Powershell

What does Jow Forums think of Powershell?

I'm going on a 5-day course and I'd like to know if I can build a career around it.

Attached: powershell-a289bc74b2.png (512x512, 6K)

PS is awesome but it's more supplementary than a self supporting technology. You'll want to know it for working on/with exchange servers for example

Probably not, you can automate simple small stuff, but it's not career defining

It's pretty neat. The gnu/folk fear the object pipe and are confused by not needing to grep literally everything, so they start screaming about Microsoft without actually trying it, so don't let that cloud your judgement.
>career based solely on PS
Not likely. It does help a lot when you are admining something built on MS infrastructure, though.

>shell
>build a career around
lol what. It's useful if you become a sys admin or anything else tech related but using powershell is not a career. I'd expect anyone with a tech job to know how to use powershell or bash.

>you can automate simple small stuff, but it's not career defining
You can do more than that. You can automate an entire infrastructure deployment.

I'm a UNIX admin and for me it's verbose as fuck. For Windows admins it's life-saving because they can quickly script jobs that would take hours of mindless clicking in gooey otherwise.
But no, you probably can't build a career around it. PS is glue for sysadmins - nothing more, nothing less.

I got a phd in powershell don't listen to the naysayers

You can't build a career around it, its just a tool.
However you'll have a hard time getting a good support/admin/ops role involving windows/windows server without having somewhat decent powershell skills

are you php certified tho?

It is pretty shit. Overly verbose .NET crap.
Fortunately Windows is getting phased out except on end user machines here & there is little that needs scripting on those.

Actually, one can build a career around powershell, especially if one is comfortable with its DSC modules.

[Citation needed]

Object pipe is God
This is objectively correct. It's an extremely useful and powerful tool, it will make your job easier and everything, but it can't BE your job.
No lie I've taken to using it on some of my linux boxes to help better manage them in a windows environment

>Actually, one can build a career around powershell
You can, but you shouldn't.
With powershell as your core skillset you'll have little value in the job market, its used to complement other skills.

>I'd like to know if I can build a career around it
you can ask microsoft about joining one of their open internet forum advertisement teams, but expect no pay

What about learning it for every day computing using the average neet as the baseline. Like would it be useful for organizing and automating anime sorting, or sorting pics of stuff? I don't know how to move beyond manually sorting every file I download.

Still better than buying a banner. MS is poor and need your help too.

Attached: 1480284122836.jpg (495x600, 58K)

I'd like to learn it, but the learning curve is steep as fuck
Can anyone recommend a decent book or website for learning PS?

Godspeed OP. I wholeheartedly agree with other anons that object piping is maximum comfy, also the interoperability with CLR is superb. I have never regretted deciding to go Powershell road instead of VB/JScript clusterfuck (it may seem a nobrainer to you now, but 5 years ago it was not that straightforward)

However, I'd rather not build a career solely on MS stack - it will most probably become irrelevant in the following 5-10 years (and I say this as a .NET developer, do not mistake me for an unemployed NEET gnu+linuxfag), remember to learn some cross-os and linux devops tools in the meantime.

Use typescript then as every idiot around you.

well, thank you, I already do, but I don't see how frontend development is relevant to what OP is talking about.

Though I do agree, I think Azure will continue to be on the rise and there's a lot of things we can expect from .NET Core and the foss CLR implementations.

Please, wake me up when someone will spend his/her life on PS.

don't. use bash

>watch some video tutorial so i can learn the basics of win server
>they start talking about powershit and commandlets before even explaining how to do something in GUI

Why are they all doing this? Im fine with scripting stuff but i first have to know how to fucking do them the normal way. And the books are not much different than this.

fucking retard

what's wrong, MS shill? Can't argue with facts, so you resort to name-calling?

I'd rather die than have to manage a Windows infrastructure of any kind.