Is Silicon Valley a tech-accurate TV series? Does Jow Forums hate it?

Is Silicon Valley a tech-accurate TV series? Does Jow Forums hate it?

Attached: cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpg (1200x675, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drawntogether.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jew_Producer
scribd.com/doc/228831637/Optimal-Tip-to-Tip-Efficiency
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Semi-accurate

For a show about programmers there sure is very little actual programming references

No, Jow Forums doesn't hate it.

as a medical professional who works in a hospital in Seattle, I imagine that it's similar to how I feel about Gray's Anatomy.

They don't actually talk about medicine or even practice real medicine. When they use a medical plot device it usually is unbelievably unlikely or flat out wrong.
It's all about the drama or comedy.

> very little actual programming references
Because the entire company is based around a compression algo which is more math related than programming it seems. I don't know, it seems unrealistic how good they are. Like in one episode they were knocking out core features in a matter of hours, when in reality it can take up to a week to do some of that shit.

It's interesting to note that the Weissman score is an actual thing now because of the show.

I can't stand the main cast, but the few random episodes I watched (about 3 or 4), their techbabble had some realism to it.

the whole startup things they do are also relatively realistic. the characters are completely unbelievable though, but I guess that's for drama.

>Like in one episode they were knocking out core features in a matter of hours, when in reality it can take up to a week to do some of that shit.

granted, if you have some very talented developers and a lot of luck, you can pump out a shit ton of material in a very short time.

however, you can't do it consistently, and the resulting code isn't spaghetti, it's cotton candy. thus, if you have a more complex bug, everything is pretty much fucked. hence, you can't do it consistently, because sooner or later you will fuck yourself that way, and you'll have to redo it.

Yes
No, we don't hate it, Mr Reddit is the one we hate

Altough the show exagerate things a lot (i.e. how good they are at developing software) As a software developer I must say is very accurate, I mean, they even use scrum in their company

no it's not

Attached: 1524259043361.png (1200x781, 780K)

It's a terrible, unentertaining show

Having been in the startup field for a while I felt the first seasons very relatable. Now it's not as good but still a fun show.

Scrum?

some autistic "software engineering" workflow buzzword. basically autists feel like they have to "program" their workflow like they do computers xD

very accurate. full of aspie faggots that need genocide.

They have sex more than actual software developers.

but none of them had sex outside of the Gilfoyle and Erlich

Absolutely underated

this

because its not about fully programming, never was.

its about the journey of starting a tech start up company, and thats going to involve way more things than just programming. the programming aspect was already covered in S1. no point in making the rest of the seasons about how much they tweaked/improved it.

>because its not about fully programming, never was.
>its about the journey of starting a tech start up company, and thats going to involve way more things than just programming
fuck off Mike, youre dumbass shows getting cancelled
the fact that every episode in the last 3 seasons is about them failing and getting a last minute bail out got old 3 seasons ago, thats not a 'journey", its just bad, boring writing

Yes we do.

Everyone has had sex, even Richard.

Well, except Big Head.

Har!

I prefer this over Mr. Reddit.

Moving to bay area for software engineer position next month
I guess I'll find out and report to you then OP

Chickens vs Pigs
More value earlier in the workflow
keep priorities and focus centralized & controlled
Whole team involved
Good stuff, we use it.

>Weissman score
wow let's combine two useful metrics to create one useless metric

do video streaming companies really use proprietary/custom video compression?
Why wouldn't they just use one of the many, many, many standard compression algos?
This is what I don't understand about this tv show

Common believe magical tech advance will make billon dollar company as using Lisp,Haskell,some advance paper or another nerd stuff.

Fuk u errich bachman

How much will your rent be?

Jared literally fucks

Have you even watched the show?

Attached: PochNuk.png (597x384, 351K)

>standard compression algos?
because the standard isn't good enough. that's the entire reason his company was worth billions. they basically compressed a 1gb file into 100mb, hence the multi-plat 4k streaming being a big deal.

Which user's workstation is this? Own up!

Attached: silicon.valley.s03e02.720p.bluray.x264-demand (0001).png (1280x720, 1.61M)

I see you're running gnome

I think mr robot was more realistic in their setup.

I mean look at this shit.
Does he really need all that?

Attached: asda.png (1280x720, 1.97M)

i know people like this. also those tiny disorganized windows everywhere make me rage

>as a medical professional
>to how I feel about Gray's Anatomy
Proof that people that go into medicine are fucking narcissists

Iirc that setup was intentionally to waste money because he was in a dick waving competition

I loved the first few seasons, but the whole show is pretty much the same story told in different ways and now the story is getting a bit boring.

You do realize that this show is parodying actual developers right?

$1.5k downtown

I have a low opinion of GNU/Pied Piper
By calling the software just Pied Piper theyre treating me and my organization disrespectfully
Besides Pied Piper is proprietary software that restricts users freedoms
There are no ports for GNU/Linux and I wouldnt recommend using it because of the fact mentioned above

Attached: images (7).jpg (194x259, 5K)

>Congrats on getting funded user, come for a swim?

Attached: 0Nu5iGP.jpg (1200x1803, 109K)

>I loved the first few seasons, but the whole show is pretty much the same story told in different ways and now the story is getting a bit boring.
Walking Dead Syndrome

>Is Silicon Valley a tech-accurate TV series?
No
>Does Jow Forums hate it?
No

It's a humors series based o the gold rush of the new bubble. It doesn't need accuracy at all.

TIGHT

You can say the same about house and scrubs.

Pretty much all tv is the same day time drama script with different professions, super heros, random plot points

No thanks you chestlet.

>the fact that every episode in the last 3 seasons is about them failing and getting a last minute bail out got old 3 seasons ago, thats not a 'journey", its just bad, boring writing
just so (you) know user, I'm going to steal this and use it whenever normies start talking about tv

somewhat related: Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect
>You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
>In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

Yup, first season was alright, afterwards it got progressively more bazinga.

>every episode in the last 3 seasons is about them failing and getting a last minute bail out got old 3 seasons ago, thats not a 'journey", its just bad, boring writing
yuup
are we up to season 4, or were there actually bearable episodes after the first one?

I just found out that season 5 started a few weeks ago. Anybody know how it is without Miller?

jing wangs character is pretty pointless now.

It depends man. Sometimes you sit down and knock something real complex out in one sitting, then you look at it a month later and think "how the fuck did that not take me a week"

>watching jew media

you need to go back

drawntogether.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jew_Producer

>He would appear to be the in-show representation of creators Dave Jeser and Matt Silverstein, both of whom are also Jewish.
kek

all of them.

I work as a web dev and to me they get enough things right not to make me mad. It's a lot closer to reality than most shows or movies.

> when you don't work in tech but just have to share your retarded opinion about working in tech

>Is Silicon Valley a tech-accurate TV series?

Eh, it takes some liberties but it's trying harder to nail the culture than the tech itself.

It's ultimately more about creating funny/dramatic situations in a tech setting.

Most of the time when it goes near tech it does it *well enough* to not kill suspension of disbelief unless you're being super anal about it.

don't you like your girls to look like boys?

Not many comedy shows result in a mathematics paper being published
>Optimal Tip-To-Tip Efficiency: A Model For Male Audience Stimulation
scribd.com/doc/228831637/Optimal-Tip-to-Tip-Efficiency

>One of the engineers almost got into a physical confrontation over the usage of spaces instead of tabs

I mean..does it actually matter? You can setup a hotkey that converts spaces into tabs and vice versa.

>watching TV
you sedated, sit-still faggot