/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: Lisa.jpg (400x470, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sleepyhead.jedimark.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who's that qt3.14?

Okay, I have a question. I've got a dual boot of arch and windows using 2 hard drives; sda, and sdb.
Both operating systems share the same boot partition on the windows drive (sda1).

My question is, could I easily swap out the OS on sdb, and not have to do any funny business with the boot partition? I assume I can just format sdb, install a new OS, then mount sda1 to /boot and it should work

I'm pretty new to linux

I have a multimonitor setup on a 980Ti (hdmi and dvi-i). setting my order in a xorg.conf or 10-monitor.conf makes everything 300% bigger. why arch why

Attached: 2018-04-21-193553_3840x1080_scrot.png (3840x1080, 2M)

If I assume I understood your question. You would/should use OS-Prober to find and add to the grub opening screen. I’m getting the assumption you’re gonna install a new OS. Grub will find the new OS if probe finder is used to “index” it

She looks like she has Down's Syndrome

Okay, so OS-Prober sounds like what I'm talking about.
I just didn't want to mess around with my boot partition, but I do want to hop distros

That isnt an nvidia issue, you have somethign in your X configs in your home directory that is scaling it like this
Check your font scaling in your local files

>why arc why
Because you misconfigured it, obviously

you can easily see linus in her face

i have a question, does dvdbackup perform any error checks? is there any other simple tool for the same purpose - copy dvd video VIDEO_TS
could mkisofs do that, it has a -dvd-video flag, or is it for hdd to cd [not cd to hdd] ?

I removed all the configs and generated a new one with nvidia-settings. now everything works. I just have to figure it out why bspwm is placing my first ws on my 2nd monitor and the other ws on my primary monitor

Just got some beat up old Dell Latitude laptop for free. Aside from being in poor cosmetic condition, everything works great. After I repaste this thing with Arctic Silver 5 I'm gonna install a new OS. It came with Windows 10 Home and I'm not using that trash. What's a good BSD or Linux distro to use? I can't make up my mind.

>Core i7 2640M
>8GB DDR3 RAM
>128GB SATA3 SSD

Attached: fJ1J8Bx.jpg (4031x3454, 1.79M)

really good machine.

If you know linux, basic commands , etc. Archlinux
If you don't start with, mind, ubuntu, or fedora.

>Lisa who
fukc I need to know who dis chick is or else no happy time today, anons, please help

Attached: 1501155329937sv.jpg (124x122, 2K)

Reposting for the new thread:
I found a script that does it by echoing the name of the folder that the music is playing from to a text file, and then I run a separate script that checks if the file inside there has changed. If it has, it kills feh and runs it again on the directory specified by the text file. The only problem is that because it's killing and re-launching feh every time, it's automatically changing the window focus to feh every time the art changes. Could you share what your execute_on_song_change option is doing? I think I could figure it out from there.

I have a 1366x768 display resolution laptop running Windows 7 and it is crowded as fuck. Any good recommendation for a Linux distro which makes using a small laptop less of a cluttered pain? I'm a web developer / programmer by passion.

I'll probably just go with Devuan. It's a really weird laptop. Only one USB port but it has eSATA, an SD slot, VGA, and some kind of tiny HDMI port. It also has an ExpressCard 34 slot, so I'm gonna add more USB ports with that.

What distribution you can recommend me? I need it stable and binary, since I'm cpulet.
Also I need packages for proprietary broadcom wifi. And WiFi drivers on install are good too.
And yeah, I want it stable, and I don't really need fresh packages.

Debian?

any modern distro with a proper window manager setup. You can try simpler DEs like xfce.

>Core i7 2640M
....gentoo? No, seriously.

Probably, but it is pain in ass to install netinst from usb-tethering. And touchpad isn't working in installer already.
Does DVD version has this problem?

>2018
>People are still focusing on minimalism and making their distribution as light as possible
>GNU/Linux™ has always had the problem of being too light and not including enough to "just work" causing the average user too much pain and they return back to Windows

If you want the year of the GNU/Linux™ desktop to be a reality then there has to be at least one distro that comes with all the shit that windows/mac does.

Ubuntu is close but still lacking. You're almost there.

Reminder that normies are afraid of the black box with white letters you're supposed to somehow do things with by typing

we need a new maximalist linux distro

In fact GNU/Linux distro like noobuntu, opensuse come fully loaded with needfull stuff like openoffice and crap u never use.
OpenSUSE + Packman repo for mp3 and shit

AFAIK Debian uses its own deblob scripts.

So now that the original wine-staging devs stopped working on it, which community fork is the proper one currently being maintained?

I saw somewhere people were using 3.6 wine-staging even though official ended in 2.21, so I assume there's a good one running around but I haven't been able to find it

Mutt or neomutt?

Lisa "Exposed" Areola

Just call them burgers.

Attached: 1458070606120.png (800x800, 1.36M)

Haha original joke very funny

>she

Whoms she

Processor.

onions onions basedboy

dabs on you

\_o\

Im about to install debian
does debian include the lastest plasma version?

*steamed hams

I think you're conflating two entirely separate issues. A distro like Salix "just werks", as it has functionality for basically everything you need by picking only one application per task, whereas a full kde install has everything you need plus a million you don't. You can be minimal and user friendly at the same time.

The problem with linux IS the command line, but that has nothing to do with minimalism, it has to do with the entire linux ecosystem depending on the shell as the glue that holds userspace together. Go to any project's website, and the install instructions involve terminal commands, whereas windows and macos hide this layer behind the gui as much as possible. This is a good thing, as users don't have to worry about little details like, "Does my distro ship bash with .profile, .bash_login, or .bash_profile? Do they ship with sudo or su?". Little issues like this waste millions upon millions of man-hours all because each distro and each project has a different way of doing things and can't agree on how to keep the implementation separate and behind a layer of abstraction that the user need not know the details of. A user who is merely using gui apps and not customizing the behavior of the OS itself should never have to use the command line or know where a program tosses all its files to (i.e. all over the fucking place); that is where linux fails. Let users get their hands dirty when they're ready, and also do something like Gobo linux and stop this /bin vs /usr/bin vs /usr/local/bin fucking madness; have one directory for each user that has all the files that might supersede things in /etc (or /usr/etc or /usr/local/etc) and be done with it. How long did it take to reference a .config/ in the user's home directory to be sort of standard for linux applications? It's pure insanity.

I dont know where to say this, so I guess I'll just say it here
>talking with qt at work
>eventually we end up talking about computers (work in an office)
>irungentoo.jpg
>"wait, linux? Isn't that what poor people use?"
That sentence crushed my soul, holy fuck

Attached: thiskillstheman.jpg (200x213, 8K)

Linux is a kernel.

He's right, tho.

What are some essential tweaks to do to a fresh Linux install? I enable UFW, TearFree ON, update/upgrade all packages.

Things that never happened.

what web browser are people using lately, I'm on the latest firefox which has been annoying me with how it requires pulseaudio and how some extensions I used to use are broken now. I'm thinking of trying one of those minimalist browsers like uzbl again but I dunno

run vrms, remove results

You could crush its pussy.

Attached: 1521315206008.jpg (500x744, 40K)

~/.config folder is idiot

qutebrowser is hip, surf is hop, firefox with apulse is hack, w3m is leet

>"Does my distro ship bash with .profile, .bash_login, or .bash_profile? Do they ship with sudo or su?"
brainlet.png

Linux SUCKS. Why? Because:

1)Command lines/Lack of GUI's

Why the fvck would I want to use a command line? I have a modern computer, capable of displaying color and icons. Why should their be a command line? And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.

2)Root/sudo is stupid.

Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs? I still can't get a lot of programs to run because they keep whining about permissions. What ever happened to good old admin accounts? Why does sudo break everything?

3)Apt-get

Now this is just plane stupid. Why is it so damn hard to install anything? I have a desktop, why not do it the way it should be done? I get the installer icon, click on it, press forward a few times, wait, and have a nice icon on my desktop. Why isn't it done this way?

4)Compiling

Again, stupid. Just give me a fvcking installer program. None of this compiling sh1t.

Come on Linux. The rest of the world has moved beyond 1990. It's time for you to do so also. I'm giving up and installing windows.

Pls respond, wine using friends.

Attached: 1346368467150.jpg (720x540, 176K)

Stop posting photos of me.

I should reuse these pasta for fun.

Attached: wojak.png (564x610, 195K)

Attached: pls.gif (480x358, 1.16M)

So it's better to have a hundred dotfiles and dotdirectories sitting in your home directory?

Upon which many multi-purpose operating systems have been built, collectively known as linux distributions. Do you have a point beyond recycling a stale meme?

Obviously a user knows these things either during install or right after booting into the installed system, but it's still needless additional details for someone coming from a different distro. For example, the default .profile on debian systems sources .bashrc and has neither a .bash_login or .bash_profile. Coming from a different distro, some things break or have to be learned anew to get themselves back to where they were before. This is an utter waste of time. If you're using the exact same version of bash on the old and new systems, migration should be quick and painless.

He's right about apt-get, which is exactly why things like aptitude, synaptic, and even porthole exist. Or would you like to argue that those things offer no value and are only for brainlets?

Sure, but he was referring to Linux as the operating system. Words can have two meanings, you know.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.

Attached: 1524104622428.jpg (791x682, 46K)

lmao

Amen

Build firefox to not use pulseaudio and use pulse instead

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Attached: 1490983250830.png (499x499, 59K)

>UFW
>having a firewall script on a desktop
Just learn nftables. Criminy.

Attached: 1522013031108.jpg (340x377, 93K)

Yes it's better to have dotfiles or dotdirs in my home dir. Typing .config/.foobar instead of .foobar is stupid.

Most people call it Linux. Get over it.

ufw is fine for most use cases

Theres some truth in this pasta.

What distro would you guys recommend for an old super low spec laptop? It's an IBM T30 ThinkPad with a 1.8Ghz processor and 768Mb of RAM. I want to pick something that will make me learn things and will have acceptable performance on my old machine.

There is some pasta in this truth.

Is there a CLI program that can keep track of all time upload/download and doesn't reset on reboots/program restarts?

PowerShell

This, it's pushing DE problems on to terminal users.

vnstat

Why is Linus's daughter posing for such risque images!?!

>does my distro ship with sudo or su?
stopped reading right there ahahaha

Attached: 1486833204645.jpg (570x587, 43K)

how to stop feh from creating files in every directory?

Attached: 2018-04-21-232820_193x35_scrot.png (193x35, 4K)

Does font configuration in .i3/config override font configuration in Xresources?

Oh wait, the font on the i3 config is just for the window titles, my bad.

Thanks

Had Linux for a little over a year. I liked it because it felt very low key, no bullshit kind of setup. I removed it due to programs I could not get to work. I'd like to go back to it at some point.
I do have a few unused laptops that would be nice to play around with.

Attached: S5527.jpg (600x600, 24K)

What programs?

that is fuckin hilarious

Switched from Arch to Void a few days ago. Love it, but does anyone else have problems with Firefox being unusually slow? It felt much snappier on Arch, if memory servces well. I tried Chromium on Void and it's snappy as usual, but FF seems quite a bit more laggy for whatever reason.

Are there any minimal Wayland environments besides Sway that are even remotely usable yet?

biggest issue was a program called "sleepyhead"
also had some issues with "proscan" for programming a scanner.

biggest issue was a program called "sleepyhead"
also had some issues with "proscan" for programming a scanner

Ok
Ok

firewalld is fine for most cases too, but you don't need 10,000 lines of pajeetscript to append and flush tables depending on which SSID you're looking at.

Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but here's my issue: Whenever I scroll with two fingers on 95% of distros I have tried, I get this hovering-finger-reading. Like it's physic and can detect where my fingers are, by like 1/2 of an inch off of the trackpad.
Ubuntu seems to be the only one who does not do this. Arch, Gentoo, Solus all do this. Why? Why not Ubuntu? Win10 doesn't do this.
If someone could solve this issue, other than just saying "use the clit mouse", I'll give you something on Steam.

T420 for referance.

Beautyangel's lisa l, courtesy of yandex reverse image search

Sleepyhead is in Debian's main repository these days.

had to download it from here but couldn't for anything get it to work
sleepyhead.jedimark.net

You're doing it horribly wrong. Just use Debian and apt-get install sleepyhead.

didn't work. lol I know im doing it wrong

Has anyone here ever had the problem of a wine program changing the gamma of the monitor when it's started?

For some reason it keeps happening with SWAT 4 and it's a bit annoying

I do not

You'll hardly be understood.

Not all of us adhere to that dogma, so we're perfectly free to use things like Alpine LINUX. Preach elsewhere.

So you'd rather have a clusterfuck of dotfiles lying among non-config files just so you don't have to type an extra ".co"?

Gentoo, arch, debian netinstall all lack sudo out of the box, and distros configure the sudoers file substantially differently at install for not a single compelling reason. It's a pointless waste of time when you discover the changes you made in sudoers aren't working because they've been overwritten by a file in /etc/sudoers.d. The amount of utterly pointless fractioning in the way distros implement basic functionality for what should otherwise be perfectly compatible systems is mind numbing. If the ecosystem could agree on some sane defaults so that switching to any linux distro was a process you only had to learn once and as easy for grandma to use as macos, there would be no windows or mac residentially. The only thing in the way is the initial learning curve, the amount of time wasted in re-establishing functionality you lose when you switch distros, and the awkwardness for the CLI-unfamiliar of installing software not packaged by your distro (or even the unwieldiness of your distro's default package manager). All of those issues can be fixed with far less time and effort than on what is spent reinventing wheels, or even just maintaining each distro's custom rims. In order for linux to grow, it needs to be as easy or easier than what people are already used to; windows users are used to double-clicking an .exe, while mac users are used to double clicking a .dmg then dragging a little icon into a folder. Any distro that isn't innovating the user experience (like Gobo or Guix) is just dithering, but people don't switch and contribute to those distros for the EXACT same reason other people don't switch to linux at all.

My exact fucking point illustrated.

It's Linux, just Linux.

Kill yourself.