/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/ (currently not working, possibly indefinitely)
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

feedback.aliexpress.com/display/detail.htm?ownerMemberId=klqoyKYDbEsfeHswjtM2CQ==&memberType=buyer
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=125828&p=815920&hilit=script 35W#p815920
github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/i3bgmanager
engadget.com/2013/02/11/lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-2-review/
gist.github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/634b04b67d6e73a1fca21fa697ab4b14
amazon.com/Thinkpad-Ultrabay-9-5MM-Blu-ray-Burner/dp/B002L2K280
github.com/corna/me_cleaner
youtu.be/wsmHmYxyoxg?t=30m9s
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA74W7483&cm_re=thinkpad_x230-_-9SIA5HA74W7483-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

coming over from the previous thread:
Anyone had experience with these knockoff non-s T420/T430 FHD kits sold on ebay?
do they actually work?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1000x750, 55K)

Man, fuck yo thumbnail.

Also, where that nigga with the 1080p IPS T420?
This brotha got a question for you .

Attached: fleece_400x400.jpg (400x400, 17K)

for me it's the x201i
i want one for my t430 but i don't know if it's worth it. i have the alienware screen on it and it works fine for chinese cartoons.
apparently there's flickering issues with 1080p screens on t430?

Attached: IMG_0292.jpg (2268x3024, 963K)

iirc, someone did buy a knock off and had it work well.
That one you have posted looks like the mobo cable is long enough to where that chip will be seated behind your LCD, and short to where it will be placed on the motherboard.

But I personally never bought a kit for the T420 only the T430s, so I don't know if that grey cable is long enoug... although it looks like it is from referencing with OEM T420 LCD cables.

only old ones had that problem due to the placement of the kit.

Attached: justsomecrap.jpg (3000x2002, 591K)

reposting get them on aliexpress for a cheaper and faster shipping-included solution (ebay can't list AliExpress Shipping and usually won't include ePacket as well)
One of the reviewer on aliexpress posts on thinkpads forum and describes that is still flickers
>during charge with 90W adapter, just like javi-jie's original adapter. use 65W adapter or reduce charge rate SLIGHTLY in software and it should never flicker (ive been using it a week now, with a script to inhibit-charge when rate gets above 35W, and it hasnt flickered once) -screen (AUO B140HAN01.1) is absolutely gorgeous -small amount of backlight bleed from slight screen bend (board goes behind LCD).

>feedback.aliexpress.com/display/detail.htm?ownerMemberId=klqoyKYDbEsfeHswjtM2CQ==&memberType=buyer
>forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=125828&p=815920&hilit=script 35W#p815920

Personally, I'd avoid placing it behind the screen, EMI/EMF interferences are not board-related but connector/cable related. I anything, shield a little more that area (but likely, it won't help unless you're doing it professionally)

all x201 family best x series

My X220's HD just died and I put a SSHD i had lying around. But the drive isn't recognized. What shoud I do?
I'm already using AHCI amd UEFI.

Just mostly finished installing debian sid on my t440p. The touchpad is actually as awful as everyone claimed, but I'm a lot happier with the 1600x900 resolution than I thought I'd be.
We'll see if the machine holds up over the coming months, but this is a pretty promising first day.

Attached: neofetch-2018-04-20-09-11-38-2857.png (1600x900, 134K)

lenovo, it's time to kill 16:9 laptop screens

Who cares about the screen, I only want the old keyboard back.

nice bar

It's just the stock polybar with some modules removed, some changed colors/fonts, and some font-awesome icons. Nothing crazy, but I'll throw it up on pastebin in a couple hours if you really want it since it's not in my dotfiles repo yet.
The workspace-renaming thingy is easily found on google if you want that, it's nothing special.
It's not obvious, but I wrote a hacky python3 script that rotates out the wallpaper based on the active workspace, and even works across two monitors (so each monitor has the proper wallpaper for its respective active workspace). Pretty neat if you use i3-gaps like I do and keep track of the active workspace by the color of the wallpaper: github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/i3bgmanager

Id love to take a look, im new to it, bookmarked your page

damn, thanks dude. I'll probably get one in the nearest future then seeing how the original board designer has closed down his shop for non-s models

>W540
>3k IPS
>i7 4900MQ
>32 GB DDR3 ram
>Nvidia Quadro 2100M dGPU
>DVD R/W optical drive
>$500
Aside from it being a nupad, did I do good /tpg/? It's missing the charger and hard drive, but I can grab those elsewhere.

Just tried to tighten the screen on my X230T so it wouldn't rotate too much (spolier, it didn't work), and now I need screw covers for the front and side screws. Does anyone know where I can get some?

x201 owner here
only regret is not getting the x200 for all the libreboot memes

Change the trackpad, get an SSD and you're good to go
Try eBay and Aliexpress.

is there any linux firmware for batteries? I heard someone talking about it in one thread a while ago.

Attached: Capture.png (768x1366, 89K)

Attached: Capture1.png (768x1366, 919K)

?

What's a good program for taking notes with a pen on a thinkpad? Are you supposed to just use krita ?

engadget.com/2013/02/11/lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-2-review/

mspaint
paint.net

Pretty well m8
Considering W530's still get sold for $500, even $600 to some, you did a damn good deal. Nice nab on the 3K display, def that laptop is worth $1000 with all that still.

as the other user said, clickpad swap and mSATA SSD, dunno if they can use NVMe.

Attached: 1398046522678.jpg (272x248, 57K)

>atom
>32-bit

gist.github.com/DangerOnTheRanger/634b04b67d6e73a1fca21fa697ab4b14
There's a lot of commented-out stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work verbatim on any system but mine, but have at it, user.

i want to KISS this user

Thank you, il try it out for funsies

No prob. Installing the jura/fontawesome fonts and possibly changing the interface for the wlan module (I have no idea why it's not the regular wlan0 under my system) should get it more or less up and running how I have it. The workspace icon trick still needs the script I alluded to earlier, though; that's not provided by polybar.

Tomorrow I'll pickup the replacement touchpad for my T440p and report the results to you user.
Hopefully you will end buying it too.

Appreciate it. I'm not afraid of the price (30 smackers on ebay, pretty cheap if you ask me), but I'll admit I've never modded a laptop before, so knowing how smooth the process is would be nice.
I still intend on upgrading the screen to a FHD IPS panel as well, but the HD+ panel is more than good enough for now, I think.

Which are the Blu-Ray playback options on a T420?

An ultrabay blu-ray player, like this:

amazon.com/Thinkpad-Ultrabay-9-5MM-Blu-ray-Burner/dp/B002L2K280

I think the 420 is bigger than 9.5mm, can't remember off the top of my head. 12mm? maybe.

what do you lads think of the T43?

It makes a good writing machine

Is an Acer Extensa 5230 a ThinkPad?

What's the recommended backlight version of the T440p keyboard?

Been reading these kind of threads for a while and bought myself a W541, very good machine. Planning on upgrading the RAM and SSD, very pleased with it so far.

Glad this place exists

On a side note, which T series for just daily use? The w541 is pretty damn heavy lol
Would like to use it for : Word, Excel, browsing

Attached: tlp6uxhw5sr01.jpg (389x540, 52K)

>funsies

I just put a T7400 in my formerly 32bit T60.

Attached: IMG_20180421_012710.jpg (2448x3264, 2.93M)

fucking nice my t60 comes next week gonna be mostly using it for music and scripting/prog
clover runs good?

Yeah, it's fast.

Attached: 1513795568129.gif (568x320, 539K)

Why does my T420 overheat after 10 minutes of a Jewtube video such that I can't even browse this site without retarded delay? Linux, nothing but Watefox and pavucontrol is running.

T420 here. Had been lagging ever since the Spectre update, but might not be that. Have an msata and 8gigs of memory. Runs win7.

Anyone have experience like this?

clean and repaste

I repasted it a year ago and it's not dusty. Is this really some annual shit?

check it anyways. if it's solid you're fucked

the reddit thread where a guy was having flicker problems on his t430 also mentioned he had a 45w quad core fed by a 135w ac adapter. corroborates. 65w ac + 35w cpu appears to not fuck things up

being said the alienware is probably good enough for anime/shitposting (if you can actually find the legit panel), cheaper, with no risk of flicker at all no matter what dumb cpu you crammed in there

Dubs confirm GOAT nupad deal

What is the grey/orange cord that runs along the left side of the bezel and over the motherboard? Mine got cut, monitor has no output, what do?

I have another thinkpad for parts I can try stuff with

will an x230 cpu fan fit an x220?

Does anyone here have any experience with the ThinkPad 13?

I need help.
I can't choose between the x1 yoga or x380 yoga.

whats the main difference between coreboot and libreboot?

i know that T420 is not libreboot compatible but is working with coreboot.

whats the thing with the management engine, if i flash coreboot will it disable it?

or the only safe model is the core 2 duos

>whats the main difference between coreboot and libreboot?
Libreboot is coreboot without the binary blobs.
>whats the thing with the management engine, if i flash coreboot will it disable it?
You can disable and remove most of it if you use coreboot + me_cleaner.
github.com/corna/me_cleaner

Is $250 AUD a good price for a T430s?

I currently have an X220 and want to eventually upgrade to a P50 or P70.

How reasonable is it to continue using an X220. Are thinkbros still going to be using it in 2020?

Attached: thinkanime.jpg (4160x2336, 2.04M)

>github.com/corna/me_cleaner

thanks for the answer. so if i get this right, coreboot + me_cleaner is not 100% clean, but its basically safe enough?

I'm hesitating between an X220 for 170€ and a t420 for 179€. Both 4Go RAM, and X220 got an SSD.

I would mostly use it for programming.

I want a 4:3 qt Thinkpad that's bigger than X60 so I'm looking at T6_(p). I see that T61(p) has only 14.1" 4:3 option and is also lower res than T60(p).
1) Is T61(p) significantly faster?
2) Would it be possible to shovel a T61(p) motherboard into 15" T60(p)? I suppose not since 4:3 T61(p) is only 14.1" and bigger ones are only widescreen.
3) If I want a nice display should I look for the right model of T60p or just get a nice display and mod it? How hard would it be to find a nice 15" or 14.1" 4:3 display (that could be fitted inside T6_(p)) nowadays? Which T60p panel is the nicest (AFFS, IPS)?
4) Is it right that T60(p) may have up to 4GB of RAM while T61(p) up to 8GB?

Oh, also
5) Is it possible to do something about broken GPU? Replace it? I often see cheap offers with broken GPU.

Both are good, its down to personal preferences

Yes, me_cleaner removes most of the management engine including the kernel and the network stack so it can't do much after that.
You can watch this presentation where the autor explains how it works youtu.be/wsmHmYxyoxg?t=30m9s

T61p can take 8gb of ram. Nvidia GPU is also a constant 60 degree dumpster fire, even when idle.

I'd like to ask opinions on the x240. Is it really that bad? What I desire is a laptop that's lightweight and has a modern processor. A substandard keyboard doesn't bother me too much.

>Nvidia GPU is also a constant 60 degree dumpster fire, even when idle.
So I suppose T61(p) isn't that much of an improvement. ATI GPUs are the ones that often end up dead though?

T61p made before 08/08 is supposed to have a very failure prone GPU. that being said, I think all of the units that were going to fail would have failed by now. I've got a T60 and T61p (ATI and Nvidia respectively) and neither of them have dead GPUs. my T40's GPU is dead, but that's because of motherboard flex resolved in the T60 and onwards.

>seller misspells everything in title
>auction gets noticed only 10 minutes before its end
What seems a T430 (wrongly referenced as "t 43 0") thinkpad (wrongly referenced as "TinkPad") sold for 10.50€ + ~7€ in shipping costs
from the photos it seems an A grade (the trackpad needs a new sticker but that's it) 1600x900 it seems, it boots to some windows 7, she is a 65 yo woman selling old stuff left by her husband or something
inb4 she sent me rubbish
I actually offered to check it for her once I receive the item, I promised to paypal her additional 25€ if it's decent
the reference price is something something 130€ for such an item here

>How reasonable is it to continue using an X220. Are thinkbros still going to be using it in 2020?
i don't see no reason to upgrade soon. does the job.

For the same price would you rather go for a T420 or a T430/T430s?

T430>T420>T430s
then again, it all boils down to your needs and perks
T430 is an overall better machine
T420 arrives with the classic keyboard
T430s is slimmer
pick your poison
The holy grail IMHO is an Ivy Bridge-enabled via coreboot T420, with a complimentary Ivy Bridge i7 QM
But the processor alone will cost you more than the T420 actually
You'll eventually only lack USB 3.0
If you can get at least a i5 Ivy Bridge CPU+T420 combo for the T430 price and you aren't afraid of coreboot, I'd rather go for the T420

>tech-illiterate boomer woman

You've lucked out, user. See if there's anything else kicking around you can buy for literal pennies on the dollar

Yeah frankly the reason I'm hesitating is because the t420 does have a Sandy Bridge but the battery is 9c, it got Nvidia Optimus, also an optical drive (that the t430 doesn't have).

Why do you put the T430s? Is it because of the battery? I heard it was less powerful.

*Why do you put it last, damn it.

Get that 420!

You can always upgrade the CPU later if you need it.

>it got Nvidia Optimus
discarded
dGPU on these is a meme and a hazard
in my book it's a minus, not a plus
then again, to each his own
>also an optical drive (that the t430 doesn't have).
Why, has it been removed? Also, do you really need it? An SSD fits nicely in Ultrabay
the weight is similar to the T430 and it's barely slimmer, for the same price I'd rather go for an option that enables me to use an Ultrabay and which is carbon-fiber reinforced on the bottom too
also, CPU can't be upgraded

not that guy, but S models tend to have slightly worse build quality and non-cylindrical batteries. Also, thermal performance is worse.

Dayum nic, put in a nice SSD with a HDD in the DVD drive and you will never need anything else.

I had a T420s, then I got a X230 and I just love the format.
I can watch animu in bed, take my X230 everywhere.
You can put in a second 2,5''HDD or SSD with a T420 tho, so yeah.
Like the other user said, it's down to personal preferences.

So I'm thinking of copping this x230:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5HA74W7483&cm_re=thinkpad_x230-_-9SIA5HA74W7483-_-Product

Yes? No? And is there anyway to tell which screen this has?

Or he could just buy a t430 and swap the keyboard with a classic one. He could also mod it to have a nice FHD or 2K screen later on. Seems like the superior choice IMHO. But yeah he would have to do a lot of work to build that t430 but if he is willing to do it, its better to buy a t430.

well, it may be argued that the same screen upgrades are available for T420 as well, and the keyboard swap it's frowned upon by perfectionists (two key combinations won't work even if you reflash for a 7-rows keyboard and you'll have to... makeshift here and there to actually fit the keyboard)

I've asked before but I'll ask again
- 14/15.6" screen, TN or IPS (willing to mod)
- min 1600x900, max 1920x1080
- 3hrs+ Battery Life
- dGPU that's decent for laptop gaming, CPU with iGPU if I can switch when not using dGPU
- Budget: 400-650$CAD.
- Reliable with available parts to replace if shit fucks up.

Thanks

Attached: fragezeichenkäfer.jpg (466x361, 38K)

Thank you very much to the kind anons who gave their opinions on the T420 vs T430, I unexpectedly found a better offer for the T430 so I'm going to go for this.

>laptop gaymen
>dGPU when eGPU is a better option
you make me sick

Attached: 1521009276053.gif (500x271, 353K)

If it's going to be your main computer the T420.

x200s (146,77$) or t420 (187,53$)?

overpriced, then again who knows where you are, given those fancy prices
without further specs (disks, screens, batteries) and your usage case it's difficult to make an educated guess
the x200s is waaaay overpriced

>eGPU
Sure, let me just haul my fucking eGPU and PSU with me on any trip I go on.

Fucking eGPU eDiots, you make me sick.

>t420
14" HD 1366x768 TN
Intel core i5 2520m vPro 2,5GHz x4
4Gb ram
intel HD 3000
320Gb

Attached: 4340083986.jpg (360x480, 50K)

At this price point this is pretty much impossible, mobile gpus age incredibly quickly and the difference between each gen of mobile gpus is gigantic unlike cpus, and you're not getting a pascal dgpu thinkpad at that price.
I completely agree, egpus are a waste of time. What I do myself is gamestreaming from desktop gaming pc to my laptop, provided internet connection is good on both sides it's suprisingly good, wouldn't use it for fps or anything online, but I mostly play turn based strategies so it's perfect in my use case.

you don't need a discrete GPU "on the go", period. Get a desktop or an eGPU if the thinkpad is going to be your only machine.

>avito
Russian?