Stop putting GNU/ in front of Linux

Stop putting GNU/ in front of Linux.

Attached: imageproxy.php.jpg (406x318, 29K)

You're right it should be GNU + Linux

You mean just GNU

It should be Systemd + Gnu/Linux

you mean GNU comboed with Linux

GRUB + Linux + X11 + GNU

Attached: inteligent fish.jpg (3300x1600, 1.08M)

GNU running on GPL firmware

GRUB + Linux + X11 + GNU/XFCE

Linux/GNU

Stop putting Linus in front of my face.

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

Attached: 1507675089798.jpg (301x285, 62K)

It is right and proper to mention the principal contribution first. The GNU contribution to the system is not only bigger than Linux and prior to Linux, we actually started the whole activity.

In addition, “GNU/Linux” fits the fact that Linux is the lowest level of the system and GNU fills technically higher levels.

However, if you prefer to call the system “Linux/GNU”, that is a lot better than what people usually do, which is to omit GNU entirely and make it seem that the whole system is Linux.

Attached: 1521276633044.jpg (480x640, 63K)

ok GNU/Linus

I will start calling the GNU Operating System (with Linux Kernel) "Linux" as soon as people start calling the Windows Operating System (with NT Kernel) "NT"

It's cringy as fuck.

The only time you should listen to Stallman is when he talks about proprietary software. Everything else is just autistic screeching.

Microsoft decided to name it Windows. Completely different situation.

fpbp

Richard Stallman decided to name it GNU.

/thread

Richard Stallman only decided to name GNU as GNU, not GNU/Linux as GNU. Also monolithic kernels are operating systems and they are not comparable to only NT.

Calling it GNU or Linux is against the principles of Free Software. GNU is a trademark of the Free Software Foundation and Linux is a trademark of the Linux Foundation. Free software, however, belongs to its users - you can name it whatever you want. Trademarks limit the users' freedoms, though. If I were to name a kernel of my own devising "Linux" and market it as such, I would receive a C&D from the Linux Foundation in violation of the principles of freedom.
The only incorrect names for free software are trademarked names, so stop referring to Steve as "GNU", 'Linux", or "GNU/Linux."

>Free software, however, belongs to its users - you can name it whatever you want

This guy gets it.

So lets call it windows.

You're entitled to do that. Freedom is nice, isn't it?

No.
I'll keep saying Linux.

But linux isn't free software.

if only GNU software existed on Linux then GNU/Linux would be acceptable, but this isn't the case

Why is OP posting a dumb faggot who can't even install Linux and relies on his workers to do it for him, accompanied with a thread about discussing Linux?

GNU stands for Gnu's Not Unix.

So GNU/Linux actually means "GNU's Not Unix/Linux"

If GNU's not Linux, what is GNU?

why the hell hasn't that fat fuck finished his own kernel yet. Holy fuck. I can think of at least one other UNIX knockoff kernel (QNX) that also was finished in the fucking 80's by one guy who never gets any god damn mention on this fucking pleb forum.

For fuck sakes Stallman works at some University with funding and staff and he has loads of people contributing to his project and he still hasn't got his fucking kernel completed yet. He just sits around picking his god damn toe nails and talking about hypothetical doom situations involving users freedom.

Linux is a good kernel, so any work towards a different kernel would probably be just because of the name. If they let it slide then they have a fully working system which they can push to everyone and focus on freedom lectures. That's my guess at least.

Yeah, GNU is for snowboards

Attached: gnu plus snowboard.jpg (700x700, 75K)

>finished his own kernel yet
>finished
>kernel
Did your retardation come from both your parents or from going through the shit canal because you were too special to go the conventional way through the vagina?

GNU software doesn't exist in Linux. Linux exists in the GNU system (and the Android syatem).

This, linus is a fuuckiiiing cuuuuuck!!!
>make one component (shitty btw)
>get all the credit

Linux makes so many videos, when does he find time to make his OS?

Shut the fuck up you god damn faggot gnu dick sucker. Their hurd kernel is so far behind its a sad state of affairs.

No, GNU/SystemD

linux is the thing you boot in. so linux/gnu is correct. GNU on Linux.

What credit is he getting, Richard? If you're referring to the name then it's just for convenience. People aren't crediting Torvalds and throwing a parade for him when they say Linux.

There are many people naming the GNU OS as Linux, Tetris

GRUB is part of the GNU project.

You silly kids with your made up pronouns. We just called it Linux back in my days.

Attached: gtfo.gif (560x224, 1007K)

stop spamming linux soy tips

There is no GNU OS, it's either Linux or GNU/Linux.

Attached: itsJustLinux.jpg (804x931, 362K)

Stop using FreeBSD

Attached: 1498753543606.png (607x488, 322K)

>there is no OS, there is only kernel or OS/kernel

Monolithic kernel is an operating system. Without it there's nothing even resembling an operating system.

Attached: OS-structure2.png (1499x383, 59K)

No one uses FreeBSD

based

What about android?

Fuck this, im making my own OS

I'll call it by something else just to spite you.

When talking about the kernel itself, sure, but not the OS I use.

what kind of sociopath would want to run drivers in userland

You gay lol

Why is he calling it an OS? I thought Linux was a Kernel?

Or is a Kernel considered an OS?

If that is the case,

Then GNU is also an OS.

Or rather:

GNU is the ying, Linux is the Yang. Neither would exist without the other.

The true answer is that the complete OS is the combination of GNU + Linux.

>GNU is the ying, Linux is the Yang. Neither would exist without the other.
>The true answer is that the complete OS is the combination of GNU + Linux.

critical soy overflow

GNU plus Linux needs a new name that is two syllables tops
>Wind-Dows
>Lin-Nux
>An-Droid
see the pattern? we should start calling it something like Ginux or maybe LinGnu. maybe people will start taking it seriously when it does't take 30 syllables to express what operating system you're using

I just say Ubuntu*Linux*Gnu2

Then they look up Linux and see Torvalds with all the Microsoft employees in the background, linux.com campaigning against GPL, and all the other shit.

In the words of Ken Thmpson himself "The OS is several parts; the kernel, or the OS proper, and then the shell that runs on top and utilities"
Also, monolothic kernels ARE the OS because 90% of things run in kernel space.

Not everyone uses GNU's terrible userland.

Fake.
>implying stallman account on google+
If you actualy read the pasta, you will realize that it's about calling the kernel GNU/Linux and arguing againg it. A classic strawman.

Or maybe something which doesn't have the ugliest combination of consonants in the entirety of the English language (GN).
If rms wants to pick the name then he should take something which isn't ugly as fuck. Writing some kernel code instead of being a crybaby and food cheese connoisseur might also help.

Until then I propose "Linux" as a suitable name.

I guess wanting an OS where exploiting a driver doesn't mean you gain access to ring 0 makes you a sociopath.

This. Linux is simply more phonetically friendly

Just ask the system:
uname --kernel-name
uname --operating-system

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-20-23-57-08.png (410x154, 12K)

its just systemd

>gahnoo utils say it's gahnoo slash Linux
Gee, I wonder why?

rude

>gets it

>I'm wondering why my os says it's my os
> t.. Brainlet

i installed a program wtf it's os now??????

Coreutils are not an OS. Rather, they're another free and shitty GNU component which would be even more useless without the Linux kernel. Many users run a GNU system every day and wonder why those components are so terrible without knowing about the superior non-GNU alternatives. There really is a GNU and it's shitting up these peoples system.

the boot loader is a program, but its also a boot loader

>superior non-GNU alternatives
Name them.

> Posts daily youtube videos
> Bangs his smoking hot asian wife multiple times per day
> Yells at incompetent retards on mailing lists on the daily
> Still has time to shitpost on Jow Forums and BTFO stallman
> All of this while coding the kernel
Where does he find all this time?

guh no.
fuck off.

Linus Tech Tips is not Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux kernal) newfag

zsh, busybox, musl, heirloom, LiLo, clang

If GNU is called Linux, can we agree that Richard Stallman created Linux?

Why not. Still better than calling that shit GANOOO

How do I install Linux in Android?

install gentoo

bait

I just call it Linux.

GNU/Linus

JUST + Linux

It's not real, it's just a meme pasta

GNU/Go fuck yourself

Attached: awQKNL8_460s.jpg (460x432, 30K)

much better