/wt/ Watch Thread, Casio aq239 finishing edition

This thread is about the appreciation of Space Horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, superlative solar windyknob, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtu.be/nQ9_bOIj49s

>Thread theme (also unironically)
:youtu.be/QeJODSjIbT8

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread:

Attached: 116.jpg (4160x3120, 2.94M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tbBcxOcoZ_4
ebay.com/itm/282632160946
hodinkee.com/articles/five-best-starter-watches-of-2018
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 123.jpg (2000x1500, 624K)

Were the Seiko 5 actus watches ever sold in the US? How are they compared to modern Seiko 5s?

Overall, i'm satisfied.

Attached: 114.jpg (1333x1000, 463K)

I was wearing my tudor last night (I am a teenage girl btw) and a man broke into my house with a big mole on his head and pinned me down and raped me : (

I was crying as he came inside me but I heard him say:

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXDEEEEEPSEA*UGGG!*TUDORBLACKBAYISAPOORMANSSUBMARINER!

i figured you guys might know who it was, I have to have an abortion next week, help me bring this guy to justice please

Is this a hand or an uncircumsized penis

wristlets will literally never learn

youtube.com/watch?v=tbBcxOcoZ_4

Mako II got here this morning.

Attached: 30EC71CA-7288-4385-9F8E-AA5D0C089A57.jpg (2981x3576, 2.42M)

Wait what

Attached: spesstime.png (1035x800, 234K)

What kind of strap is this? Looks pretty cool.

Geckota Perlon. I thought it would look good with the blue dial.

I have never seen one go for under $50,000

they were $22,000 brand new and seiko only made 100 of them. they are basically unobtanium and go for nearly 3x their original price if you can find one

IMO it's basically just mean to make a space watch like that when nobody can have one

Whom did I trigger with this watch kek.
I know it's a meme etc, but I just wanted to show it.

Attached: 124.jpg (1500x2000, 560K)

>I have never seen one go for under $50,000
They actually sell for those prices? That's crazy.
In what way are they special apart from the design? There has to be something I'm missing.

Vintage Casio Pulsecheck in working condition for 25€. Have seen these go for around 150€ on eBay. Should I give it a try or not worth it?

Attached: 324F42CE-C2B9-4FC0-8A34-C194394551EA.png (750x1334, 681K)

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.61M)

Why did you write down the date when you could have just displayed it on the watch?

Attached: C76829D2-91B7-4710-9D69-F9E0E5BE73F1.jpg (640x830, 125K)

If it floats your boat, sure.
You can probably sell it for profit later anyways

If there's nothing wrong with it and you like it, that seems like a good buy.

Actually idk.
Does the band / case gold tone fade soon?

I don’t know yet. I only wear it in the restroom.

I can live with the gold tone, but the version with the numbers satisfies my autism way better than the lines.
Just look at it, the way the numbers are on the dial, thats fucking tasty.

i got mine before the AQ meme hit the threads. Was suprised to see it posted here. Its a lovely little watch and became one of my fav DD watches. Pic is from the net, my phone cant do a better one rn.

Attached: AQ-230A-7BHDF-main.jpg (1000x1000, 91K)

People want things that have gone into space or are official space equipment. Richfags will pay stupid prices for almost any space hardware. This is an actual watch designed specifically to be worn on the outside of a spacesuit during EVAs. So it checks a lot of boxes. It's space hardware a richfag can buy not only own and keep on a shelf but actually walk around with all day without looking insane. It's a limited edition watch so watch collectors want it. And it's interesting from a design perspective.

remember only 100 were ever made, and my guess is 25-50 of those went to seiko execs or friends of the company. That means only a handful were ever on the market for a normalfag to even have the opportunity to purchase

I am not really into digital watches and I don’t actually need to check my pulse but the little jew inside me is screaming at me to buy it and resell it for 4 times it’s price.

Yeah you can sell it for 4 times the price, but it might take some time. These appeal only to a very limited audience.

I mean, that's a legitimate reason to buy it too, but that's not as fun.

Its the same plated plastic that casio uses on some of its full digital models, like the f91w in silver, gold. I think they made the plating sturdy enough not to fade quick.

>This is an actual watch designed specifically to be worn on the outside of a spacesuit during EVAs
Neat. Are there articles on it or something? I'll look for it later, but I'd like to read what goes into making a watch specifically for going outside in space.
I doubt anything I read will make me think it's worth $50k though, but as you said, there are people with a lot of money to throw around.

Anyone? I’m thinking of buying one off of yahoo Japan.

Personal preference I suppose.
The numbers are placed well, but I just prefer simpler lines.

It is a comfy watch, really light on the wrist.

What are some of the best watches designed to withstand lengthy bathroom breaks?

Will seriously consider it. Getting profit on shitters to buy my shitters is one of my main hobbies.
What about this watch the same seller is buying? He is asking good money for this one... ripley’s watch? Want that supposed to be the giugiaro’s edition? Is it a good price for this one, you Casio knowers?

Attached: 489DC082-5C85-4A1E-A93F-224B62D74FE6.png (750x1334, 670K)

I have no idea, but I would get a cactus anyway.
Just be ready to service it.

Stay clear from this one.
Flipping shitters is one of my hobbies too, I find it best to buy those shitters locally and sell them on ebay.

Yeah you're right. To each their own. Yep, its so light that heavy watches take time to get me to used to them after not wearing for a longer time.
Its a great little watch.

Same seller is selling*

Also tell me about this one. This seller seems to be a Casio collector so maybe he knows his shit and the prices he is asking for are a tu actually realistic. What do you think?

>I doubt anything I read will make me think it's worth $50k though, but as you said, there are people with a lot of money to throw around.
The kind of people who would spend that much on this watch no doubt have been following it from development to rumor mill to use in space to commercial release, this is not the kind of thing you happen upon and buy on a whim, this is for extreme spacefag/watchfag autists

Forgot pic

Attached: 55ADF349-7091-4B64-8A56-A63AE261B580.png (750x1334, 867K)

This guy definetely sells some really ugly vintage but interesting Casio’s desu. Look at this secret calculator watch.

Attached: E47CF036-A303-4DF8-AD79-38D77DCD3166.jpg (731x713, 399K)

Casio really did some funky shit in the 80s and 90s

>superlative solar windyknob
kek

Attached: 1523566899175.jpg (1600x1370, 362K)

very cool

i need this

A lot of them look too good to pass up. I’ll see if my local “watch shop” can even service watches and check prices. Those actus watches have cool looking dials. They seem like a hidden gem.

one of my favorites

Attached: 3DD0FBC6-7E00-47D2-9528-679CD5BBA880.jpg (1168x1953, 1.48M)

139€, i could send you the link if you are interested. Maybe the seller is willing to send it abroad.

you're a broad

ref # on this?

I thought all analog g shocks were awful but that's not bad.

G-353b
There are a few variations on this color wise. Got it on ebay for 38 + shipping

Post red second hands

Attached: IMG_20180418_153247.jpg (3456x4608, 3.73M)

forgot to add, they normally come with leather straps but they haven't been produced for about 12 years. Most of them have pretty bad bands so I replaced it with keoni 18mm adapters and a 24mm brown nato band

>Post red second hands

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.37M)

Do red chrono hands count?

Attached: 56C56FF5-7CAF-4AEF-BEEB-DE95B818BF48.jpg (3264x2448, 2M)

Where do you get this one? I can only find one with the lines

Thoughts on this? Is it for gays?

Any simple looking watch with nice colors on the dial?

Attached: Seiko SBDC055 Padi.jpg (1100x1100, 195K)

It is so fucking short.
Fucking soviets saved 0.00001 rubles on the material costs for the second hand.

ebay.com/itm/282632160946

I like it because it looks absolutely nuts and can't be mistaken for some random other watch

>Not solar
>Not multiband 5 or 6

Utter trash. Why pick a gshock then.

Attached: 1521580064878.png (711x436, 433K)

SEIKO
X
PADDY
AUTOMATIC
DIVERS 200M

I like it because it's gorgeous yet keeps a simple and goog looking face and design. I was wondering if there were more discreet divers for dress / formal casual wear that came in gorgeous colors but not as bright as that one.

I'd also like do wear it every day, I might feel bad wearing something as exclusive as that

Not for gays, but it’s the kind of watch a caring wives would get for their man after their vasectomy operation.

Why do people post their honest to god shitters and think any of us actually care?

thanks

better contrast, 3 year battery probably lasts 6 at least
>353b - $42
> SR927W - $2.85 x 7 batteries = 19.95
>total for 61.95
>G-Shock GW6900-1 - $68.61
still cheaper

I dont give a shit about price. It's not like the more expensive gshocks are expensive. If you dont pick solar and multiband 6 what the fuck is the point of getting a shitter like that.

This will never be not forced and cringey

I do, so we have different opinions. no big deal to me. But dam you seem so angry, I feel bad for you user, I'll pray for you

wut is AQ meme?

closest I got

Attached: IMG_7448.jpg (1867x2800, 3.96M)

Thoughts on this as my first non-shitter

It's for formal/not looking like shit wear, maybe the mountain as well.

Attached: main_16115228187892_jpg.jpg.png (1102x1102, 1020K)

>formal wear
yeah mate just slip that 12mm thick 44mm dive watch under the cuff, no worries.

>That finishing

Attached: Casio AQ 230 Gold.jpg (640x581, 41K)

>blacked windy knob
>formal wear

Attached: 1499631187917.jpg (952x960, 41K)

why is casio so based

It’s a great watch bro ignore the haters I love mine

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.83M)

god damn it Jow Forums i posted that the right way

With the numerals being so tall, I don't mind at all.

Where's my Baby Tuna REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: srp641k1_03_2.jpg (640x480, 48K)

you can't even see the strip on the crown, and that's the whole point :^)

You've been waiting a long fucking time, m8. It must be punishment for that ugly bezel.

hodinkee.com/articles/five-best-starter-watches-of-2018

>$2000 for a starter watch
I'm starting to hate this hobby. Watches don't need to cost that much. There comes a point where its just a consumerist brand circlejerk.

I'm a wristlet. Maybe this is a better choice?

By formal I dont just mean suit. Also polo and shirts. I wear worn out gshock shitters on the regular, they look like total ass and are improper for more formal occasions or important interviews and meals.

Attached: 2w32341.jpg (450x600, 116K)

Get it bro, it's more accurate than a Rolex, and the finishing is honestly better than most Omegas

Attached: 1524072508217.jpg (3024x4032, 1.83M)

>baby tuna
>still like 46mm
>larger than panerai

dafuq senpai. I really like seiko's shrouded diver but they're frikkin huge

It looks so fucking good and the price is pretty sexy

S N Z F 1 7

Attached: snzf.jpg (1500x1500, 530K)

>Hodinkee
This is where you failed.
There are far better sources for interesting watches than that fucking industry shill.

just buy a sarb and be done with it.
small enough for wristlets
sporty enough for polo
classy enough for suits
automatic
100m water resistant

done

It reads a lot smaller on the wrist, they have tiny lugs and the dials aren't that large. Still big thoufh.

Divers wear smaller because the dial is always smaller due to the rotating bezel.

I dunno, I'm not American. We have a word for watch.

The french word is "montre", which literally means "show", because it shows the time.

Actually seems pretty weird to not have own word for something as basic as a watch.

Not really. You don't just invent words. This was used out of necessity, and evolved from a word used for something else ("montre" was originally used to designate the dial of a clock in a church's bell tower).

(me, continued)
You'd have a point if the wristwatch was invented out of the blue, but it had been a very long time coming and there was already a whole vocabulary around timekeeping. It didn't just suddenly appear and needed a word for it.

Where do you source your watches locally? It's something I'd like to get into but it doesn't seem like watches get sold secondhand anywhere but eBay.

>Actually seems pretty weird to not have own word for something as basic as a watch.
lol what are you joking?

look at what we call it in English, we call it a "watch" the word "watch" existed as a verb. If some speaking another language learned english and learned to say "I watched the cat chase a mouse" and then weeks later learned that we call time keeping devices on our wrists a "watch" he would think we are just calling it a "look" or something similar. Can't you see we do exactly the same thing?

We basically call them "wristlooks" haha

Attached: Seiko-Astron-GPS-Solar-Watch-Collection-2.jpg (630x420, 179K)