What's the most used desktop GNU/Linux distribution (not counting Chrome OS)?

What's the most used desktop GNU/Linux distribution (not counting Chrome OS)?

Is it Ubuntu? Debian? RHEL? Fedora?

I've been trying to find some info but most of what I have found are not concrete analytics or surveys about the market share of each distro and its users.

Note: most used distro =/= best distro

Attached: 1488707808448.png (602x500, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-linux/all/all
w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux
linuxquestions.org/questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/desktop-environment-of-the-year-4175596299/
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=135165#p657736
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have no evidence but I assume Ubuntu

Ubuntu by far. It's babbys first distro

Check distrowatch.

why is tux shilling ubuntu? he is supposed to love all distros equally

>Check distrowatch.
That's just web page hits.

I guess its either Ubuntu (counting desktops) or RHEL/CentOS (servers, the real Linux use case).

w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-linux/all/all
w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux

Ubuntu seems to be the biggest when it comes to web servers with Debian being second and CentOS being third.

Even if you can't get a specific percentage of users for each distro, I'm pretty sure that Debian-based distros would have the biggest share if you combine the number of users who use Ubuntu (+ flavors), Debian and Mint.

Red Hat derivatives like Fedora and CentOS might be second.

Pretty sure it's still Ubuntu and it will continue to be for the foreseeable future. RHEL and Fedora are the contenders trying to take Ubuntu's throne.

For the biggest mystery is the user share of Desktop Environments. Could Gnome still be #1 like it was in the Gnome 2 times? Or did KDE took its place during the Gnome 3 fiasco?

yeah, ubutnu
>look up any vps
>it offers ubuntu from the get go
iirc aws did this too

Ubuntu in the real world.

Arch in Jow Forums's heart.

Do they majority of servers run ubuntu? If so, that.

>desktop
ubuntu,ubuntu everywhere
>server
ubuntu/debian/centos

Google offers Chrome as a installer only for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE.
Steam has it's own official installer tailored mainly for Ubuntu.
Not saying that both are "good" or that I endorse them but it says a lot about how some companies only find it worthwhile to bring software support to only the big players of the Linux world.

It's Ubuntu. There's a reason why most big software developers make their software compatible with Ubuntu first before other distros and that's because they're trying to reach the biggest number of users as possible in this niche market.

Gnome is still the most used. It's the default in Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, CentOS, SUSE and it will soon be in Ubuntu's latest LTS.

nah, GNOME isn't the most popular, not the second most popular either.
linuxquestions.org/questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/desktop-environment-of-the-year-4175596299/
everyone hates eeew gnome

I didn't say that Gnome was the best or most popular, but that it was the most used (has the biggest user share).
I personally prefer KDE and dislike Gnome but there's a reason why most distros have it as the default DE including Ubuntu which is considered the biggest distro when it comes to the number of users.

how do you know he has feelings.

because he is a penguin

Ubuntu's default DE is the most popular among casuals and people who just need a DE for work. I hope they move to Budgie in the future, desu.

KDE, XFCE, WMs are the most popular among people who tinker and might actually develop something for Linux.

ok

Attached: DebianFamilyTree1210.jpg (600x1187, 653K)

So much cancer...

So is there a reason to use anything but Debian? (Ignoring the other trees)

>things that should be nuked
Imagine a world where fedora didn't have to deal with these waste peddlers.

Debian is the best Debian-based distro

apt-get is shit

>2018
>using 'apt-get' instead of 'apt'

forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=135165#p657736

Basically Ubuntu.