Why are gaming laptops so vomit-inducingly ugly?

Why are gaming laptops so vomit-inducingly ugly?

Attached: gaming-laptops-under-1000-best-min.jpg (1024x926, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/attaching-to-a-virtual-machine--kernel-mode-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because YEah VidEoGaYmEZ!!!11

because most gamers are autistic children

ANYTHING 'gaming' is.

Autists literally prefer well defined patterns and not schizophrenic trash

>gaming laptop
It comes with linux

Attached: 15173656502403.jpg (305x260, 13K)

I needed a "gaming" laptop because performance (i have to run multiple VMs sometimes) and honestly it was hard to find one that doesnt look absolutely trash. Ended up with an MSI that only has an autistic logo at the back and a single red line, nothing else, not even autistic backlit keyboard, so i guess i did pretty good.

kids like colorful plastic and LEDs, because it gives some sense of 'added value' basically

They're designed to appeal to children

Sounds logical, since games are for kids.

I whish this trend would die.
Why does everything have to be targeted at babysitters?
They don't have any money and it makes us all look bad because if we buy it, they think it is because we are accepting how it looks.

adult version / marketing word for a 'gaming laptop' is 'workstation'.

>because most gamers are children
fixed that for you. Children are being targeted because they are a group that usually don't have these things and they also don't pay for it themselves. I'm guilty of pushing this myself, I'm well off and I've bought a few "gaming" items for my nephews.

Exactly.

An interesting side-note on this, a shockingly large percentage of the youtube audience consists of kids and teenagers. Old people watch TV, they don't netflix or youtube and don't know what those things are. I, on the other hand, don't even have a TV (why would I?). Now you know why the "tech" channels on youtube are what they are.

EVGA has some pretty nice ones.

I was amazed to learn people watch YouTube like TV. YouTube content is literal trash and mostly advertainment.

Your taste == shit

>content is literal trash and mostly advertainment.
Just like TV?

They're a pastime just like bowling, exercise, and reading books.

bc they're marketable to people who want a gaming computer but dont know much about computers

that market is rather large, filled with pseudo technology intellectuals who read somewhere that PC gaming is the way to go but dont know that much about PC's

To indicate to you that you are buying a fucking gaming laptop.

Get a gaming desktop and a somewhat power-efficient laptop.

People can realize that there are more and cheaper games on PC without understanding much.

Has both good and bad effects.

t. child

No, but stupid and spoiled kids.

Attached: ibuypower.jpg (1200x926, 201K)

This has a 1060 in it and looks just like an office laptop.

Attached: gigabyte_aero_14wv7_bk4_aero_i7_7700hq_16gb_512ssd_1319314.jpg (1000x1000, 69K)

>Looks up the most gaming centered laptop

No one buys this.

I think alot of people don't actually look for laptops like this is the problem. When they go out and look for laptops with certain GPUs they go for ones with a certain look cause they perceive it to perform better. Even Acer has a few that look like regular laptops with a 1060 in it. Most of the companies have some great machines that look like regular laptops and are more than capable of 1080p gaming.

This was really a thing from ~2007-2014. Aside from rgb keyboards they're generally moving away from it. Even the ROG gaming brand line for example look like pic related now

Attached: GL503-08-Tradition.jpg (1080x1080, 82K)

Manufacturers realised that OPs picture was only ever popular among obnoxious manchildren slash autists so is moving away from it.

Acer laptop with a 1060 in it right here. Each company has their own normal looking one with gaming level specs.

Attached: 34-316-168-V05.jpg (1280x960, 41K)

Because gamers go for flashy, flamboyant shit to show off how great their machine is.

Are they any good? It has the best spec for the price that I've found, but any time there is a laptop discussion here people say to avoid Acer. It seems pretty unanimous

Dunno, bought one for my wife (then gf) back in 2012. She still has it. she just uses it for basic stuff. Still works fine after all these years. Runs windows 7. Never had any problems with Windows 7 either on it. No reinstall/bsod,etc.

They might have decent specs on paper, but every Acer machine I've ever dealt with has been a pain in the arse for one reason or another. Especially if you need to open them up to upgrade, replace, or tweak something. When I retired my Acer netbook from service, I literally tore the thing open to salvage the SSD rather than go through whatever arcane sequence of dismantling was required again.

Im poor and i cant even buy that piece of shit but if i have 5000$ id rather buy myself a used workstation instead of that
t. European citzen

Workstation laptops are a thing, but sadly they are even more expensive than the gaymer shit

Neither belongs in a laptop. Heavy computations are just not meant to run off a battery.

Set up a desktop and remote in / submit tasks if you must.

Attached: reaching.png (778x512, 45K)

A friend bought the Acer predator helios 300. nice machine. 7 hour battery life and it's been to multiple countries and missions and survived it all(we're army). He hasn't had any problems with it and it's run great. I use an MSI GE62vr and it's been just as great. I don't see any problem with Acer. Maybe it's their cheaper line that people have trouble with.

I learned that the hard way trying to edit even full hd videos on premiere, it just kills my shitty ass laptop

> Jigabyte laptops

Yeah, those were clearly out of the question for an uni student
Duh, windows kernel driver development is not something you can easily do remotely. Im on train with power plugs for about 6 hours a week so battery is not that important (power only cuts for 5-10 mins at most), rather portability is.

Editing is actually fairly possible on a laptop [and more easily so if you aren't using Adobeshit software].

But it'll get ridiculous once you want your output video to be h.265 or presumably AV1 [soon] encoded.

Alas, you're still better off doing it on a desktop / server stationary machine anyhow. It'll let your laptop actually last for a while on battery, not be fuckheavy, and give you more srs processing power with much less constraints on using it. Laptop size / weight / battery / thermal constraints are just pretty srs.

>Duh, windows kernel driver development is not something you can easily do remotely.
Duh, you can develop software without a gaymen laptop. Even if you may require more RAM than the plebbiest user, ultimately some incremental compile of a few files doesn't require "heavy" processing power and a gaymen-tier laptop. More common hardware will do.

Apart from that, it's obviously easier to have your test setup virtualised [minus the affected device which obviously is on pass-through to the real device] for CI / automated testing with no constant crashes and full reproducibility.
Might as well run remotely / be a remote desktop session if it somehow is a heavy task that is required to trigger your bugs.

Because people learn from a young age that laptops are horrible for gaming. When they see a laptop that looks like it has been specifically designed to play games then it's finally a good laptop that doesn't choke. It has to look like that for this reason. Not everyone knows every component by heart, especially kids that just want to play games. You can end this thread here.

I think you dont know how kernel driver dev works. The only way you can debug is with a VM, on (possibly virtual) COM port (although 8+ supports over the network but its crippled, slow, and shit). Several debugger features like run-to needs debugger intervention every single instruction and is practically unusable with latency. Common laptops still come with 4 GB ram often, take two for one VM, and it already cant run firefox + visual studio at usable performance. Take another two for a second VM and you ran out already. 8 is a but better, i could probably somehow manage with that.

The other alternative of offloading the whole development to a remote machine is something i already tried, and is not really usable because as i said im on a train, and trains as usually have horribly shit data speeds (think of 0.2-0.4 mbps).

Unfortunately the back looks like this.

In contrast to that, the Gigabyte P34G v7 actually looks good.

Attached: 2018031610473250_src.png (1000x1000, 40K)

Hello 1985

>Put arm down in the wrong place
>Preddy racign vlames

Attached: 1502468800742.png (169x264, 46K)

>65 y.o boss owns an asus rgb gaming laptop
>calls me into office one day
>he asks me how im doing and makes small talk
>"so yeah user checkout my DK in elder scrolls online"
>literally sit in there for an hour with him making small chat and me watching him play in IC in ESO
>tell him i gotta get back to work
>"nahhh user did you want a turn? Here have a turn"
>"wait i got a better idea do you have steam? we can play rocket league ill gift you it if you dont have it"

I had to avoid playing steam games for 3 more months until i quit then when i would go on steam he would popup and invite me to games. I dont know what to do with him.

Thoughts?

There's a black edition as well...

Can confirm this laptop is amazing

Nah, you can do that in a VM. Microsoft evidently even has customers that do it or does it itself:
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/attaching-to-a-virtual-machine--kernel-mode-

> Common laptops still come with 4 GB ram often
Please, I don't say you should buy blindly from the leftovers in a random computer store. It's merely easy to simply pick a non-gaymen laptop with 8 or more GB RAM.

Just play with him dipshit, if he is a boomer that is somewhat technologically proficient he can't be that bad.

Attached: 1523849004904.png (759x425, 117K)

Eurocom m8

It still looks a little bit too much like a gamer laptop with that carbon finish.

Attached: 2018012217174513_src.png (1000x1000, 159K)

how would you rather work than play games
weirdo

I've been using it for uni and not once has anyone noticed it or asked about it etc, even sitting next to gaymers with their HP omen and razor note books, to them they just consider it a ultrabook.

I find asus RoG cute. Is it just me? -_-

Have you told your girl friends already that you are an expert in finding the bright red G spot?

Attached: 2018012217174584_src.png (1000x1000, 95K)

You just know that man has issues with his wife or kids.

literally System76 Bonobo WS

Tech Specs
>Operating System: Pop!_OS 17.10 (64-bit) or Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS (64-bit)
>Processor: 8th Gen Intel® Desktop Core i7-8700k
>>i7-8700K: 3.7 up to 4.7 GHz – 12 MB cache – 6 cores – 12 threads
>Display: 17.3 3840×2160 4K HiDPI, Matte Finish
>Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070, dual 1070, 1080, or dual 1080
>Memory: Up to 64 GB Dual-channel DDR4 @ 2400 MHz
>Storage: 2× M.2 SATA/PCIe, 2× 2.5 7mm height drive. Up to 12 TB total.
>Expansion: 5× USB 3.1 Type-A, 2× USB 3.1 Type-C, SD Card Reader
>Input: Multitouch Touchpad, Multi-Color Backlit Chicklet Keyboard
>Networking: 2× Gigabit Ethernet, Intel® WiFi up to Wireless-AC, Bluetooth
>Video Ports: HDMI, 2× MiniDP
>Audio: Stereo Speakers + Woofer, Stereo Mic, Combined Headphone & S/PDIF Jack, Mic Jack, Line In, Line Out
>Camera: 1080p HD Webcam

Attached: feature_2560-9aadd5c44f.jpg (2560x1809, 194K)

/thread
I dont know why threads like these keep going honestly or how they belong to Jow Forums more than /v/

Attached: 1523997508343.png (1582x947, 1021K)

When people post these kind of threads on /v/, they get yelled and told to post them here instead. Whether these threads belong here or at the other place, I do not know. But I've long since came to terms with Jow Forums being /v/'s tech support.

>Whether these threads belong here or at the other place
This must be settled down, or at least people redirected to /pcbg/
Im gonna bitch about it on /qa/

Sounds like a cool boss. Seems a shame though that he’s preventing you from getting the nobel at work though

Bitch

This thread and many others like it are discussing a piece of technology. Whether it's about looks, performance, or both. The discussion of technology is what this board is all about and obviously we have more than enough people to keep these discussions going so I don't know how you can see it as a bad thing. I'll be 30 this year, not a kid, and love playing video games. I find the "gaming" laptop topic interesting and post in many of the threads discussing them. /v/ has consoles and we have desktops and laptops. Just because they are using them for a gaming purpose does not mean they are not allowed to talk about them on Jow Forums. If you don't like it then don't post in the thread and just ignore it like a normal damn adult.

>NVIDIA graphics
>on a LINUX machine

>just download the binary driver goyim

Attached: 20z4mg.jpg (252x291, 16K)

The only ones who think its a good idea to use a laptop for gaming are teens migrating over from console since PC gaming is the current meme.

Everyone who's be on PC long enough to develop taste also knows not to waste money on lap furnaces

Dude must have an awful home life, he just wants a friend user ;_;

>The discussion of technology is what this board is all about
Lots of shit is tech related, crypto, games, tech support yet they dont belong here mainly because of spam
>I'll be 30 this year
I dont care about your age or what hobbies you have, but there are certain boards for that, threads about politics thinly veiled as tech are moved to Jow Forums most of the time, and same should be done with gaiming hardware discussion
>hurr just ignore
Its about quality posting faggot, complaining about the looks of a gaming laptop is the most kiddie shit I have seen today

Not that user, but having the money to support game-playing is preferable to being a poor NEET. NEETbux don't exactly cover the costs of having that 1337 rig that draws a ton of power, let alone pay for all the rest of your bills. Survival first, hobbies second.

Attached: 0056F4CB-D9F6-4A66-AD1E-9E52C02738A3.jpg (960x520, 34K)

Attached: DF49B88C-77B8-47DF-9391-76134ABE82AC.jpg (800x506, 50K)

More like any gaming peripheral, not just laptop.

There is no argumentatively defendable way to state that it's worse than screenfetch threads.

>muh koo-uh-lee-tee

Does this thing come with a car mouse?

I had a similar issue
Except we both played the shit out of pubg
The guy was going through a divorce and needed an outlet

I left that place months ago and we still meetup for beers sometimes , guy may be a boomer but hes a complete bro

Not related but what's the best gaming laptop for $1000-$1450?

I've had that with a calculus professor that was terrible at dota 2, but wouldn't stop inviting me and even called me in front of everyone in the class with his gaming laptop to play a game against bots
with a touchpad

bc they are targeted to kids/teens

Dell Inspiron 15 7000

Doesn't look too gamertag either.

I think gaming laptops are cool and my iq is registered at 144. Also I have a CS degree so basically my opinion > than yours'

Why not 7577?

You are right, both are in the same level along with speccy threads
All that cancer should be banned for Jow Forums's sake, but since they have large sized autistic fanbases the shit keeps going, I wish they would get Naruto treatment

That is a good question. I wanted a power laptop because I could work faster with more cores and frequency, I don't even care if it have discrete gpu.
The only passable model is from Dell, it's at least less ugly, but since they are still weight a lot I'm waiting to buy a decent 4 core 15-28w laptop

Looks okay but keyboard is horrible.
I would buy a Thinkpad xeon but it's very overpriced. Laptop workstation is usually very expensive because they pair it with quadros even if you only need cpu

Because gaming is ugly.

Sometimes you need local power. A lot of things are done cheaper and faster with a quick vm. Problem is ultranooks are just 2 cores until recently. Laptops used to heavily CPU limited in recent years

To fit their users

Kek, that why I rather rise the ThinkPad meme

>MRW consoles are more aesthetic

Attached: KkqwJ75.jpg (1260x1782, 342K)

I'm starting a driver programming internship this summer. What should I expect?

>But I've long since came to terms with Jow Forums being /v/'s tech support.
Fuck that. Half of the posts on /v/ sound like they're written by people who don't actually play games, they just like bitching about them.

The gigabyte aero series arent too bad and the razer blade is ok but fuck asus and msi man

Horrible amounts of C and lots of time spent in windbg analyzing what the fuck went wrong then you figure out its just a wrong irql... 99% of driver programmers dont even know they can write drivers in c++. Also expect some even more faggotry with irqls. However one upside is that you dont have to suffer from ugly winapi, the nt apis are pretty clean

Some of the most powerful gaming laptops are astonishingly bland.

Blandness is quite acceptable if you value performance over looks.

Attached: P751TM.jpg (1622x1080, 192K)

i always thought these looked great

Attached: P_500.jpg (500x500, 22K)