I've recently switched to DOS and I can't believe how much better it is than WindAIDS, nOSeX, UBANTO...

I've recently switched to DOS and I can't believe how much better it is than WindAIDS, nOSeX, UBANTO, and other loonix-based operating systems for virgins.

I know what you're going to say, "lol dos is ghey and obsol33t, i cant belive ur usin such a shitty operating system, after i help mom out setting up the table ill come back and tell u why."

MYTH: "lol u cant even use teh internets wit dos, gg"
FACT: You can. And there are even graphical web browsers such as Arachne. Good game, squirt.

MYTH: "i cant listen to my pirated mp3z in dose, gg"
FACT: You can, and there are many DOS applications that can play different formats. Try looking here: opus.co.tt/dave/sound.htm

MYTH: "lulz dose isnt even suported nemore gg on usin an obsolte os"
FACT: MS-DOS compatible operating systems are still being developed. The latest release of FreeDOS was in January 2016.

MYTH: "ok buddy try playn the vidya on dos. o wait u can not bc dos-basedh vidya gaems stopped bein made liek in 1995, before i wuz even boarn"
FACT: True, most games released today are not DOS-compatible, but all the classics are. Unlike you, little one, I enjoy games with great gameplay as opposed to shitty ones with tightened graphics. Doom, Civilization, Commander Keen, Raptor, etc. These are games which are TIMELESS, which means they will always be fun, even 10 years from now when you're starting college.

THE COMMAND LINE IS KING!

"but wait, lols, teh command line sux besides u can use lunix if u want to type hsit"

The DOS command line is much more intuitive. If you want to use the CLI in Linux you need to memorize random, unintuitive combinations of letters. And if the CLI reminds you too much of typing book reports in school, there are many DOS graphic shells around. Educate yourselves: chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html

While you guys are playing with your toy OS, I'll be using the only true practical operating system: DOS.

Attached: 2000px-StartingMsdos2-348x196.jpg (348x196, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wilmott.ca/sled.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nobody cares, autist

t. guy who posts in "everyday carry" threads, "battlestation" threads, and makes threads about consumerist shit

fpbp
OP you thought this was awesome bait but it just shows how much of a sperg you are
it's not even pasta, you actually took the time to write that wall of text. get a fucking life

So... are you posting from Arachne?

>it's not even pasta
It is, but it's pasta that I wrote myself back in 2013, back when the latest FreeDOS version was in 2012. My arguments are still valid.

Of course.

If you have a DOS machine and you aren't playing this you are missing out.

Attached: img20171120_08164126.jpg (1676x1669, 2.04M)

>I'll be using the only true practical operating system: DOS
you know I really appreciate the attempt at a troll, but you really need to step your game up

Proofs?

Attached: 1400184430946.webm (640x360, 321K)

Ironically, DOS does not support screencaps

Attached: 1415712530215.jpg (285x249, 9K)

gtfo this is a high-functioning autistic board

Why use DOS when you could use Plan 9 desu. Older 9 versions even went t so far as to host themselves from DOS for the pc ports.

ok, faggot. congratulations

FreeDOS doesn't support my hardware, however Linux -does. With basic GNU utils I can do the same stuff u do on dos.

I mastered DOS at the age of 13. Get real.

Arachne?
Too bad it's not very good. You can browse 1995 style pages at like 640x480. Try anything vaguely modern and you're going nowhere.

Music players?
Yeah they exist, but they aren't very good, format support is archaic and limited, and if you hoped to play music while doing something else, too damn bad.

January 2016 is 2 years ago. You're shilling a 2 year old replica of a 30+ year old OS.

DOS command line is ass. UNIX already existed and CP/M and later DOS was inspired by it but crippled to be able to run on machines with just a few KB of RAM.

>botnet free
>lightweight
>more games than Linux
>alot of businesses still rely on it for their specific software

You my friend have made a wise choice. Ignore all the naysayers; they're just jealous they can't migrate

>using Wordstar when EDIT.COM exists

>using EDIT.COM when TYPE CON > FILE.TXT exists

this post gave me autism

It was actually released in late December 2016, so it's less than 1.5 years.

No updates in nearly a year and a half. For an OS this is basically abandonware.

OP, my nigga, we need more people like you.

It's continually updated. I think after 20 years of updates and a still-active dev team, it's not abandonware.
In fact, the founder and lead dev of FreeDOS has been involved with it longer than Microsoft was involved with MS-DOS.

You can emulate every MSDOS game with a Linux distro.

what a fucking loser, relying on an operating system to do tasks. talk to me when you use punch cards and magnetic tape instead of using floppyshits

Attached: smugeddy.jpg (285x249, 8K)

>Arachne
>last updated 2013

If you think DOS and no javascript is gonna save you from some autist developing an exploit just to piss you off, you're wrong. It's written in C, I'm sure someone can encode an exploit in an image or hypertext or something.

>DOS does not support screencaps
what is TSRs

>being this new to not use SLED
wilmott.ca/sled.html

Using a camera to take a picture of your screen with a timestamp. Load the SD card into a reader with DOS drivers. Exit out of your web browser and copy over the image (may not be necessary if your drivers allow you to mount an SD card like a normal drive). Open your web browser again. And then upload it faggot.

>MUH EMULATION
>Y-YOU CAN USE WINE /v/

>calling DOS MSDOS

arachne's really shit
you can listen to music... but glhf doing anything else at the same time (namely because a lot of the other shit you want to run doesn't play nicely with something as timing sensitive as audio playback, so enjoy your choppiness)
freedos is barely updated and a bunch of shit on their site leads to dead links
the best piece of software for DOS, DESQView (lets you do more than one thing at once, high compatibility, nice interface, lots of options) still has an asston of issues with various programs, and it's commercial, and it needs a huge-fuck memory manager to work with > 640k RAM

literally just use anything else

format support isn't that bad with mpxplay
the real get fucked issue is playing video under DOS (I know someone ported mplayer to DOS fucking ages ago though)

this shit's actually kind of annoying
I don't know of any that work in graphics mode.

I know there's a bunch that support text-mode dumps.

spent a lot of time doing that on old machines that didn't have DOS EDIT
because holy fuck edlin sucks

>not using CP/M

Why would you support M$/IBM by using MSDOS?

Attached: 1506277966343.jpg (976x774, 135K)

>I know there's a bunch that support text-mode dumps.
that is true, but most people would probably want PCXDUMP instead, since it does SVGA/VESA screencaps.

>PCXDUMP
shit, I needed this ages ago
thanks mate

>FreeDOS
>supporting Microsoft

kekkity kek, don't come bek

lmao

freedos is just as shit as reactos

Isn't NetSurf ported to FreeDOS? That browser has JavaScript.

>Doom, Civilization, Commander Keen, Raptor, etc.
If you haven't already, try the Ultima series, various Sierra adventures, and Pirates!.
>And if the CLI reminds you too much of typing book reports in school, there are many DOS graphic shells around.
If you don't need a gooey, try Norton Commander or whatever clone exists for FreeDOS.

why are you so mean?

>Norton Commander
don't forget NU.EXE, most comfy hex editor and cornerstone of Norton Utilities

Most of the best games are on DOS tbhfam. I believe Xtree or Ytree file manager is in DOS too.

Not subtle enough

>Norton
DOS Navigator if you want many features or VC, if you want to go compact

Attached: 1477719284848.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

>NU.EXE
>NU

Attached: soy wojak.png (644x800, 15K)

Someone should make a small computer with FreeDOS, is a sexy machine.

Does DOS even have system memory protection

Can someone tell me which games to play on dos?

System Shock

MegaRace

Attached: o.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

Rise of the Triad

xcom ufo defense

Attached: xcom_ufo_defense.png (641x482, 131K)

This is my Shit. I have all 3 in big box.

>yfw if we stayed at this level of computing there'd be no bloat and no normalfags.

Attached: 1523571142192.png (518x391, 166K)

You made some good points but
>The DOS command line is much more intuitive.
this is where you lost me. Good thread though

>implying FreeDOS needs to be cutting-edge
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Fuck Lance Boyle!!!

>he has to make a million strawmen to make his choice of hipstershit to look even remotely attractive
Lol faggot.

Fallout 1. Ultima series, anything by Sid Meier, and old Lucas Arts and Sierra adventure games for starters.

>look at my autism
Away from me, you vile creature

>The DOS command line is much more intuitive. If you want to use the CLI in Linux you need to memorize random, unintuitive combinations of letters
Savage

Take a photo with a camera. I would really like to see Jow Forums on DOS

Taking the bait

>dos doesnt support multithreading
>dos doesnt have priviliged instructions, therefore any malware could potentially brick your pc

So why is it good again?

lol dos is gay and obsolete.

Anyway stopped reading there. Go blog on tumblr you fucking autist

>wordstart
only brainlets rely on muscle memory

Who cares?

did dos ever get something like a mulitplexer or do you need windows to multitask?
Also, I was a poor little first gen immigrant as a kid, still on an ancient compaq dos machine in 97 and I always scoffed at the windows computers in elementary school because "it's not a real computer if you have to use a mouse"
Yes, I was the original Jow Forums hipster.

DOS has no documentation.

Attached: 170px-IBM_DOS_1.1_Manual_and_Disk.jpg (170x238, 10K)

Install DR-DOS.

Yes, I dont remember the name but some applications even gave it multitasking.

>even 10 years from now when you're starting college.

Attached: 1497014813296.png (1920x1080, 977K)

But that's wrong you nigger

>command line intuitive
>uses inverted backslash

>DR-DOS
>last update: 2011

i tryed use it but i cantnt find task bar or windoww

OpenGEM

>
>xcom ufo defense
Play openxcom instead

I currently have MS-DOS 6.22, Caldera DR-DOS, and FreeDOS 1.1 installed in VirtualBox VMs. I've been meaning to start adding more modern bells and whistles like networking support (via the PC/TCP Packet Driver and similar packages), but haven't gotten around to it. It would be cool to be able to do my coding, read ebooks, jerk off to DeviantArt nudes, AND surf Jow Forums all from within DOS.

Attached: msbackup07.png (1080x600, 268K)

FUCK YOU i downloaded it thinking it was a new OS and it DIDNT OPEN.