Ubuntu?

Ubuntu or some other Distro?

>want those Linux benefits
>switching from Windows
>no significant knowledge of how to do it

is the privacy / security that Ubuntu provides good enough?
(compared to Win)
because I'd like that user friendliness
or are they the Microsoft of the open source world?
cus I've heard claims that they collect user data too

thanks

Attached: Ubunt.png (578x578, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fixubuntu.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think in your case it's better to transition to Mint (Windows experience, lack of Linux knowledge).
IDK if Mint spies you though.

>IDK if Mint spies you though.
if it does, defeats the purpose of switching to Linux
thanks though, I'll look into it

Mint Cinnamon or MATE. Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Cinnamon and MATE are Windows-like DEs that make the transition even easier than Ubuntu.

Mint is the most "windows" linux. I like it better than ubuntu.

Is Manjaro good for some kind of casual nigger?

Pfft... linux doesn't spy on you... or does it...?

I'd recommend Mint. It's as easy to install and use as ubuntu and cinnamon is better DE (imho) than gnome.

do you know if it collects user data though?

Look into deepin, it worth a try
>potential chinese botnet tho

It tries to test the waters.
Recommend Mint too BTW. With Cinnamon it kind of feels like a modern/superior Windows XP. Except it is Linux.

Meant that Ubuntu tests the waters. Mint is without the BS of Ubuntu

ok awesome, thank you
its top of my list of potential distros rn

ubuntu [and debian] release/s broken releases
17.10 a shit
16.04 ok

ubuntu [and debian] release/s broken software [on purpose] with no warning
>cdrkit

ubuntu [and debian] a shit

Yes, that's its whole idea

Use Xubuntu, you'll distro hop for a while when you're comfortable and then end up coming back to Xubuntu

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1435255263395.png (300x293, 134K)

You mean Cinnamon is the most like Windows. You can use any DE.

Also remember that you can try most distros from live usb before installing.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

>is the privacy / security that Ubuntu provides good enough?
After fixubuntu.com/ it is.

install fedora

best distro

Why not antiX?

Any good distro will collect data but it's all opt-in. If you're switching from windows, Fedora (Cinnamon version) will be nice. If you want stability go with Ubuntu sometime after version 18.04 is released; that's their 'long term support' version that gets updates for 5 years.

This
Couldn't decide what to choose for 2 years. Switched to xubuntu, never switched again.

Pick one:
Mint Cinnamon, Zorin Lite, Ubuntu KDE, Solus Budgie

The most "windows" linux is Makulu Lindoz, but it's shit. ChaletOS is fine though, but there's no point in trying to make Linux look and behave like windows.

it doesn't really need to look like Windows
I just don't want it to require hours of learning to use

Any OS will require hours to learn and you'll have to make at least a hundred mistakes before you learn it.

>fixubuntu.com/
Does Xubuntu block/filter out Ubuntu shenanigans?

next time use the official ubuntu thinking emoji

Attached: reallyMakesYouThink.png (326x326, 17K)

>official
All emjois are white on my (Ubuntu based) distro, what font do you have to use to fix this?

you have to install fonts-noto-color-emoji, which is included by default on 18.04

Kurwa

then go with mint