Why is programming so fucking BORING? FUCK. HOW do you get this shit as a hobby?

Why is programming so fucking BORING? FUCK. HOW do you get this shit as a hobby?

Attached: lqkzlwikjujqh5suhshi.jpg (300x360, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

projecteuler.net/archives
adventofcode.com/2017/day/24
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You just don't underestand/find it easy yet. Everything gets fun when you're doing something moderately difficult (mentally invigorating) that you're also good at, just don't do too much.

You need to get to the stage where you become good enough at what you do. You're probably doing things you don't understand/too difficult; I suggest you take it down a notch and go for something slightly simpler for now, until you finally completely 'get it' and you'll probably feel a little surge of euphoria and thusly a lust to continue.

I am completely overwhelmed by math homework in order to spend as much time as I need to on my programming projects, so they end up intertwined mess.

I thought it was boring back in University because we were studying either in vacuums (how to do function X or method Y) or we were doing really boring and dumb programs.

I started programming 2 years ago and pragmatic oriented programming is probably the biggest boon ever. Find something that you or people do and make a program to do it instead. With that in mind, you literally create out of thin air a mini-pajeet that can do things more reliably.

Then learn how to mix and match those classes and how to make stuff like, I dunno, I made a document-checker to check using RegEx over 1000 documents at once so I didn't have to read them myself.

>you'll probably feel a little surge of euphoria and thusly a lust to continue.
'twas a good post

Attached: avatars-000230105681-8hefk0-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 30K)

Try harder faggot

It's fun once you can build something useful and sell it.

start smoking meth

Make something fun. I play Eve so I write bots. (Dont tell CCP though)

Here's the deal, cut and dry.

In the beginning, say, around 1985, when languages like QuickBasic came out, programming WAS fun. It didn't take a DNA genetically wired prodigy to program, like it does now. Even the current version of QuickBasic today, now known as VisualBasic has evolved to be every bit as confusing, and complex as C.

Some where along the line, some bone head prodigy came up with the idea that, the more difficult, complex, and now logically structured that we can make languages, the better programming will be.

When QuickBasic came out, to print HELLO WORLD on the screen, took only 17 characters of code:

PRINT "HELLO WORLD"

That was it! That literally was all you needed to be considered the entire code. That alone was enough to be compiled into an EXE, and ran.

To do that today, EVEN in C#, takes a number of lines to achieve the same thing. Now you have to have Methods first, and then you need Classes, etc. It's absolutely ludicrous, considering the route they could have taken to keep programming languages as simple as possible, to encompass the majority of anyone wanting to learn, ...but they didn't.

But I fully understand the angle your coming from, been there, done that. Trust me, it's the same with learning a musical instrument. You want to sprint, before you can even crawl.

In your case, as I wish I had in my case, you need an exceptional teacher. Someone who understands your frustration, and will make your learning, very interesting to you. They would start you very small, and slow, BUT, have you make programs that would make you go, ...WOW! Once you get hooked that way, you drag yourself to continue learning. You just need that spark lit.

print_endline "hello world"

It's probably not for you, OP. Programming is pretty fun. Try to do as said.

I get what you mean but wasn't C written to be simple?
Even today C is still a relatively small language with few bells and whistles

It's all the Visual and .Net shit that makes certain things easy but makes other things an abstracted chore

> be brainlet at math but doing a math second major at uni
> programming subjects have become soothing for me to take my mind off stress

Attached: 425308594695700481.png (112x112, 21K)

You don't. You only do it because you get paid.

C is low-level / close to the hardware, and hardware would have usually very basic instructions. It's probably not trying to be too complicated, but basic and simple or easy are kind of opposite ends of the spectrum?

Yeah programming is easier than math in college because we've taken math for most of our lives up until then, whereas many people start programming in college and so the curriculums are very easy

It's not a hobby. I do it because I get paid a bunch of money to do it.

Use you imagination

You switch to Haskell and/or Scala, then it gets interesting.

Fuck you I started programming as a kid a long time ago and I do not regret anything one bit. To me it's easily the most fun hobby/job to ever have.

Its fun because you do fun things with it

Its like reading, no one really enjoys the literal action of reading, but we do like what we are reading about.

It is fun, you have to be good at it already though.

I was introduced to solving algorithmic problems back when I was in highschool. Problems kept me hooked while I learnt programming as a means to implement solutions.

>BASIC was good because you could print Hello world by typing Print "Hello World"

God if only there was an intuitive modern programming language like that...

Attached: python-logo-glassy.png (286x364, 14K)

Languages like C# enforce the use of methods, scoping, typing, etc. not to make things difficult, but to better describe intent to the compiler. These features make large codebases far more maintainable and easier to refactor because you're given certain guarantees about behavior.

Try to make gaymes
Bonus points for android programming

Attached: images(3).jpg (275x183, 8K)

Maybe you're not fit for CS.

OP, write an NES emulator.
Yes, use all the documentation available and SDL and shit.
You can even download a 6502 core, but do the whole PPU shit yourself.

But be careful, as soon the first correct tile appear onscreen, you will be hooked.

Sounds difficult as hell, is it simpler to make my own DooM?

Doom is significantly harder, unless you do it with Open GL, then it's quite easier.
Except by the collision detection, that one will get you.
Unless you use unity, but then it is still programming?
The general trick is the thrill of having something accomplished, seeing the shit you fought running onscreen.

What math do I even need to make 2D games?

If you will do some sort of RPG shit, you can get away with the four bangers.
But if you want to do a megamanesque game, learning a bit of physics and vectors etc will help you a lot.
Of course, don't forget to crank up the gravity because "realistic gravity" is crap for gameplay.

Great, so I just pick up SDL? What about roguelikes?

>tfw employed programmer
>literally paid to have fun

Same stuff as RPGs. It's mostly conditional logic, optimization etc..
And use SDL2, it has some integrated graphical blitting stuff that are just excelent.

Hey thanks, you're allright

>I get what you mean but wasn't C written to be simple?
Simple. Not easy, a good beginners language or a good language at all.

why do people such so much at picking it up though

the way i see people struggle with something as straight forward as python is astounding

i know second year students who still struggle with basic OOP concepts

Attached: 1518149593686s.jpg (125x90, 3K)

where can i find a bunch of exercices to do in python?

trying to learn by myself pls be gentle bronons

Attached: a_ov_Pepe_160928.jpg (1920x1080, 114K)

terrible post.
print("python")
PRINT "quickbasic"

If you like math, do projecteuler.net/archives

If you like puzzles , do adventofcode.com/2017/day/24

read Introduction to Algorithms and implement the pseudocode found there. There are also exercises at the end of each chapter of course.

>tfw traditional/digital art is the only thing you find as interesting but there's no such thing as well payed artist

Attached: 1385480418263.gif (320x180, 806K)

>tfw failed calc 3 again 3rd time
Makes me want to kill myself even though 75% of my class failed

Because you don't do boring ass projects like employee management system or some shit as personal projects, thats only univ homework
As personal projects, you can make anything that interests you, maybe a web server, a game, maybe implementing an ftp server, anything basically that has a use

Attached: not_good_enough.png (534x486, 305K)

Stop python syntax is disgusting

Funny thing about hobbies, they're not for everyone. Some people hate coding even if they're good at it, some people love coding even when they're mediocre. The
>le everyone lern 2 code
meme is just a bullshit psyop intended to lower developer salaries

>HOW do you get this shit as a hobby?
By working on something you actually look forward to having.

It's not the work that's fun. It's the end result of all the work that you get to enjoy. It's like wood working. The hours of sanding and cutting and carving is boring as fuck, but in the end you get a nice little whatever the fuck, or a shelf or something.

Sacrifice time to learn more. I was in your shoes but for me it's web development. Once I found out how to make a not to shabby webpage I found it fun.

I can code relatively competently now but was shite at uni. That was because I wasn't practicing on my own and programming is taught really badly in most unis. When the only example of OOP concepts is the tired one of animal -> dog, cat etc and it never goes further than that then programming can seem hard.