Buying an HP Spectre X360 over the Dell XPS 13 or other premium Windows ultrabooks

>buying an HP Spectre X360 over the Dell XPS 13 or other premium Windows ultrabooks
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Spend the extra couple hundred bucks for a Dell XPS, Microsoft Surface, or an Apple MacBook. Hell, you could even save a couple hundred bucks for a Lenovo, Asus, Samsung, or LG and it will be better.

I made the mistake of buying one and I regret it after 2 months.
>synaptics trackpad is a piece of shit. takes too long to move the cursor and scroll, despite changing the sensitivity to lowest and setting scrolling speed to fastest. bad input latency as well. I come from an Asus Zenbook and I swear it took me like a week to get used to because it's so shitty.
>screen is so dim, have to set it to 75%. I'm not joking.
>overheats and fan runs like crazy when using it while charging
>coil whine when in sleep and charging
>webcam is shit quality despite being FHD, actually worse than HD webcams in other laptops
>never use the 2in1 tablet function anyway, but when I did use it I had problems with palm rejection, causing it to scroll or zoom

Now I bought the Dell XPS 13 instead, it's coming Monday. However I have problems selling the HP Spectre X360, no one fucking wants it because it's an HP Spectre! Who the fuck buys HP laptops at premium prices? If I were to sell a Dell XPS, I wouldn't had as much of a problem selling it. It's been like a week and I only had 3 people reply, 2 people offered $300 below what I asked for. And I bought this for almost $500 off retail price! Fuck.

>TL;DR: Don't buy HP laptops, even if they're premium

Attached: 20180415_135111.jpg (4032x3024, 1.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Dell-XPS-13-9360-FHD-Adaptive-Brightness-Issue/m-p/5147490#M927042
h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/My-HP-Spectre-X360-convertible-is-overheating-with-high/td-p/5593206
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA65C71N4965
dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=312K3
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Enjoy your autobrightness that can't be disabled.

it can be disabled in BIOS, retard.

HP is so fucking hopeless on pretty much all of their $500+ computers.
Their Stream devices are pretty fucking solid though, and that's their cheapest line.

it seems most people buy the cheap laptops when it comes to HP

No it can't you fucking retard.

it can though.

Post a picture of the BIOS.

Google it yourself retard I don't have the laptop in person yet.

dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Dell-XPS-13-9360-FHD-Adaptive-Brightness-Issue/m-p/5147490#M927042
Kill yourself.

I bought the 9370 though.

>link literally has a link to the tool to fix the brightness issue
No, kill YOURself. And thanks.

Get some reading comprehension you fucking retard.

I don't know why XPS 13 is so shilled. It has marginally better reliability compared to something like the surface book.
Certainly no where near thinkpad level or latitude etc.
If you are comfortable spending money on a transient unrepairable device get a surface book 1, otherwise stick with thinkpad (but I have to shill the screen on the surface lineup is fucking beautiful, cant believe lenovo cant get their head out of their ass and make a 3:2 screen).

How about you, fucking retard?

>This tool is _only_ available for systems with the QHD display
Get a rope.

That's because the FHD panels don't have this "feature". Again, YOU off yourself.

what if you want something with 8th gen processors?

>For the FHD display, allow to repeat: No possible.
Are you in 3rd grade or are simple an ESL?

X1 carbon if you want that XPS form factor

>starts at $1900 CAD
fuck no, I'm not paying those prices for chinkshit

Pay shit get shit

i doubt a new XPS is that much cheaper

I bought a XPS 13 9370 with 8th gen i7, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD for $1400 CAD.

>buying consumer garbage

Attached: IQ brainlet.png (951x451, 133K)

>Exploding batteries
>Shit drivers
>Keyboard keys popping out
>Die out of misterious reasons
>Burns your legs

Don't ever buy hp laptops.

>spending any significant amount of money on a laptop in the year of our lord 2018
good consumers. you will come to regret any money you spend on a laptop, I promise.

Should have bought a Jow Forumsram.

>Implying you can build a laptop

Attached: 93.png (645x729, 49K)

I thought that its been the majority opinion for over a decade now that HP makes shit laptops

>buying LG anything
the 2018 version doesn't even have an LG logo on the back because they know it's embarrassing

i like my laptop, no regrets here

this thread is full of retarded 12yo faggots

Attached: old-lady-giving-the-finger-e1284953678311.jpg (430x397, 26K)

>t. lenovo thinkpad faggot

what?

that doesn't even make sense

>buying a new Dell XPS13 when you can get certified refurbished one year old models for as cheap as $500-700 when there's a 15 or 20% coupon.

It's like 1/3 the price because you waited a year. And refurbished ones typically have better QC becaused it was actively repaired, plus even if there is a problem the Dell outlet includes a 1yr warranty and lets you get extended warranties that have the same coverage as new.

I want an 8th gen 9370 though.

>HP
h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/My-HP-Spectre-X360-convertible-is-overheating-with-high/td-p/5593206

HP still hasn't fixed being a fucking housefire.

Don't buy HP, ever. The only half decent thing they ever produced is their microserver series. Everything else from HP is massive shitnunfit for consumers or the enterprise.

How do you all feel about the asus 2-in-1? Also, how important is thunderbolt?

Don't buy asus laptops. Shitty build quality. My trackpad scratched really badly after barely 2 years of usage.

Attached: 20180117_105631.jpg (4032x3024, 3.56M)

Well, I had bought a dell 13 in, but had to send it back in twice because of coil whine. Also, had several issues with multi monitor support. The only computer left on my list would be the surface pro.

you get what you pay for.
Asuses are reliable craptops. Sure, they aren't made from premium materials, but if you are not a soy-boy it doesn't matter.

I really liked this one
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA65C71N4965

yeah I gotta say I'm never buying an Asus laptop again.

ur life ur rulz.
i don't understand crapbooks for 1000+ bucks

It's mainly for work.

>premium Windows ultrabooks
This sounds like shit lmao. How can you have anything premium with Windows? It's all mediocre shit regardless of what hardware it's running on. Flickering icons, random command prompts popping up and disappearing, LOL what a mess.

> "muh premium laptop"
If you want to pay premium and get what you pay for, get either a:
> Thinkpad X1 Carbon
> Surface
> MacBook Pro

replace thinkpad x1 carbon with dell xps

I would like to not spend $2000+ for that kind of premium. I'd be fine with sub-premium.

>$2000+
what are you talking about?
> Macbook Pro starting at $1200
> Surface Pro starting at $800
> X1 Carbon starting at $1400

>paying those kinds of premiums for chinkshitpad
i'll never get these people

exactly...starting.

>MacBook
>premium
Bhahahahahahahahahahaha

I bought one for $600 new in the box off of some guy. Pretty good for that price.

how?

> great display
> great build quality
> decent specs
I'm a Thinkpad fan, but it is a good product.

I'd still get the T480s with the MX150 tho...

I got a killer deal on a top spec xps 13 9370 and regret it. I wouldn't call it a premium device that's for sure....

would you say it's worse than the hp spectre x360?

I work at a university as a developer. I get to browse their classifieds. Some Asian kid was given it as a gift and didn't want it. He tried to haggle but I stuck firm at $600. He showed up with it in the unopened box. Actually, damn good for that price. It took me 1 day to get used to the track pad but now that I have that down it's all gravy.

No I work at retailer that sells both of them. The xps 13 9370 is far better than the x360. That being said I'm not particularly amazed by the xps either. Main issue I have with it is the wifi card, running into what appears to be driver issues. Everything else is fine so far.

>It took me 1 day to get used to the track pad
yeah the trackpad fucking sucks. i came from an asus laptop and the synaptics trackpad fucking sucks.

it took me a while to get used to it as well, had to speed up scrolling to the fastest and sensitivity up to the lightest. still shitty.

the trackpad is the main reason why i'm selling this thing, but no one local seems to want it at a reasonable price. i got it for almost $500 off retail price so i was willing to negotiate...

Dude the track pad isn't that bad, really. At least my experience hasn't been bad. I didn't even change the settings. Some things take patience. Really, any laptop with a trackpad can only be so good. A wireless mouse is the best thing for laptops of any build desu

compared to my old asus laptop which the trackpad isn't that great, yeah it's a piece of shit.

>buying an ultrabook
>spending anything over what an Acer Assfire 13" with same specs costs
Step the fuck up Lenovo, Iris graphics for 400€.

Where the fuck is my Ryzen replacement and why did Acer fuck it up with soldered single channel memory with no upgrade slots?

>
>I really liked this one
>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA65C71N4965

>KEK ASUS

ITT we post our regrets about every dollar we spent on laptops.

I realized laptops were a scam back in 2006. Only buy desktops since. My work bought me a T460 maybe 16 months ago. Probably one of the best laptops out there, and it's still mediocre.

All you wrote it true. I have bought 10 of these to work.

Checkkin

>KEK [INSERT LITERALLY ANYTHING]

You must have bought one of the cheap Walmart HPs mate. My envy is going strong after almost five years, the only problem is the hinge and I totally understand that moving mechanical parts break

>Dell XPS, Microsoft Surface, or an Apple MacBook
What?
You're a stupid nigger, buy a Thinkpad.

No

My only gripe is cooling is kinda shit, though mine is a dv6 and it was over-specced for the laptop cooling design. (i7 3632qm (35w 4c8t i7), 8gb of ram and a amd 7670m dedicated gpu (a fairly weak gpu but enough for light gaming). Under load it would hit high 90's with high performance windows setting (trying to turboboost) and inevitably had to use balanced profile with turboboost disabled (so stock 2.2ghz) or it would throttle to sub 2.2ghz, and even at that it would still hit high 80's/low 90's. Also have an old compaq still (celeron 550 2ghz single-core, 2gb ram etc.) that has a soldered heatsink, took off the bottom of the laptop to help it to run without overheating, idles at high 50's, any sort of load sends it soaring towards high 80's, and nearing full load sees it hit close to 100c and throttle. Pic related is the old battler.

Speccy didn't attach for some reason.

Attached: oldlaptopspeccy.png (816x537, 237K)

Nice.

It can be disabled. Dell released a patch for it forever ago.

You're the one who is retarded, user.

dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=312K3

If any of you want to get a Lenovo, I advise you check if it's got a hardware whitelist on it.

I got a Lenovo edge 15 80H1 and eventually looked into replacing it's hard drive but Lenovo whitelists the parts so you can't just use anything that should work.
You can't even get the same exact part from external sources. Only from Lenovo.

"Lenovo for those who do." Yeah well "those who do" are usually the people who actually want to do shit with their computers.

Now I gotta change the hardware ID of anything I install and potentially break them.

Lenovo is horrible chinkshit, don't know why anyone would recommend

user btfo

but it's so thin... looks so cool... the grey one looks like something out of Deus Ex.

Is this a new meme?

the XPS 13 is thinner and looks better

>>buying an HP Spectre X360
yes because it comes with Ryzen

Attached: 1024px-AMD64_Logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 65K)

no it doesn't lmao

>no it doesn't lmao
>AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Core
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1

apologize faggot

>envy

HP has been shit since the 1990's its never been good. My first pentium pc was an HP and I spent more time fixing it than playing games on it.

You want value for money and high specs? Get an Asus or Lenovo

Do you want a well built machine? Get the Dell xps. Fuck the 15" goes up 32gb ram plus gfx card and 4k touch screen for a non gamer laptop.

If you want a mac get a macbook pro.

If you run linux, get a chromebook.

HP is literally the shittiest premium/enterprise brand ever, even fucking Lenovo and their spyware is better.

Fuck, I'd probably take an Acer before HP, at least they know they're shit

>even fucking Lenovo and their spyware is better.
no they're not.

>Ever buying HP

My Dell XPS 13 just arrived. Can't wait to use this thing.

fuck off back to r/bitcoin

I'm a little tempted by the Elitebook 13, that MX150 is awfully tempting. I do wish they put one in the XPS 13.

The Dell XPS 13 is soooo much better. I can already tell that the keyboard and the trackpad is so much better.

what does this have anything to do with bitcoin?

So with a budget of ~€800, what sort of laptop should an ordinary Joe buy these days?

I was tempted by the Acer Swift 3, but the glossy reflective screen is so off-putting.

Attached: Capture (2).jpg (626x630, 46K)

asus is probably better than acer, although the build quality is not made to last.

Personally I prefer the Latitude 7000 series design over the XPS

The XPS 13 is still gorgeous. I love this laptop.