/wt/ Watch Thread, Post Watches That Have Been To Space Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of Space Horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, superlative solar windyknob, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtu.be/nQ9_bOIj49s

>Thread theme (also unironically)
:youtu.be/QeJODSjIbT8

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread:

Attached: seiko-spring-drive-spacewalk-watch.jpg (570x408, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

omegawatches.com/en-us/accessories/nato-straps/catalog
mybulova.com/forums/bulova-accutron-apollo-mission-timer-4-grabs-model-te-12
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: Richard-Garriot-wearing-Seiko-Spring-Drive-Spacewalk-watches-in-ISS-300x225.jpg (300x225, 28K)

How about one which is currently on the moon?

Attached: 1473294784688.webm (852x480, 2.72M)

First for OP is a disaster, but least the OP isn't a shitpost.

Attached: vacheron-constantin-patrimony-small-seconds-01.jpg (960x640, 94K)

>How about one which is currently on the moon?
wat

The lunar lander used an accutron 214 as (one of? I forget) the instrument clocks.

>The lunar lander used an accutron 214 as (one of? I forget) the instrument clocks.
Just a wristwatch? Are you sure?

No, not just a wristwatch, the movement was used for the clock.

OMEGA just started selling their NATOs on their site.

Overpriced obv, but I currently own an Omega NATO that came with my speedy and its the highest quality NATO I have ever owned.

Might get another desu

omegawatches.com/en-us/accessories/nato-straps/catalog

I remember reading a story about how NASA spent millions of dollars developing a watch so that US astronauts could tell the time whilst upside down, and the Russians just used a cheap plastic sundial.

>omegawatches.com/en-us/accessories/nato-straps/catalog

$160 Moon Watch NATOs :^)

Attached: bulova_apollo_11_640ubxk.jpg (640x480, 37K)

Lol $200 for a piece of Nylon

holy shit that is awesome, I thought you were fucking with me

can you buy a desk clock of this?

>wristwatch copy of this dial and hands when

I've only found one site from 5 years ago with a listing with a timer like that. They're basically unobtanium nowadays.

mybulova.com/forums/bulova-accutron-apollo-mission-timer-4-grabs-model-te-12

I don't understand. Why would anyone buy one of these? Is the 160 for the official omega clasp? Furthermore, none of them have any NASA branding, which would be the real reason anyone would want one....

What's wrong with these people...?

Attached: P2140115.jpg (4288x3216, 3.07M)

Nice.
Linking to the other post for retards and a bonus (You) for you.

If it was in the LM it impacted the lunar surface going 5,000 mph and is vapor now

Unrelated note, do they make a PO without the helium valve?

>What's wrong with these people...?
That's what happens when a company views their customers as suckers to be grabbed by their ankles, turned over, and shaken down for every possible penny.

shocker of G

Attached: DSC_1342.jpg (1400x933, 871K)

Someday..

Attached: landmaster.jpg (480x640, 59K)

I'm probably just forgetting the details to be honest. After a bit of reading apparently they were used as the clocks/timers for ALSEP (along with a number of satellites at the time).

I have no idea. From what I remember, all the 300m Seamasters have helium valves, and the last time I checked, the Planet Oceans are 600m and are also equipped with them. This includes all chronographs as well in these series.

Yeah...but customers still have to buy it. I can understand Omega doing the wallet/leather thing, and bracelets, belts, and other assorted jewelry. But a Nato Strap....man...

Attached: To the end....jpg (1280x960, 175K)

>Someday..
What is the real thickness of this watch? Seiko says it's 1mm thicker than an SKX

that cannot be true, I have read reviews saying it's like 17.5mm thiccc

Attached: IMG_2490.jpg (640x480, 50K)

SEIKO TUNA IS THE UGLIEST WATCH EVER CREATED

Attached: getfitwithnatasha__28763969_164117080852765_222587698022449152_n.jpg (1080x1080, 202K)

If your watch is too fat to fit under your shirt then you should KYS

Attached: snake.gif (270x188, 1.78M)

THINN!

Seiko's website says 14.2mm

Plus due to it being titanium it weighs less than a Seiko Turtle.

>SEIKO TUNA IS THE UGLIEST WATCH EVER CREATED
(You)

Attached: e.jpg (1079x586, 385K)

I know, I am saying that is clearly wrong. I have seen people review them say they are at least 3mm thicker than that

Attached: 20121212_150224.jpg (1024x768, 98K)

I don't know about the ugliest, but it's definitely not pretty. Most divers are kind of ugly but I still like them, there's a certain appeal to them.

is that a seiko invicta?

Attached: IMG_6709.jpg (1600x1200, 262K)

(me) ?

Attached: picE34T6x.jpg (896x504, 73K)

I just love how its a "fuck you" watch.
>we can go deeper and not have a fancy bullshit valve

>Blue dial
>Moon phase
>2k~

?

I really don't have a reason to think they are wrong. The perception isn't always an accurate to the specs. I have a Bullhead that is also about 14mm or so thick. But it like the Landmaster has a curve to the back that really makes it sit comfy on the wrist.

Attached: thick.jpg (1292x1394, 716K)

>I really don't have a reason to think they are wrong.
it looks thick as balls to me, and I have read people say it's 17 when they get it

Depends where you measure it from. The top part might be taller but that is no bother as it will hug your wrist. The middle is probably 14.2mm like seiko says.

Attached: ZVyPZP9.jpg (1024x714, 148K)

SEIKOS ARE UGLY AS FUCK

SEIKO PRICES ARE GOING UP FOR NO REASON

Thank you for your opinion

THICC

nigger that is thick as shit

>Depends where you measure it from.
the thickest part user

also

dats some shiny as fuck titanium, enjoy ur scratches

what would you choose as your pre-divorce self esteem watch?

I personally don't mind scratches on my more sporty genre watches. I don't really baby my watches.

A seems to be about their width.
B would be way longer.
C seems to be about the width the +3mm people are saying.
D seems to be about the same as A but is a touch longer, harder to measure, and not likely the width they use.

Attached: ok.jpg (863x558, 195K)

Christ, that looks like absolute fucking dogshit.

>what would you choose as your pre-divorce self esteem watch?
An SSG001 with matching gold eagle

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 5.08.53 PM.png (1290x964, 2.28M)

nah

Attached: Bullhead_Leather_Alp.jpg (1859x1372, 1.99M)

Good drawing user, I think C is a valid answer and could be an issue if someone had 9 inch wrists due to large bone structure and the watch curved down before their wrist did

not saying I know anyone like that

Attached: 1523712405283.jpg (4032x3024, 2.41M)

rep of this watch when

>why does it have to be $50,000 used

Attached: seiko_springdrive_spacewalk.jpg (470x692, 55K)

Shit man, that's just a really bad case design. The Sumo is 13.5 and fits exceedingly better on the wrist.

>70's meme where every product designer on Earth decided that circles were bad

Nah, it's actually bad. The only reason you like it is because it evokes a false nostalgia about a time you don't even remember.

Attached: Austin_Allegro_Interior_with_Quartic_steering_wheel.jpg (1280x960, 1.43M)

There are actually some Seiko 5's that have a similar vibe with the 12 crown

Attached: seiko_ssa167j.jpg (750x810, 138K)

Who said /wt/ was full of autists. Not me, no sir ...

Whose fucking hand is that? Andre the Giant?

Looks comfy, would drive wearing bullhead chrono/10.

It's windyknob aka Solarman aka Shrek aka mememan.

What did they mean by this?

Posting my replica Tudor Black Bay just in case you guys forgot I had one.

Attached: IMG_5073.jpg (3264x2448, 1.12M)

that's windyknob guy aka shrek, he's probably on about the landmaster because it's 47mm

I mean you are not wrong I do like collecting vintage stuff.

holy fuck bros its doctor Manhattan and the windy knob is the true way.

Post replica Tudor Black Bays.

Attached: IMG_5075.jpg (3264x2448, 1.61M)

It was a pretty shit speed sketch, I'm not going to spend 5ime drawing shot for Jow Forums.
I agree that the spec width isn't the thickest part but I also think the +3mm people are measuring the total width not the thickest section of the watch.
Gets the point across with no effort.

It's a glandular problem.

Ok.

Attached: IMG_5077.jpg (3264x2448, 1.49M)

I wasn't saying it was a shitty drawing, I was saying it was pretty good unironically. I was wondering why i was finding such differences in it's width. I would need to try one on to see if the curve will fit to my wrist and not just sit on top of it like a table.

Yes I am quite large

Why the fuck does the battery in my tissot watch keep dying after less than a year? Should I just replace it myself? I get watch experts telling me to let a professional to do it but it costs like $65 every time.

Maybe buy a mechanical watch you fucking faggot.

>Tissot
>quartz
I think that might be the problem

Attached: 9BF21CEA-0D72-42B9-818A-591DC9598BAF.jpg (4032x3024, 2.87M)

Is that your AA meeting?

Attached: smugboi.jpg (750x925, 307K)

>seiko
Please, just stop posting.

It's like someone going on /o/ and posting their 2003 Ford Focus.

You're just wasting everyones time.

Please stop.

ha

Attached: 3FDC7645-5121-4322-8812-FCA69329B0F7.jpg (1024x768, 89K)

Post your Patek collection brah

>search for Seiko Actus on eBay
>some guy is selling polished/refurbished Actuses for $1,000 each
>same watches on Yahoo Auctions are selling for sub $100-- their actual value
What is this clown doing? Just hoping if he lists a bunch of watches at 20x their actual price he'll fool a few morons?

It isn't about the expense, it's just about the actual interest. Seiko is like a bucket of grey paint, or a bowl of unflavoured porridge, or a dusty old mattress. None of these things are worth commenting on, any normal human being would be utterly devoid of interest in any of these things.

Cheap cars can be interesting. There are a billion cars for the price of a 2003 Ford Focus that are interesting and would warrant a lengthy discussion.

A Seiko is just a big fat nothing.

It sounds to me like you may want to consider killing yourself, and soon. I'd recommend the helium exit bag option if possible, it will cause you only a minimum amount of pain but still stop you permanently from posting here and ruining the general for everyone else.

Welp, eBay only charges when you've actually sold one so there's no real cost in listing like that and hoping someone takes the bait

instead of being ashamed that you can't buy your girlfriend a decent watch you post pictures of her wearing a soyko?

Attached: 508C18D0-9939-40C3-95AB-467B4ED4E069.jpg (2048x1536, 841K)

Attached: 20170915_205054-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 2.33M)

Why waste your breath getting bothered about people liking what you don't like? Post your collection or some watches you like and start a conversation on that.

that's just some random photo from internets brah

To expand on your Ford comparison.
You are saying all Ford's are shit because they have some low end shit cars. You are saying that the Ford GT is shit because the Ford focus tarnished the Ford name.
Kill yourself.

No, this was a gift from years ago. Fuck off.

So basically I just have to live with this?

is it running through batteries faster than it used to? I guess you could try to have it serviced.

This cracks me up. In a ton of threads like this people come and complain rather than try start a conversation on something they are interested in.

>Watches That Have Been To Space Edition

This is THE first model of watch ever in space. Say something nice about her.

Attached: IMG_20180417_205127.jpg (4640x3480, 3.34M)

Yeah initially it was pretty good, batteries would last a couple of years. Now it feels like 6 months.

No.

You are completely retarded.

I'm saying the Ford Focus is shit because it's a Ford Focus. It's a boring as fuck econobox designed in the late 90s so middle-aged people could transport their kids to and from school in relative safety while maintaining 35MPG. There's absolutely nothing interesting about that. Meanwhile, the Ford GT has a 5.4 supercharged V8, if that isn't enough to sell someone on it, its heritage is being the first non-European car to win Le Mans. It's interesting and exciting.

Every Seiko is a bag of shit, they are all function above form and utterly tasteless. They are the equivalent of turning up to a funeral wearing shorts and flip flops because that's what is most convenient to wear. There's absolutely nothing interesting, unique, dynamic, vibrant, creative or hopeful about any aspect of any Seiko watch, minus the Orient sub-brand of course.

Around the 17mm mark. It's thiccccccccccc. But wears smaller than expected since the watch is sloped and the lugs are curved down.

Feels like a damn toy though. Lighter than one of my old GSes.

how much would one from that era just like that cost now? Like one that could have gone into space with him had it been randomly picked from the line instead of that one

>Ford can have nice things
>Seiko cannot have nice things
ok

Attached: Seiko 6138-3005.jpg (1920x2560, 1.7M)

It's likely the wrong type of battery for the watch or there's a fault in the movement causing it to drain too quickly.

>it's a seiko copy of a speedmaster with yellow dials
>that means it's nice

Attached: fucking retard (2).jpg (333x378, 23K)