Everything provokes a buffer overflow.

Javascript
R
C/C++
Cobol

R is nice

brainlet

R is fine for what it is.
If you are doing something that is hard or slow in R, you are using it wrong.
It is not a general purpose language.

R is great though

I used to like C++ but the deeper you go into it the more lovecraftian it gets

Javascript kills me inside.

Why? R is great for what its supposed to be used.

C++, Java, Cobol, and Perl.

All ugly and tedious languages, but Java is the worst, since I know I'll probably have to learn it at some point due to its ubiquity in mobile app development (especially Android).

You could just not get a job as a developer. Then you can keep your soul too!

The Unix shell scripting languages are quirky and can be kind of unintuitive (for example, the == string operator in bash only works if you put spaces around it, an error that took me forever to pin down on some occasions). Other than that, I've found shell scripting to be extremely useful for automating terminal tasks.

One thing I've found shell scripting to be indispensible for is automating batch downloads with wget. Say I want to download the HTML version of SICP (actually did this once). I can either go to the website and manually save each and every page, or I can figure out what patterns the HTML filenames go by, and use that to automate the download. I can't stress enough how much frustration this saves for someone who doesn't have good Internet connectivity at home.

In that case I guess I have a choice between Java's tedious class structure and the millions of nu-male frameworks written for the web. Pick your poison.

How I long for the simple days of designing sorting algorithms in Fortran on a VAX-780 running 4.3BSD...

Oh shit, I misread that post as "you could just get a job as a web developer".

Just thought I'd explain that to avoid confusion.

>try using R as a calculator
>it fucks up on even the most basic calculations
???

This is what Ruby is for.

Like what?

Attached: talkin-shit-about-gnu.jpg (1080x1471, 170K)

it gives me a shit ton of decimal places during division even though there shouldn't be many

actionscript

Ruby doesn't really give you direct access to the shell though. You have to use the backtick escape to run a shell command, which seems more limited than running the commands directly. I could be wrong though. I've never tried to automate shell tasks with Ruby. It might work for the example I gave, assuming you can do string interpolation with variable values within Ruby backtick sequences.

It uses double precision floating point.

Can't you just truncate it then?

I mean, say you want the answer to three decimal places. Then multiply by 1000, cast to an integer, and then move the decimal place back to where it was.

Rounding errors are a fact of life in programming with floating point values expressed in binary. This is hardly unique to R.

Yes.
`rm -rf #{mylife}`

Read a book on memory safety. The vast majority of buffer overflow vulnerabilities are the result of programmers not fully understanding the code they're writing.

>cast to integer
R only have double precision floating points so the closest thing is to use floor.

I'm gonna go try that. (Not with rm of course, just the general concept.)

tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down.

So just use Kotlin or Scala

FORTRAN

I tried the code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby
# coding: utf-8

printf "Enter directory to list: "
dir = gets.strip
`ls #{dir}`

It barfed out an error:
warning: Insecure world writable dir
in PATH, mode 040777

Not sure exactly what that means. It looks like a problem with permissions, but I don't see how.

Fucking Java

I hate it and coffee

is Scala dead yet?

Are there any that you recommend?

Python. It is dumbed down to the point where it is unintuitive for me. It is simplified to the point where my mind expects things that aren't there.

Attached: Q3jvvbz.jpg (350x464, 34K)

Totally this. Going from C to Python was a horrible experience for me. I still hate Python but I have to use it.

I don't see any, all the one I know are great tools in some context, when you know what you're doing

I learned most of what I know about memory safety from the Software Security course on Coursera (it runs every Fall and every Spring I think). I got one of those yellow O'Reilly books (yellow is the color code for security); I think it's called Secure Coding: Principles and Practice. You can look it up on Amazon. I haven't actually read it yet, but that's probably your best bet, since I'm not sure if the Coursera course is open at the moment.

C# and .NET.
I didn't mind using Python and bash at my previous job but the new job I am really dreading.

Wrong
C is very enjoyable
One of the greatest joys in programming is implementing generic abstract data types in C with opaque void pointers and have the memory allocation work with no leaks
It really demystifies a lot other languages

Agreed. When you're accustomed to implementing everything from the ground up, languages that try to do everything for you have the potential to be unintentionally frustrating and tedious.

This works for me.

I'd simplify this:
print "Enter directory to list: "
`ls #{gets}`

The spawned shell doesn't care about whitespace.

Go.

Even it's creator admitted to creating it with pajeets in mind. Holy shit what a fuckhole of a language.

I don't really mind using any language at this point so far. I definitely find R as mega-comfy for EDA though. It works well for its use cases.

F

RRRREEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1463699802486.jpg (893x600, 95K)

>perl
fag
Perl is like one of the best old languages out there.

Use the round function, or reset your global options with options(scipen = n) where n is the number of digits after the decimal you want to return

JavaScript in any form beyond imperative programming.

C++, VB6, Scala, BASIC, R, Bash/*sh

SAS. Hate it.

>Haskell (((expert))) detected
it should be mentioned with all the FP hype floating around that Javascript programmers are the only programmers who write a shit ton of production code using high order functions, closures regularly as their main code, not just as a little FP add on. Its also worth mentioning that Javascript set the standard for high order functions and that other scripting languages like Python, Ruby, Perl come no where near as powerful. Most the FP language users on Jow Forums are posers so of course they are going to hate on JS

How exactly do you use higher order functions in JS anyway? I have years of familiarity with this language and for some reason I've never encountered any of these functional features.

when there are no parenthesis after the function name then it treats the function as data which can be passed around. Putting the parenthesis next to the function name activates it.

You can do that in C though. C's not a functional language, but it lets you pass function pointers as parameters.

except C pointers to functions are just that, pointers, which means there is no anonymous functions that can be declared in place, or nested functions, or functions that can be assigned scope, sorry, but your stupid C tricks hold no water against real high order functions

sh/Bash makes me physically ill to use, but goddamn is it useful

Can you do lambdas in JS?

a lambda is just a fancy name for anonymous function and of course JS makes huge use of anonymous functions especially in callbacks

Whats wrong with C++? the syntax is pretty shit but its argubly amongst the best in its domain.

Matlab
It's not painful or anything but I can feel myself forgetting how to code in C/C++ with every letter I type

>Whats wrong with C++? the syntax is pretty shit but its argubly amongst the best in its domain.
There is nothing 'best' about C++, C++ got common use simply by being compatible with C. C became the defacto standard simply because universities stopped teaching CS/EE and through out most the study of electronics and turned the CS curriculum into a trade school that only teaches the unix standard. The clib library became the interface which all systems communicated. There is nothing good about C itself, its a shit language that attracts low skilled programmers. All C++ does is put a layer of templates to provide OO shell on top of C. The fact that C/C++ programmers are at a complete loss to say anything about C++ other than chest thumping about it being the (((best))) or (((industry standard))) speaks to their mentality level

LOL sorry that you aren't a good statistician. The R programming language is superior to SPSS

I dread JavaScript. I use R as an excel replacement, making graphs for management, I find it comfy

The only valid answer in this thread is JavaScript, since there aren't simply any alternatives.

There's nothing cringier than when people use triple-parentheses as a universal substitute for quotes.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 199K)

How the fuck can Jow Forums hate R?
It's basically infix Lisp. It has all the FP and homo-icon shit you faggots love.

It sure as hell is not homoiconic, its about as opposite as you can get to homoiconic and is imperative to the extreme where you are constantly mutating data in place

C is the most enjoyable language I've come across so far.

>C is the most enjoyable language I've come across so far.
I know, learning new things is hard, its nice to be able to make repeated use of a 48 year old language so we dont have to invent anything new

Bash
VBA

> class(1L)
[1] "integer"

It depends on how you use it re mutating
for me variables might as well be immutable and I use R a lot

>he doesn't know
get the fuck out faggot

Java.

Visual Basic
JavaScript without TypeScript.
PHP.
Unfortunately, I've been dealing with all three the past month.

Well I didn't see you post any alternatives in your post, so drop the unhelpful snarky faggotry.

Also, your argument implying that it's old so we shouldn't use it is retarded, for instance, Math is a millenia old language that is integral to civilization.

>it's old so it's bad
man the wheel sure sucks, it's time we switch to something better

*several millennia

I dont have a problem with people using C/C++ as a benchmark for new ideas because C/C++ basically says: "I dont care" to a lot of issues about memory management and garbage collection, etc. But "I dont care" is not a solution, so I really dont accept words like 'best' getting thrown around as a legitimate reason to use any language

You know you can use other languages as a shell? I use a Python shell. Is also super useful to map and reserve some variables for ease of use like cd

PHP

Hindi

R is pretty good, i do almost everything in it these days that i would have done in matlab few years ago

Delphi
VB
JavaScript

R is literally the only reason why I have a job.

>get hired as a .NET developer
>oh cool I get to use C#
>entire codebase is in vb

Spotted the IBM shill.

There's nothing you can do in R that you can't in Python

I've got bad news about portability and start up times for you user...

I absolutely hate Chef, and by extension, Ruby

Sysadmin here that mainly does Bash, Python, and Perl.

Having to write Chef cookbooks coming from an Ansible background made me want to kill myself.

doubt your life is recursive

It does. All those friction losses, all that headache of rotational inertia, being limited to moving on a 2D surface when everyone knows 3D >>>> 2D... plus according to Back To The Future flying cars are now 3 years overdue. GET TO IT.

Fucking VBA! I actually thought I would be done with that shit in my professional career, but nooooooooooo

Unpopular opinion, I like vb.net

Assuming < ES5 Javascript I feel you. Using ES6 or later isn't as terrible, but having to set up Babel/Webpack is a pain.

Seriously? How?

Almost. Just need to convince everyone Spark isn't the only way to write ETL jobs.

Tbh, mostly because it's familiar, vb is the first language I learned and every job I've had is 90% or more vb back end

>Unpopular opinion, I like vb.net
I think its safe to assume the code he is updating is VB6, Ive never heard of anyone using VB.NET