ReactOS 0.4.8 released!!

>ReactOS is expanding its target to support NT6+ (Vista, Windows 8, Windows 10) software. Although in a really greenish and experimental state, the new additions in 0.4.8 should start helping several software pieces created for Vista and upwards to start working in ReactOS.

reactos.org/project-news/reactos-048-released

Is it time to dump Gentoo?

Attached: quicktime.gif (1237x808, 544K)

So is this basically Wine: the OS? Why don't the major distros have built-in compatibility layers?

There was a code leak years ago and ReactOS was under suspicion of being using it, it took like 5 years to prove they were not and development was being dragged behind during all that time.

Why not just use windows?
Because Windows programs are trash

>after 20 years of development our shit runs worse than XP SP0
>let's put our time and effort in Vista

as long as it benefits Wine project, I suppose.

Attached: 1491070225300.jpg (500x500, 145K)

Year of the ReactOS shitboxes when?

ReactOS is never going to have all the custom shit hidden in windows that fixes old misbehaving applications
It also likely never will werk with most drivers and devices. Which isn't really an issue since it runs fine in a VM

why is DirectDraw support missing if wine has had it since forever?

At least doesn't includes systemd shit.

why does the clock go backwards?

Is it missing?

>why not just use windows?

Attached: image_1.jpg (971x565, 141K)

oooh might be good.

it was the last time i tried ReactOS (which was the previous release I think)

Everytime you're using quicktime player it actually moves you a bit into the past.

Can this run Steam/vidya yet?

running steam/vidya through this wouldn't be any different from just using wine

Read the article;
"In 0.4.7, several games were having trouble initializing properly when using native graphics drivers. Jérome has not just fixed this issue but also a palette regression in DirectX which was garbling colors when playing games."

Wine has different mechanics for output and all. ReactOS isn't WINE.

Sure, but there's absolute zero difference in actual use and they even share each other's progress.

kek kek

Attached: LainLaugh.gif (700x704, 295K)

Okay, can we screw their kernel as extension to linux kernel?

11:34 video not play
11:35 edit compatibility
11:36 'install failed'
what did reactos devs mean by this?

>shitty loonix assets
discarded

They've meant that is still shit.

Wine already exists and does actually werk

>still no thumbnails in file picker

I still don't understand the point of reactos. Everything it can do Linux can do better.

Isn't ReactOS a waste of time? Devs are already porting most games and applications for linux nowadays. At this point I think it will be easier to companys develop their software for linux than build a whole new OS to simulate proprietary software with compability.

ReactOS is like FreeDOS or AROS or Haiku. It's an attempt to straight up clone the project founders' favorite OS when the original vendor dropped it. GNU/Linux never aimed for exact binary compatibility with other unices, which meant there was a much lower barrier to getting it good enough for users to start doing things.