I have got a question I want to learn how os works how could I start...

I have got a question I want to learn how os works how could I start, should I instal arch or freebsd to learn how it works?

Attached: c4b.png (1465x1007, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.osdev.org
amazon.com/Operating-Concepts-Seventh-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/0471694665/
amazon.com/Design-UNIX-Operating-System/dp/0132017997
amazon.com/Design-Implementation-UNIX-Operating-System/dp/0201061961/
amazon.com/Understanding-Linux-Kernel-Third-Daniel/dp/0596005652/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gentoo

le pro arch is just pajeet retardation, if you follow the wiki carefully and have common sensen you'll be done in 30 minutes
great OS but it's far from the rocket science you're looking for
unironically install gentoo or LFS if you want to learn something

wiki.osdev.org
should get you started at least

So I'm assuming you have no prior knowledge of computers.

Your OS won't make you learn that. I don't know how you could, besides being properly instructed. Archlinux is a nightmare OS and a friend of mine praises having switched to a MacBook and I don't know if you'd have the adequate community support on FreeBSD.

If anything, install Fedora with i3 and get used to the cli. The cli isn't "how OS works" but you won't learn anything else with Archlinux.

No.

Thanks but i want to ask something because I'm not quiet sure, Are each distros much different from one another or those are just minor changes?

With Archlinux you'd have a mandatory 2-hours-a-day maintenance (I'm simply talking about installing and configuring packages) and I don't have these problems with Fedora.

By the way, I'd suggest you BSD if anything to avoid Poettering shitting in your computer.

Unironically install Void or Gentoo

I'm sorry, I'm quite unclear.

I don't know. I know, from several discussions with former Arch users, that Archlinux is extremely flexible (as in "you have to work 2 hours a day to get a functioning distribution"). It's also quite like the Scientology church, you're required to maintain packages and contribute without obvious technical knowledge while Fedora is backed by RedHat (i.e. a bunch of assholes).

I'd suggest the average user Ubuntu for the great packages and the broad technical support, but if you want to learn how a computer works why not FreeBSD.

neither, read a fucking book

>With Archlinux you'd have a mandatory 2-hours-a-day maintenance (I'm simply talking about installing and configuring packages)
Guess how I can tell you've never used Arch

nixos

Try Linux From Scratch. That should help you get an idea how Linux works, at least.

Literally everything said about Arch on these posts is false.

Operating Systems Design & Implementation - Andrew S. Tanenbaum

>I want to install Arch or FreeBSD
proof that arch autismos have no fucking clue
>b-but muh wiki is detailed xD

>gentoo
>LFS
Run emacs.

I found the book Operating System Concepts to be helpful in learning the internal workings of operating systems. After that I would suggest reading The Design of the Unix Operating System, Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Operating System, and/or Understanding the Linux Kernel to learn the specifics of Unix/Linux implementation.

amazon.com/Operating-Concepts-Seventh-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/0471694665/

amazon.com/Design-UNIX-Operating-System/dp/0132017997

amazon.com/Design-Implementation-UNIX-Operating-System/dp/0201061961/

amazon.com/Understanding-Linux-Kernel-Third-Daniel/dp/0596005652/

This is what I can say from discussions with biology students and my experience, but ok

They just said they're trying to learn you sperg

Unironically install Gentoo

You're actually retarded holy shit, I don't even like arch and this is demonstrably false.

>Arch user so unstable he makes a 1-line comment before returning to massive procrastination
been there, done that

>Sudo pacman -Syu
>y
There you go. You're done for the day.

install gentoo

Why Gentoo?

>sudo yaourt -Syua
>firefox-always-nightly compiles for 15 minutes

Install Slackware and learn both Linux and BSD at the same time

Sorry, "yaourt -Syua" (without sudo), I'm not used to this bullshit anymore

Arch to learn how an OS works.
BSD to learn ways an OS won't work.

+1 for this, on uni we had an OS class, and we used the Silberschatz book. You can find it online too and it gets regularly updated.