/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Back to the origins edition

Attached: gentoohd.jpg (3840x2160, 339K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd#Available_without_standard_GNU_tools
urbackup.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No

Attached: 1517118728315.png (320x338, 122K)

which one should i choose between debian unstable and ubuntu?
i have used both and feels good towards both distros

I'd argue ubuntu if you debloat.

good thread
>i remember

bad post

pretty much the same except debian is more anal
whichever you go for make use of their live cd first, it's not unlikely that it may not work right on your pc
i'd go with lubuntu tho, can test it and if it's ok, can just use openbox after install or something else as it's minimal enough and should include the necessary firmwares

no not this again.
the gnufags are going to shit this up so badly

are there even any distros that don't run with gnu utilities?

android

>I'd argue ubuntu if you debloat
ubuntu actually provides a minimal install iso,the only problem is to make it work under UEFI
>pretty much the same except debian is more anal
in which aspect?i know debian is freetard distro and you need to enable the use of non-free firmware manually

I think most even worked on Alpine, but I'm not sure if every last GNU utility compiles against musl.

>in which aspect
no proprietary firmwares so your wifi video etc may work like crap or not work at all
buntu include those ootb no need to dildo yourself

>a minimal install iso
don't
use the live cds

plus ok fonts ootb as well an who knows what else

I have a laptop with a OS partition of about 60gb I'd like to backup. I'd like to back it up to my desktop computer, over the local network. I'd like to back it up in a workable state, including the OS files and all.
What's the best tool for this?

Is antergos the most busted distro people unironically use?

Attached: ghfdrfghk.png (666x510, 291K)

Am I fucking stupid or does Gnome lack lots of features that XFCE and KDE have out of the box

probably
duno what it lacks compared to xfce but technically gnome works bad

What did he mean by this?
Antergos is, IMHO, actually bretty good.

>decide to use manjaro
>spend an hour and a half trying to install discord
>give up

Shouldn't be this hard. Why are you like this, GNU/Linux™?
I tried everything and the best I could get was a discord app to open and crash, not list itself in my system but show up on the top bar over and over and then just crash.

I'm just going to install Ubuntu what the fug

>using discord

Attached: 1522428370766.jpg (640x754, 93K)

Just install Mint if you want Ubuntu without the botnet.

What's the difference between installing Ubuntu and then changing the DE to KDE or XFCE vs. installing Kubuntu/Xubuntu etc.

I'd rather have something that just werks and toggle off the botnet, sounds sad but I can live with it.

just install gentoo because it has discord in portage repos

My battery life on XPS9560 Ubuntu 17.10.1 is fucking horrible, lmao. 2 hour tops now.

Mean while I can boot Windows and have nearly triple.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1490001131432.jpg (1312x2000, 235K)

A thread just for the GNU operating system's favorite kernel.
How nice.

Bad thread

Bad post

install tlp

youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc

This, I like the flexibility of manjaro without having to go full arch, but at the end of the day I just keep going back to mint when I encounter stuff that should be inmediate and takes my (ok, maybe not so) valuable time.

Mint xfce ftw.

Attached: 1506401729180.jpg (1000x1498, 172K)

Is it like ThrottleStop?

Windows 10 laptop battery manager is so much better it's ridiculous.

Try this one

>Every distro ever completely shits itself before, during, or immediately after installation if you dare to have a laptop with hybrid graphics

That's what you get for buying nvidia, enemy of your freedom.

What the fuck is 'hybrid graphic'
some sort of a fucking mix of 2D, 3D and 4D spaces in the monitor or what

So I just installed clean Windows install. I have to use that crap because of the work. But I want to do everything else on either Debian or openSUSE - so when I want to dualboot, the process should be like this now, right?
>shrink Windows partition
>install the distro on that freed partition

Now will everything work fine? Won't one of those systems fuck up my boot? Especially Windows being retarded. I will have to switch rather frequently.

it switches between cpu graphics and discrete gpu to balance power usage depending on what you're doing

It is often said that ubuntu is a botnet because of the amazon mess and the fact that canonical is a company. Is xubuntu ok privacy wise?

Amazon scraping queries happened only on Unity (default Ubuntu), but I'd advice looking it up yourself.

If you have time to subscribe to technical rss feeds than I guess any other *buntu is fine. If you don't have the time though, I'd suggest looking for an alternative.

OpenSUSE/Fedora/Any other arch derivative with installer is great imo ~ take everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm just a random hobbysit.

How trustworthy is manjaro? I have used xubuntu for a while because I'm lazy and this just werks but I'm beginning to get suspicious of canonical again.

How the heck do I change Display Scaling in Xubuntu?

It's not in Display or Desktop.

Can't help there, no idea, sorry.

you can at least adjust font size from Appearance -> fonts

test, posting from usb lubuntu
which is the difference between lubuntu and xubuntu?

What's going on, big guy? Did you fucking forget something?

Attached: 1.jpg (1024x576, 45K)

How does Canonical decide what to pick in their catalog

what distro should I choose if I don't want Jow Forums to make fun of my choice

Ubuntu.

>friendly XNU thread
>friendly NT thread
>friendly Linux thread (don't.mention GNU because freedoms is the jew communist freedoms meme)
>reminder that proprietary software is fine
>who /wsl/ here?
EMBRACE

Attached: yes-thats-linus-torvalds-happily-chatting-with-microsoft-folks-at-a-tech-conference.jpg (1024x512, 86K)

Lubuntu uses lxde, xubuntu uses xfce. LXDE is lighter but xfce has more features.

apartheid linux

How picky are tar backups? If I make one of a system with separate / and /home, and then restore it to a single partition (/), will it work?

wtf

>apartheid linux
Kek, it actually exists. Neat.

Suicide Linux is a Debian-based distro for the perfect typist. Any time you type any remotely incorrect command, the interpreter creatively resolves it into rm -rf / and wipes your hard drive.

>rm -rf /
But that wouldnt do anything

I cannot boot the Gentoo LiveCD. I always freezes on "Waiting for uevents to be processed...". I don't understand how I am supposed to pass kernel parameters. I tried adding "dolvm" to the livecd linux boot but I never get past uevents.

>apartheid linux
but how does it know if I am white when I install it?

What's the difference between Debian and Ubuntu?

a difference in moral platitudes

Webcam

So it disrespects my freedoms

Only if you're black.

Debian is older and pretty much the standard, Ubuntu came to be because people wanted to have the prepackaged install as ready to use as possible with codecs and programs. Debian in current year has evolved as well so it's not difficult enough to validate a separate distro anymore. If Ubuntu would start right now it wouldn't be as big. Just use the nonfree ISO of Debian and choose a nice DE and it's great for anyone. Of course Ubuntu isn't hard to use either so it doesn't matter much which one you choose.

What's the difference between Gentoo and Arch?

They are both like Debian in that they aren't subdistros of anything. They are their own distros. That's why they aren't as comparable as Debian and Ubuntu. Gentoo makes you build your system from the ground up and compile all your programs into binaries. Arch just uses the binaries other people have compiled. They have different package managers as well, although I've heard you can use Arch's package manager in Gentoo if you want since you build Gentoo anyway. They both are way more minimal than Ubuntu since they don't come with any programs for end user, you have to choose and install everything.

Disclaimer: I haven't used Gentoo personally so I might be wrong about something

Someone please help me I've been coding this for 9 hours. I'm trying to configure my fan drivers for my Thinkpad T420 using a program called Thinkfan on Debian 9.
It's taken a while but when I turn on my computer and use the code:

systemctl status thinkfan.service

It says my program is running but whenever I use the command

sudo cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan

The status says disabled, how to enable it, preferably every time on boot? My objective is to just have a silent pc when I'm casually browsing.

Attached: linuxishell.jpg (495x362, 23K)

Also, randomly when I'll use my computer, my fan RPM suddenly spikes to extremely high speeds for about 5 seconds, and will calm down again at little to no speed

Is there a RUFUS alternative for Linux
The only ones I found only allow for Ubuntu .isos and nothing else

dd

Why won't my bspwmrc window manager config take effect? It is executable and the XDG_CONFIG_HOME path is set in bash_profile. I am calling exec bspwm in the last line of my .xinitrc

I DONT UNDERSTAND
DING DONG I HAVE SPACE IN MY FILE NAME AND IT CANNOT DECODE IT FOR DD

Escape it or use quotes or dont use fucking white space

FUCKING WHITE SPACE

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.11M)

Install Alpine non-GNU/Linux to be free from interjections. That will show Stallman.

Install Android non-GNU/Linux to be free from interjections. That will show Stallman.

>Alpine
Enjoy cripple computing.

>GNU SED
$ echo axxx bxx cx | sed 's/\b[a-z]//g'
xxx xx x

>BuggyBox SED
$ echo axxx bxx cx | sed 's/\b[a-z]//g'
axxx x cx

>GNU AWK
$ awk 'BEGIN { printf "%d\n", 10240000000000/1024 }'

>BuggyBox AWK
$ awk 'BEGIN { printf "%d\n", 10240000000000/1024 }'

Also enjoy your GNU whenever you want to actually use your system outside of your router or container.

Attached: bug.png (720x1234, 168K)

It is. My experience with the installer has always been hit or miss though.

Isn't there a snap, appimage, or flatpack, for that software? I'd recommend using that over anything in the repos.

How to install linux in android?

Attached: 1523916584952.png (1200x1414, 259K)

if you're going to be a gnu shill turd then at least post the real output from busybox sed

./busybox-x86_64 echo axxx bxx cx | ./busybox-x86_64 sed 's/\b[a-z]//g'

Attached: feet eater.jpg (1920x1080, 66K)

>I'm beginning to get suspicious of canonical again.
Don't. I'm of the extremely paranoid breed, and I've monitored my network traffic intensely, both on my desktop and server, and I always come up with nothing beyond Canonical extending it's feelers to update my system. It's actually pretty rare for me to not have at least iftop and tcpdump running while doing anything on a computer. I witnessed some shady shit going on while monitoring an Android phone a long time ago, and have been paranoid since.

that's even worse which version btw?

Linux is already installed in Android.

BusyBox v1.28.1 (2018-02-15 14:34:02 CET)

>\b
>feeding non-POSIX regex into a POSIX command

absolutely disgusting

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd#Available_without_standard_GNU_tools

Alpine, Void (muslc ed.) and NanoLinux are probably the best known.

But where is the anime?

Attached: 1517892415204.png (1000x1000, 223K)

Whats so wrong with systemd?

Has anybody try triple booting between two GNU/Linux distros and Windows, or a GNU/Linux disto. a *BSD and Windows?

Got any tips for doing so?

Attached: main-qimg-8662b269600430b7947b0ee7af3eaa30-c.jpg (448x336, 48K)

It's too easy.

Memers spreading systemd a botnet cancer, newfags believing.

The actual problem with systemd is about design and development philosophy, but the while botnet meme is nothing but cancer. Systemd is fine to use.

Sorry, this thread is about just linux. GNUfags not welcome.

>this shit
>fine
Maybe if you're a pajeet who is used to looking up shit on SO every 5 minutes.

Attached: 2018-04-17-223220_838x389_scrot.png (838x389, 36K)

so why doens't systemd just say not superuser like slackware

If you dislike something, modify, recompile, run. If ur a brainlet, stop posting.

Because what systemd is doing, is what you'd actually expect a non-permissioned user, to be able to do.

Because the system is so complex that it can't give you simple answers any more.
Just to check if you're authorized, polkit has to execute JS(!!!) code. And just to use polkit, systemd has to communicate it via dbus, which also does some authorization checks.

Or I could I just keep the init system I've been using just fine for over a decade....

I am setting up btrfs and urbackup
urbackup.org/

anyone in here understands raids with btrfs?
I want stripe
so I cleared disks with cfdisk
and did mkfs.btrfs -d raid0 -m raid1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

but what now? I should mount and create subvolume, but cant really mount the newraid
from some youtube videos it seems like I should just mount sda and do stuff with it as if it was representant of the newly created raid
or I could do the same shit with sdb

any good straight forward guide on this?
urbackup is amazing and btrfs allows some great features, mostly the backups working like deduplicating with no need for either periodic full backup, or need for every single incremental backup in chain when restoring

Linux is a kernel.