Software Engineering: a real Engineering discipline

or a meme discipline created by CS brainlets and code monkeys to make themselves feel important and to steal the respect and social standing that REAL engineers have accrued over the centuries?

Attached: mamta.jpg (1200x799, 626K)

>software engineering
programming

It depends on what you're working on
It's engineering in the sense that you're orchestrating a product with strict requirements and it must adhere to certain standards. Also there's usually a lot behind the scenes that happens to actually get the product up and running in a usable state, you need to architect everything to work together. So yes there's lots of software engineers that do real engineering, your typical MacBook displaying webdev is not one. I mean unless an engineer is a research engineer they're not doing anything special either, most only ever need to use a specific set of math and most of it is done for them in matlab, plus now they can do simulations of every kind using software someone else wrote.

no, engineering belongs to hardware

Attached: 1504571178954.gif (350x263, 1.66M)

Any actual software engineers got a routine green text?

It could be but it isn't. Computer science doesn't have a standard method for abstraction that actual works like other fields of engineering do. It's all bullshit like object oriented programming. Which basically means anything a programmer wants it to be.

>go to work
>Get assigned some bugwork or adding some features
>work on it
>if I'm stuck ask one of the many people at the office
>keep working
>go home

It's a craft. Think of carpentry, the variance in skill and scope of what you can build within that discipline is massive. Same goes for codezing.

Are you nonstop working at developing, or are there times you just space out / dick around?
Are there times you end up not writing anything all day?

It's unironically the latter. Not to shit on any code monkeys here, but in a world of "sales associate" and "sanitation engineer," titles mean nothing.

You can put all of engineering disciplines on spectrum of how iterative the development process is. With software it is extremely iterative, mistakes can be fixed. Building a bridge or a space ship is at the other end, there can't be any mistakes. I think this is what makes software engineering look so shoddy in comparison.
Also there is less tradition and accepted principles so everyone is just winging it which makes it look unprofessional.

It's disgusting how much systems are held together by duct tape and shiny paint. If every piece of legacy software on the planet deleted itself right now and we had to start from scratch, the world would be a better place.

Then by that extension electrical and computer engineering are also shoddy looking and civil is one of a higher echelon lol

I'm currently doing SE after finishing Mechanical eng. It's not as hard but it's also lacking the ethical side of engineering. The whole "lol no such thing as bugless software fucking up and killing people once in a while is normal xd :^)" mentality isn't helping either.

It's not engineering until the industry gets their head out of their asses.

Who has this mentality? People I know form Lockheed Martin / ASRC Federal say that they have an ungodly comprehensive logging system for their software so they know exactly whose ass to fry when AEGIS shoots down a tugboat.

Obviously it depends on what you're working on tard
Be an SE for a middle guidance system is different than being an SE for Snapchat

No shit, nigger, but your premise was that of life and death, not snapchat.

>If every piece of legacy software on the planet deleted itself right now and we had to start from scratch, the world would be a better place.
Your new and shiny software would be full of another mistakes.

Without question. Mistakes are unavoidable, the problem are mistakes obfuscated in decades of antiquated and esoteric techniques and practices.

build a bridge:
>coordinate architects and draftsmen
>allocate funds for construction
>file and apply for permits
>purchase land
>coordinate construction firms and wait for weather to be workable
>you may now begin construction.
>any changes made beyond this point are incredibly costly in material and man hours
write software:
>give vague specs to code monkeys
>that's it, really. If there are any changes made beyond this point they're only expensive in man hours

And then that new software that you just made becomes legacy 5 years from now

Pls respond

because potential error which require changes cant cause expenses?
especially if you only give vague requirements to code monkeys, thats why outsourcing didnt work out

Many legacy systems were never designed to be extended as heavily as they are needed to. We now better understand what to expect in these respects, and therefore while legacy code becomes legacy code-- it is still not an abominable mess.

>SE for Snapchat
lol

god it must be nice to have a vagina and brown skin.

>go to work
>shitpost for a few hours
>contemplate killing myself and/or quitting
>go out to lunch
>more shitposting
>boss checks up on me
>tell them "it's not done yet because [insert today's excuse here]"
>work for about 30 minutes
>give up when it gets even mildly difficult and shitpost for the last 30 minutes
>leave early

>engineering
>about respect

Attached: what miku.gif (230x230, 1.54M)

Yeah imagine all the BWC you can get.

Not him but I basically have the same schedule. Most of the time I spend 50% dicking around on my phone. My work's not difficult so I have to space it out so I don't spend days with nothing to do.

meme. Back in the day you should be an electrical engineer to program, now every soyboy can program, without knowing shit about computah