Terminal emulators

The best terminal emulators for Linux and why?

Attached: terminal-icon.png (1024x1024, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728
git.suckless.org/st/tree/config.def.h
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I using quake, because is very fast to open and switch tabs normal.

Yakuake + terminator

Konsole

termite

st

Currently using termite, but looking to switch to suckless just for muh minimalism.

Default gnome terminal works fine for me.

lxterminal

Light, fast, has tabs, actual preferences without editing config files

Alacritty

Xfce term, love the drop-down feature.

terminator

iterm2

Sakura

This and I use tilix when I want something fancier.

They're all the same you sperg

this

Why would you want to emulate a macbooks terminal, I thought Terminal was just a linux terminal on MacOS

Attached: 408a922a-3bec-442c-8020-9baea449b0e9.gif (498x498, 613K)

- XFCE Terminal
- urxvt
- termite

With zsh - oh my zsh

st if you want to be autistic minimal

urxvt if you want to be sane minimal

>has used the term that comes with gnome and kde
>all terms are the same lololol
there is a huge diffence between, say, st and lxterminal

rxvt - the best

rule of thumb: if the window title doesn't change to the process currently running in it it's shit

These guys know what's up

Attached: Gnome-Terminator.svg.png (2000x2000, 241K)

Yakuake is great for quick commands
Currently using Konsole, but I'm open for suggestions.

This

MATE Terminal

Konsole has issues displaying bold fonts, so does GNOME Terminal and Tilix with my preferred font. MATE Terminal just werks™

rxvt-unicode or alacritty

i like urxvtd and urxvtc.

>He has titlebars
rule of thumb: if you have titlebars, you're retarded.

>alacritty

Is this actually any good? I presumed it's just some SJW meme

>I'm not retarded
pics or it didn't happen

rule of thumb: if you're calling people retarded for their choice in terminal emulator, whether they have windowbars, or other inconsequential autism, you're retarded.

St. Supports unicode, truecolor and everything else it needs to. Doesn't do anything that almost no one needs, or that is redundant with tmux.

It is just excellent.

Also: Yea, somehow truecolor support is worth mentioning in 1990+28. There are STILL shitty terminals that only support 256 colors, like urxvt.
If you want to fix this on your machine, see: gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728

any comfy st config that you can share, I'm thinking of moving, but I don't have the time to fine tune from scratch.

> st config
I pass the font I like for some applications with the -f parameter.

I don't think I ever needed to configure anything more on st.

st.

9term

This.
Dunno why though, I just like it.

it's a fucking terminal you autists. why do spergs need to rice every little thing?

st

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1472745097911.png (241x234, 91K)

dunno what the best is
I just use xterm. It just works.

xterm but i'm looking for something better with similarly 0 dependencies

and here i was thinking most people would opt for rxvt unicode.

Attached: 1515881809994.jpg (1920x1018, 545K)

it's an emulator, some emulators are better than others.

urxvt
idk some guy in the internet told me it's cool and im too lazy to compile st
maybe some time i'll write my own

rxvt-unicode so I can bloat it with perl extensions

cool retro terminal

Attached: retro.png (1024x803, 619K)

I just switched to termite because urxvt seems so shit the bed for things like copy/paste and hyperlinks

roxterm

I like it.
>qt
Pic related.

Attached: 1445281588344.gif (240x200, 359K)

If you're not using an actual terminal connected to your computer you don't belong here

Alacritty because muh gpu acceleration

>not realizing middle click copy/paste is for patricians
Enjoy wasting keystrokes and clicks

urxvt if you can get a good working fonts list
Termite otherwise

I switched to mate-terminal after gnome stopped supporting transparency and said "no" when people wanted it back. Now I just automatically install mate-terminal whenever I install a distro.

Is there literally any reason not to use st?

Literally just switched the font to Tamsyn and changed the colour scheme (currently using Solarized, but I'm open tk suggestions). Also set whatever shortcut or command you use to open the terminal to run "st -e tmux" for stuff like scrollback buffers and tabs.

i use xfce4-terminal cause it seems like the best balance of fast, good amount of features and easy to set up since i'm not autistic enough to waste time setting up urxvt configs and shit

kitty

I don't think Tmux can copy and paste outside of the tmux session. Tmux is also basically it's own terminal emulator that just doesn't render text on it's own. If you need to use it to get basic features you are doing something wrong.

This. Unbloated fully functional terminal

It can with the plugin tmux-yank

I'm using tmux anyway because no other terminal emulator has its capabilities for tiling and session management, so using st to actually render the text makes perfect sense. If your terminal emulator has e.g. tabs, that's duplicating a feature and thus bloat. The same argument can be applied to scrollback.

I've also not had any problem copy and pasting yet.

terminator is fast and really customizable

st is the king idk why its taking me too long to convert from urxvt

/thread

no but quite a few are vte based

that's also up to the shell

the default one
you literally don't have to change anything except the colour of the cursor maybe
>static unsigned int defaultcs = 9;
git.suckless.org/st/tree/config.def.h

the one I use because I use it and you don't

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-16_17-27-22.png (1366x768, 356K)

actually the best. it's super fast. only problem is the heavy vram usage: starting at ~10mb per instance.

>no scrolling support
>actually the best

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Going back on topic, is anyone using regular xterm?

termux

VirtualBox + random Linux

Sakura is the best VTE

The "it just works" solution
Combine with yakuake for even more awesomeness

>inb4 it's a feature

Can you even copy and paste text in a normal way in those terms without catching an autism infection?

xterm
using a meme term like st is pointless if you have xterm installed anyways (you do)