Best Linux Distro?

what is the most:
>secure
>stable
>bug-free
>usable
>developer-friendly
distro of linux available?
I'm debating Debian, but i'm open to other ideas that aren't memes.

Attached: UbuntuTroubles.webm (1920x1080, 531K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/security/2018/dsa-4163
lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2016/msg00316.html
lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2014/msg00219.html
debian.org/security/2014/dsa-3025
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/06/msg00720.html
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/04/msg00528.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Slackware.

debian meets the most of your critera

ubuntu is 'easier' but loses out on points 2 and 3, and Jow Forums will argue 1 as well

>User friendliness and speed
Arch
>Stability and Security
Devuan

Debian and Fedora are the only non meme distributions.

Can vouch for Fedora and Arch.

>Arch
>user friendly
not a chance. There's no way you could get some minorly tech illiterate person to install arch, meanwhile ubuntu could likely be installed by that same person.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1511577092964.jpg (400x300, 11K)

I 'll go for arch andif that fails debian, and if that fails ubuntu.

How much lube will i need when i get fucked sideways by arch?

Use LTS kernel, and don't use Pacman -Syu. You should be fine. I don't understand why people meme about Arch, it's an alright distro with (opinion alert) better package management than Debian.

Best Noob distros:
openSUSE Tumbleweed > Solus > Fedora
Best for advanced users:
NixOS > GuixSD > Gentoo = Arch = Void
Stable Server Distros:
openSUSE Leap > Slackware > Debian

D E B I A N

E

B

I

A

N

>and don't use Pacman -Syu
coward

Unironically this or Devuan

RHEL / Debian.
Enterprise / Hobbyist

>don't use Pacman -Syu
w-what does it do?

>LTS
as in long term support? should i not sudo apt-get update it?

>ARCH
i managed to get pretty far with alpine which is PURE TERMINAL so this shouldn't be too much of a problem, plus this has more documentation than alpine.

I don't know if you know this, but you're supposed to sudo pacman -Syyu every time you install a new package.
If you don't you can actually break things as the new package might require an updated dependency, and break, or it installs the updated dependency and breaks other packages on the system
pacman -Syyu isn't emerge --update --deep --newuse @world, you should do it as often as possible.

Installs the latest updated packages from a freshly updated database. It's notorious for fucking up systems because they install the unstable binaries as a result.

so don't install new packages?
got it.

Unironically Slackware but Devuan is shite
Debian is good too though, never had a problem with systemd

install Gentoo
slackware is also good

gentoo

That's one that works for the purpose.

MacOS or Windows

>needs you to add yet another new ppa to install anything

God damn how did Manjaro so rapidly take the #2 spot on distrowatch?

I'll say an old answer to that question, which is; what do you plan to do with that computer?
Debian stable is really good for server, the unstable version is fine for desktop.
Arch and Fedora get the work done but tend to be a bit less stable than debian, and if you are willing to pay even the bloody Redhat is fine.

>I'm debating Debian
this is literally a debian advertisement thread

>what do you plan to do with that computer?
Thanks for asking, I just want to do development (programming langs) and work, windows OS but without the garbage and botnet. If i decide on some games i'll just use QEMU + VirtMan. I just need something i can start on that will let me ease my way into more complex bits later on, and doesn't get in the way of my productivity with bullshit because i'm a uni student and i ain't got time for that shit, nigger.

This is because i plan on working with the uni research team and knowing linux is a noted positive that will give me an edge over some of my peers.

I'm considering other options from Debian because baring me from using sudo is a fucking garbage idea.

This.

reddit

For years it was Debian.
It is now GuixSD.

Attached: GuixSD.png (200x200, 8K)

>Fedora
>Usable
>Developer
No, just no. LTS is an absolute requirement of any professional developer.

Arch is one of the least user friendly distros out there. I don't think you know what user friendly means.

It's a great distro. I'm in love with it.

I've heard debian has extremely old packages and compiling the latest version of something by yourself may have some issues. How true is this? And why is it needed too have years old packages?

>compiling the latest version of something by yourself may have some issues
Nothing that you shouldn't be able to fix yourself if you have grasped the basic understandings of linux/gnu/unix/
>And why is it needed too have years old packages?
Gee, it's almost like in order to keep something stable, software has to be tested rigorously or something. Hence the term debain "stable"

>no reply
fuck it, i'm installing bunsen labs.

Debian has slow releases because it only uses bug-free versions of software and only releases a new version of the distro when the planets align, for this reason its very far behind the competition, but near-impenetrable by all but the l337est of hackers.

Debian stable tends to have older packages; it's for servers and such that hardly update apart from security updates. If you want newer packages, try Debian testing - and for cutting edge, there's Debian unstable.

Once you get Arch up and running, it goes quite smooth and friendly.

>bug-free versions of software
No such thing exists if it's a reasonably sized program. But I get your point.

At the same time newer versions of software get bugfixes and sometimes those can be really important but it depends on what package it is. How does debian deal with this?

Once you get it up and running it's just like any other distro for the most part. But it's not user friendly at all, you can install most linux distros really easily without knowing much but to install arch you need to read the wiki and follow instructions.
Most of my family and friends would probably be able to easily install something like manjaro quickly and without any issues.

>secure
>stable
>bug-free
Debian or CentOS.
>usable
>developer-friendly
Arch or Fedora.

Azure Sphere

Attached: 636aed147a2442b7cd8835e48ffa0c09.jpg (489x340, 33K)

>Debian because baring me from using sudo

>he doesn't know how to set up sudo

Attached: Down-Sydrome-Gorilla-PPcorn.jpg (640x427, 66K)

>install sudo
>use sudo
>"this is illegal, you have been reported to cyberpolice"
fuck you too buddy.

didn't it tell you after installation?
you have to enable it in the sudoers file and your user has to be part of the wheel group

> he doesn't know how to adduser user sudo
> doesn't know how to google set up sudo in debian, guess that's barred too

Attached: Animals-4-600x400.jpg (600x400, 35K)

bump

This. CentOS is the RPM equivalent of Debian. it's based on RHEL and runs many popular servers so you can bet it's as stable as a modern distro can get.

Attached: CentOS-logo-61929B91AB-seeklogo.com.png (300x299, 19K)

when it happened to me, i was almost as scared as when i typed in "lolita" on imagefap

this

so there is no distro that satisfies all 5 requirements?
not OP

This. Don't fall for meme distros being shilled in Jow Forums

>even considering the idea of comparing Gentoo to Arch
wew lad

You're giving me mixed signals here. emerge -uDN @world can be safely run at any arbitrary interval, once a month, once a week, daily, hourly, automatically in an infinite loop, it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, no, there really isn't.

mint

Linux mint if you plan on changing nothing

What's with this debate with Arch user-friendliness when OP asked about being developer friendly? Arch is VERY developer friendly.

>op sees people recommend arch for beginners
>op installs it
>op doesn't know why there is only a command line
>op gives up on life

Attached: 7cea1fc3a899e7c1ed3542c0fe630519.png (512x512, 66K)

this

Is that what hacking looks like?

Parrot: debian but stable as well as updated

I have a much better question
What is the most
>stable
>bug free
>secure
distro that doesnt require you to audit every line of code of shit you install?, nothing else matters

Yeah, systemd is a crude hackjob.

>secure
Pretty much anything as long as it's on the SELinux kernel and you're smart about what you do with your computer.
>stable
Anything that isn't marked as testing, dev, experimental, or beta would otherwise be stable. Use an LTS linux kernel or LTS selinux kernel.
>bug-free
There will always be bugs, but a lot of the distros that have other distros based off of them are pretty bug free. Things like Debian, Gentoo, and Ubuntu are pretty bug-free. Even Arch is pretty stable as long as you know what you're doing.
>usable
That's subjective. Personally, I just use KDE as that's what I consider to be the most usable. Find a distro that you can put what you want on it.
>developer-friendly
So Linux in general?

If you're new to Linux, just start with Ubuntu. If you know what you're doing, go with Gentoo and configure it the way you want.

lol

>For years it was Debian.
>It is now GuixSD.
He wants a stable system; GuixSD is beta software.

Use NixOS if you want declarative functional system configuration that is stable and are able to live with systemd.

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (1183x1024, 88K)

I'm not a beginner, i can handle myself without a terminal but honestly the retardation of the developers to be bleeding edge to the detriment of all good in the world makes me question if its worth my time.

CloverOS checking in.
> easiest stock gentoo install
> pre-riced for convenience
> get to a booting kernel/install in less than 5 minutes
> LibreSSL by default
> unmatched for ease of development.
> stable
> bug-free
> usable

Attached: Screenshot_20180419_132942.png (1920x1080, 2.01M)

Why Tumbleweed over Leap? I installed it once and after an update most parts of KDE stopped working.

Alright fags, I installed Kali in a new laptop for dual boot with Winfag 10 (preinstalled)
I think I also created a hidden partition by accident.
So... what do I do now?

>uses emacs
into the trash it goes.

Is there a distro that starts with bare minimum but is usable?
I don't need much, just >vim, a good pacman, file explorer, bash terminal, internet explorer (Basalisk probably), and xfce desktop environment. Nothing else desu.

Attached: BewareTheGentooman.jpg (828x134, 140K)

Boy, I too love wasting time manually checking dependencies.
>inb4 hurr durr brainlet detected

But it's literally not true.

I've used pacman -Syu for years and never had a single issue.

this

Debian, Gentoo, Arch, Fedora, Xubuntu

anything else is retarded

Debian zealot won't believe you.

Is arch a meme or not?

>Xubuntu
wtf
>Gentoo
name one thing you can do in gentoo that you can't do in debian

debian.org/security/2018/dsa-4163
lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2016/msg00316.html
lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2014/msg00219.html
debian.org/security/2014/dsa-3025
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/06/msg00720.html
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/04/msg00528.html

debian had some serious security issues. Would you say every distro that's not too young has such kind of problems now and then?

Debian zealot can blow it up his ass.

It's not. You can install Debian sid or Fedora if you want a bleeding edge system that doesn't sacrifice good design for being bleeding edge

>Installing Kali
That's your problem

Attached: ISHYGDDT.gif (186x186, 2.99M)

>what is slapt-get

Manjaro, if you have an Nvidia GPU. Development is comfy and the font rendering is as close to Ubuntu as you are going to get without installing it.

>its not
>Arch devs: hey man i heard you like working with python 3 and calling it by python in terminal, so instead of aliasing python 3 as python i'm gonna rewrite some shit and break other shit, then you to fix it :^)

Why are people always eager to get stable / LTS packages? I have never had a package let a lone a system break after years of explicitly running various unstable systems. I guess bleeding edge can be harder to exploit even as environments can change so fast that it would probably be hard to keep up with.

Yeah. I already said Arch was shit and you should install Debian sid, Opensuse Tumbleweed or Fedora if you want bleeding edge

Dear God, you people are so thirsty for shitting on Arch all the time, even when the comment you are replying to doesn't even mention it.

Is gentoo good or should I just stick to Debian?

install gentoo user
and i'm not memeing it's the best distro ever created

I recommend Debian or Fedora
I lean more towards Debian of late

Slackware

It is secure, stable, bug-free, usable (even though it is meant for advanced users, it is made up of mostly small scripts, and not monolithic programs that are impossible to debug), and it is certainly developer friendly.

There are like 10 package managers for slackware that handle dependancies, to name some: sbotools, slapt-get, slapt-src (from Salix) and so on

debian or centos
if it's deb - stick to lxde or xfce