Why linux doesn't have thumbnails? It's a basic feature

Why linux doesn't have thumbnails? It's a basic feature

Attached: 537px-Filepicker.png (537x599, 181K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

linux is a kernel, it doesn't even have a UI, nevermind implement thumbnails

if you meant qt or gtk, both of those have configurable file pickers that you can add thumbnails to if you want

GTK does not have a customisable default system file picker, at least it still didn't a few months ago when I last checked. You need to use something completely removed from the gnome environment, slapping a new DE on something like Mint wont do the trick

How do you add thumbnails to gtk file picker? This guys says you can't

I don't recommend going down the rabbit hole of looking into this because you'll just end up at the same posts on gnomes forums where this screenshot was taken from. The GTK devs don't care enough about the default file picker to fix the problem, even though it makes the default web browsing experience markedly worse using any of the distros they work with

So what you're saying is it is true that linux doesn't have thumbnails?
Isn't linux advertised as desktop OS now? How when you can't even post a picture like a normal person?

Attached: file.png (1084x734, 418K)

Gtk and gnome are deprecated, hopefully we will quickly transition everything to Qt then everything will be fine

I don't know,but it doesn't seem to hinder any of you retards from spamming that image daily.

No, linux is a kernel, not an OS

Anything using GTK has the problem, I might move off Mint because of it but yes you're right, for effected users it's a joke.

Attached: wobllerhp.png (645x729, 42K)

If that's file select dialog, where's the Open button?
Isn't that what flagship of linux desktop is using? Ubuntu? Seems like some conflicting info

>transition everything to Qt
Freudian slip much, you degenerate? Hormones won't make you a woman.

Kek

Attached: 3A95B19CE2014188B16FB86A5F71E132.png (1066x600, 276K)

>If that's file select dialog, where's the Open button?
It's a file manager
Heres the file open dialog

Attached: file.png (1106x745, 185K)

Oh ok cool. I might try linux if that's true, what do I have to do to get this to work?

Will I have thumbnails when posting a picture from Firefox?

>what do I have to do to get this to work?
You have to
1. use KDE and no other DE like gnome
2. use a distro that has a custom firefox which works with the KDE file picker
So your options are fairly limited, opensuse is probably your best choice

Make sure you avoid anything that uses Gnome. You'll get a good file picker on any distro that by default uses KDE.

>german
>weeb
why am I not suprised?

Turns out there are people who like animu on animu imageboards.
How surprising.

You both realize this goal-post moving retard is just trying to bait people into saying Linux is shit because some pieces of software don't listen to their userbase, right?

>why am I not surprised?

probably because you're on an anime website

It's worth mentioning either way because it is a major problem with gnome, don't care that this is a troll thread as so few people actually explain the problem accurately in normal threads, it always devolves into >well it works on MY machine

it does have thumbnails

Attached: dumpop.png (1366x768, 135K)

>He thinks a preview panel is a thumbnail
Kek

Qt is more superior, right? Then how do I make qutebrowser use a proper dialog?

not baiting but pls help me

Attached: 2018-04-16-225537_619x415_scrot.png (619x415, 44K)

what the literal fuck is the difference?
you see what the image is before you post it

The purpose of having thumbnails is to be able to view all the pictures all at once, not one at a time.

problem with previews is that you can only see one at a time

If you seriously don't understand the difference between thumbnails and a single image preview panel, you are beyond saving.

Probably has more to do with that particular DE or file manager than with Linux.

Trust me it's very frustrating if you need to upload from a browser often

tag your images

It requires some little known trickery. I'll help you though. Open up the calculator app and type 55378008. Now, without hitting enter, quickly go to your screenshhot tool and snap a shot of the calculator screen. Rotate the image 180 degrees. Next open a terminal and type what exactly what you see in the screenshot and hit enter.

the gtk devs suck
there was a patch but it didn't get merged

>if you need to upload from a browser often
>need
>NEED

Attached: get_out.png (427x297, 219K)

KDE distro? Can't I just install Ubuntu? I can't say that I'm exactly tech savvy but I used Ubuntu and it's relatively ok.

But why do I have to use custom Firefox? It doesn't have thumbnails by default? I'm quite surprised I must say, isn't Firefox a Linux project? I can see thumbnails in Firefox on Windows, I'm honestly quite confused as to why do I have to install some custom version on its native OS.

Ubuntu's Unity is hardly a flagship. And while it was moving in the Qt direction (they never got there, though), they scrapped Unity and are now 100% GNOME. Ubuntu just uses GNOME with a fresh coat of paint. No Qt anywhere to be found, everything is GNOME, JavaScript, CSS, and cancer.

Because Firefox is garbage written by sjw tranny faggots but you already knew that.

Use a KDE and its native web browser Falkon. Then have file picker thumbnails to your autistic content.

Did Ubuntu ever bring back that dank AF brown and orange theme? That was the best part of Ubuntu.

Not sure, haven't used Ubuntu in a minute. Found this screenshot of the latest version, but it's only got the orange.

Attached: new-ubuntu-theme-in-18.04-lts.jpg (1480x932, 403K)

You can edit GTK filepicker, so it calls KDialog.

but how, user

BUT

HOW

Media creation software on linux is pretty terrible, so there's no need to make a good file browser or file picker which has decent thumbail support.

Hmm... okay so I can't use Ubuntu, I can't use Firefox. I must admit this whole thing isn't looking too user friendly, besides I thought Linux was all about freedom yet you're saying I'm forced to use very specific set of apps to get basic functionality you would expect using a computer.
I'm still not convinced Linux isn't some experimental OS for hobbyists.

It's not, when you drag&drop from a proper filemanager.

Attached: 10654_04.jpg (600x800, 61K)

Nobody's trying to convince you of anything. There's one autistic software package, so if you don't want to deal with autism, surprise surprise, you can't choose that one. You of course can choose it if you like, but then you have to deal with autism. You not having your ideal choice available doesn't mean you don't have a choice. Go bait someone else.

Attached: 1522128200520.png (500x390, 44K)

lol linux doesn't even have a GUI

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!Winders made yew tarded, boy!

Le epic parachute escape.

Autistic? Man why are you insulting me? And how is this autistic? This is something I use on a daily basis, my work requires me to upload tens sometimes even hundreds of pictures a day (plans and textures). It is probably what everyone uses, I can't even imagine how could you possibly use tumblr or pinterest without having thumbnails in file select dialog.

Wow my Linux adventure really is off to a good start. Very welcoming community.

nice assessment there, asswipe

I wasn't calling you autistic then but I sure am now.

>tumblr or pinterest
/thread
baits out of the bag.
time to go home.

Because Firefox is retarded and will always use the GTK file picker even when you're running KDE.

Fuck off linux is full.

I know this is bait, but I do think this accurately reflects the IQ of the average Windows user. Having to help some people with the task "open your browser" is like pulling teeth. I wish there was another cryptolock purge to force these people to tablets for good.

Attached: donttreadonnet2.png (1279x727, 36K)

Wait, so OP's bait aside, there is no way to have thumbnails in a file picker unless I'm using KDE and no using Firefox?

It sure looked like it.
Hold up. Are you saying that majority of people don't use tumblr and pinterest? What world do you live in?
Oh okay so it doesn't have thumbnails. Hm that really is unfortunate. But in this case how can a regular person use this so-called Linux desktop?

>There's one autistic software package
Are you a software package?

You could've been implying that user of autistic package (native Linux web browser?) is autistic by extension.

Regardless, what programs CAN I use then? Does anything work properly on Linux? If not I'll just stay on Windows.

L-L-INUX IS JUST A KERNEL!!11111

JSUT USE KDE!!!!

Attached: 2f7.jpg (200x169, 7K)

Chromium
Konqueror
Firefox-KDE

>Why linux doesn't have thumbnails?
lmao what
>It's a basic feature
Dolphin (KDE's file manager) does, don't know about others. It's a great file manager.

>Oh okay so it doesn't have thumbnails. Hm that really is unfortunate. But in this case how can a regular person use this so-called Linux desktop?
Open the file manager, and drag and drop. How do you move files from one directory to another? Oh, look, same concept.

Op here. Glad you guys liked my thread. Unfortunately, none of you will make it very far in life falling for such obvious bait. But thanks for keeping me entertained on a slow Monday!

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

Attached: 1449015566551.jpg (500x750, 72K)

>drag and drop onto styled upload button hooked to html form using javascript
>it opens the file in the browser
Freetards are fucking braindead I swear

Attached: 0N2QxMM.jpg (600x469, 25K)

>>drag and drop onto styled upload button hooked to html form using javascript
Sorta jumping to conclusions aren't we? Are you a tumblrina too? Or do you use imgur exclusively?

>linux is a JUST kernel

Attached: 29e.jpg (600x885, 35K)

Wait wait wait wait wait... are you telling me that Windows can't even drag and drop images to an upload button?

How embarrassing.

Attached: 1519386010972.png (893x1200, 191K)

>Sorta jumping to conclusions aren't we?
It a web standard at this point you fucking moron. You would know if you browsed anything else than Jow Forums.
>Are you a tumblrina too? Or do you use imgur exclusively?
Lmao. So you can't prove me wrong. Just as expected.

No, that's not what I said. Can you not read brainlet?

>NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
>THAT"S NOT WHAT I SAID
>I WIN!

Attached: neck_face_shit.jpg (650x453, 97K)

fuck I just spotted it

>welcoming community
Get lost OwO

>retard posts non-solution
>gets called out on being retarded
>I AM JUST TROLLING YOU HAHAHAHA
Neck yourself retard. Loonix is a joke just like you.

I'm on fedora, how do I do it?

lol

>JSUT USE KDE!!!!

This but unironically.

>pic related

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-17 03-53-38.png (1280x800, 269K)

Very stock, very standard Deb stable. It's not rocket science.

Attached: 2018-04-17-035756_734x458_scrot.png (734x458, 90K)

that's the file browser, op is talking about the upload dialog you dumb fuck retard

>gnome3
>thinkpad
>T60
>dark as my soul
>that hostname
>namefag
>no clue wtf he's talking about
fucking pottery

are you actually mentally disabled?

>posting on Jow Forums at 4am

What do you think, user

Daily reminder that there is an AUR package that fixes this.
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

>gtk3

Attached: 1523796766315.jpg (400x300, 19K)

A gtk2 one exists too.
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

KDE and gtk patch exists a long time, already. Yes this is vm and i fucked my locale.

Attached: 1521958271537.webm (1280x1024, 2.5M)

>Literally have to compile your own patched version of GTK and maintain it
HAHAHAHAHAHA linuxfags lack any self awareness

You're right, that's open source for you, if you don't like, or want to add something, you can do it.

Neat I'll try to build this on debian and I'll report back. There are control files attached so it should be a breeze

>haha linuxfags have the option to modify software and features they want!

>It's open source so you shouldn't complain
People complain because even Windows had these kinds of features almost 20 years ago.
Why would anyone choose to maintain their own patched repo when they could just use a better OS?

Attached: yande.re 129775 heartcatch_pretty_cure! kurumi_erika pretty_cure yukihiroyuki.jpg (1119x910, 358K)

You literally can't unless you code it yourself.

>windows
>better OS
Enjoy not having a usable shell.

>Windows

Attached: desktop.jpg (5440x3060, 2.59M)