Do I still need to learn C++ to make 2D games in 2018?

Do I still need to learn C++ to make 2D games in 2018?

Attached: alfabetajuega-pepe-the-frog-1-151217.jpg (950x534, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs50.github.io/games/lectures
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Use a game engine like Unity, Unreal, or game maker. If you're asking a question like this, don't even bother learning C++.

Attached: 1444801847459.jpg (447x353, 34K)

/thread

Learn C# and do unity

2D games? Don't go with Unity, Unreal, whatever engine that is more known as a 3D engine.
Also, it's not a matter of C++ but a matter of engine.
I can make a cutesy soyboy 2d game with lua on love2d, I can make a 3d game with C on sdl (insanity!!!) I can make a text adventure with Rust. It's just a matter of preference but I'd go with Lua on Love 2D since I enjoy Lua.

This.
Unity is bloated overkill for 2D games, and is ultimately still rendering things in a 3D plane.

Why would you shoot yourself on the foot using a slow to develop language such as C++ for something that doesn’t need high performance such as a castlevania clone? Don’t use C++ for that especially if you don’t even know C++

You don't even need it for 3d games.

>learning is bad
>huh duh use a shitty engine because learning today is too hard
kys pajeets with your enterprise development skills.

Stop talking like an underaged faggot if you want people to take you seriously

>he needs engines to make a good 2D game
ok pajeet.

Attached: 1.png (500x536, 504K)

you'd be a mile ahead of the normies user do it

but also unity and unreal like the normies so you can get a jobbie

Learn C++ if you want to NEVER finish your game.

It's not even a matter of needing it's a matter of choosing the best tool. Again, underage kids like you would never understand how adults work.

if you use an engine over a framework for 2d then you should just quit

ok pleb.

>kid
>tells others to use toy software
lmao

Attached: pixel.jpg (230x291, 88K)

No but you should anyway.

> Soyboy doesnt know how to use distructors

Yes and C++17 is a good language.

Why? C++ has very specific use cases and 2D games is not one of them. The 2d games that make the most money are all done with engines, mostly Game Maker and Cocos2d-x

Productive adults don't care about impressing autists on the internet that they can use C++, adults want to get a project finished and shipped so they can move on to the next one.

Get the old portable copy of Game Maker 8 and learn GML.
All you really need desu.
I've even used the Faucet plugin to make Game Maker games that run over TCP/IP

yep, yea ya do, but it's easy. also don't be hysterical.

the only thing I like about Lua is the whitespace

If you ever plan to work in embedded systems, learn C/C++, and then make your own little sandbox using SDL

If you want to Webdev or basically anything that isn't embedded systems, learn whatever you want to learn for that, then pick an engine that is closest to what you've already learned.

It won't really matter either way, because in both of those cases you won't actually ever release a game, you'll just be tinkering. Which is fine. But keep your expectations where they belong.

>>learning is bad
>>huh duh use a shitty engine because learning today is too hard
do you have a single quote to back that up
>kys pajeets with your enterprise development skills.
t. neet burger

I don't think you appreciate tables and prototypes enough, f.a.m. You should give them another try.

Godot

no
all you need is javascript

no but you should if you dont want to make a shit game

Love2D

it's not a good idea to try to make an engine for your first game

there's a ton of options
pygame, love2d, godot, unity, unreal, gamemaker (yes it's actually pretty good)

no you can do them in JavaScript + HTML5 canvas

Listen to this guy, OP. For 2D PC games, Game Maker 8.0 is all you really need.

Meanwhile in the real world, everyone who actually makes money from 2D game development is using Unity, because your stack is completely irrelevant in 2D and only the art matters.

Here you go faggot: cs50.github.io/games/lectures

>Making money from games
The time and money you spend making some shitty 2D performer is more than you would make on min wage. The only possible exception is if you have a proper day job.

Attached: 1516965478422.png (341x340, 169K)

>Don't go with Unity
there are many 2D games done in unity like Hollow Knight, ori, cuphead etc.

no,if you learn c# you can create both 2d and 3d games with it and have a wide selection of game engines you can use(unity,cryengine,godot,xenko) all support c# natively.also c# has the best standard library console api if console games are your thing.

CBA to read all other responses because I'm sick. The easiest way to make 2d games is pick up an engine like GameMakerStudio 1.x or Godot Engine (FOSS). There are a lot of other popular frameworks going around that use lua/C#/C++, just stick to Godot or GM:S if you want to spend more time working on the game rather than debugging.

monogame uses c# too.and unreal engine has an unofficial c# plugin

Use SDL

dont give op a retarded advice.he wants to make a game not fuck around with spinning 3d cubes.game engines are literally built for this reason.retard.

racist

Fuck no. Just look at the system requirements for Chrono Trigger. Do you think the devs of this port know jack shit of programming

Attached: Screenshot_20180416-085740~2.png (1080x1139, 151K)

if all "productive adults" care about is making a shitty mario clone then sure, using an engine is fine

meanwhile if you want to accomplish anything technical, you need to dig deeper