Why doesn't Jow Forums support using old MacBooks? I've heard the 2009-2012 models were decent

Why doesn't Jow Forums support using old MacBooks? I've heard the 2009-2012 models were decent.

Attached: macbook gaming.jpg (2626x1833, 403K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t7XSckjRPo0
youtube.com/watch?v=4KuVvb9DTaU&list=RD4KuVvb9DTaU&index=1
coreboot.org/Board:apple/macbook21
youtube.com/watch?v=wSV1UFbhJ-A
youtu.be/DzcgT_fiVTA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because they're still apple

You heard wrong.

my 2010 15 Pro was extreme comfy

Why do mactoddlers keep trying to shill their faggy toddler toys on Jow Forums? I heard you troglodytes hate technology.

They're good laptops.
Retina macbooks are better

>promoting used laptops is the same as shilling for Apple

This almost made me get up to get my Word Munchers CD.

>applel chinkshit
>good laptops
Pick one.

Attached: 1501485254346.jpg (1800x4500, 1.93M)

Mid 2012 models are serviceable and can be found for reasonable prices. Upgrade RAM, SSD, replace battery with chink knock-off, and get a non-apple brand charger. Re-apply thermal paste and clean the shit out of it to keep temps down.

youtube.com/watch?v=t7XSckjRPo0
Not quite.

Lipstick on a pig.

How will mactoddlers EVER recover?

I've got to admit hat my 2012 MacBook air is holding itself pretty well after these years

Even more
youtube.com/watch?v=4KuVvb9DTaU&list=RD4KuVvb9DTaU&index=1

they are decent, I have a spare one, pretty much on par with my thinkpad but worse screen still they are expensive as fuck in comparison and prone to failure.

Because macs are fucking trash, and only gullible morons or literal sheep can use this shit and call it good.

Attached: 1522057751969.jpg (989x1006, 165K)

The only thing that's trashy about a mac is the price. MacOS is fine.

>press enter twice to become root
>fine
Mactoddler morons need to be gassed.

>I can't do simple board repair

Attached: brainlet.png (183x275, 4K)

>i pay $3000 for chinkshit with a gay fruit logo over just $300 chinkshit

Attached: 1517615229912.png (429x245, 38K)

Enjoy your dead gpu

It sucks that every single year of that generation have inherit dedicated gpu design flaws, so to get something that will actually last you have to buy a 13 inch. match that with the fact that every newer macbook with the high resolution screen is virtually useless because nothing can scale correctly to it

So, you hate Unix? Fag.

>replace battery with chink knock-off
This is what kills it. Chink knock-off batteries only last 6-12 months. Keep the original battery as long as possible.

no trackpoint or equivalent

>have a 2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch
>have a ThinkPad X230 (2012)
>both have similar dual core i5 mobile CPUs
>both support 16GB of RAM
>both have 12GB installed
>both have SATA3 SSDs

>MacBook
>throttles and gets hot, fan always going
>OS X Sierra is a piece of shit with no good software
>High Sierra has all kinds of security holes and bugs
>OS X eats 6-10GB constantly
>has only two USB 2.0 ports
>a fucking chicklet keyboard
>glued in battery gets around 7 hours
>made of recycled soda cans, dents if you look at it wrong

>ThinkPad
>never throttles below 2.2GHz, barely uses fan even under heavy workloads
>can be hackintoshed to support FaggotOS, only needs new wireless card
>dual boots Fedora KDE and Windows 10 LTSB
>both operating systems work perfectly, only using around 1.5GB RAM idle
>Windows 10 even does this with the page file shut off
>has two USB 3.0 ports
>has express card slot for two more USB 3.0 ports
>has one always on USB 2.0 port, can charge phone when laptop is powered off
>industrial strength plastics and metals, have dropped it down stairs
>removable battery, gets average of 12 hours
>has a glorious trackpoint, the best of all pointing devices aside from a mouse
>has a wireless hardware kill switch on the side
>keyboard feels great, back light is twice as bright

Tell me why I should go back to the FagBook for anything but XCode, and tell me why I shouldn't just sell it and transfer my OS X install to a hackintosh desktop.

Attached: 1520296019656.jpg (550x733, 78K)

It's because Jow Forums is biased. My 2013 air has given me next to no issues compared to my thinkpad.

>Keep the original battery as long as possible.
Or buy chinks, threw away pouches and jam 18650 into it.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro but I have no use for it anymore. I used it pretty heavily for several years but the hard drive fucked up in 2015 and I lost all my data. I just have no reason to use it when my windows computers do so much more.

I'm glad your MacBook is fine, but I strongly doubt you ever had a ThinkPad. I'd recommend the average Jow Forums user to pay a MacBook on 12 months because Windows is shit but nvm
>inb4 a pic you found on the Internet

Attached: Screenshot_20180416_004129.png (1024x768, 915K)

>the hard drive fucked up in 2015 and I lost all my data.
You didn't have a backup? You deserved to lose your data. Replacing the HD is a simple job. Takes 15 minutes.

My 2012 upgraded to 16GB ram is god tier comfy mate.

Apple laptops, especially from that era, are extremely good. There are a combination of autistic free-tards, poor people, and paid shills who regularly bash them. Most of them have no experience with them and regurgitate false or half-true memes, because it's the level their intelligence can understand.

I'm a programmer who has never been interested in hardware shopping. I really just like algorithms, software architecture, etc... I have a basic understanding (read: a couple of classes in college) of hardware but no real passion for it. I'm looking to buy a machine. I have a macbook pro and I really like the touch pad. Is there a similar touchpad on another, cheaper computer? I also like the shallow keys on the new macbooks, but I could do without.

>removable battery, gets average of 12 hours
no it fucking doesn't, stop shilling this shit you fucking moron
the keyboards feel the same, it's all sissor switch bullshit

Attached: thinksoy.jpg (125x85, 2K)

>MUH ANCIENT C2D MACHINE IS THE BESTEST DONT EVER DARE USE A DIFFERENT LAPTOP THAN ME OR UR GAY
>meanwhile never gets a spectre patch

Because only brain dead troglodytes use macshit.

I have a iMac and a Mac Book Pro 15 late 2009 and both have never given me an issue. I would agree that the ThinkPads are good PCs. I had a PC repair business for years and ran into very few issues with the ThinkPad hardware wise.

I like using old Vaios

They not only look nice but they're easy to repair too

Attached: maxresdefault[4].jpg (1920x1080, 134K)

Kill yourself nigga

You tryna sell it?

I had important stuff backed up but I lost all my stupid Jow Forums images. And I did replace the HDD but I dont really use the computer anymore when I have windows machines that can do a lot more.

what the hell
if you go the right 6 you get stuck immediately
but if you go to the down 6 then 15,12 you're also stuck
how are you supposed to get to the finish line

did you have any problems with the GPU?

1.) They're gay (literally, see CEO and apple's gay agenda)
2.) They constantly overheat and thermal throttle compared to XPS machines of similar cost but of higher spec.
3.) used models tend to have their batteries explode or swell up significantly.

So you tryna sell it or nah?
[email protected]

If you say so, faggot.

Attached: Screenshot_20180415_233659.png (1366x768, 1.38M)

I'm not a fag, either new or old

bought an ibook many years ago in college. pricing was similar of today. wasn't a couple years until the power cord died in smoke and hinges broke. not proud.

>Replace thermal paste
>Keep throttling anyway

Apple is shit because fag jobs didn't liked fan sounds. The fact this shitty product is more form over function it's not a discovery to see why it's a failure

should add lots of peers went mac when os x came out. windows was actual garbage it wasn't even debateable, and getting linux desktop was work. os x was a solid solution. now you can use any os really.

Macos is literally the worse thing about.
The literal child interface and lack of proper programs means you need to keep using vms.
Plus you can't update past a specific os verlsion when apple say it's time to buy a new

in his defense computers used to be fucking loud. you could even heat a small room up several degrees with a standard single cpu tower.

what would be perfect is a fully modular coreboot laptop with a xen layer to run whatever.

Sounds good. Mac is trying as hard as it can to force walled garden policy, same for Microsoft latest w10 is coming with a shitty policy forcing you to use windows store apps

he means the 68+ battery you fucking mong

I have a mid 2009 MBP. I haven't used it in a year or so because I got a new macbook just because my old one was slowing down on some sites like twitch.

It's the best computer I've ever owned. Great keyboard, great build quality. Ive run that thing pretty hard and the only thing that's given me trouble is the battery stays charged half as long as it used to. The keyboard was great. The trackpad was amazing, especially for its time. Snow Leopard is an awesome operating system. I can just about guarantee Apple will never make computers as good as that again.

see but yeah, vm wasn't a popular option in 2000 when os x came out. lots of people switched to powerbooks. they had a lot of features that didn't exist or where a pita to get working on linux like wifi, sleep/suspend, gigabit internet, firewire (best externals used firewire)

because they're too expensive for what they are, even used/on ebay

my 2010 mb pro lasted 6 years and the only issue i had was i had to replace the little hard drive connector twice, but it costs like 10 bucks on ebay and is easy to install.

still wont buy another, but still, having that level of issue with them is not normal, clearly you're fucking clumsy and dropping them a bunch or something

Damn, I have both as well and literally find the trackpad on my Thinkpad unusable after using the Macbook.

>number munchers visible in op's pic
>troglodytes
I just want you to know that at least one person saw what you did thar.

>2011 mbp
>glued in battery
This is how I know you are lying

Eat shit and die, you fucking imbecile. Go look up the specs and teardowns right fucking now, jackass. You're so wrong it hurts.

Attached: 1kMYLTANqRGJCWOA.jpg (3423x2567, 1.31M)

i'm still using a 2012 macbook pro. upgraded the ram when i got it, and put in an ssd at some point. only recently had to replace the drive cable. power cable needs replacing, but electrical tape works fine for now. might put some heat shrink tubing over it. lasting me longer than some garbage plastic laptop would have.

>comfy
"Comfy" means literally nothing, you fucking degenerate.

Got a Macbook Pro 2015.
From a hardware perspective the only thing I really dislike is the lack of an ethernet-port. And the stupid giant snob logo. Seriously lucky that I ordered camo-pattern sticker because the fucking fruit shines through the first dark layer.

It has great battery life and build quality. And backlit keys were a nice first for me.

Installed Linux on it after 2 years because it was becoming obvious that Mac OS makes people stupid. Among many other issues with it.

it's not glued in.... i run a business that used to service these all the time.

Also fuck dongles

>Have 2013 Macbook Air
>Install Debian Sid on it
>100% of drivers for the stupid laptop components are found because everyone and their mom had this model
>Hardware is still working 5 years later

>Have random HP shit laptop
>Install Debian Sid
>No driver for chinkshit LM4002751CUNT widget controller
>This is the only laptop that ever used that component
>No support because only 10,000 people ever bought this piece of shit
>Have to use Ndiswrapper or some shit with the Windows driver
>2 years later hardware just starts failing
>Still have to pay the Microsoft tax

Attached: donttreadonnet2.png (1279x727, 36K)

yes in 2009-2012

They were very decent. I'm dreading having to replace my late 2012 model, it's provided over five years of flawless service. I hear these things don't last much longer than six, sadly...

Had one of those back in the day, it's now on loan to my parents. Solid computer in many regards but honestly after picking up a MBPr, the only thing I would give VAIO the edge on is awesome case design and good colour reproduction on the panels. God I miss those cylinder hinge designs, I still have a 13" VAIO with a similar design but the specs are utter garbage. Need to figure out if it can take a Linux distro (probably not due to Sony being fucking retards about custom firmware) to speed it up.

writing this on a 2010.

its a good machine. should last till 2020

>it's not glued in
I fucking own one. It is glued in.

I have the late 2011 13” with aftermarket SSD and maxed RAM and it’s pretty comfy. The intel GPU is pretty weak and has been left out of the recent !etal changes but overall I just use it for work and it’s more than enough. I’m a Linux sysadmin.

I’ve been considering what kind of Linux distribution I’m going to use on it after the OS X support ends.

You can update to Linux.

On some you can even flash to Coreboot: coreboot.org/Board:apple/macbook21

> and the stupid giant snob logo
If your backlight breaks though, you can use a flashlight or a sunny day to light up the middle of the screen through the logo.

>heavy as shit
>crap battery life
>heavy as shit

Thinkpads are nothing but a meme, sorry. I'd rather own a chromebook than a thinkpad, hell, it's got better support and I can take it places.

I have a 2010 15" MBP. It works far too well to upgrade at this point. Running Debian and living it up!

>hinge problems
>aluminum meme
>dead gpus
no

This. Mine was SO BAD.

>The literal child interface and lack of proper programs means you need to keep using vms.
Seeing as you can natively run most *nix applications on MacOS that must mean you think Windows has any "proper" programs. At least learn about computers before you start posting on Jow Forums.

>tfw late 2013 retina macbook
>still get over 5 hours of battery after 600 cycles
>still more powerful than the average laptop by quite a margin
NEVER OBSOLETE

I have a chrome book. It's OK. Kinda sucks how everything just launches a browser tab and the settings page is made for idiots.

Yeah they are shit. Always have been.

I run GuixSD on my 2008 Macbook (first run of the aluminum bodies) and it's great.

Still use a 2010 white-body macbook, installed Sierra on it and it runs fine. Put a SSD and new battery in it. No need to buy a new laptop.

I did.
Kernel panics at least once a day.

I have one that kernel panics every 5 minutes so now it's just a fancy paperweight.
My 2015 13" is still going strong though after 900 battery cycles and lots of abuse

Can someone hook me up with that pic of a full curved guy sitting in front of a Mac ? Golden ratio version is highly appreciated

if you can't clearly see why using apple products is even worse than use privative software then you should considering kill yourself.

OK listen everyone, THIS IS THE FINAL EXPLANATION youtube.com/watch?v=wSV1UFbhJ-A

If you can't find the truth on this single video then kys.

>crap battery life
you're retarded

What is this 'kernel panic' you speak of?
I'm planning on buying a macbook pro retina 2015 15" later this year.

dude if you don't know what a kernel panic is please gtfo

Kernel panic is the loonix BSOD

the reason i asked is that i'm buying one and i'm wondering how difficult this solder job is
youtu.be/DzcgT_fiVTA
never soldered anything before.

My mid-2009 Pro 13 was given to me,and it's my comfiest shitposting machine. That's all that I use it for, though. Battery is still surprisingly ok. Every other machine I use regularly does actual work.