Year of the OpenBSD desktop when?

Year of the OpenBSD desktop when?

Attached: images.jpg (228x221, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

privatebin.net/?4c0fb59e63e8271e#irS3KFaEdtuFxsVM4xzQ4/llXLhSz0oZLV9WuOEUHBc=
informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html
man.openbsd.org/ifconfig#IEEE_802.11_(WIRELESS_DEVICES)
man.openbsd.org/fw_update
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=135904204217070&w=2,
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Never it's not meant to do that and besides the permissive licenses gave us Mac OS.

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

This has been posted here like 256093i90423 times already.

You do know what pasta is, right?

Attached: pussy.png (700x3000, 266K)

wrong on all counts

Get rid if the botnet in the ports already.

An Italian dish?

When Theo care about desktop

Hopefully never. Keep all the dumb fuck undergrads and SJW trash on Linux, at least that way OpenBSD won't be growing by 1M buggy lines a month.

Last year.

This guy gets it.

What about FreeBSD?

better as a desktop/laptop on all accounts

FreeBSD is DEPRECATED. Replace with OpenBSD.

Just why? You can run less software on less hardware than linux. And the software you can run has linux ports as well.

If I prefer the OS and can run all the software I need then why wouldn't I use it?

I've been looking through some of the source code for some of the coreutils and I have to say the documentation alone is top notch.

It's actually been a pleasure going through the code and being able to look up man pages that are actually helpful to understanding.

Also the code for rm is way different between GNU and OpenBSD, it's kind of interesting.

that's cause GNU versions of system tools all decided to diverge from 4.2BSD versions of known tools for $fuckall_reasons, and add a bunch of useless and non-intuitive argument flags to everything.

>$fuckall_reasons
EEE. Same reason Microsoft did it. GNU won with the same tactic in its space.

why not netbsd?

No. Not even remotely close.
FreeBSD developers all use Macs. FreeBSD is only good as a server/appliane OS.

OpenBSD developers all run OpenBSD on their laptops (and, in fact, everywhere). It's slow, it's missing support for new hardware and standards, but generally it works very well.

why not netbsd?

why not netbsd?

and how many committers do you know personally? All of the ones i talk with daily, all run freeBSD laptops full time.

> OpenBSD developers all run OpenBSD on their laptops
Won't disagree there, but it doesn't have any of the tooling needed for my job, so I don't run it.

Attached: freebsd-developers-are-mac-fags.jpg (1024x681, 286K)

>that resolution
>jpg
STOP BEING A FUCKING FAILURE

Attached: freebsd-foundation-are-mac-fags.jpg (780x438, 59K)

It's kinda shitty that we have GNU operating in parallel to make the same tools...

what about netbsd?

what about netbsd?

yea... worst ones I hit daily are sed(1) and make(1). Re-inventing the wheel, millions of lines of code at a time

I like this pasta. Someone should update the standards compliance part though because IIRC OpenBSD added non-standard functions to their libc in the form of the strl* functions.

what about netbsd?

what about netbsd?

what about netbsd?

I don't know, what about netbsd?

>All of the ones i talk with daily, all run freeBSD laptops full time.
well great for them, but just look at all the instances of
>Apple Mail
in here for example:
privatebin.net/?4c0fb59e63e8271e#irS3KFaEdtuFxsVM4xzQ4/llXLhSz0oZLV9WuOEUHBc=

is it still pasta when only single person posts it?

3018. Watch out, it's coming.

FUCK OFF SHILL ENOUGH OF YOUR SPAM

DragonFlyBSD or nothing.

informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html

Try never?

>Be as politics-free as possible; solutions should be decided on the basis of technical merit.

Can't say that about systemd or freebsd now can you?

Say few nice things about FreeBSD.

The logo is cooler than a penguin.

>The logo is cooler than a penguin.
Pre FreeBSD 5.x or current?

Beastie, not the dumb glass globe with horns.

>Beastie,
They seem to be no longer using it anywhere (for some reason).

FreeBSD developers
>most of them use macs
>they don't use the software they develop, so desktop will always be unpolished crap

Meanwhile OpenBSD developers
>mostly ThinkPads
>use the OS they develop as their daily driver on their personal computers

Attached: P1020598.jpg (3648x2736, 3.17M)

Oddly enough, freeBSD laptop works smoother for my x61 than openBSD does.

t. freeBSD VM is faster on windows

why not netbsd instead of openbsd?

>"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"

the sad thing is this isn't even true. BSD fags added their own incompatible retarded bullshit, some directly against gnu extensions. bsd's are gay.

Doesn't Dragonfly only run on x86? What if I want to run it on POWER or SPARC?

This is why I like Debian, Gentoo, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and to a lesser extent, FreeBSD

What about NetBSD?

Have you tried NetBSD?

Leave Asians alone!

What do you mean by this?

i guess is he means that japanese computer scientists love netbsd for some reason

True white people use FreeBSD.

They need more diversity. Too many white people.

Why OpenBSD is so slow at everything?

Complete garbage, doesn’t even support 99% of the wireless cards

This is one of the dumbest arguments I see regularly. You're on a technology board and you're afraid of swapping an mPCIe card? I mean shit, even then you can just buy one of those tiny USB adapters and leave it plugged in.

I like OpenBSD, except for several points:
1) can't add WPA2 connections without a flaky hack
2) old Firefox in official repo (version 56 AFAIK. Ports has newer verson I think)
3) no easy way to view storage devices like with lsblk. Mounting is a pain in the ass

*WPA2 Enterprise

I am the whitest person in this thread and I use Debian.

On a side note, do any or all of the BSD installers recognize Linux partitions? What filesystem do they all use anyway? They dont use ext4 right?

FireFox has been gradually getting worse and worse. Id rather have as old a version as possible in the repos

Yes you’re right. But the point I’m making is that it’s only going to be year of BSD when it becomes far easier for normies to use.

BSDs use the Unix File System (UFS).
FreeBSD also supports ZFS, and DragonFly have their own advanced file system called HAMMER (now in version 2).

FreeBSD use UFS2. I wonder what is the difference. OpenBSD use FFS, which funnily isn't fast. Always do a fsck after a power failure. Never used NetBSD, but one of my buddy use it as a file/webserver and based on him it's kinda reliable. BSD barely support ext filesystems due the licensing autismo.

>BSD barely support ext filesystems due the licensing autismo.
Hmm, care to elaborate?

>can't make a module due GPL butthurt
>still can use a whole linux kernel as a compatibility layer for userspace applications

Is this pasta

>Year of the OpenBSD desktop when?
It's alright on every PlayStation branded item since the PS3..

Yes. Partially true.

That's FreeBSD

huh? i updated openbsd and ended up with quantum

DEPRECATED

never because the main dev is a complete autist

Never if only because your logo has nigger lips. People really don't like niggers.

Does OpenBSD have wpa_supplicant in the base system?
I'm thinking of installing it at uni, but w/o wpa_supplicant I can't install any packages, since I don't have anywhere to connect my x220 via ethernet here.

Attached: 14b5bf8de623aef0e34dc3fd81c0228c4bdc43be194c58855c503579806acb69.jpg (1600x1132, 1.11M)

If it's a stock wireless card in your x220, no. You'll have to either download wireless firmware from another source or hardwire to update firmware for wireless.

So it comes with wpa_supplicant and all I need is firmware?

man.openbsd.org/ifconfig#IEEE_802.11_(WIRELESS_DEVICES)

man.openbsd.org/fw_update

damn dude, you're in fuckin university? are you cs

I'm EE.

Likely not wpa supplicant by default, or your wireless firmware.
Check marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=135904204217070&w=2, as well

Never

thats over 5 years old. wpa is in ifconfig

The japanese prefer bsd to linux for some reason. One of the prominent DragonflyBSD devs is japanese

>>still can use a whole linux kernel as a compatibility layer for userspace applications

... none of them do this

>year of **** desktop
>desktop
>any year past 2010

Holy shit you autistic faggots don't even know you've missed the train by almost a decade. Desktop PCs are strictly for video games and running Windows. OpenBSD? Yeah some forgotten autism shit from 1980 with around 0.0008% of the world using it will have some kind of rise to a platform that shan't exist for much more than playing games.

Does anyone on this board live in modern society? How fucking out of touch and clueless can you be?

>download wireless firmware from another source
the directory is literally in fw_update

openbsd were wifi pioneers. try again shitpotster.

holy shit, is this what mental illness looks like?