It's 2018. Why are these primitive things still in use?

It's 2018. Why are these primitive things still in use?

Attached: piston engine.gif (225x300, 3.58M)

It's 2018. Why are brooms still in use?

Why are wheels still in use?

Fuck you and everyone who thinks like you. One of the biggest reason why modern cars (and tech) are so shitty

Elaborate

Would you rather have Doritos in your engine?

Because the fuel has an incredibly high energy density for being so stable and easy to transport.
High compression lean burning combustion engines are reaching the point where a full sized normie car can hit near 40MPG highway while outputting decent power.

Nothing is close to replacing them yet.

Attached: i8zciv2ilopdvfa5shhk.jpg (1600x1066, 216K)

This. Where is my hovercar?

Something being old doesn't automatically make it shitty

Isn't there a better way to extract that energy than creating an explosion in a chamber that forces a piston down to crank a shaft?

I like mine

Attached: Keiffer_Castagnier_20valve_4age_MR2_MK1_swap_2011.jpg (1600x1200, 725K)

Not really.

Electric motors are old

Best thing that we created so far, if you have a better idea, present it.

Figure that out and patent it, you'll be rich.

Attached: 1358372559227.jpg (120x117, 3K)

you can have little people in there instead that push it real hard

I can make a better way to make energy out of your anger by cranking a shaft through your mother

Attached: ZeroTwo.jpg (1191x1072, 233K)

Rotary pleb?

Electric motor + fuel cell + the 100+ years of innovation that went into piston engines

And?

carfags are lazy that's why.
they don't like new stuff because fast etc.

how ever eletric will get there as it has everytime

This

It's because you're a faggot.

That's a 4a-ge, I have an MR2. That's not my engine though it just looks nice.
I'm a pretty big rotard too, looking at picking up an FB pretty soon to build a retarded high revving bridgeported 12a.

Fuel cell?

Attached: stupip.jpg (600x485, 40K)

its not about what you extract the energy from the problem is WHERE you extract it
inside a car it produces emissions
inside a power plant it still produces emissions but they are captured, reused and treated before being vented to atmosphere
by producing the energy in a specialized building then transmitting it to your vehicle and storing it in a battery emissions vented to atmosphere are reduced overall
electric cars also do away with mechanical linkage inefficiencies due to friction, extra weight that was used to reduce emissions (muffler, CAT ect)

Wheels are botnet.

Nice. Is that a Mister 2?

But then you'd have emissions from burning fuel in addition to emission from producing batteries

>Nothing is close to replacing them yet.
sorry for my ignorance but what about electric cars? are they meme? are they lying to us that you can go really fast with electric car too?

Yeah, like I said above, that one isn't mine, but my engine is ugly
>pic related is mine

Attached: IMG_20180312_175905100_HDR.jpg (1333x1000, 1.23M)

EVs don't have the same range, can't be refueled as fast, and they cost drastically more.
There is no EV comparable to an entry level Mazda 3 or 6.

>emissions from burning fuel
Use nuclear energy.

Yes

so we cant hope in near future for a car that you charge up durng night and that battery can last whole day at least?
i guess long range travels are out of question since you will lose days just on charging it at some motels
so when some day oil runs out, what would the low class people do?

>Jow Forums talks about actual technology for once
>autists get a sperg attack if they don't see a desktop thread every 3.5 seconds

>emissions from burning fuel
at a power plant which can deal with those emissions better using specialized heavy machinery that would not be practical to fit onto a car
>emission from producing batteries
yeah because evaporating sulfuric acid and lithium bearing rock dust to get lithium needs so much fuel, its not like you can just dump sulfuric acid in a hole in the desert then let the sun do the work for you nope no one would ever do that its too sensible

this all ignores the fact you can get electricity from other sources while fuel needs oil and condensing hydrocarbons out of the air uses more power than those hydrocarbons would produce

btw. imo hiro should make a board, say, /cpu/, specifically for computer related technology

Just make these for cars and gas stations can charge and sell them instead of gas

Attached: 51SBd8OJxWL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 22K)

The battery chemistry has to change pretty radically for that to be the case. Even on the high of the EV market there are major issues.
If you live somewhere with a cold winter season you can look forward to your normal battery range being cut in half or more. Going from just 70f to 20f can cut the range of a Tesla model S in half while driving on perfectly clear highway.

Solid state batteries with higher capacity will help, but they still are going to have issues with the cold, and they still won't be as cheap as conventional vehicles.

I don't know about you, but I get kind of annoyed when I see threads about cars on Jow Forums, because I mainly use /o/. On Jow Forums, there are some people who know about cars, but there's also a lot of people who THINK they know about cars and just spew nonsense. It's the same if I see a thread about technology on Jow Forums or something, there are just a bunch of people who don't know anything and just get in the way of actual conversation.
Oh wait I just summed up every board on Jow Forums, even when they're on topic.

is our battery technology even that great? i thought we are still stuck like decades ago in that field
can we even store large amount of energy into batteries to last for a long time even without using them for months?

How about series hybrids AKA extended range EVs?

and of course nobody mentions those things to ordinary people
yeah a tech person would asume that the cold would interfere but ordinary people are hyped about electric cars thinking that its the same thing "its just using electricity bro,no smoke,no noise, i can charge my car at home lol"

I like muh boomboom

Did you notice how every tool brand has their own standard. The same would happen in cars

>Connections need to be durable enough to repeatedly disconnect and reconnect while being heavy enough to handle lots of current
>Heavy equipment needed to rapidly move around 1000lb battery packs would be expensive to put in every single gas station
Not impossible, but impractical. If you want faster charging, supercapacitors are more likely, but then the cars would have even less range

>threads about cars
more like car engines, which makes it more in the middle of both boards
>Oh wait I just summed up every board on Jow Forums
that's one of the drawbacks of forced anonymity and loose moderation
anonymous boards are places for people without credentials or those who want to say things they wouldn't support with their name (because they know it's bullshit or they aren't so sure about them themselves)

Batteries are still shit

But that's why we have governments and standards

In the very near future everything is going to be a mild hybrid, a lot of manufacturers are already starting to implement systems that kick in when cruising at highways speeds. That combined with cylinder deactivation will push fuel economy up when the engine is putting along at low RPMs. Thats a big difference from the conventional hybrid though.

The issue with anything using a battery is going to come back to the battery itself. They're just lack luster unless you live in a place like California with fairly consistent weather year round. With rang extender vehicles like the Chevy Volt for example, when your battery dies you're left with a woefully underpowered combustion engine. Nobody wants to be stuck in a 3000lb car with under 100hp because their battery pack ran out on a chilly day.

Well in general EVs are either a luxury or a utility for people who don't drive much so they aren't really effected by it. Though its still a very real problem. Every fanboy EV forum out there has threads about what they call "pre conditioning" where they use plug in electric heaters to try and warm up their car battery. All in hopes that their range isn't demolished so they can make it home without stopping at a super charge station.

Now imagine that instead of a Tesla with a massive battery, living in California, that they lived in Minnesota, and had a puny Nissan Leaf. Thats why EVs aren't anywhere near replacing combustion engine cars.

>more like car engines
or should I say, portable energy generators, because this thread is too general to even talk about car engines in specific

I see. But can't they just warm the batteries with the engine's heat if it's an issue?

you guys seem to know things about this
so i have to ask the normie question:
when will oil run out? is it even possible to know this?
can we replicate it in our labs? what are we lacking?

If you'd ever experienced engines like the F140 B V12 you would know. Electric or hybrid engines, not even those twin-turbo engines can create that character of a naturally aspirated V12

what engine heat if your car was outside in the snow whole night?

Well, we could try perfecting the whole biodiesel stuff that gets written off for unreliability and screwing with crops. I'd say that's a good start.

Oil rich families kill anyone who advances tech. Cars now are on par in fuel efficiency of cars from a hundred years ago for instance plus cars don't need to run on petrol or diesel.
Cars can run on water etc.

Couldn't one just start the engine beforehand? It doesn't sound too complicated to me.

You could do that, but its wasteful to burn gasoline in a hybrid just to produce heat for the battery.
Cold is always going to be a problem because you can't beat the physics of atoms slowing down. The solution is to have a battery with a large enough capacity that the reduction from being cold doesn't end up impacting the driver.

In the long run EVs will win out, but the batteries just aren't there yet. Though to a lesser extent the same issues impact every sort of mobile device. Every laptop, smartphone, and other battery powered device out there would immensely benefit from doubling in battery capacity. Theres tons of research into the field. Not a whole lot of results filtering into the market though.

Petroleum oil is definitely finite, no question about that. When it will actually run out depends on how much we use, and how much is actually left.

>Cars can run on water
the fuck?

Are you talking about the sound and vibration from the internal combustion engine? Because that doesn't impress me. They are merely the symptoms of an inefficient system

Car fags gonna get BTFO when self driving cars become ubiquitous and they evantually outlaw driving because human fags are bad at driving and you'd be wasting hours of everyone's time

I've had Audi A3 in Russia.

During winters I could reach my place of work before engine became warm enough for heater to start working. I don't see how starting it beforehand would really help.

hold on, i mean even petro fuel freezes at just like -10 degrees celzius
that seems shitty, what do people do who live up north

>even petro fuel freezes at just like -10 degrees celzius
Not true.
There are some problems with diesel, but it's just mixed with something. Benzin has no such problems. At least at reasonable temperatures (-30°)

Hydrogen.

my bad, i was refering diesel

People in seriously frigid areas drive trucks and leave them running 24/7.
Some places get so cold that even the transmission fluid would thicken to the point that it can blow the gear box apart if you take off from a dead stop when its cold.

it seems more complicated than just pointing out that water has hydrogen in it

true

The storage medium is water.

It won't on a car like that because there's nothing passing heat between the petrol engine and the batteries, not even proximity.
What I mean is: what if a car was designed to pass/pump some of the hot air around the combustion engine to near the batteries as required? If implemented correctly it may help somewhat, I believe. Combustion engines are only like 40% efficient by themselves, so you would have plenty of heat available.

Batteries are a joke. We have to find a way to generate electricity/power in the car.
Nuclear is an option, but hopefully we can find something better.

Attached: Untitled 32.001.jpg (1024x768, 108K)

The by-product is water

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Attached: 2018-Mazda-RX7-front.jpg (640x411, 27K)

Yes and pre-combustion the fuel is water.

There are fuel cells but the life expectancy is short and they require expensive minerals

Good luck, Vision-chan!

what about this

Attached: ngin.gif (240x320, 365K)

No, just H + O2, not H2O

we will have to use anti gravity anti something something dark anti matter

on behalf of /o/ fuck you, cars are fun af and maybe if you went outside for once you'd realize why

posting superior W A N K E L

Attached: InsidiousShamelessGuineapig-max-1mb.gif (240x162, 444K)

>but hopefully we can find something better.

Hard to find something better than nuclear, just think about the Voyager 1/2 mp/kg of plutonium.

>But that's why we have governments
I don't normally say this but... cuck. Industry can decide their own damn standard and will.

Bad cycle, burns oil by design.
Liquid Piston's rotary design is super interesting though. Its like they inverted the whole thing and gave it three ignition points instead of just one.

The H is stored in H2O and extracted via electrolysis. Storing pure hydrogen isn't practical compared to extracting it on the fly.

Attached: gotta_go_fast.gif (500x283, 1M)

have to follow speed laws, have to drive on the road perfectly, if you do anything else, you get massively fined or put in jail.

yea, no, driving is bitch work I will be glad to be rid of, would be nice to be able to take a 2 hour commute to live where property is cheap, get dropped off at work, and have my car fuck off on its own to a place to park for cheap or free, come pick me up, and then another 2 hours I can use a laptop to do shit other then drive.

you want fun, either drive on a track or go off road, driving a car is not fun, it's a means to an end.

What is remote start?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sauce me, senpai

anywhere im wrong?

Soyboy detected

Attached: 1523529270677.jpg (640x578, 125K)

the part where you follow the law like a soy-infused faggot

Is that a Wankel?

>A century and a half of perfecting and refinement
>Total global adoption
>Calling the current year ICEs primitive

Wewest of lads. . .

>being this new

Attached: 18595587_10211160796190120_7839778072792997465_o.jpg (2048x1365, 337K)

Imagine the loser encapsulated in this post.

the fuck are you talking about? lithium batteries are more efficient the colder they get.