You have 5 seconds to explain why you aren't using DragonFly BSD 5.2.0 right now

You have 5 seconds to explain why you aren't using DragonFly BSD 5.2.0 right now.

Attached: 1200px-DragonFly_BSD_Logo_svg.svg.png (1200x927, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/perf_cmp.pdf
lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/commits/2017-September/626329.html
voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html
call-with-current-continuation.org/bones/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm heterosexual

Not gentoo

because i like running applications

It's small fries compared to Free, Open and Net (excellent name scheme, BTW). It feels like vote for a minor party that get

>going nowhere fast

>HAMMER2 now recommended as default root FS
>amazing SMP
>amazing swap subsystem
>competent developers
>ports

Attached: dragonfly.png (816x415, 57K)

Not to mention huge work on network performance. DragonflyBSD is arguably the fastest BSD for network intensive tasks.
Also, IPFW has been rewritten to be multi-threaded which has resulted in huge performance improvements.

leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/perf_cmp.pdf
lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/commits/2017-September/626329.html

I would, but it didn't boot on the hardware I tried to install it on. I also kinda want to wait until ravenports is closer to being a usable ports replacement before investing in it too heavily.

Otherwise, I'm already running slackware and openbsd on my shit, so not exactly in a huge hurry to jump into dragonfly yet, but I do like where they're going.

The version of fdisk they ship is absolutely awful and I didn't feel like going past that.

My Debian installs haven't failed me yet.

It's a great OS and I wish them the best. Hope they get more interest and committers.

This. I hope DragonFly dethrones FreeBSD in the future and gets the recognition that it deserves. It's a significantly better operating system.

*hugs* are still legal in DragonFly

It's shit.

OPNsense should rebase on it.

Is it ready for installation in servers?

Yeah.

Yes, especially now that HAMMER2 is recommended as the default root file system for 5.2.0.

Because I need a useable system I don't have to fuck with like an autistic neckbeard fag

My adapter (Intel 8260) doesn't work. I've created an issue on their bugtrackes. It's ignored for more than a month already.

Also, my battery drains like crazy with it.

Why do you keep shilling this? We dont need a thread every day

>An operating system that finally has decent symmetrical multiprocessing is actually getting lauded

Video driver support

>No 32-bit application support
>no wine
>no arm64 or RISC-V
>FreeBSD scheduler didn't turn out as bad like they anticipated and works great

I know, right? And on Jow Forums of all places.

>pretending to not be shills

Attached: (you).jpg (570x572, 22K)

They're not shills. They do it FOR FREE

/v/ is calling you

Also, it's slow as fuck to start.

My Void Linux needs ~5 seconds to log into my desktop.

It takes more to simply finish loading kernel on dragonfly.

Too lazy
Will try it out later

How (un)cucked are the devs, on a scale from "Based Theo" to "new Code of Conduct"?

Let me know when all the bsd devs stop using mac os and start using the software they are devloping.

You're referring to the FreeBSD devs, you fucking moron.

Cuck Licensed

>Dillon started DragonFly in the belief that the methods and techniques being adopted for threading and symmetric multiprocessing in FreeBSD 5 would lead to poor system performance and cause maintenance difficulties. He sought to correct these suspected problems within the FreeBSD project. Due to ongoing conflicts with other FreeBSD developers over the implementation of his ideas, his ability to directly change the FreeBSD codebase was eventually revoked. Despite this, the DragonFly BSD and FreeBSD projects still work together contributing bug fixes, driver updates, and other system improvements to each other.
The DBSD devs just want to make a good OS like based Theo.

Sounds good, he's using his own OS himself right?

I don't want to use BSD because it has no programs.

If you can show me that is has decent support for AMD gpu's then I'll switch.

I also need haskell and racket support.

and it has to be on a 4k monitor.

If dragonfly can cover those basic needs then I'll switch and give ganoo/systemD the finger.

from what i see,its good for servers,and thats it
btw i dont run a server at home because muh poorfag

>I also need haskell and racket support.
muh

Attached: Thumbs Up 1.png (762x1085, 305K)

Does it bug you that haskell and racket are fairly high level?

I've always been bugged by not knowing the low level very well. I know a smattering of C but I honestly can't decide if it's better to learn C or if Rust will end up being the future somehow.

For now I've consigned myself to learning how to write virtual machines in Racket.

>>Dillon started DragonFly in the belief that the methods and techniques being adopted for threading and symmetric multiprocessing in FreeBSD 5 would lead to poor system performance and cause maintenance difficulties. He sought to correct these suspected problems within the FreeBSD project. Due to ongoing conflicts with other FreeBSD developers over the implementation of his ideas, his ability to directly change the FreeBSD codebase was eventually revoked. Despite this, the DragonFly BSD and FreeBSD projects still work together contributing bug fixes, driver updates, and other system improvements to each other.

Attached: origins_of_dragonfly_bsd.jpg (640x480, 52K)

doesn't run on iphone 6s

Actually, yes. I've been toying with the idea of implementing a lower-level Scheme --- or at least a Scheme that has access to memory addresses. Of course this means a lot of work, but the idea of writing a kernel in Scheme compels me.

No Nvidia driver. I plan on buying an RX470 so I may try it in the future.

He’s active on their efnet IRC channel so I got to talk to him a bit about this. He was one of the first in BSD, possibly in FOSS to figure out how to get a third party OS installed on a chromebook, because someone sent him one for development. He created a touchscreen driver just so he could do basic cursor operations on it and was quite fond of it.

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

Wtf is a dragonfly

Zippy little thing. One of the few winged animals that can fly straight up from rest without steering.

I have plans to use it for my NAS.

Can I use BOINC on it? I'm going to do a new install on my seedbox since Devuan is shit, might go with DragonFly
Also, does HAMMER2 has compression?

Bait

I'm pretty comfy with my Void Linux

>*hugs* are still legal in DragonFly
yes

>"Based Theo"
The guy who didn't include "Colemak" because "it's a stupid fad" is based?

Me too. But I want to try dragonfly if/when it has power management so my laptop doesn't die in an hour, instead of 9

Dillon is a cool guy. He and I did some testing while chatting on IRC to isolate a bug in one of the network drivers. Unfortunately the downside of being a smaller project is that you don't have the manpower of the Linux community to throw at things like application porting and laptop hardware support.

Does the ponyfag scandal not bother you?

Not him, but it doesn't affect me in any way.

Still the best (in my opinion) binary Linux distribution today.

But Colemak IS a stupid fad. Workman is objectively better, for instance.

Not him, but how the fuck is it a "scandal" now? I thought it was just a shitposting meme.

>Workman is objectively better, for instance.
How so? I chose Colemak as it puts the most emphasis on the home row.

Also, Colemak is available in all unix-like OSes, except OpenBSD.

> I chose Colemak as it puts the most emphasis on the home row.
It's a matter of opinion, but I don't like the home row. My hands aren't a keyboard wide, and fingers are made for curling in and out much more than stretching side to side. So Workman's weight system that prioritizes keys that are located right around the "home position", instead of just sticking everything on the home row and ignoring the "home columns", makes much more sense to me.

>voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html
>meme
It's not very professional.

>No 32-bit application support
even apple is dropping 32-bit

>no wine
meh

>no arm64 or RISC-V
nice to have once there will be proper hardware other than toy-boards, arm64 is a vendor mess, risc-v needs more attention from vendors

>FreeBSD scheduler didn't turn out as bad like they anticipated and works great
it only needed 3 major releases from freebsd5 till freebsd8 to undo all the damage done by apple powerpc SMP experiment, while backporting SMP design from DragonflyBSD v1.0, go figure

Gentoo has ponysay in the official repos too.
Also why I should care about what devs like or one additional package in repos. The product is what matters, not a creator

It's not meant to be a professional distro. If you're using Void for production you're doing something wrong.
They literally tried to make a joke about "pony for Christmas" on their blog. I honestly just ignored that. I'm pretty sure the creator has posted worse stuff on their twitter or something, there was a thread about that a while ago.

>It's not meant to be a professional distro
That's not an valid excuse. An OS isn't a joke, it's serious business what one uses as a daily driver. Antics like this are not only unprofessional, but set a precedent for the kind of personality trait of the people being the distro. If you use your distro's image to publicize this kind of stuff, who knows what other kind of things you'll do internally for whatever arbitrary, reactionary reason. If I wouldn't trust a ponyfag as a person, why would I even trust their distro?

I don't use it since it supposedly only has driver support for Intel GPUs.

I'll check it out.
I do have some problems with side movement and think it would fit my Planck keyboard better.

That's some huge leaps in logic you are doing here.

Also, how is this unprofessional?

I tried it about 12-13 years ago, had no real use for it, and moved on with life.

Intel wireless still doesn't work.
Into the trash it goes.
Back to Void.

> Planck
The creator of Workman uses a TypeMatrix and one of the criticisms of the layout I've seen is that it seems to be tailored to ortholinear keyboards bit too much, so if you have a Planck then it's probably a pretty good choice

why should i?

>You have 5 seconds to explain why you aren't using DragonFly BSD 5.2.0 right now.
Real DragonflyBSD users use git master.

DragonFly BSD - the only non GPL-phobic BSD distribution out there.

Could probably take some inspiration from Bones Scheme.

call-with-current-continuation.org/bones/

I use OpenBSD

>I use OpenBSD
OpenBSD is awesome. Recently switched from FreeBSD. Not planing to go back.

>"look at me,i use an obscure OS,why dont you use it too?"
>the thread

Use it for what, OP?

For a server? Well it's good and all, and I especially love hammer. But the support for it is so small, basically non-existent. Even community support is almost non-existent, for that all you really have is referring to to the other *BSD communities.

But for a desktop/workstation..? Don't even know where to start, OP.

There are no nvidia drivers, wifi is half as functional as in Freebsd and even less so than in linux, most of the ports of apps are broken as fuck and or just incomplete. Audio is fucked too, feels like i'm stuck in the 90s with this audio, like I can only have audio on one program at a time? Come on. If you are going to use a BSD OS for your desktop and you don't care about hardware acceleration for videos/games/rendering in general then you can just use OpenBSD.

Attached: Nz1G2p1.png (600x600, 179K)

That being said, I use it on my laptop (lattitude e6400) and it does feel much faster than FreeBSD, but wireless is still complete shit.

How's security? Are there medium-sized companies or websites that use it? I want to get off the FreeBSD train.

because anything in the bsd/linux family is vaporware

with the exception of OS X*

macOS is great to ssh into your freeBSD servers.

seems like DragonDildo BSD is the future successor of the currently "hugs verboten by CoC" FBSD
What was the history with the DS guy and FBSD?

>hey look guise, relevant xkcd, ain't I smart! ekXsDee!
if I had a penny for every time some fucktard thought he's presenting a valid argument by using that tired strip (927, was it? bloody hell, the fact that I remember it), I'd be buying myself teenager blood infusions.

>That's not an valid excuse. An OS isn't a joke, it's serious business

Attached: now-thats-what-i-call-autism.jpg (239x210, 13K)

>If I wouldn't trust a ponyfag as a person, why would I even trust their distro?
Dumb fucks with their oversimplified understanding of the world again.
You trust someone with something.
You can't trust cperciva with anything that has the potential to be cucked, but you can trust him with bsdiff.

reported to freebsd-coc committee

crap, now the politburo's onto me
curse you, informant
>t. knowing people that actually lived through that shit before the iron curtain fell

Their FAQ is better than most wikis

May I get explanation for this meme?

OS is only as good as its "apps" and vidya, sad but true.

I'm already using OpenBSD and FreeBSD, and while I have nothing against DragonFlyBSD, my purposes are already met.

>Linux devs use linux
lol senpai they use windows and only use it on their dev boards to write drivers for whatever phone or embedded device they're being paid for

>even apple is dropping 32-bit
Apple is fucking retarded hence its a bad idea.

bumping with fanart

Attached: bsd-tans.jpg (1500x1200, 526K)

Are there any keyboard layouts better than Workman yet?