Why does X suck and need to be “replaced with Wayland.” What specifically about it cannot be fixed...

Why does X suck and need to be “replaced with Wayland.” What specifically about it cannot be fixed? I’ve been messing around with vanilla X and it works just fine. The only thing I have issues with is tearing when playing HD video. I think that is just due to my nonexistent dedicated GPU. If its free software why not just adapt the current X model instead of replacing everything? When I install Weston it sure seems fast but almost nothing is supported! And it seems like Wayland is limited by relying on EGL.

Attached: F8291F03-32C7-44B0-9EAF-B5E7599B42B9.png (1024x640, 391K)

Can't program A read the memory of programs B, C, and D because of the way X is designed?

Is a lie, there are multiple implementations of X and it happends that the shittier implementation got popular by RedHat, now happens that the same company is shilling Wayland.

>The only thing I have issues with is tearing when playing HD video. I think that is just due to my nonexistent dedicated GPU.
You can fix this by using an X compositor like compton, a dedicated GPU is not needed

Wouldn’t a compositer just mask the issue by dropping frames? Software shouldn’t be able to make up for lacking hardware

Bump

>memory of programs
No, the window contents.
And only if the programs don't use direct rendering.
And only if they all run as the same user.

It doesnt work 90% of time
Its basicly the gpu drivers, if they are shit you will have tearing

The reason X needs to be replaced is that developers only get paid when they're developing.

>Why
because people who maintain it figured it would be easier for them to start from scratch
>tearing
mesa radeon mpv with --fs has no tearing, firefox too

>Weston
is sort of usable if you switch alt-tab to alt-space but xwayland can sometimes crash your session
plus scrolling in firefox is best without any compositor, tho weston is much better than gnome which makes mpv stutter

>because people who maintain it figured it would be easier for them to start from scratch
X11 didn't end up a mess by itself, it was made that way by people...The same people who are now making Wayland.

i don't think so, i can bet the people who made it are the one maintain it the last 10 years

>are the one
aren't

Bump

From what I understand, the main problem with X is that it's unnecessarily slow. Wayland integrates the window manager with the window server, so you don't have the overhead of those two programs constantly sending messages back and forth. IPC is computationally expensive, and as a general rule, if two programs are almost always used together, you can make performance gains by merging them into one.

That, and it's also so massive that it's a security nightmare

It's a software problem to begin with.

- Fractional scaling is non existent on X
- Screen tearing has been a problem on Linux for a long time
- nvidia fuck you

>And only if the programs don't use direct rendering.
>And only if they all run as the same user.
pretty damn common

Fun fact: the server client design was because Unix didn't have shared libraries at the time. Network transparency was sort of accidental and was never as fast as VNC/RDP.

>- Screen tearing has been a problem on Linux for a long time
werks on my machine. Assholes just cant into configs.

No compositing: virtually unlimited frame rate but your screen only shows a fraction of them anyway and because there's no vsync it shows in-between frames, which is tearing
Compositing: smooth 60fps or whatever your display supports, vsync (unless you're a using novidya with power saving mode enabled or something)

Even on novidya there's a toggle in nvidia-settings for it. Then all you need is "compton -b --backend glx" and the rest just werkz.

>What specifically about it cannot be fixed?
The codebase. It's far too large, very complex, and mostly written by people who are no longer software developers.

>- Fractional scaling is non existent on X
>- Screen tearing has been a problem on Linux for a long time
>- nvidia fuck you
All of these things work just fine on AMD cards with Ubuntu Unity.

Yes, but also harmless.

>[citation needed]
Given that X was developed as part of Project Athena for making a distributed computing environment, I strongly doubt your claims.

You doubt that Unix had no dynamic linking at the time?

Only to programs that don't display sensitive information right?

No, I doubt that network transparency was not an explicit goal.

Not that it doesn't make me curious about the more precise history of dynamic linking on Unix.

If they're running as the same user, they should be able to trust each other anyway, or one of them could simply ptrace the other.

OP here. What compositor should I install on top of vanilla startx

1.Rootless by design
2.Multi monitor DPI/ratio handling
3.Xorg devs moved to Wayland
4.the full Xorg is built into Xwayland for legacy support and setup by the former Xorg devs
5.Xorg has existed before Linux and was designed for multi desktop mainframes not single user desktops
6.Xorg is literally a networking stack which is complicated with all of its traffic and socket permissions which allows cross talk between every program run under the same user which includes input
7.works really well on arm/mips and in vehicle entertainment systems

Bump

8. Wayland can make much more aggressive use of atomic modesetting and hardware overlays, making the RPi series much snappier.