19-year-old facing a criminal charge for downloading files

archive.fo/si7b7
>15 officers raided the family home last Wednesday morning
>The teen has been charged with "unauthorized use of a computer," which carries a possible 10-year prison sentence, for downloading approximately 7,000 freedom-of-information releases

>The provincial government says about 250 of those contain Nova Scotians' sensitive personal information.

>On Friday, the premier accused the teenager of "stealing" the information
>But in an interview with CBC News, the 19-year-old says he thought he was downloading an archive of public information that was supposed to be freely available on the internet

>"The website had a number at the end, and I was able to change the last digit of the number to a different number and was able to see a certificate for someone else's animal that they adopted," he said
>"I decided these are all transparency documents that the government is displaying. I decided to download all of them just to save,"
>it took a single line of code and a few hours of computer time to copy 7,000 freedom-of-information requests
>"I didn't do anything to try to hide myself. I didn't think any of this would be wrong if it's all public information. Since it was public, I thought it was free to just download, to save,"

>It wasn't the first website the 19-year-old had saved for general interest
>he has around 30 terabytes of online data on hard drives in his home, the equivalent of "millions" of web pages
>He usually copies online forums such as Jow Forums and Reddit, where posts are either quickly erased or can become difficult to locate.
>"I preserve things, I archive the internet. I have history on my computer, and all of that should be saved and preserved,"

>The teenager says since he was downloading public records off a public website, it all feels unfair.
>"I just had no malicious intent and I shouldn't be charged for this," he said
Well Jow Forums, did this kid do anything wrong? It says he browses Jow Forums, so he's breaking global rule #2.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-16_15-32-04.png (652x742, 381K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0f8ePQoUkOQ
gov.url.ca/secret_document/{0..7000}
eff.org/deeplinks/2017/01/everyone-made-themselves-hero-remembering-aaron-swartz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The mother says she, her husband, and two of her kids were corralled in the living room.

>"They read us our rights and told us not to talk," she said.

>"Our daughter, she was really traumatized, really bad — brought her to tears, the way they conducted this," said the father.

>She says at one point there were 15 officers in the home.

>"People were going into the kitchen, were going into the dining room, going upstairs. They went into the basement. They were [traipsing] through the house, everywhere," the mother said.

>"They rifled through everything. They turned over mattresses, they took drawers and emptied out drawers, they went through personal papers, pictures," she said. "It was totally devastating and traumatic."

>She says police seized her son's computers, plus her husband's cellphone and work computers, which has left him unable to do his job.

>They also seized her younger son's desktop computer, after he was arrested on the street walking to high school.

>Officers took her 13-year-old daughter to question her in a police car.

>"My little ones are asking, 'Will I be able to get a job because we were arrested?'" she said

>Supt. Jim Perrin said last week police rarely charge people with unauthorized use of a computer, but that it was the right offence in this case
>On Friday, Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil said the person who downloaded the documents 'stole' the information.

19 > 18, retard.

2018 - 2 = 2016 = newfag.

Not Jow Forums related.
Go back to Plebbit newfag.
No.

I don't think he did anything wrong as such, but those documents weren't intended to be public. The government are total retards for setting them up like that and should just let him go after purging the records.

>Not Jow Forums related.
It's directly Jow Forums related, as opposed to:
And any number of perpetual /consumerism/ generals. Yet I don't see you complaining in them.

They're clearly using him as a scapegoat to ignore the fact that they exposed sensitive information to the public. What's crazy is the amount of doubling down and the charges.

>It's directly Jow Forums related
No, not Jow Forums related at all, you should browse the site more than 5 minutes before you try to post. I also have Mr. Cohen's assignment of writing what the Internet thinks about a local event, and I'm gonna make sure you fucking fail. Fuck you.
>as opposed to:
Irrelevant. You don't get to break the rules.

This will conclude with charges being dropped and a counter-suit for undue emotional trauma. If they don't take it to a human rights tribunal they're retarded.
All of our government is woefully ignorant of how to implement InfoSec over the internet and it will continue to be this way as long as we insist on paying bottom dollar for security.
/Blog

>he has around 30 terabytes of online data on hard drives in his home, the equivalent of "millions" of web pages
>*tips fedora*
>"I preserve things, I archive the internet. I have history on my computer, and all of that should be saved and preserved,"
and this, kids, is why you shouldn't be autistic

Lmao this is comedy gold. He did nothing wrong it was the government that did.

He's a retard but that's secondary to the fact that this is the government's fault. He shouldn't be criminally charged to downloading something that was publicly exposed, the retards who exposed it should be charged for extreme negligence. Giving government this kind of power was a mistake

>downloading approximately 7,000 freedom-of-information releases
>He usually copies online forums such as Jow Forums and Reddit
>I preserve things, I archive the internet. I have history on my computer, and all of that should be saved and preserved
Autism. He should've just operated a Jow Forums archive.

>The teen has been charged with "unauthorized use of a computer,"
Would, I wonder what communist dictatorship this is in?
>those contain Nova Scotians'
Fuck, I was guessing England.

Time to use those precious guns you guys keep to throw over the government.

>I also have Mr. Cohen's assignment of writing what the Internet thinks about a local event, and I'm gonna make sure you fucking fail. Fuck you.
What are you going on about?
>You don't get to break the rules
You don't get to cherrypick what is and isn't on-topic. "Unauthorized use of a computer" is Jow Forums related. There's worst threads posted every minute, your fallacy doesn't apply.

Pretty sad actually, someone fucked up and made the page public and now they need a scapegoat. They will probably fuck him up real good in court its Canada after all.

Attached: 1515003087934.png (655x509, 42K)

We need this kid on the archive team

reminds me of the time that one kid exposed the heart bleed exploits leaking canadians SIN numbers months if not a year after a fix had already been out

Just ignore an apparent troll

>everyone who's critical of the government is a gun nut
Wtf?

what color is his skin? this will determine if he gets a settlement or not.

He made the page public though. No one else is to blame

No. I'm saying that now is the time to actually go use them. Your government is clearly corrupt. There's constant articles showing clearly how corrupt they are. And the gun nuts have always spouted that they have their guns for this occasion. Yet no one bothers to even do anything about it.

>This will conclude with charges being dropped and a counter-suit for undue emotional trauma.
You have a lot of faith in the legal system

Reminder that me dropping my wallet on the ground and (even if i don't ever find it again) you taking it is theft.

So mistyping a url would have made these documents available. This isn't theft or hacking.

This, the local government should be open to a massive lawsuit for making private documents accessible, and several politicians careers should end.

The hicks that actually own the guns barely even have contact with the government. The last time was when those farmers or something had a standoff with the gooberment

That has nothing to do with the case at hand since it's reasonable to conclude someone lost their wallet, and did not intentionally place it their. Where in this case it is certainly reasonable to assume a publicly accessible webpage from the government contains only public information.

>the retards who exposed it should be charged for extreme negligence
What about the law enforcement that basically issued a tactical strike team on the entire family? Imagine one day doing your homework and going to school, then the next arrested and questioned of your brothers supposed criminal activity, and having all electronics and data confiscated from you. All active accounts such as email on any open devices, etc, compromised, which is probably a nightmare for the average person to deal with post such incident. This is also is a Jow Forums nightmare, because this proves even if you have nothing to hide, you can get v& on bogus charges

place it there*

This is in Nova Scotia... not America.

>freedom of information docs
>illegal to download
nice definition of "freedom" you got there, americ- nova scotian government.

>being this fucking retarded

This happened in Canada

I shred all my devices on a monthly basis and don't keep a 30TB /b/ archive in my basement.

stop

typing

this

you

fucknig

retards

First of all, copying information is not theft.
Secondly, finder's have a claim to found property in most places if the original owner can't be found.

>This will conclude with charges being dropped and a counter-suit for undue emotional trauma.
I sure as hell hope so. Fuck the pigs.

It's copied from the article. And each is a paragraph, so it works.

>Canada strikes again

RAW RECORDING OF THE EVENT
youtube.com/watch?v=0f8ePQoUkOQ

If this was jewtube or Facebook they would have paid the kid for finding such a ludicrous security hazard. This is literally day fucking 1 webdev security. If anything the government should be fined and sued for it.

Attached: D76AEC86-F379-405B-B1F5-05FF9B4D7621.jpg (933x1400, 238K)

>this is what happens when you have autism in Canada

Underrated post.

Some guy bought some minor amount of BTC from he with some "stolen" bank account in 2013. And we're not talking a big amount, it was minor as in around $200. Police raided my home and confiscated all electronics in 2015. They listed some things as evidence and just stole a lot of other things. I got the things they did list as confiscated back after 6 months (but not the things they just stole).

You can do absolutely nothing wrong ever and still get a raid out of the blue and have your things taken/stolen. Law enforcement really are both stupid beyond belief and power-hungry criminals.

This case reminds me of something similar perhaps a decade ago when someone noticed that the source code for election software was in a folder on a companies public ftp. He downloaded it and published some security problems. The company went on about how he had "stolen" these documents. If you put something on a public Internet website or ftp and someone downloads it then that's not theft, if you put a billboard along the road and someone reads it then that's not theft either.

> posts on Jow Forums
> police raided him
> got stuff back and all clear
How did they not arrest?

>what color is his skin? this will determine if he gets a settlement or not.

Attached: amerimutt.png (786x561, 27K)

Checked.

He's probably saved quite a lot of stuff powerful people would rather wasn't archived.

Remember when archives (archives!!) were being scrubbed/taken offline during the pizzagate craze? A lot of dirty laundry was aired amongst the nonsense during that tinfoilhype that was subsequently memory-holed (mostly money connections between big players like the Saudis and the US Government)

> Reminder that me dropping my wallet on the ground and (even if i don't ever find it again) you taking it is theft.
Reminder that seeing a government official bend down and place a wallet on the floor, in a clearly public place, next to a pile of other wallets with a sign saying "free wallets", then walk away, and going to pick it up can't be reasonably considered theft.

Analogies are only as good as they accurately correspond to the angle you're discussing, and yours is completely inaccurate unless you make it autistically contrived like I did.

>being so assblasted
Darling, he never mentioned whether a whitey would have it easy or hard. Stop seeing things that don't exist. Oh yeah, and don't forget that contrary to what your picture implies, Soros is one of the largest donors in American politics. Source is Opensecrets.org. And no, that isn't a crazy right wing site run by the scary Russians

>>it took a single line of code and a few hours of computer time to copy 7,000 freedom-of-information requests
>>"I didn't do anything to try to hide myself. I didn't think any of this would be wrong if it's all public information. Since it was public, I thought it was free to just download, to save,"
This is actually reasonable, when i was learning to program I would fuck around with Jow Forums http requests to get all posts and such like that, the kid was probably just learning, this is bullshit.

He probably used wget

literally
wget gov.url.ca/secret_document/{0..7000}

Alex, plz

Attached: alex jones tin foil.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

What a fucking saint.

"The internet librarian" needs to be set free.
Fucking cloud faggots

Reminds me of the malcolm in the middle episode.

>kid finds parents old pot stash
>they blame him because they cant fess up to their own mistake
>double down because guilt and also ego

Government can't hold our data secure.
Not even that but they give it away freely...

It's not like he broke in their server socket or something.
He accessed a publically accessible html webpage.
Open to the clearnet...
FUCKING NORMIES WILL DEFEND THIS

HELLO

I
IS THIS AN APPROPRIATE PL
ACE TO SAY THAT I HATE BLACKS

Wasn't there that reddit guy who ended up killing himself that did something similar. IIRC, he was downloading documents that normally displayed like 20 at a time for manual download, but used a script to do it automatically.

This is a different government, but I don't like the kid's odds.

YES HELLO

THIS IS SUCH A PL
ACE YOU ARE ALSO TO BE CALLED A FAGGOT ENJOY

Attached: CRUISE CONTROL.jpg (1280x720, 48K)

This here; they know they're in the wrong and need to swiftly fuck this kid up as hard as they can with whatever can stick, to draw attention away from themselves. I still see it backfiring but this poor bastard will be sacrificed either way now that they're in this far.

No matter your country or how you believe your political alignment is, the government is not your friend lads.

now, my question is...
if their security is so shitty, how did they catch him? if they actually read their server logs they had to know what they were doing was fucked up, didn't they?

I get angry when I see a story like this because I never did anything like this in high school and was never in the news

> I still see it backfiring
Damn right it will. They cannot possibly get away with the charges if he can prove the info is on clearnet.
Once this happens, it's just a matter of him going to the media and/or to human rights. He can win this and the counter-suit easy.
They had a way to check it. That's the fun part that, if the lawyer is half competent, can be exposed to further the case in his favor. This can be big.
Also, the charges are for a Canadian user. Can we infer from context what he was doing and do it ourselves?

>The website had a number at the end, and I was able to change the last digit of the number to a different number and was able to see a certificate for someone else's animal that they adopted," he said
blogs have better security

You are living in your actual dystopian future now, its just all window dressed to make you feel good when you participate in this culture.

Unplug yourself. Its already too late.

> I have rights

hahahahahah. You've been watching too much police drama tv. Rights don't exist.

>purging the records.
Thats the whole reason why they raided. The police know they would be publicaly reprimanded, but remember they're an extension of the state apparatus, so they achieved their goal: purging all physical/logical copies, regardless of anyones rights (have you heard of police officers being punished for much at all, apart from being put on administrative leave until it all blows over?)

In this case the police departments in the area are a family affair as well - subtly corrupt and fairly punitive to people who piss off the family.

it's leafland faggot

I'm no Canadian lawyer, but I think he shouldn't get in trouble if all he did was request different URLs, and there was nothing blocking him from doing it.

Orwellian bullshit. If the page is public he has a right to archive it. It's the same as filming in public. The kid did nothing wrong.

wait, what the fuck
it was public

>He usually copies online forums such as Jow Forums and Reddit, where posts are either quickly erased or can become difficult to locate.
>"I preserve things, I archive the internet. I have history on my computer, and all of that should be saved and preserved," he said.
God's work

Attached: 1507335239188.jpg (600x450, 25K)

>browses Jow Forums AND reddit

I hope they give him the death penalty

>canada
>pay hundreds of dollars a month to get Internet data capped at a few gigs
>have a weaker dollar, pay more for the same goods as Americans
>get ass-blasted by taxes
>cucked by quebec
>as this article shows, has even less rights than America
why does reddit circlejerk over this country?

That's what happens when you have computer illiterate old people writing laws

>muh liberal country

Pretty good analogy, made me chuckle

>>pay hundreds of dollars a month to get Internet data capped at a few gigs
That's our phone data, not our regular internet. For 100/100 internet where I am it's $96/month (about $76 freedom bux), but that has no caps or anything, and you'll like get more than 100/100. For gigabit, it's $150/month (~$120 USD). It's not cheap, but it's not too bad either.

>as this article shows, has even less rights than America
How does this article show that? If this was America, there'd have been a couple flashbangs in the mix and full SWAT. Remember Aaron Swartz?

You know America should really take a leaf out of Canada's book and raise taxes too. There is a reason why the US was at its peak when income tax was at an all time high.

Ask yourself, why was the 1950s such a great decade for America? Well perhaps it was because of the 90% income tax on those earning $250,000 or more which enabled a very strong middle class?

Attached: US-Income-Tax-Marginal-Rates.png (2124x1152, 229K)

I have done this before too, with documents detailing the millions of euros "publicly" (hidden in public databases, only findable by people who know what they're doing or are involved) flowing through money-laundering companies, I even published a paper, for uni, about some loopholes in our government's economy, which allowed these criminals to easily launder millions of euros in a matter of weeks. Luckily I don't live in a country where accessing public data is punishable by death.

nice try but the 1950s were so prosperous due to America being one of the few stable and productive western economies in the aftermath of WW2.
although Aaron Swartz suicide is a tragedy, atleast there was some semblance of him doing something illegal. Leafs will fuck you over for visiting their own public government websites. what a joke.

Thanks bud, I'll remember this post next time i'm considering it

>Leafs will fuck you over for visiting their own public government websites.

meanwhile:
>be a murderous terrorist
>be given millions of dollars from government

>liberal government
i think this is why america voted republican, they saw just how scary the liberal boogeyman is

eff.org/deeplinks/2017/01/everyone-made-themselves-hero-remembering-aaron-swartz

Meanwhile the current American government is giving millions of dollars and material support to extremist rebel groups in Syria which will backfire on us again just like it did in the 80s when we backed the Mujahideen in the Soviet Afghan war. The same people that eventually went on to become Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Can't fucking wait for 9/11 2.0.

>tfw you live in a world where people can get arrested for downloading files on the Internet
Fuck this, how to I out myself?

Attached: Lost All Hope.jpg (960x720, 30K)

>implying this isn't what started the war there in the first place
>implying this isn't how america gots and stays rich
>implying fucking over some worthless enemy shithole is comparable to funding actual terrorists who actually murdered people, IN YOUR OWN DAMN COUNTRY

So you're saying, we should have voted for Hillary?
(and that third point of yours is wrong, they are comparable)

This is base evidence for the government using force to hide their major incompetence, if an idiot could get to them by swapping or mistyping a digit then the host is to blame and should be the one punished

it's just the same thing over and over again

>Jow Forums

incoming child pawn charge aswell

>Justice
>Lawyer
>Suing the govt

Lol, this took place in Canada, newfriend. You think Trudeau is going to give him permission to sue? Not unles he's a gay Muslim. Enjoy the cuckening leafs! You brought this on yourselves.

Nova Scotian here. You're supposed to pay $5 to access each FOI release. He subverted the payment system on the website and downloaded 7000 documents, $35000 worth of requests. That's is why they raided him.

He shouldn't be charged for idiotic website design though. Anyone know the laws on easily subvertible paywalls? Does it count as theft?

>t. future vagrant who will have no post-apocalypse currency

>downloads Jow Forums
does that mean the police are going to charge him with child pornography charges too?