I have no architecture background but I guess architecture is one of the most important "free time" hobby you can have...

I have no architecture background but I guess architecture is one of the most important "free time" hobby you can have apart from programming and woodwork.
Looking forward to buy this and learn in free time. What do you guys say? Anyone tried ?

Attached: autocad.jpg (347x145, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sketchup.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on what exactly you are doing. You can do pretty much everything with Autocad, but if your focus is architecture only, Revit is much easier to learn and use.

Also, buying Autocad? Jesus. Get yourself a student license and if you actually need the full version, just pirate it.

Nobody buys Autodesk products until they are making money with them.

Yeah not gonna buy. I was wondering why this software is costly. Is it considered high skill software?
Do professional autocad users get highly paid?

I'd suggest learning AutoCAD from Lynda.com. Thus far I've learned Illustrator and Photoshop, and I like their lesson structure. Is paid for, and I'd suggest it, otherwise pirate the lessons I guess.

Well duh of course it’s expensive it’s top of the fucking line software. Average architects probably don’t get paid that much but the firm that they work for is in charge of buying the licenses

>pirate the lessons
Damn. This never crossed my mind.

have you read any books about architecture?
or are you going to play around with some new toy and dont know what youre doing?

No, I have not read.
I have done immunology like this with a friend working for a biotech company.
Architecture is my next hobby.

You seriously shouldn't consider experience while starting something. No one starts with a experience. If it interest you then you can do it.
If you think one should do something just because he hasn't done that before, then you are basically killing the fundamental of learning.

AutoCAD is boring, usually arch need very precise details on blueprints, this make good autocad but if you want pretty design or express ideas.

Use sketchup.com/ or blender as design software, Unreal Engine begin good to build demos.

It's used in massive engineering/architectural corporations and the majority of the money goes into support, not the actual software. Most of their API is built off of antiquated software infrastructure and graphics pipelines from a decade ago and has evolved minimally since.

Don't buy AutoCAD unless you are actually looking to design an actual building you want built. For a hobby you might as well use FreeCAD.

AutoCAD is the biggest piece of shit software you will ever use. The UI is horrendous, nothing works properly. About 90% of learning AutoCAD is learning how to trick it into doing what you want. Even the simplest shit like filling in a bunch of closed lines in a complex drawing will turn into a chore because AutoCAD will just put its hands up in the air and pretend the command you just did was actually performed when it wasn't. You'll then spend hours drawing anchors to move parts of your drawing away from the rest so the hatching actually works, and then moving that part back again.

Don't bother learning the UI, the ribbons are chock full of nonsense icons, with twice as that hidden in submenus - instead learn which commands you type into the commandline box at the bottom. Prepare to mash escape dozens of times when AutoCAD once again goes full retard, and enjoy ZOOMING being a part of the commands it records for the undo function.

Also fucking pirate it, even the basic one costs like 6k+

Attached: 1471641710503.jpg (323x510, 100K)

Architecture is really broad, user. Do you at least have a specific direction you want to take? Cities? Houses? Parks?

Yes, SketchUp is good to get some quick models out.

:most important "free time" hobby
What?

:colonposting

If you want to do useful engineering stuff that might help you get a job learn Solidworks.

It's a program that pretty much everyone who uses it thinks is badly designed and restrictive but it's the best one with the most features.

That's discouraging.But is it like saying?Windows sucks but in reality Windows has most market share?
What this would imply is, short time these software sucks, but in long run they are useful ?

I know. I have all the free time in the world.
Imagine me as being heir of businessman whose business is pretty static revenue throughout the year. I worked as network engineer but left the job because I didn't get time to study for myself, I was doing Computer Graphics course.
My areas are visualization, graphics and now I want to add architecture to it. Closely related.

It's the industry standard.

Some arch books.

Architectural Detailing Function Constructibility Aesthetics 3rd Edition - Edward ALLEN
Architecture Form Space and Order Francis D.K. Ching
Hopkins O Reading Architecture A Visual Lexicon 2012
Architectural Drawing Course MO ZELL

AutoCad is used for massive amount details unions, materials, screws, electricity/water/heat/cooler supply,

Attached: ArchUsers.png (894x1147, 496K)

Revit is 10x harder to learn than AutoCAD. I work in the structural department of an multi-discipline engineering firm with ~100 employees and I'm one of only a handful of people who know Revit. THere has been attempts for years to train the rest in it but without extensive 1 on 1 instruction or sending the employees to actual classroom courses it just hasnt happened.

With that said you are better off learning Revit if you're interested in Architecture as BIM is the future.

Revit is easier once you get past the basics, ACAD fags just refuse to learn anything that isn't ACAD. Don't even get me started with Dynamo.

Attached: 1357938783534.gif (650x450, 50K)

Thanks user

Really? I thought Revit was such a breeze to learn compared to autocad. And there's also what the user said earlier, autocad is just a mess built on top of older messes that "somehow" works.

>visualization, graphics
Not exactly close related, but I see your train of thought. Still, go and read what exactly architecture is about, your idea of it is still pretty vague. The books user linked earlier are a good start.

Im a student and have autocad, learning how to use it seems difficult for me when i want to make something specific (i have everything i need in my head to make what id like, which is a vacuum forming machine) but i can't draw worth shit on how to make it so AutoCAD seems like the easier route , mostly so i can learn how to use it and I've had always liked 3D modeling stuff

TL;DR best ways to learn AutoCAD?

>TL;DR best ways to learn AutoCAD?

google what you want to do