Is it better to encode anime in H264 10-bit or H265 10-bit?

Is it better to encode anime in H264 10-bit or H265 10-bit?
I have an 18 core CPU to encode them with and wondering which one is just better in terms of video quality and efficency.

Attached: 1501355919077.png (1015x675, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mattgadient.com/results-encoding-8-bit-video-at-81012-bit-in-handbrake-x264x265/
a.uguu.se/UMQRGIloEww4.png
a.uguu.se/wfaajOrWwTGy.png
a.uguu.se/fJB4GpaDeusZ.png
youtube.com/watch?v=7K8ujE7Z2EY
x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf
x264.nl/x264/10bit_03-422_10_bit_pristine_video_quality.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>encoding anime
>encodes a stupidly popular series that probably has a million encodes already
>using handbrake
If you enjoy wasting electricity, go ahead.

Best font
Best quads

h265 10-bit has HW decoding
h264 10-bit doesn't

Whichever encoding is best supported by your hardware.
Also if you reencode something you always lose quality.

anime website

anime website

you're thinking the other way around, though i thought hvec was supported in newer nvidia cards?

Unlike the x264, there's no point in using 10-bit x265 for better compression, it gives you almost nothing. Just use regular x265 with 'very slow if you can wait long enough.

What world are YOU living in, dude? There is no HW decoding for h264 10bit

x264 and x265 have lossless mode btw.
mattgadient.com/results-encoding-8-bit-video-at-81012-bit-in-handbrake-x264x265/
Play with that page, it's beautiful.
>>using handbrake
Jow Forums uses x265 right from console

Nigga lossless or not you lose quality while RE-ENCODING not after.

You do not lose anything except storage space with lossless reencoding dumb bitch.

There's no such thing as "lossless reencoding".

There's nothing wrong with Handbrake, unless you want to use VP9. It's terribly implemented for some reason.

u dumb af nigga.

*only on nvidia

>anime
>owning 18 core Intlel housefire
>using wangblows
of my board faggot
kys pedotard

Attached: BackToARetard.jpg (680x680, 81K)

>what is Lagarith/HuffYUV

ok just for you:
>decode stream into raw samples (no loss of quality)
>encore with new codec (no loss of quality)
no reencoding

Attached: reddit.png (246x122, 24K)

Anime website desu, if you don't like it:
>>>/reddit/

Attached: 1523616894784.jpg (467x531, 48K)

There is.
If your original format is lossy or lossless doesn't even matter if the format has a deterministic decoder.

It's a pretty crappy idea to reencode though. The artefacts from the original encode tend to be harmful to encoders because as is the nature of encoding the flaws appear where the original encode breaks a pattern (its information that's perceptively random). If there were a pattern to the original data you'd have encoded it more perfectly than what's done with the encode. For lossless compression you ensure that there's no error between the input and output stream. So if you were to encode white noise you're going to grow the size of the file unless your encoder recognizes that its whitenoise and can just copy it.
The error can't be removed.
So lossy > lossy is lossy.
Lossy > lossless is lossy
Lossless > Lossy is obviously lossy
Lossless > Lossless is lossless

Ok technically there are some obscure lossless video formats. But no one uses or supports them for good reason. If you are encoding video that's already been lossily compressed, the lossless compression will actually INCREASE the file size.

The quality loss from modern codecs is also very small. Like people post minute long videos here that fit under the file limit. Without looking like absolute garbage. A single frame of a losslessly compressed image will often not fit under the file limit.

Attached: 1524047482409.png (520x500, 189K)

>anime

Attached: penn.png (180x191, 49K)

H265 12bit

>8bit source
>converts to 10bit
>quality has risen 2 bits
>makes it alk better because the number is higher
>brainlets don't know you can ad bits
>i'm |337 now

Click like and subscribe to be notified when we show you how to encode all ef your old 128kbps MP3 files to higher quality 320kbps MP3 files that we then save as archive quality FLAC to get the maximum potential unlocked. Remember kids! more bits, less glitch!

what if I rip a BD and then just put the shit into a mkv

>brainlet
This is the only part of your bait that could be used to describe it.

Still you took the bait
>autism intensifies

>If you are encoding video that's already been lossily compressed, the lossless compression will actually INCREASE the file size.
Water is fucking wet

okay did a test, which one looks better? They're the same bitrate too.

H265 10-bit:
a.uguu.se/UMQRGIloEww4.png

H265 8-bit:
a.uguu.se/wfaajOrWwTGy.png

they look the same. placebo confirmed

you have bad eyesight then

10-bit preserves lines better in the lower left corner.

My eyesight is normal. Don't have glasses, see near and far very well.

In this and any other mongolian cavepainting cases, it's never worth the hassle and time investment that you're going through. Just watch the damn episodes at whatever quality you can get and enjoy the show for what it is, not how many colo(u)rs a still frame can have.

The 2nd seems to have a bit more artifacting around lines, though the first has plenty as well. Posting the same frame from the source might help too. Is the bitrate low-ish?

this is the raw one, video not encoded or touched, from the bluray.
a.uguu.se/fJB4GpaDeusZ.png

Bitrate was set at 5000 kbps, the source has around 44600 kbps

Not with fucking handbrake presets. Learn to use ffmpeg.

Yeah, so the artifacting isn't from the source and there's some loss of fine detail too. Was this frame in motion or still? I don't make encodes so I don't know how it's done, but if this is a still frame I've definitely seen much cleaner ones and I'd expect something with lots of motion to look significantly worse. If it's already in motion, I suppose it's not so bad. 5000Kbps should be pretty good AFAIK.

H.264 8-bit or H265 10-bit if you want others to play it. I don't think hardware support exists for 10-bit 264, and it does now for 265 (while also being smaller) so there is literally no point to 10-bit 264.

There's literally no 10bit screen to watch it on ffs.

Why would you buy an 18 core CPU and not know what it's good for?

You posted already:

I do, I encode all the 12 episodes or so at the same time, I open up 12 handbrakes and set 1 core 1 hyperthread to each handbrake window

That's what I do.
Fuck all of you guys. Disk space is fucking cheap. Bluray rips or nothing.

>Ok technically there are some obscure lossless video formats. But no one uses or supports them for good reason
H264/H265 have lossless mode you dumb bitch.

You could store 4x the video at almost unnoticeable quality loss by encoding it. I guess if you're super anal with a really expensive setup it's not worth it, but i'd rather a larger library to view on my shitty TV than a smaller library with quality i don't need.

10-bit does serve a purpose even when the source and destination formats are 8 bit (eg, normal blu-ray source and regular LCD TV.) The larger color precision can reduce artifact like banding on soft gradients (eg sky, water) which most people will notice. Not saying it's a big deal, but it DOES help.

>spend hours encoding videos vs $100 for another hard drive here or there
time is money user

Encoding with the more taxing H.265 settings on x265 is better, but it eats your computer's resources like a bitch.

If you aren't going for better settings but some quick GPU-powered encode, you might just as well pick h.264.

BTW, AV1 also is probably also going to eat your processing power, but it may still be the thing you ACTUALLY want to archive your video in. Consider storing lossless encodes for now, if you can.

says the guy who's never seen untouched rips before
The loss in grain and gradient is ridiculous between rips and typical encodes

ISOs don't play right with mpv because the menus are all broken and won't be supported ever.

Hence why downloaded a 8GB encode instead of 40GB blu-ray source makes sense.

Just remux to a mkv, it doesn't have to be a full BR image.

>thinking I was talking about autismo DVD standards
Only thing that matters is the video (and audio) stream.
I do rip all streams, even the worthless 5 second preview cuts though.

Still waiting on being able to rip 4K BDs. Shin Godzilla's been waiting for a while. No hardware, no software. Ridiculous situation.

I'm not saying it's unnoticeable, which is why i qualified with "almost", it's just not a big difference - we're not talking about 700MB xvid encodes here.

Fuck off daiz

Are people on Jow Forums actually retarded?

Nope he's correct: h265 10bit is STANDARDIZED and can be played by recent tvs, blue ray players and mobile devices.
h264 10bit can be played in Software

can someone redpill me on the technique used to interpolate animation from 24 fps to 60 with some tool
youtube.com/watch?v=7K8ujE7Z2EY

x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf

x264.nl/x264/10bit_03-422_10_bit_pristine_video_quality.pdf

What about audio? What codec do you use with it? I've heard it has bad AAC options.

doesn't handbrake have fdk aac?
faac a shit

AAC is fine but make sure you're using qaac

Yeah problem is QAAC was removed from Handbrake and you need to go through hoops to activate and compile it.

Just download the binaries

you just reinvented remuxes

there are some retards that uploaded anime in nyaa with this format. i wonder if they have anything better to do.

Honest thoughts on VCB-Studio - www.vcb-s.com?

If you have to ask, it won't make any difference.

Daily reminder that unless you have a monitor able to display 10bit colors there is absolutely no advantage in consuming 10bit media.

Attached: if_you_believe_it_will-1.jpg (900x450, 19K)

This

less banding in my experience
though it doesn't seem to make sense, but it's so visible it can't be placebo
anybody can explain this voodoo magic?

Attached: e9d.jpg (600x600, 16K)

If you make transformations using the 10bit media then at the end convert it to 8bit for display you might get less banding. That's why I made sure to specify "consuming 10bit media" instead of "working with 10bit media".

waifu2x photoshop extension when?

Higher efficiency due to the higher internal precision and less rounding errors, so it compresses better regardless of the output device.

>There's nothing wrong with Handbrake
>color bleeding fucking everywhere
>"nothing wrong"

The binaries don't have QAAC support.

Never because Windows and amd/Intel have shit support for neural nets.

gib ffmpeg 4.0 windows build you fucks

not you thread, the windows build site like come on

Chinese can't into encoding.

Why not? What's wrong with VCB?

You are right that QAAC would be better than FDK but it's meaningless anyway, since OPUS is a new hotness and should be used for everything unless you want lossless audio.

Why wouldn't you want lossless audio?

I remember seeing comparison shots of H264 vs. H265 and H264 almost always looked better. Have the codecs improved since then?

H265 isn't gaining traction like it wanted and AV1 is revving up to shit all over it.

I do think it's time we get something new though.
I want muh 100MB 720p budget encodes.

For the same reason you usually wouldn't want lossless video.

Autism?

Video encoding is such a shitshow, download shotcut to cut a bit off a mp4, it can't directly save it, instead telling you they won't ever implement it and you should go get vdub. Install vdub and that garbage can't open mp4. So now you need to download more shit to make this garbage work, fucking hell.

Attached: 1520903702391.jpg (1274x720, 97K)

Those shots were probably compressed too much. H265 was always better than H264 but it has its limits.

AV1 won't be usable at last for another several months because encoder still didn't see any optimization and it's dramatically slow.

Your problem is probably located between the monitor and the chair.
Also, you can't just directly save your cut because current video formats use much more complicated bitstream than old ones. Deal with it or use Xvid.

>inb4 gimp implementation

>blame user for shit software

It's the freetard way!

Attached: 1522163581225.png (981x539, 720K)

speaking of anime

crunchyroll still requires fucking flash on their website

So you claim all modern video standards are shitty software?

H264 for compatibility
H256 if you'll only watch on computer.

>H256
Whoa grandpa

>3
first one by far