Installing Gentoo: Day4

> Finally Installed Gentoo
> Will now set up X and dwm and all my shit
> Wifi driver not detected (probably missing a kernel module )

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/
distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/stage3-amd64-$builddate.tar.xz
liquorix.net/sources/4.9/config.amd64
audioforyou.anisource.net/?p=1181
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please unsubscribe me from your blog

Fuck off with this shit. It takes like 20 minutes to install Gentoo, there's no way it should take 4 days.

>>>medium.com

How do I recompile my kernel?

>i live in my imagination

These threads are comfy as fuck. Reminds me of the FE and SMT playthrough threads we used to have on /v/

> Day 4
I think the first time I installed Gentoo I was at where you are at now in about 4 hours, and stage1 [recompiling the compiler and all tools, some things twice] was still a commonly used thing over stage3, plus computers and their storage were much weaker > 10 years ago.

> Wifi driver not detected (probably missing a kernel module )
Could also be firmware? Start with lspci -k / hwinfo on whatever on the live you are using and identify the driver.

I honestly do not see what these pieces of shit have against my thread/blog.

On gentoo? Try "genkernel --menuconfig all" or have a look at genkernel's man page.

Then use grub-mkconfig to generate the grub entry if you need one.

I used the T420 kernel config in the wiki but I just ran trough it so it is possible that I missed something. I wanna compile a bloated kernel with genkernel and then have a second kernel that I will rice. How do I do this?

>Using genkernel ever
Biggest mistake one could make really

mount /dev/sda1 gentoo

cd gentoo
builddate=$(curl -s distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/ | sed -nr 's/.*href="stage3-amd64-([0-9].*).tar.xz">.*/\1/p')
wget distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/stage3-amd64-$builddate.tar.xz
tar pxf stage3*
rm stage3*

cp /etc/resolv.conf etc
mount -t proc none proc
mount --rbind /dev dev
mount --rbind /sys sys

cat > /etc/portage/make.conf

emerge gentoo-sources genkernel
wget liquorix.net/sources/4.9/config.amd64
genkernel --kernel-config=config.amd64 all

emerge grub dhcpcd
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
rc-update add dhcpcd default

echo "root:$rootpassword" | chpasswd
useradd $user
echo "$user:$userpassword" | chpasswd
gpasswd -a $user wheel

exit

EOF

reboot

> I wanna compile a bloated kernel with genkernel and then have a second kernel that I will rice. How do I do this?
Rice how? If you just want to select options in menuconfig, I just gave you the parameter that does that.

There are parameters like --appendname that let you install the same kernel version twice without overwriting, or you could take a con kolivas or whatever patched kernel... not that I personally do that, I'm doing greg kroahs linux-stable.

On the slim chance that you know something that I don't: Why?

>comfy
fuck off retard

if you installed iwlwifi as a module , then you need to enable the module in order to use it. No kernel reconfiguration required.
If you do need to reconfigure your kernel follow the 'kernel upgrade' gentoo wiki entry but redo menuconfig before recompiling. Remember to mount /boot again before reinstalling your kernel.

So I need to boot form the live CD before reinstalling the kernel right?

That chance is indeed very slim. Either way, have a list of bad things:
>bloated kernel
>automatic config often doesn't catch required modules, e.g. NVMe for the disk with the rootfs
>cleans the kernel build directory by default, reconfiguring takes way longer
>default config requires an initramfs
>initramfs is super bloated by default
Notice I said default a lot there. All of this can be changed, but at that point building the kernel directly is way easier.

> Finally Installed Gentoo
> Had a problem
> Resolved a problem without creating a thread to bitch about it

I am not bitching about it. I am just showing my progress. I know you would rather be talking about Apple Iphones and Graphics driver benchmarks for your vydia you don't have to post on this thread if you don't want to

Are you installing Gentoo unironically?

Recompiling the kernel now (SSH)

Attached: day2.png (1360x759, 140K)

Do you well aware that Gentoo is a meme?

Attached: gentleman1.jpg (476x314, 52K)

I actually find this type of stuff interesting. I have other laptops for the distros that I use for my stuff

> bloated kernel
It's the one you selected in eselect (/usr/src/linux) unless you pass a parameter to handle another one. Can be any normal enough kernel, though.

> automatic config often doesn't catch required modules, e.g. NVMe for the disk with the rootfs
Maybe occasionally happened, but it's not like it'll catch less when you --menuconfig anyhow?

> cleans the kernel build directory by default, reconfiguring takes way longer
--no-clean , but actually cleaning the compiled files will be a good idea in most instances. AFAIK the kernel tooling still doesn't *really* know if you did anything in between that would require recompiling or re-linking

> default config requires an initramfs
More like the "all" target also creates an initramfs, whereas the "kernel" target won't. You seem to simply want the latter?

> initramfs is super bloated by default
It is normal IMO. And you're not really getting a smaller properly working initrd easier than with genkernel anyhow.

Glad you're not just falling for the meme.

no

>4 days to install Gentoo
Stop fapping to japanese cartoons while installing Gentoo.

I think I fucked this up kek

Getting kernel panic now

bump for OP's torture
don't give up, OP

It's over computer bricked

I am reinstalling it, but this time I skipped the @world update thing

How

Attached: 1523319677312.jpg (7680x4320, 3.95M)

Dude why is this taking you 4 days? Minus the compile time, following the installation guide should take you no more than an hour. It's all written very clearly...

By four days I did not mean that it took 24*4 hours to install it. I fucked up the boot on the first two times cause UEFI/BIOS shit and I got kernel panick just now and I am reinstalling it again.

I just decided to blog on Jow Forums

kernel config is always located in /usr/src/linux
you can recompile and install the kernel from there without a live cd as many times as you like. you also upgrade your kernel on gentoo by symlinking the new kernel to /usr/src/linux, recompiling and then reinstalling the kernel on /boot

Attached: kandinsky.jpg (570x394, 79K)

For a board of windows userds suddenly every one of you is a Master of Gentoo.

I did this but got kernel panick, cause I copied a config form github and compiled the kernel. I am reinstalling it again now.

Thanks for the help.

more likely a selection bias where only the people who have installed gentoo have any interest in this thread

Yeah that could be the case too :)

picrel

Attached: i-deliberatley-entered-a-thread-full-of-things-that-i-28308860.png (500x460, 25K)

the installation process gets a lot faster every time, i took a couple of attempts the first time i installed it. the only bit that is a drag is the chrooting (although you can install gentoo using an arch live cd and just use the arch-chroot command instead).
if you've bought a refurbished T420 the kernel config on the wiki might not be 100% correct, try lspci -k to make sure you have the same components. genkernel does 'just work' but i've had trouble updating genkernel where i've found the custom kernel very easy to maintain.
the installation process is challenging because you need an in-depth knowledge of your hardware, but package management in gentoo is also quite hard - you get unparalleled control over the packages in your system but there's no quick dopamine hit like using pacman on arch. it's worth persisting though, if understanding operating systems is a hobby then gentoo is v rewarding.

Attached: gentGodzilla.jpg (400x410, 31K)

>the installation process gets a lot faster every
this. I remember using gentoo and funtoo a couple of years ago and I could easily do an encrypted install after a couple of times. It’s actually really easy, but I remember boost taking the longest to compile during install since it was needed for lvm I think.

So every time a new kernel version is available I just do

emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

and this will put another version of the kernel into /usr/src/linux. Then I just reconfig the new kernel version, compile and install it did I get it right?

What if I fuck up the new config and the computer does not boot? Do I have to chroot from the live cd, change the symlink and recompile/reinstall the old kernel that worked perfectly?

you need to use eselect to symlink the new kernel source to /usr/src/linux after emerging gentoo sources but basically yes.
there are tools to automate the config transition between kernel versions, look at the kernel upgrade wiki page.

Yeah I was reading this. But waht if I change the kernel and for some reason the computer does not boot? (I am bit a pleb and I like to mess up stuff without completely understanding what they do so this will probably happen)

use a live cd to chroot in to your installation and configure the kernel again

Just copy the config from the kernel you're already using.
You can even configure it to save the .config file in a .gz somewhere (was it proc?) to make sure you don't lose it somehow.

>comfy
>/v/
are you 12?

>CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native -pipe -funroll-loops -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-distribution"
obligatory HOLY COW I'M TOTALLY GOING SO FAST OH FUCK

Attached: poser.jpg (320x240, 35K)

Boost isn't needed for lvm, but yea it used to be a pretty significant package and still kinda is - on my low power potato it takes 21 minutes on average to compile and install.

Still, chromium and firefox plus libreoffice are worse, if you do a desktop install and don't use -bin packages.

> you need to use eselect to symlink the new kernel source to /usr/src/linux after emerging gentoo sources
By default. There also is a "symlink" USE-flag to do this automatically on emerge.

Not OP but are my CFLAGS pleb-tier?
CFLAGS="-march=ivybridge -O2 -pipe"

I've got an ivybridge CPU so that bit's fine but what are all the loops, funrolls and floops?

at least i can install gentoo nerd

Attached: IMG_20180421_121543.jpg (3264x2448, 1.25M)

>-O3
you'd be better off enabling this on a per-application basis. it's not like you need that extra 10% performance out of literally every application on your system, at the possible cost of things breaking. I used -ftree-vectorize on my system and it actually broke pyblake, which meant that portage would segfault immediately.
>-funroll-loops
this flag is a meme
If you're going this far, you might as well add -flto -Wl,-O1 -floop-parallize-all
>not using $(cpuid2cpuflags) to generate your cpu flags
>not using the hardened profile
>not encrypting root
4/10

That's completely alright, you should get very little compiler errors with that and it is overall okay.

I personally use "-Ofast" and also "-flto=thin" on one of my Gentoo machines. The latter in particular requires a good amount of packages to be put into /etc/portage/package.env to exclude the option. The earlier generally works fine.

he's just enabled a bunch of loop optimizations, which are not guaranteed to actually speed up the code. The Gentoo wiki recommends you just use -O2 for global use, since adding more optimizations might break programs.

ty

> it's not like you need that extra 10% performance out of literally every application on your system, at the possible cost of things breaking
You are wrong, -O3 virtually never breaks anything. It's just not necessarily convenient to use on weaker CPU.

>20 minutes
It took about 15 minutes just for me to compile Firefox from source on my i5 7600k

t. Windows user

It unpacks the new kernel to its own directory and only updates the /usr/src/linux symlink automatically if you have the symlink use flag set, otherwise (recommended) you update that manually with either eselect or raw with ln right before you update

>then I just reconfig the new kernel version
copy the old config file and run make oldconfig so it updates the config to current version and asks you about new options. You can then run menuconfig again if you want to futher tweak it or just build it

>What if I fuck up the new config and the computer does not boot?
set up your bootloader/efi so you have more than one kernel you can boot to. I have for example two options: gentoo.efi (default newest), gentoo-old.efi (previous working kernel). It's also a good idea to put enough tools to your initramfs so it can be used to unfuck the system if there is ever need for that

You could keep the previous kernel around and create a Grub entry for both kernels, so you can choose your kernel at boot time.
You can also set the symlink use flag for the gentoo-sources package.

>You could keep the previous kernel around and create a Grub entry for both kernels, so you can choose your kernel at boot time.

How do I do this?

If you don't delete the old kernel, grub-mkconfig will automatically add entries for it too by default.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. So now I just emerge new kernel that's it? Or do I copy the source folder?

So I basically can have multiple kernels installed at /boot?

>grub
Friendly reminder that CONFIG_EFI_STUB is a thing now

A few more recent UEFI BIOS were passable - but the vast majority is so crappy I virtually always prefer to work with GRUB.

BTW even then - some crappy EFI shell with the tools in ESP makes for much shittier system diagnostics / maintenance than the grub2 shell.

It's just pretty sad to work with, even if you do get faster boot times and perhaps actually less issues IF everyone did their job right... they usually did not.

Compiled kernel produces vmlinuz-1.2.3 or something on /boot.
Say the old kernel is 1.2.3 and your new kernel is 4.5.6, you would get:
/boot/vmlinuz-1.2.3
/boot/vmlinuz-4.5.6

And then you just need to setup your bootloader to have two entries, one that will load 1.2.3 and one that will load 4.5.6

But what if the kernels are not different versions, just different configs

Also what is the simlink linux for? I am compiling and installing the kernel from within the source folder why do I need the linux link?

it took me a few hours to install gentoo on a i5 7200u what the fuck are you running

>day 4
are you installing gentoo on an i386? how has it taken you days to do what should be been possible in hours.
>dwm
do people actually use this unironically?
>wifi driver not detected
you might need to install linux-firmware. very few wifi chipsets have libre firmware.

just install the base gentoo with only a window manager. takes no time at all and you're all set.

it took me a little longer because i was doing some kernel config tweaking because the internet wasn't working

>are you installing gentoo on an i386? how has it taken you days to do what should be been possible in hours.
> do people actually use this unironically?
I like

>you might need to install linux-firmware. very few wifi chipsets have libre firmware.
I did

dwm is nice on gentoo with the savedconfig USE flag. It's no more of a meme than i3wm.

>So now I just emerge new kernel that's it?
Generally you install kernel sauces with that, although I think there are ebuilds that can also compile.

No, what you probably want is to run genkernel.

>
Use a different filename or the genkernel --appendname parameter or such.

> should be been possible in hours
On a current gaymen-tier CPU and with a SDD, I could probably get there in somewhere around *an* hour [x86_64 install from stage3 gentoo].

If you boot any linux liveusb that has browser and preferably a video player for animus and do the gentoo install from it all the way to the point where you have wm/browser/mpv installed before boot, then you would get zero downtime from the typical computer usage no matter how slow the compilation speed is

Sure.

Still, a modern machine's storage speed and processing power advantage really shows rather dramatically with Gentoo, even with some dumb tooling like the very slow old ./configure scripts and slow linkers taking up a lot of time.

Even if you don't quite have a threadripper or high-end xeon but just a gaming ryzen / i5, i7 or whatever, you may be ready to use Xorg and your first browser (surf, otter) ~20 or so minutes after the first reboot.

Really drives home what kind of monstrous computation capabilities modern desktop CPU have. Also makes them obviously a good (/better) choice if you want quick install turnaround times on Gentoo. The compile & install times become almost negligible on most packages.

Thats because the Rust toolchain is so bloated you literally cant compile the 32bit version of itself on a 32bit machine, you run out of memory.

% equery g www-client/surf
* Searching for surf in www-client ...

* dependency graph for www-client/surf-2.0
`-- www-client/surf-2.0 amd64
`-- dev-libs/glib-2.52.3 (dev-libs/glib) amd64
`-- net-libs/libsoup-2.58.2 (net-libs/libsoup) amd64
`-- net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.18.6 (net-libs/webkit-gtk) amd64
`-- x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.19 (x11-libs/gtk+) amd64
`-- x11-libs/libX11-1.6.5 (x11-libs/libX11) amd64
`-- virtual/pkgconfig-0-r1 (virtual/pkgconfig) amd64
`-- x11-apps/xprop-1.2.3 (x11-apps/xprop) amd64
`-- x11-misc/dmenu-4.6 (x11-misc/dmenu) amd64
`-- net-misc/curl-7.59.0 (net-misc/curl) amd64
`-- x11-terms/st-0.7 (x11-terms/st) amd64

>~20 or so minutes
>net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.18.6
stop larping

Now I can't install wpa_supplicant for some reason

compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:1776: ../src/eap_peer/eap_pwd.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
* ERROR: net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6::gentoo failed (compile phase):
* emake failed
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/work/wpa_supplicant-2.6/wpa_supplicant'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/work/wpa_supplicant-2.6/wpa_supplicant'

>>> Failed to emerge net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6:

* ERROR: net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6::gentoo failed (compile phase):
* emake failed
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/work/wpa_supplicant-2.6/wpa_supplicant'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/work/wpa_supplicant-2.6/wpa_supplicant'

Wtf Jow Forums

is it just masked? put an older version in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
is this your fresh install? I guess if the new wpa_supplicant includes wpa_gui it might be masked if you aren't on a desktop profile.
this installation attempt has been pure comedy btw

I did choose the desktop profile

He didn't even include rust. He's probably talking about Firefox ESR which doesn't require it. Emerging rust+cargo alone takes like 20-40 minutes.

i'm sorry man, someone else on here might know but it sounds like bad luck, either with missing a step in the handbook or the latest ebuild of wpa_supplicant being buggy.
putting an older version of wpa_supplicant into your package.accept_keywords will probably work but idk how long you want to keep banging your head against the wall with this install. If I were you I would take a week off and then come back to it with a fresh start.

dōjin Ecchi music with moaning lewd sounds will go well with your desktop, highly recommend:
audioforyou.anisource.net/?p=1181

Attached: 8ccd1156bd357873371e03b4bca5ce91.jpg (2480x3507, 568K)

Paste the build log, it'll help debug
# emerge wgetpaste
$ wgetpaste /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/temp/build.log

tail /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-2.6-r6/temp/build.log

*Net*surf. Sorry about this grave mistake, eh.

I got it installed. I skiped the
emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world

this time, but apprently that was a mistake

Man setting WIFI on this shit is a fucking nightmare

Nah, pretty easy. Just install drivers and firmware, then use connman or whatever to connect.

Or actually if you had trouble, maybe just install networkmanager or wicd with use=ncurses for a text gui.