KDE PLASMA IS THE BEST DE FOR LINUX. THERE IS NO BETTER ALTERNATIVE

>2018
>using anything other than KDE Plasma

When will Gnomelets, MATElets, XFeceslets, Cinnamonlets, LXDElets, and Budgielets ever learn?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S6mZGBEV7aY
mirceakitsune.deviantart.com/art/Toughest-choice-of-a-Linux-user-670160126
youtube.com/watch?v=cXkx2_sGbpE
design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/11/20/statement-mascot-project/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Screen tearing and artifacts tho

said nobody ever

Go run VLC and drag the screen around on a desktop using an actual GPU, it will look like that solitaire shit from Windows

Works on my machine.

Which year are you posting from?

Kde literally the first DE that didn't have screen tearing

Too many config menus and buttons. Needs a retard-proof mode for those who are too retarded and tend click on every button they see.
Also the dragon is a slut.

youtube.com/watch?v=S6mZGBEV7aY

I think your compositor crashed or something. It works fine for me.

And the last one to use Wayland. When Enlightenment beats you to the punch, its not a pretty sight

Well, it's the least shitty, I'll give it that

Konqi a cute!!

>inb4 but Enlightenment was funded by Tizen and Samsung

Attached: toughest_choice_of_a_linux_user_by_mirceakitsune-db2zuv2.png (1024x576, 338K)

screen tearing on nvidia
and stop telling me to enable that full pipe composition shit or whatever it's called
it just introduces lag

Wayland. There really is no other way to fix that window tearing crap unless you have wayland. QT4 stuff will still run through X-on-wayland (XWayland), but everything >= GTK3 or QT5 will actually run and resize windows without tearing.

>nvidia
>wayland
pfft oh no no no

Attached: goals.jpg (1570x1330, 436K)

Well if nouveau doesn't support your card well enough, why are you using Nvidia?

Nvidia's drivers have a serious case of NIH syndrome, just look at the EGLStreams nonsense.

>Which year are you posting from?
Obviously 2014. That's when KDE was what he described.

>why are you using Nvidia?
for gaming you idiot
why would I choose a graphics card for linux priorities??

Attached: 1447221591848.png (640x480, 384K)

>implying i3-gaps isn't the best
plebs

>why would I choose a graphics card for linux priorities??

because your on Jow Forums not /v/
not everyone cares about Windows gaming here

>KDE
If I had a _single_ Qt program, I might have thought about that.

I'd rather staple my dick to my underarm and be forced to use MacOS for the rest of my life than use KDE in its current state. It's not a snappy, clean piece of software like the rest of the distros I've tried.

Attached: 1523447797176.jpg (608x309, 29K)

OP is talking about KDE not your buggy garbage called GUHNOMe

Install drivers for ur gpu boi.

Will KDE ever not be buggy?

When you use kde plasma and not your neet xfeces OS

small clock when?
non retarded default pointer when?

that should be fixed as of 5.12

Nobody uses gtk anymore. See github and you'll noticed that all worthwhile pieces of software made in the last few years all target Qt. GTK is a terrible piece of shit after all.

>It's not a snappy, clean piece of software like the rest of the distros I've tried.
KDE is not a distro user

>Nobody uses gtk anymore
Good for them.
Still, not a single app on my PC uses qt. I don't even have qt on my system.

for nvidia too?

*Except that one faggot

Nvidia won't support wayland for the next few years. Their GBM replacement hasn't been touched for months and they expect everybody to jump onto EGLstreams but that won't ever happen(only mutter supports it but it's a piece of shit contaminated with javascript and LUL74FPS on high-end hw so don't use it).

reminder that KDEfags are degenerate furrfags

no u

I mean, there's not one single piece of software without bugs.

>refusing to use objectively better software for no reason
Good for you.

Attached: gtk-qt-cucks.png (1280x809, 205K)

>refusing
That a heavy assumption, user.

I literally never needed one. Only exception was Rstudio and boy was it a piece of shit.

I really don't get it, so many faggots here mention bugs, screen tearing what have you.
For past 2 or 3 years on KDE Manjaro I didn't have almost any problems. The few small things that were annoying there's already a fix.
Maybe try to learn how to use the fucking system and use stable distro. Also, stop being a neckbeard hipster trying to push "holier than thou" image for using the most esoteric shit you can find.
It makes you the same as "think different" faggots... Only on opposite spectrum

Gnome devs are complete cancer, goddamn.

No.
Will GNOME ever not be buggy? No.
Will XFCE ever not be buggy? No.
Will X ever not be buggy? No.

Find the buggy mess that works best for you.

KDE UI designers are blind, shitforbrains morons

Every major version is a convoluted, restraintless visual dumpsterfire of recent years design trends without a single thought about UX (why and how other platforms they copy from have bothered to implement their stuff)

Is the person responsible about UI/UX there a 14 y/o DeviantTard from Pakistan?

Attached: 1496790048374.jpg (125x125, 3K)

How is Nouveau's GBM?

Xfce4 with i3wm is the best combo.

Newfag question. Does the GNOME developers have influence over GTK+ development?

maybe, but UX is a meme for faggots

At least they don't require client-side window decorations, or waste half my screen on their titlebars

KDE is for gays.

>fullscreen firefox with taskbar on top and on autohide
>can't drag tabs from other windows to a fullscreen firefox with titlebar hidden

it's an abstract bug but until they fix that then I'm not fucking with it

You are behind the times granps. Newer amd cards are the best for Linux gaming now.

I used to be a Gnome hater. But I recently switch to GNOME after years on KDE and it's actually great. I love it. KDE has better performance yes, but fucking terrible UX. GNOME is beautiful, polished.

They are pretty much one and the same, the project git is even hosted at git.gnome.org

Qt otoh is completely separate and owned by the Qt company in Finnland, though I get the feeling KDE has a fair amount of influence on development, definitely more than LXDE, Budgie, and other Qt DEs.

I am honestly curious, what do you like about GNOME's appearance?
I find it to be an appalling mix of iPad with hot corners mixed with what's left of GNOME 2.

How the fuck is this even a fetish?

Don't look at me, I just found it on DeviantArt. I guess they have to live up to the first part of the name. mirceakitsune.deviantart.com/art/Toughest-choice-of-a-Linux-user-670160126

Here's something less creepy. Libbie the proposed LibreOffice mascot being consoled by Konqi and Kiki (Krita)

Attached: sad_libbie_by_goshaag-dbtxhl0.png (1976x2274, 346K)

Libbie looks way better when she isn't a polygonal mess.

Attached: 183d26209ace8fac02ef6d7fb295628535db5197f835ec45e0b11330b4b4258b.png (2253x3100, 647K)

Well, first off, to be clear, I'm talking about the entire stack when I say GNOME and KDE. Not just the DEs themselves, but their application suite and such as well.

Basically, I was on the "GNOME sucks, KDE is the best" train for a while. I was one of the people shilling for KDE and posting memes about the GNOME devs and such. But then I started to think for myself instead of just lapping up all the GNOME hate. I decided to give GNOME a chance. Not try to bend and twist it into my pre-existing ideas of how a UI should be, but try it their way. I started reading up about the GNOME philosophy and history, and about the reasoning behind their different design decisions. Allan Day's blog ("Form and Function") is especially interesting. I found enlightenment.

GNOME is actually great. Yes, it has its issues, but so does KDE and everything else. None of the existing DEs are perfect. But GNOME is honestly the best there is. It's the standard Linux desktop for a reason. What KDE has over it are more features and customization, and better performance. But GNOME has a polished, user-friendly design. It's aesthetic, it's uncluttered, it's easy to understand and operate. They do actual user testing to see what makes sense to users and what works. KDE is a clusterfuck of menus and options all over the god damn place, and no sane defaults. It takes hours of going through all the settings to get it to work right, and even then it still looks ugly.

I've honestly really come to appreciate and respect the GNOME guys for what they do. I still respect KDE as well, but I've switched to GNOME and am enjoying it a lot. It just looks and works great out of the box, or maybe with a couple of extensions to fix things up. It really is a much nicer and more polished experience than KDE.

Plus GNOME has the best Wayland support by far, and is more stable than KDE. KDE is a buggy, crashy mess, and barely functions at all on Wayland.

I do like how KDE follows standards and traditions, and the global/titlebar menu thing. But I also like how GNOME is innovating and isn't afraid to change things up and tell people to fuck off if there's a better way. Headerbars are actually really nice now that I've given them a chance, especially considering that a Unity HUD like feature is still possible with them (see the GNOME Plotinus extension). Firefox can even be styled with headerbars using userChrome.css (look up firefox-gnome-theme), and it looks awesome and fits right in. I love it.

I really don't feel like I'm missing much from KDE to be honest. I thought Dolphin was the best, and the file-tree sidebar was neat, but GNOME Files looks way better aesthetically and has some cool features of its own. GNOME provides an entire suite of software that's all cohesive and integrated with the system in a polished way, whereas KDE is just a mess. I suppose the only real thing is the file picker thumbnails, but it seems like they're finally working on that after all these years. I saw something on the bug tracker about making GNOME Files work as a file picker.

It feels to me like KDE has most of the developers and GNOME has most of the designers. The design, the front end, the user experience, the cohesiveness, the aesthetics, etc. are all so much better on GNOME. But I can't deny that GNOME uses up far too many system resources, and lacks features (like the file picker thumbnail), etc. There is no best. But between the two, I pick GNOME now.

>Needs a retard-proof mode
No. Retards can get fucked.
>the dragon is a slut.
Mascots are for children, I have no idea why you even seek it out.

>2018
>shilling for a desktop environment
Jesus Christ if they told you you'll be paid for this, they lied.

Libbie is cute, but she's no Gracie

Attached: mascot.png (400x408, 84K)

That really sounds like Microsoft of the Windows 8 and Office Ribbon UI decisions.

They did user testing too, and for some people maybe it is a wonderful arrangement, but for everyone else...
let's just say I love Ribbon for how easy it makes it to convince Windows users to switch to Libreoffice.

Hey, if it works for you, great, but I run from GNOME every chance I can. I hear KDE on Wayland in Fedora is not the best, but I hear good things about KDE Neon's support for Wayland.

> It feels to me like KDE has most of the developers and GNOME has most of the designers.

That's ironic if true; the common thought a few years ago was the opposite. I didn't like Plasma 4 back then though, maybe I don't like designer OSs?

What the fuck, is all free software marketed by furries to furries or what? Fuck this planet.

Mfw everyone will be on KDE after 5.13 is out

youtube.com/watch?v=cXkx2_sGbpE

Attached: 1513743168769.jpg (492x388, 39K)

Yeah, I bet they are the same fuckers that made GTK+3 unusable for me with that awful scaling instead of DPI+ fontsize.

Honestly, this desu. KDE stuff is good under the hood (mostly - fuck KMail etc) but the frontend is a mess. I don't think it can be fixed with a few "usability and productivity" tweaks here and there. I think the entire KDE frontend needs a total overhaul from scratch with proper care given to UX.

Like what? Could you detail what sort of UX do you hate on KDE that is better on GNOME/XFCE/LXDE/Enlightenment?

Not really. It's just everything, everywhere. It's an ugly mess. Menus everywhere overflowing with so many different items. Menus take up extra space, and if you move them to a titlebar button it looks and functions like shit, as if they haven't given it proper attention and polish. It doesn't even display the menu in the correct direction if it would go over the screen edge, and instead just goes off-screen. Horrible spacing and layout in applications. Inconsistencies everywhere. Horrible defaults. It's really just a mess. It needs a complete overhaul. GNOME on the other hand is polished and beautiful. Everything goes through a shit ton of design stages before they even start making anything. They have Human Interface Guidelines that they follow closely, and everything is cohesive and nice across the entire suite.

wtf she is cute. glad I use libreoffice

>inconsistent design
>glossy + skeuomorphic design in 2018
fuck no

WHEN WILL IT BE PACKAGED FOR SOLUS
I HATE BUDGIE

Attached: 1340727520448.jpg (768x1024, 552K)

>They have Human Interface Guidelines that they follow closely, and everything is cohesive and nice across the entire suite.
That is good. Except that I think their design is crap, which just means that every HIG-following app is the same crap over and over.

What in KDE is skeuomorphic?

If anything, gnome is more skeuomorphic. Put on some glasses maybe

did they finally fix the fuckhuge ugly clock?

I'd use gnome, but it's a laggy piece of shit

>linux gaming
aahahahhahahaha

To be clear, Libbie was just a proposal, as of now LO has no mascot

design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/11/20/statement-mascot-project/

It's just that Tyson Tan is the only artist that gives a fuck about FLOSS.

Attached: tumblr_o0oht8HaGg1rw701fo3_1280.png (1280x1810, 850K)

citation please

this just again proves that 'creatives' have not a single purpose for linux and 'creatives' don't work for free

in return adobe, maxon, affinity, corel, autodesk etc etc will never have interest in bringing their shit to linux

Attached: 18951437_757463614428003_1788080587572857817_n.jpg (269x277, 8K)

Cute animal characters are not your cup of tea? Well what other thing you would want? Generic unremarkable and forgettable animu moeblob with no marketable features, on account of it being generic? Or something along the lines of a fucking foot?

What don't you like about the design?

Linux results:
Steam: 10872
Humble Store: 2081
GoG: 837

It's definitely not impossible.

b-b-but m-muh community design

Attached: Community Design (TM).png (1375x1425, 1.56M)

You don't need to give away your shit just because you were using Linux making it.

The whole rest of the planet is ok with animal mascots, it's just /b/tards and the like-minded screeching about furries. It's like a childhood mental trauma.

Can't wait.

I love GTK+2. But GNOME fuckers killed GTK+3 to make fucking Tablets and be MacOS X.

KDE Always looks like shit.

What to do?

Attached: 9db413aee3863f5ba7cad99755bfa83fe743619fd1f3baf0fca06b1c373cd770.jpg (600x300, 35K)

a typical complaint about GNUM design approach is
>muh large toolbars

hmm...

Attached: windorse gtk2 GNUM.png (2133x147, 39K)

>KDE
Deepin looks like better technology to me

this image is drawn by nigger
opensuse is has everything draw on the picture

Bundgie is comfy. I can't wait till the QT transition is done. Fuck gtk3.

>not installing proprietary gpu drivers for your proprietary hardware

KDE supports wayland, just not for nvidia
and that is nvidia's fault, not KDE's

Have you tried kde neon?
If you haven't just download the iso and see hiw the system runs.