Dualbooting

is it retarded to have 2 separate hard drives, one with windows on it for gaming and another one for linux? would it be unstable and shitty? how would i go about doing it anyway?

Attached: nigger.jpg (300x168, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Commander
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's my setup, with windows and arch. Literally the easiest dualboot possible.

that's how mine is set up. just install it to your second drive. occasionally grub wants to be a faggot and not recognize the windows installation if you install windows first.

Just use Windows, Linux a shit for gaming.

You're retarded

Two disks is the easiest, safest(lowest chance of Windows fucking the grub) and most stable way to dual boot

Google it, and follow the instructions.

I run Windows Server 2016 and Ubuntu 17.10 on the same drive.

>install windows
>make room for around 20GB of unallocated space
>boot from linux install media
>create partition and install the linux os to it

Works fine with UEFI's "secureboot" and "fast boot" as well.

no u

That's how I do it. I have 4 OS's on 4 dedicated drives.

I have that. One is a external HDD and has linux on it. I don't wanna deal with any bootlooder problems so this is the easiest method to avoid that.

>giving advice on an OP you didn't read
fuck off, people like you are literal cancer

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm dualbooting with my notebook right now. No problems. Though I partitioned my hard drive. Half Manjaro (for fucking around) and half Windows LTSB (for games). Search videos for it.

it's normal if you use Windows for something (work, games, CAD, etc).

The recommended way to do it is install Windows first and then Linux

Same here, literally GOAT

No, that is the non-retarded way to dual boot.

This

Linux mint and windows 7, just can't believe how well these two OS systems dual boot.

Attached: Robo gun.jpg (1920x1080, 1.43M)

partition != hard drive

It's not retarded. I do this. I have two SSDs, one for Windows LTSB, one for Void. I have my HDDs formatted as NTFS, so I can use them from Windows and Linux.

OP your going to be mostly using windows if you duel boot. I promise it.

Your better off using Linux on a laptop and your gaming desktop use windows.

Attached: 1521773495665.jpg (480x360, 16K)

>Windows Server 2016
Why?

No. Get yourself refind and a pretty theme and its very noice

so he can serve you
SWERVE

That's not how I do it
I have 15 different operating systems on two different machines.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-20 19-36-37.png (976x856, 153K)

I have Linux on a 250gb ssd and windows on 1tb hdd and it works fine. Pretty much the same setup as dualbooting but you don't have to partition between them

What's worst than having a botnet OS?
Having 2 botnet OS.

No, two hard drives is definitely the way to go as long as you aren't relying on bootloader from a single disk. Keep the Windows Loader installed on the Windows disk, then have GRUB on the Linux disk. Use F12 or whatever at boot to use the BIOS firmware to select your desired disk. Windows updates will never delete GRUB, and Linux updates will never fuck with the Windows Loader.

You could also put GRUB on a flash drive or something that acts as dedicated bootloader disk, which would boot the OS from one of two hard disks. You could set the flash drive as the main boot disk in the BIOS so you don't have to press F12 every boot. This is really only ideal for desktops if you do it.

>I use my computers only as toys
Fucking idiot.

What's worse than a botnet OS? Botnot x86 hardware, that's what. Look up the Intel ME and AMD PSP, you mouth breather.

Huh, I have them on separate hard drives and I still use GRUB

no its not retarded. i just did this like two days ago. have xubuntu on my main ssd, and i installed win 7 on a spare HD i had laying around so i could play far cry 5. best option overall because you don't have to dual boot on one drive and deal with grub bullshit.

>Having to completely shut down the OS just to log into Linux/Windows

Seems like too much of a hassle.

I think I once had 7 OS's on a single computer using System Commander and Partition Magic.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Commander
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic

you can use hibernate as well

The point is that if I have a bunch of Windows only software running in the background, I'd have to shut all those down just to use whatever shit I wanted on Linux.

VM's are obviously the better solution, but I just don't see any reason for even using a linux distro in a VM unless I was running a server.

Why no ReactOS?

Attached: ben_carson.jpg (669x669, 190K)

What do you even want to use linux for? If it doesn't require a lot of resources then just put Arch on an USB stick and boot from that when needed. Dual boot is a retarded waste of space for most people.

Yes. It's retarded to still be using windows.

Dualboot is fine. Segregating drives is a good way to do it, but you will have to learn to setup grub so that you get a boot menu. Generally, set your bios to boot from your linux disk and grub should present you with the option to boot from the disk of your choice from there.

I have a 1TB hdd with 970 GB for Ubuntu and 30 GB for windows just in case for work and other windows normie shit, but mostly I use ubuntu everyday.

I have windows 10 LSTB which is the version of windows without all the bullshit and metro apps which i s nice and I get like 5 GB back plus using CompactOS, really nice.

Attached: Reaction_Face_020.png (426x364, 13K)

Here is the space used.

Windows is around 7GB and the rest are programs that I use for work.

I resized the ubuntu partition because Gnome is really getting on my nerves its succs all my ram and I want to try other distros.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-21 09-00-01.png (708x207, 20K)

Sure, go for it. I use Linux 99% of the time and boot windows only when that one friend comes along that wants to play overwatch and nothing else

Attached: IMG_20180421_092103.jpg (4608x3456, 3.3M)

It's fine, that's what I did when I was getting into dual-booting.
Nowadays I just split my SSD and have both Windows and Lunix on the same disk.

So your friend comes to your house only to play Overwatch? wow

dual booting with windows is not smart, windows likes to take over hard drives you don't explicitly tell it to

>gaymes
Get a console
Or ditch the onions
Your call

What do you mean?
That makes no sense

can anyone point me to a safe KMSpico download place?

We play together online you dingus