AMD's somewhat official response to GPP

AMD's somewhat official response to GPP

Attached: 9d28d8a8a2.png (816x548, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gaming.radeon.com/en/radeon-a-gamers-choice/
videocardz.com/newz/asus-announces-arez-radeon-graphics-series
asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-Republic-of-Gamers-Products/
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/04/17/amd-attacks-nvidia-geforce-partner-program-in-new-blog/#2b0957a272e8
hardocp.com/article/2018/03/07/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice
m.esl-one.com/csgo/cologne-2016/news/asus-and-intel-join-the-esl-one-cologne-2016-sponsor-lineup/
wccftech.com/amd-response-to-nvidias-gpp/
wccftech.com/amds-secret-radeon-project-zen-to-boost-gpu-clocks-efficiency-in-2018-navi-in-2019-beyond/
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=OAclArZrU1E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I kinda want to prove a point to myself.
So I'm deliberatly abstaining from any commentary on value or judgement.

It's not an official response per se, it's a marketing slide where they address the issue implicitly.

Attached: c861be2617.png (804x779, 186K)

sauce: gaming.radeon.com/en/radeon-a-gamers-choice/

taking pic related as permission to 100% the text.

Attached: a060b01e86.png (789x56, 2K)

First official action from one of the AIB's
videocardz.com/newz/asus-announces-arez-radeon-graphics-series

Attached: ASUS-AREZ-1000x776.jpg (1000x776, 126K)

Empty promises

How about you get PS drivers working and fix your openCL implementation and then act like you care

unless you're arguing over the semantics of what AMD defines as high performance graphics cards, there's not a single promise there. All of those bullet points are policies which were initiated a long time ago. Even before RTG.

rumor:
Asus redirects ROG graphics cards to the main site now
asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-Republic-of-Gamers-Products/

supposedly they gonna ditch all gpu's under the ROG brand. Strix for nvidia, Arez for AMD. Ironically, they're still gonna put the same strix heatsink on the AMD gpu. That was one thing I wish they would stop doing.

>there are still people even now that doubt the HardOCP article
I swear to Christ some people would just stand in the middle of the tracks and stare at the train without even realizing they were about to be run over.

What is this exactly, what is gpp? Sorry I have been away for a while

geforce partner program
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/04/17/amd-attacks-nvidia-geforce-partner-program-in-new-blog/#2b0957a272e8

What are MSI and Gigabyte going to do?

bend over and take it real gud.

I knew this was going to happen.

In other words NOTHING happened.

>nvidia wants companies to do this because they think it will lead to nothing happening

Attached: 1486613122301.jpg (1000x800, 40K)

AMD is ruining the industry by releasing half-assed attempts at rivaling Nvidia

>AMD promises
Mantle, vulkan, dx12. hbm. freesync. rocm. open source ray tracing. and some really nice ones that they had to abandon because there was simply no adoption, like hsa.

>Nvidia promises
you next gpu gonna cost 1.5k. believe us. and you'll want 3 of them to use our new 250 dollar interconnect -- each, you gonna 2 goyim. It's 3% faster than anything you've ever seen -- on twimtp titles. And expect gsync 3.0, even better and more expensive, we revised the contracts and now the royalties are only 80% of the total cost for displays using them. Repeat: the more you spend the more you save!

>Nvidia buys out exclusivity to high end """branding""" and """naming shemes""
>Manufacturers say "ok lol" sell them ROG and AOURUS and then create new high end branding schemes for AMD like Arez and whatever the fuck MSI will come up with

The only difference is that there's a different cool name on the same high end cards for AMD

Attached: 1501975319285.gif (342x342, 501K)

it started with this article:
hardocp.com/article/2018/03/07/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice

paywall, adblocked.

>Arez Strix
>Nvidia Strix
that doesn't check out. Replying to myself.

I don't really understand what all the controversy is about. Nvidia not wanting their products lumped under the same sub-brands of each vendor with AMD is a reasonable position. It's not like they're forcing them to stop making AMD GPUs.

I'm replying to you replying to yourself.

You are fucking dumb, ROG is a long time name for Esport sponsors.

Even most of my customers doesn't even know what asus is when they mention "Gaming PC"
They only said "Give me ROG gaming laptop/PC"

Nvidia GPP was not about taking brand name is about taking a POPULAR and KNOWN brand name.

Forgot my link
m.esl-one.com/csgo/cologne-2016/news/asus-and-intel-join-the-esl-one-cologne-2016-sponsor-lineup/
Esport is getting big, even Mercedes-Benz is joining in.

But what the fuck does Jow Forums know about this market, they only know shit like number crunching.

>referring to things they've already delivered on
>"empty promises"

don't be retarded

they are essentially forcing AMD's separation from every major esports brand

this is monopolism in its purest form and I'm honestly surprised that it's even legal

>Jow Forums memes that AMD is better than Nvidia for Linux
>have a Vega GPU
>still not well supported using Linux 4.15, didn't even work before that
>can't undervolt without using some shady mining software, Vega runs like shit without heavily undervolting. Have to crank up fanspeed to jetplane levels
>Freesync dooesn't work despite AMD saying it does now, it works flawlessly on Windows
>Wine is a complete trainwreck, almost no games work out of the box on ATI/AMD
>Linux games run like shit, AMD usually isn't supported, only Nvidia
Jesus fuck good thing I still have mhy old GTX 980 for Linux. No matter how much Jow Forums lies it's plain to see for anyone who uses both brands that Nvidia still rapes AMD in Linux usability and performance. Sure the drivers are proprietary but at least it fucking works.

That's because you have no foresight at all.
Consider the average consumer. Not you. The average one.
The average consumer is minimally informed at best. He doesn't go to dedicated computer hardware sites or boards. Almost everything he knows he learned from advertisements or sponsored content.
Average-san wants to upgrade his computer, and goes to newegg or amazon or whatever. He looks at the graphics cards in the price he wants and sees two options.
Asus Strix GTX 1070
Arez Strix Vega 56
He knows about Asus. He knows about RoG and Strix. But what is this "Arez" thing? It looks really similar, and it's about the same price, but the branding is slightly different. Oh, this must be a Chinese knock-off or something. So he clicks on the 1070 (he doesn't want to pay the same for an inferior product after all) and goes on with his day.
And if it has the same company branding?
Well the Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 has AORUS branding and "gaming" related words plastered all over the box, and the Gigabyte Vega 56 doesn't, so the 1070 must be the one you get to play videogames with.
>b-but what those retards do doesn't affect me!
But it does.
The vast majority of consumers are more like the guy above than they are you, and they control far more money than you ever could. This generation that doesn't matter. But next generation, after AMDs sales slip they won't have as much money to develop their next GPU. So the design suffers, a worse product is released, and sales slip even further.
It happens year after year and eventually the only company around selling high or even mid-tier GPUs is Nvidia.
How much do you think you'll have to pay? Remember, there is no competitor to buy from if you aren't willing to shell out for the Nvidia GPU now. They can charge anything they want and there would be literally nothing you could do other than go without a dedicated GPU entirely.
Honestly the fact that this isn't immediately obvious to you should be concerning.

the problem with nvidia is they just do not care about the ecosystem. Sure they deliver working drivers with features but then DE devs have to patch workarounds because of high gpu usage on everything that touches opengl or vsync with nvidia hardware. I still own nvidia but amd should be commended for their recent contributions to the radeon/mesa.

someone in a build thread argued that AMD on linux is fine now kek

>talking sense on Jow Forums
mods etc

Maybe older AMD GPUS work a little better, I just know my experiences with Vega have been a nightmare. And this is on Arch, I can't imagine what a trainwreck it is on something slower like Debian or Ubuntu.

werks4me

still has Strix brand name.
still has gaming written on the box.

only new thing is the lack of ROG sticker.

MSI, Gigabyte and Asus should've game-theory-ed Nvidia. The problem with this was that if only one of them joined, the other 2 would lose. If all 3 didn't join, then it would've backfired at Nvidia. The last scenario is the one we all wanted, but I doubt there were even some high level talks between those 3 competitors on what to do, they most likely signed in promptly hoping the other 2 would do something stupid.

Attached: SD9R4Enuw6AkJ1QBo6X-QsdVQhZi2CfcdE0ylsANOKk.jpg (960x819, 134K)

old version.

Attached: 14-126-232-V06.jpg (1280x960, 96K)

GPP is good for consumers, only AYYMDPOORFAGS garbage thinks otherwise

No one is buying AYYMD HOUSEFIRES garbage when it's underperforming, extremely high power consumption, very high heat output and overpriced because of miners

>That big ass Arez name making it like a Chinese knockoff of ROG box.
>Asus logo is so small and grey out making it hard to see by average joe so most people only know them by ROG sign.
LMAO

Attached: asus-north-america-cmo-vivian-lien-introduces-the-newest-mini-itx-motherboard-rog-ma-1-640x427-c[1]. (640x427, 49K)

And it's quite obvious that anyone else was relatively irrelevant in the GPP debacle. What reminds me, given EVGA, Zotac, and some others were signed in by default that temporary alliance in order to boycott the new agreements would never fly. especially after considering mid-sized players such as Galax being unscrutable wildcards in all of this. Or some random china exclusive brands which we don't even know the names in the west. So, retracting, I don't think there ever was a way out. An all encompassing makeshift alliance, including nvidia exclusive brands, was simply impossible.

>RX
>Arr Ex
>Ar Ez
>Arez
Fucking lazy chink fucks.

>Asus logo is smaller on the new box.

Attached: 1259236944985.jpg (600x600, 88K)

I missed the Asus logo detail.
They did decrease the font size. Well spotted.

When you're resigned yourself to play second fiddle for all eternity, then yea, you'd put out a statement like this.

Attached: 1389068220023.png (778x1068, 48K)

>Arez name making it like a Chinese knockoff of ROG box
Chinese knockoffs never look that well put together...

RuTor, 1337.to, kat.cc, also tpb is up again

I'm replying to you replying to him replying to himself.

>paywall, adblocked.
Works fine here. Have you tried not being a retard?

>the simple solution is for partners to announce new, AMD-exclusive brands as well. This is logical.

That wasn't fucking logical, it was inevitable.
Fucking tech press fuckers.

Attached: 1492631134.png (1190x294, 90K)

currytech
>More specifically, they are denied high-effort engineering engagements, early tech engagement, launch partner status, game bundling, sales rebate programs, social media and PR support, marketing reports, and even GPU supply/allocation.
>NVIDIA has publicly denied these allegations.
>There have been several major developments over the following weeks after the story originally broke, and you can read all about them here. Starting with Gigabyte & MSI removing AMD products from their roster of gaming products, to gamers calling for a boycott of NVIDIA and its GPP partners, HP & Dell refusing to join the program, Intel considering legal action against NVIDIA and finally the FTC’s and EU Commission’s acknowledgement of consumer complaints and calls for an investigation of the GPP.
(...)
this was nice though
>NVIDIA has claimed that the GeForce Partner Program is “transparent” and “great” for gamers. All the while, evidence pointing to the contrary kept mounting by the week. The company refused to answer some of the most basic questions about the GeForce Partner Program, like who exactly are those partners that have signed up, what they stand to gain rather than lose by doing so, and what the program actually offers to gamers that does not already exist.

sauce
wccftech.com/amd-response-to-nvidias-gpp/

>NVIDIA has claimed that the GeForce Partner Program is “transparent” and “great” for gamers
> The company refused to answer some of the most basic questions about the GeForce Partner Program

Attached: too_lewd.jpg (520x261, 20K)

the irony of defending a paywall all while advocating in favor of AMD due to being pro-consumer

You're right. It's not logical at all. AMD with its measly marketshare isn't worth the marketing. Brand exclusivity for Nvidia makes both the brand and Nvidia's brand much stronger, the same way EVGA is considered the best GPU brand while Sapphire is a competitor to the likes of ASUS and XFX (which Jow ForumsAMD unironically calls it a good brand)

>what they stand to gain rather than lose by doing so,
What? This was already explained in the original hard article that exposed GPP. They get funds for marketing and product design or w/e. It's straight out of Intel's playbook post-anti-competitive lawsuit.

excerpt from Forbes, already cited here.
>In this paragraph Herkelman is carpet bombing many aspects of Nvidia's business. Primarily G-Sync monitors, which cost considerably more than their FreeSync counterparts because of closed standards and proprietary modules that must be installed in the G-Sync monitors. There's no debate here: Nvidia did it first, but AMD has won the variable refresh rate game with open standards, HDR support, cheaper prices and even console adoption.
>It's also a jab at Nvidia GameWorks, the company's library of admittedly fantastic graphics technologies that, more often than not, penalize gamers who aren't running GeForce cards.While not mentioned by name, this is a very transparent attack on Nvidia's not-so-transparent program, which allegedly pressures board partners into joining by promising marketing funds, extended promotional support and premium allocation of GPUs -- and revokes them for non-partners. I'll remind my readers that none of that is confirmed, but until Nvidia informs their community which partners are on board, and proves that these allegations are false, they're doing more damage than good to their reputation.
>To put it another way, show a modicum of transparency, which is a pillar the GPP is supposedly built upon.

What's ironic is that who got free press out of this was AMD after all.
Most big sites have some piece on GPP and/or Asus brand repositioning, somewhat in favor of AMD.
I wonder if AMD strategically left the sotry begin to fade out to rekindle it back up again right before the press would be going to pay very close attention to them for the Ryzen launch. That marketing leadership change might have been pretty good after all.

Not only this but their drivers are garbage.

NVIDIA has huge stuttering issues

Reeeee

AMD pls release a nice gpu so i dont have to buy fucking NVIDIA when i upgrade my pc

Attached: highcat.jpg (675x1200, 137K)

>NVIDIA has huge stuttering issues
It's a Windows (exclusive) issue. And the most common case is caused by a hardware monitor. Not sure why Windows can't handle it but it is what it is. Don't play games with a HW monitor open

>vulkan api + freesync
O______________O

Windows 10 fall creators update exclusive it's bullshit

here a rez pls1
[spoiler]have blue gem / ygg - trade[/spoiler]

>Wait for 'Project Zen'
wccftech.com/amds-secret-radeon-project-zen-to-boost-gpu-clocks-efficiency-in-2018-navi-in-2019-beyond/

I'm replying to you replying to me replying to him replying to himself.

i'll be interested once amd actually releases good cards for the same/less price than nvidia's at the same launch cycle

They're going full SJW with the video

Good
Gcn has aged like milk

>AMD new brand is FREEDOM
>AMD Freedom graphics cards will have a bald eagle

Attached: 60329071-720px.jpg (720x540, 22K)

It would be better than their cringy Radeon Rebel ads. Who the hell though communist imagery was a good marketing idea for gaming graphics cards?

>Who the hell though communist imagery was a good marketing idea for gaming graphics cards?
Because they overestimated burgers' level of comprehension. That symbolism should evoke the likes of eastern european emancipation FROM communist or any other sort of semi totalitarian dictatorships. What was meant as subversion imagery against the tyrannical system became, oh, it's some gommie shit (((for you))).

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=OAclArZrU1E

vid was nice.

Attached: 84c9896d10.png (1375x734, 982K)

they live vibes.

Attached: 51af05f470.png (1371x615, 544K)

Attached: zFrVfjIl.jpg (640x320, 32K)