Why do Jow Forums shills thinkpads so hard, are they really that good?

Why do Jow Forums shills thinkpads so hard, are they really that good?

Attached: 61ceeb17b843622d80040d582d7310a3.jpg (940x492, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.lenovo.com/py/en/solutions/pd030267
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

>simple
>cheap
>utalitarian
>resistant
It's the range rover of computers

Attached: RangeRover.jpg (736x736, 110K)

>bad display
>old parts
>bad touchpad
>unnecessary iconic clit
>overpriced and hard to get
overrated

range rovers are overpriced SUVs.

They're just business class laptops that Jow Forums can afford.

Its not good but its cheap

You mean like Jeep Wrangler, modern Range Rovers are nothing like that.

I don't mean the new shit ones
also get

>old parts
that's why it's good
>bad touchpad, bad display
just like any other out there - for it's price it's fenomenal
>unnecessary iconic clit
fag detected
>overpriced adn hard to get
probably the cheapest and over abundant laptop out there

get ?

Attached: 05_Lenovo_Thinkpad_X230_35313302.jpg (770x433, 58K)

>bad display
It's fine if you are doing software development, and I've seen worse. At least this one doesn't give me a headache.
>old parts
Most laptops have low power dual cores now, so it's not much of an issue. Buy a desktop if you want power.
>bad touchpad
>using a touchpad
If you want to be productive, you should try to do everything without touching your mouse
>unnecessary iconic clit
It has superior speed and precision to all but the best touch pads. If you need to swap between keyboard and mouse a lot, then you barely have to move your hands, which is something I often miss when I move to a desktop
they're plentiful on ebay

you're forgetting the best part. That amazing keyboard. It improves productivity so much compared to my dell xps.

resistant and rugged laptops

>really well built
>probably the best keyboards out there
>portable with great battery life
>water, dust and drop resistant
>usually come with dual batteries, SSD, optimized for linux, all the neceasary ports
>easy to upgrade
>really cheap

Attached: thinkpads.webm (853x480, 2.56M)

They are not.

They are mediocre and over-hyped laptops.
A laptop is a fucking laptop.

Does linux work better on laptops or desktops generally speaking

same shit

most hardware these days is supported on Linux, so it's not much of an issue anymore. The only place that you'll run into an issue is linux libre.

>bad display
actually one of the better laptop displays
>old parts
that's irrelevant
>bad touchpad
some of the best actually
>unnecessary iconic clit
works better than a touchpad
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
>overrated
what?

Thinkpads come with a shitload of different display qualities. You can get an excellent IPS display on a T60P, X220 or X230. Every display option on the T420/T430 is pure eye cancer but a slightly technically inclined person can swap in a much better X1 Carbon or Alienware display for $60 to $80

Range rovers are chelsea tractors you rube. I don't know enough about cars to say with confidence what the /o/ equivalent to a good thinkpad is but it's certainly not something on a land rover chassis.

no

I'm done with MS Windows and all the shit that entails.

Thinkpads are the best laptops the market can offer

also GET

Attached: thinkpadx22042.jpg (600x400, 51K)

GETTTT GOD FDA

>slice
based

GETT GOD DAMN IT

Attached: 1518083322124.png (512x512, 51K)

Because Jow Forums is shit

get this

Attached: keyboard-backlighting.png (940x448, 635K)

Reptilian confirmed.

I like mine..

Attached: goodExport.jpg (1000x1123, 422K)

I'M SO ANGRY

Because they are good laptops. But I'd rather buy new chinkbook. In wallmart. In Saturday.

Cheap, plentiful and with great Linux support.

>utalitarian

Attached: 1523796625541-k.jpg (645x729, 48K)

Your nose empties out to the back of your throat so that image isn't correct.

It will survive a nuclear holocaust, I've had my t420 for 2 years, like a week ago I slammed the keyboard as hard as I could while playing league of legends, I knocked my lamp off my desk but my laptop stayed on

No. Unless you just need a reliably built laptop for $50 theres no reason. Anything newer than a T410 is malware infested locked down chinkshit.

modern thinkpads are nothing like the X220 and olders.

I love watching people's reactions when I whip out my T420. There's almost this look of shock that such a brick exists.

>middlenub
I think not

Yes actually. I don't own one but every time I get to touch one I am amazed at how sturdy and "professional" they feel compared to what most "professionals" use. They're pretty cheap too.

Can you send me your oldest one?
I'll give you my boipucci in exchange if you want

how good are the X series?
they just look like regular laptops to me

Attached: 8.gif (450x337, 1.95M)

I'd much rather a Landcruiser than a Land Rover

chink botnet trash

dell latitude = same as
more available

Nah, thinkpads are the 3k civics of computers. Not pleasant to look at, but gets you from point a to b for a low price. And they are everywhere.

couldn't be more wrong if you tried

No, they just can't afford anything better and they're ok for the price.

Using a ThinkPad ATM, OP! Using it for 4 years now. Classmates have super powerful laptops that can play the latest games, but my machine powers on the quickest, it's well configured and it runs great.
Also, I've dropped it a bunch of times, nothing grave happened.

pretty much sums it up

i personally like the aesthetic, so i guess it's the best of both worlds for me. i understand disdain for it though.

Seems like this is the Thinkpad thread, so here goes, I guess.
I've been looking at a reasonably cheap laptop for coding at uni. I already have a great desktop, but I'd like to have an option for the classroom/group project meetups/etc. - would there be any reason not to grab a cheap recent Thinkpad from ebay and throw a Debian netinst install with i3 and emacs on there? I've seen 2013 X1 Carbons going for ~$500, which seems like a steal to me.

yep that's the way to go

> an option for the classroom/group project meetups/etc
> Debian netinst install with i3 and emacs
The meme is real.

You could get a T420 even cheaper. Or an X220.

To be fair, I know a girl in our LUG who has a Thinkpad with Gentoo on it who basically speaks in verbal greentext. So guilty as charged, I guess.

>$170 T420 on ebay right now
Can't say I'm not tempted, but the 1600x900 screen gives me pause. Coding at 1080p and up is not something I wanna surrender lightly.
I did survive on a 1600x900 screen for years though, so I dunno, I could be persuaded.

Don't forget heavy as fuck. My work fell for this meme, we all have 3-6 year old Thinkpads. My 5 hear old HP is faster, lighter and has better battery life.

Aw yeah, it's hard to upgrade these to 1080p. Maybe Carbon is the way to go then.

I forgot swapping out parts for at least older Thinkpads was a thing. Know if it's possible for the newer Carbons?

used thinkpads are some of the only laptops worth buying at the lowest price points
of course, other business laptops are ok too, but thinkpads are common and often the best

this is the reason I buy them, anyway.

It should be, but RAM is soldered there.

Yeah, but I don't think I've seen a model come with less than 8 which is perfectly fine for just a couple documentation tabs + emacs and whatever build system I need a the time. I'm mostly concerned about the screen.
I'll do some more digging around. Thanks user.

>Not pleasant to look at
Imagine having such plebian taste.

Nice quad makes me feel alive

thank you so much , god

So they can definitely endure a lot of physical damage, but what about lots of use over time? I've bought so many desktop computer parts and phones. All my electronics seem to commit suicide after 4 years of use. Thinkpad+Linux fags have the right idea I think

i used a t43 up until 2013 , that shit came out in 2005

> lots of use over time?
RoHS solder degrades over time, however there were some LGA Intel laptop CPUs up to Haswell.

You're thinking of the land rover defender. the range rover is what middle class women drive their boyfriends kids to school in.

No, lenovo chinktrash is a joke

>I don't mean the new shit ones

A perfect analogy for Thinkpads then

I went from a T510 to a gaming laptop. And I must say it's a huge improvement. Better screen, faster, a graphics card, lighter. Although I do miss the sturdy design. And my gaming laptop doesn't allow the easy removal of the hard drive and battery, which just plain sucks.

>Why do Jow Forums shills thinkpads so hard, are they really that good?

because of buyer's remorse and cult behavior.
used thinkpads are good price/performance and lack a lot of the problems that newer """modern""""" laptops have, but they're nothing special and have their own share of issues

What I don't personally get are people still using stuff like T60s. Do they just not need anything better than decade-old hardware? Are they doing nothing of actual value in their day-to-day lives?
Don't get me wrong, I loved my T60p. But that was over 10 years agp. I need better performance now.

My x220 is perfect in any way but the fan spins when browsing or watching a YouTube video. I bought it refurbished, hot air comes out plenty tho
What do or is this normal?

You're talking about a 35W mobile CPU, it's going to get hot no matter what. You can try repasting the CPU but that will maybe reduce the temps by 10°

trip quads confirmed for superior taste

Attached: 1513769417978.jpg (1033x679, 168K)

Imagine a Civic that can withstand a bomb blast, that's what you're comparing a Civic to. Don't do that again.

They are durable which for people that can make the most out of old tech, build quality is the biggest priority. I got a used HP laptop that was only 3 years old and its ergonomics are terrible, it throttles idling, and its frame will dent and chip with the no force at all. The HW might be nice, but the design is terrible and probably won't last me more than another year.

Meanwhile my 2009 EeePC with a single core lasted me for more than 7 years. I only stopped using it for daily use because I needed Windows for work, and the background processes were using 90% of my CPU and RAM. Still perfectly fine for note taking though.

You can say what you like but the p51 shits all over the mbp and any other laptop. P71is absolute madman tier. Ultrabooks are for faggots.

>range rover
It literally says L A N D R O V E R on the front

Attached: brainlet-6127.png (211x152, 7K)

I've been using the x260 for work since it came out and I can upgrade to the x280 anytime I want and it's a supremely competent machine. Hotswapp-able battery with up to 17 hours continuous use, the 1080p IPS I've got in mine is perfect and the keyboard has a really nice feel to it.

>Facebook trialing its new AI robot at a legal trial
Clever

Tray to mode the bios and desactive intel turbo boost. works for me

>posts land rover

Attached: Ludacris-Range-Rover.jpg (640x640, 96K)

>mfw drive a civic
>mfw typing this on a thinkpad

Attached: smug beatr.png (747x615, 691K)

user avoid used X1 Carbons, not replaceable batteries, if it has a 4th gen processor avoid that shit (retarded touchbar like Mac, shit trackpad, shit layout), better off spending a bit more and getting a t450s, which is probably lenovos best value for thin laptops.

the 25th anniversary edition just came out and it looks nice but its wayyy overpriced

Attached: 06_Thinkpad_25_Hero_Birdseye_B_C_cover.0.jpg (1200x800, 102K)

>base model is $2,549.00 CAD and it only has 1080p

Attached: 1515186627378.png (701x670, 605K)

Range Rover is a model you stupid idiot

That better be a Type R

While they are good, they are not cheap. don't let user tell you that. if you're going to buy 2nd hand anyways (which user will tell you to do) you can't compare to new prices. they are having a bad price/perf in the 2nd hand space. but they're plenty durable. and the clit is a must for alot of users including me.

Are you sure about the replaceable battery bit? support.lenovo.com/py/en/solutions/pd030267 I hear you on the touchbar, was planning on buying a 3rd gen for cheap.
The t450s does seem pretty nice, though I'm torn on whether the roughly $200-300 more I'd spend on a used one would be worth it.

>old parts
>he thinks old automatically = bad
o i am laffin

Just get a macbook, install an OS of your choice (assuming you're too autistic to use mac's os)

>they are having a bad price/perf in the 2nd hand space
uh compared to what? the whole point is that you can get them secondhand for cheap and that they have good/average specs which should provide plenty performance

I'm thinking about upgrading my x60 to a x230 with a modded keyboard and modded monitor. Would this be a good upgrade or should I just get an x220.

Okay if Thinkpads are shit then what laptop does Jow Forums recommend

Attached: 1503819805752.jpg (960x960, 238K)

it looks old an boxy, Jow Forums wants to look like a "hacker who doesn't give a fuck about normies"