I'm thinking about buying a Mac mini to attach to the back of my TV along with a few 4Tb HDDs and use it like a sort of...

I'm thinking about buying a Mac mini to attach to the back of my TV along with a few 4Tb HDDs and use it like a sort of home media server. It's pretty cheap but I have a few questions.

I run GNU/Linux on my desktop and laptop, and was planning on downloading torrents on them (as it's convenient) and then using SFTP to transfer them across. Googling seems to show that I can use ssh, but does anyone have any practical experience in using ssh between Linux and Mac?

Can the Mac mini output at 4k over HDMI? Again Google is sort varied on its answers, and I'm thinking that as it's like 6 years old will it have problems outputting at 4k?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Attached: Mac_Mini_35536140_35522798_35440708_35522800_02.jpg (770x433, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

geekbuying.com/item/GeekBox-Open-Source-Cross-TV-BOX-Android-Ubuntu-Dual-Boot-4K-RK3368-Octa-Core-2G-16G-AC-WIFI-1000M-LAN-BT4-1-HDMI2-0-OTG-358067.html
gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_562952.html
hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438
everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-1.4-late-2014-specs.html
ark.intel.com/products/83508/Intel-Core-i5-4278U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I run GNU/Linux on my desktop and laptop, and was planning on downloading torrents on them (as it's convenient) and then using SFTP to transfer them across. Googling seems to show that I can use ssh, but does anyone have any practical experience in using ssh between Linux and Mac?
Holy autism, just run Transmission and use the web GUI or Transmission Remote GUI. Why download and transfer when you can put them where you want them?
>Can the Mac mini output at 4k over HDMI? Again Google is sort varied on its answers, and I'm thinking that as it's like 6 years old will it have problems outputting at 4k?
The latest revision might be able to handle it.
>Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

> just run Transmission and use the web GUI or Transmission Remote GUI. Why download and transfer when you can put them where you want them?

Well I'm case I need to make backups, etc, or move things from one HDD to another after it's already been downloaded. Also ability to ssh into it and control it is useful for a myriad of reasons beyond torrenting.

Just get an Apple TV and put the drives in your Linux box. Infuse on the App Store will let you play videos from NFS mounts.

There shouldn't be any problem with ssh between them.
>2018
>nfs
jej

>Mac
GTFO Jow Forums. Buy a fucking thinkpad.

I have a ThinkPad, I was thinking of something to use specifically as a media server that would constantly be plugged into a TV, and I thought a Mac mini because they're cheap as dirt, small, and have good compatibility and since they have a bash i'll be used to it, especially as I'll be only interacting with via the terminal.

Why are you so anti-apple?

Nice Apple shilling thread.
Sage.

>Mac mini
Why do you want to pay for this overpriced trash box? There are lots of devices like it, from $25 Chinese HTPC to $80-100 ones that run Linux or Windows stock - often with Intel Atoms. And then of course the NUC and so on.

$500 macfag toy will just have you pay another $20-50 for half the software you actually want to run things with.

Ok, what other computer would you suggest with the same form factor and good GNU/Linux support intended for a long uptime?

Attached: apple-mac-mini-size-comparison_jsp3.jpg (400x364, 17K)

Well I don't know if an Intel atom will be able to output video at 4k, but I figured an i5 probably would. That was one of my questions.

A MintBox, you can easily install any other Gahnoo/Linux distro on it later if you like.

You can get an i5 much cheaper than a fuckig Mac. See: thinkpads.

Examples:
geekbuying.com/item/GeekBox-Open-Source-Cross-TV-BOX-Android-Ubuntu-Dual-Boot-4K-RK3368-Octa-Core-2G-16G-AC-WIFI-1000M-LAN-BT4-1-HDMI2-0-OTG-358067.html

gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_562952.html

hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438

Mainly depends on the GPU/CPU [for actually decoding the video - 4k video isn't a single thing, there are video codecs like h.264/5 and soon AV1 and VP9 and so on] and supported HDMI standard. 1.4a can do 4k at 30hz.

Always depends on the exact thing you want to do. You're in different trouble if you want 3D 4k video at 120hz or 4k video from game streams at 60hz or whatever.

Then again, the vast majority of people I know give a fuck about 4k video even if they got a 4k TV.

Ah, the children are awake I see.

PS: The linked boxes aren't the only ones, just browse the usual /csg/ stores. You can pick your shit from hundreds.

And then of course also the NUC and so on you might buy domestically.

The pro model has a AMD A10 Micro 6700T, which is Intel Atom tier. I want something that can play 4k video.

Attached: Screenshot_20180415-131851.png (1080x1920, 159K)

>suggesting saving money and using machines and os made for adults instead of mactoys
>children
End you'reself.

>children like the premier office workstation laptop that is built for development work

quit samefagging

We've told you: Get. A. Fucking. Thinkpad.

It will run everything flawlessly if you put a minimalist Arch or Gentoo build on it. Put it on your tv cabinet under your tv.

>Intel Atom tier
I think the last two or so generations of Atoms can deal with 4k h.264 / h.265 video.

If all he intends to do is hook it up and use it as a media server then I don't see the problem.

>Made for adults

He wants to use SFTP and remote command line working, seems fairly adult to me.

Just report the cunt and move on.

You must be new here.

I can run SFTP and terminal on desktops from 2000. He doesn't need a Mac kek

>i have no arguments so i will claim samefagging

I already mentioned I have a ThinkPad that runs Debian. I want something smaller that I can keep permanently plugged into the TV and hooked up to some HDDs.

>I think the last two or so generations of Atoms can deal with 4k h.264 / h.265 video

Shit really, let me check out some benchmarks. If that's the case I might just get some cheaper HTPC.

Pic related, OP.

Attached: l5FljX9WNp0WC4893R3TayBYiuqNB_AX_TBVFe2R3qg.jpg (640x462, 68K)

>i have no arguments so i'll claim newfag

Would a desktop from 2000 be ideal for a home media set up, user?

The funny thing is, assuming this isn't a shill thread, OP WILL eventually get a Mac mini despite only requiring a machine 1/3 the cost to do what he intends to do just because it looks cute and it's marketed for these uses.
Truly the epitome of a consumerist cuck.

Hey dumb fuck. OP isn't using this computer for large scientific experiments.

It was merely to show you how little you actually require to do that.
Pretty much any decent laptop released recently will do the job just fine.

> benchmarks
They won't work for arbitrary video games at 4k.

The thing they have is the required video output and GPU acceleration for the two most common 4k video formats, h.264 and h.265.

The mac mini has 4-year-old haswell CPUs. Don't buy it. Buy an intel NUC instead. Smaller, newer chips with better GPUs. The haswell gpu can't support 4k60.
specs: everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-1.4-late-2014-specs.html
CPU specs: ark.intel.com/products/83508/Intel-Core-i5-4278U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz
Max 3280x2000@60Hz and 4k is 3840x2160.

Even more reason not to spend a shitton of money on unnecessary overpriced garbage then.

But he's explicitly stated he doesn't want to use a laptop. Scenarios like this are exactly what a HTPC is made for.

Report and hide.

Op here. Thanks, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. Guess I'll look into other HTPCs. Thanks.

Odroid C2, retards.

I already posted that suggestion in

Get a load of this try-hard.

Pi

I have the i5 3210m CPU version with Intel graphics 4000, basically the late 2012 model, and it struggles to render YouTube videos above 1440p.

Maybe the i7 version is more capable, idk.

Or maybe the models from late 2014 with Iris Graphics 5100 might do better with 4k content.

Only 2014 models support 4k thru HDMI.

>EVRRY USECASE IS THE SAME ALWAYS
>BY USING GENDOODOO IM PRACTICALLY A SCIETNSIT
>THERE SHOULD BE A LAW FORCING NANNYS AND ARTISTS TO LEARN LINUX SHELL COMMANDS BECAUSE MY AUTISM IS MORE IMPORTATN TO ME THAN ART AND MY CHILDREN JUST LIKE IT WAS TO MY DAD BEFORE ME