Apple moving the Mac to ARM CPUs in 2020

Enjoy your backdoored CPU intel faggots

Attached: index.jpg (275x183, 4K)

Fake news. Apple "rumored" to be using ARM cpu's with Macs. Doesn't mean they aren't adding arm chips to x86 Macs to run iOS apps. You are an idiot and a thread died for this.

I really, really want this to happen.

One, to get away, at long last, from the Intel monopoly, and two, to see just how much power, efficiency, and battery life Apple's engineering can squeeze into an ultra-sleek laptop form factor.

I'm now 100% convinced people on this board don't know shit about technology.

>arm chips to x86 Macs to run iOS apps
Lol, just about to say that. They want start with mobile first, and take it from there. OP is dumb faggot who just reads headlines.

They already use ARM coprocessors in the new MacBook Pros and iMacs as hardware controllers and secure enclaves. The rumor is about replacing Intel CPUs (and presumably NVIDIA GPUs) entirely.

>If it's not Intel, it doesn't matter

Shut up and keep sucking, shill.

Get a fucking brain, I don't give two fucks if you're using Intel or AMD. If you want to break compatibility with all x86_64 programs (that's fucking all of them), then enjoy playing Minecraft on the App store kid.

>I'm a serious adult man who does serious work for his serious job on his serious Wintel monopoly surveillance machine and I'm too dull to imagine anything else because I have 35-year-old Stockholm Syndrome

x86 can die tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it at all. Neither would many, many other people.

It's not healthy to desperately cling to shitty old things, user.

>NVIDIA GPUs
Apple hasn't used an nvidia gpu in like 6 years

My bad. Point still stands that they're moving their primary Mac chipset in-house.

>hardware controllers and secure enclaves
This doesn't require a complex instruction set.

The rumor is about replacing Intel CPUs (and presumably NVIDIA GPUs) entirely
>presumably NVIDIA GPUs
LOL, they won't do anything of the sort anytime soon. Apple can downsize their mobile devices, but not their desktop and laptops that require CISC. They will never replace NVIDIA. That would just cost them money.

Apple can do whatever the fuck it wants. It's one of the richest companies on Earth, has state-of-the-art hardware engineers, develops all of its own software platforms and a suite of creative and productivity apps, and isn't chained to 35 years of legacy cruft. The Mac has switched instruction sets twice in the past, and will do so again in the future. It just single-handedly put Imagination Technologies out of business and is now using its own best-in-class mobile GPUs. It's not inconceivable to think that Apple could scale its mobile chips up to a workstation. Shit, even CloudFlare is throwing its hat into the ARM ring.

Small thinking and the presumption of indispensability are precisely why Intel lost the battle for mobile and is now treading water on the desktop side. When Apple demonstrates that a desktop-class ARM chipset is more than feasible and competitors start investing in their own ARM chips, you can bet that you'll soon be seeing all of your favorite old abandoned Windows programs running in an emulator on a non-x86 Surface Pro.

>somebody gets desktop linux to run on ARM
>no one cares

>microsoft gets ARM version of windows with full x86 emulation/compatibility to run on SD835 devices with actual hardware available to purchase within a month
>a few people clap

>some no source rumor states apple will copy linux/ms and also make their desktop os for ARM some several years in the future
>mactoddler pajeets shit their streets and claim it will be the second coming of christ

Attached: IMG_20180420_031315.jpg (429x245, 17K)

>Apple can do whatever the fuck it wants. It's one of the richest companies on Earth
It can do whatever it wants, but won't make nonsense business decisions. The shareholders don't want to lose money. I was wrong about nvidia, but as of now, serious computing requires CISC. There's no getting around this. Something new needs to replace CISC, not ARM. Moore's law has already been broken.

>It's not inconceivable to think that Apple could scale its mobile chips up to a workstation. Shit, even CloudFlare is throwing its hat into the ARM ring
Yes, it is. ARM is just efficient RISC. It doesn't scale very well. Great for small time application, but fails for anything serious. ARM is made for SBC's, that's it. Apple is making a smart move, but it's not going to make a robust laptop or desktop with it. Your out of your mind if you think ARM could ever provide anywhere near the stability or performance of the x86 instruction set. Apple can use ARM because all of their device link together and share processing power and resources. Try using an apple watch by itself. Intel is not treading water, it's still superior to AMD. BTW I don't use windows for anything other than to play vidya.

What happened to itanium?

nobody used it and so x64 won
story of every dead technology

It had crappy x86 emulation, then AMD64 came along.

x86 is Intel's own worst enemy.

/thread

Look at how contrarian and edgy you are, like seriously, I wish I could be just like you!

>One thread is indicative of the opinions of everyone.

Linux already runs on (or could theoretically run on) anything anyway, since it's 100% customizable, so why should ARM get any special attention?

As for Microsoft, I think people are wary after the failure of Windows RT, not to mention that any potential diminishment of compatibility with x86 is considered a moral injustice to Microsheep.

Also, ARM Macs have been rumored for years. This is just the strongest one to come along.

ARM CPUs have something similar to Intel's ME and AMD's PSP. In fact, PSP is based on ARM TrustZone.
Macfaggots being retarded as always.

will amd gpus work with arm cpus? they will need to rewrite lots of drivers.
its gonna be hard to reach parity with intel's cpus.
they will probably start only with their laptop lineup.

It's not mandatory to include if you design your own ARM-based architecture. I don't even think ARM mandates it with its own designs. Apple already has its own ARM-based Secure Enclave for newer Macs anyway. Given how paranoid the company is about security, I doubt it has any interest in using someone else's black box in their products.

Looking forward to the fictitious arm desktop cpu with 64 PCIe lanes and 32 cores running at 5ghz.

It still does matter even if it's Applel you mongol. Apple is keen on jedi tricking other companies into doing the same as they do. If this happens other companies would have more reasons to invest on chromebooks and windows 10 for ARM laptops.
It could happen but Apple is probably just using ARM chips on macs for faceID shit, touchID and other garbage.

Appletard subhumans should be rounded up and gassed tbqhwyfam.

Attached: 1508938214047.jpg (540x350, 34K)

>Given how paranoid the company is about security,
>leaves all their servers with a gaping backdoor asking to get brute forced daily
Apple is a fucking joke.

They didn't develop anything, Microsoft can't create basic hardware devices right, imagine processors and video chips, Ok they have good mouses.

Apple has the best mobile and graphics processor available today, imagine what they can do with more power available.

but I believe that they will still keep the pro products with Inlel chip to please the professionals.

This is what iToddler subhumans actually believe.

>imagine what they can do with more power available
Yeah, intel chips.

>still keep the pro products with Inlel chip to please the professionals
They will keep pro products so they don't fall to the wayside.

>best mobile and graphics processor available today
When did Apple switch to Qualcomm?

Attached: 1517865329435.webm (640x290, 2.43M)

And just because ARM doesn't make it mandatory, it surely will stop any government demanding manufacturers to built it in. How fucking naive are you, have you not paid attention in the past 10 years what's happening with technology and governments?

Macs run on potato chips. All they do is switch the dip.

You haven't been on Jow Forums much , have you?

Attached: 875875_2.jpg (352x395, 26K)

If you can’t show proof, you might as well not even bother posting.

>applel is closed source
>sHooW PwooOf
Just shut up and shallow. Don't bother posting.

Actually based, x86 is absolutely disgusting.

If you can't use your brain, you might as well kill yourself.

>NEET lyfe!!

It makes tons of sense that they would move to ARM. Risc vs CISC has little to do with why you would want to switch trom x86 to ARM. ARM cores are plenty powerful for your average consumer. You can't think like a Jow Forums person, you need to think like good consumer who wants the coolest fashionable merchandise, not a person who wants cost effective powerful hardware.

ARM is slowly winning not becuase they have better cores, but becuase they sell the design to other companies who handle the final design and fabricatition of a final product. That's why it's likely apple will slowly switch all thier products from the cheapest first to most expensive last to ARM.

Apple will license and customize thier own ARM SoC, which they will fabricate themselves. They can cut out the Intel fabrication costs and be able do what ever they want. Apple.will be able to add what ever features they want to the SoC with out having to deal with intels attention being divided over a larger market, and intel not wanting to deliver the exact part Apple would want.

An interesting trend in the market is that the cheap architectures move from the cheapest products to the most expensive. If you said in the 80's x86 was going to dominate the server/mainframe market people would say x86 was only for shitty personal computers and would not scale to a mainframe use.

Attached: 1512239083988.jpg (770x730, 100K)

considering how macbooks are basically glorified tablets, picking a CPU architecture designed for low power devices was the only logical choice

OSX has always been fucking shit at battery management, and get BTFO even by gaming laptops running Windows in battery efficiency. Only reason macs had long battery life was the massive batteries they put in them at the cost of having an actual cooling system inside, and now they don't even have that with their thin meme. Gaming laptops always had tiny batteries because they knew 99% of the time they would be plugged in since the GPUs can't even run at full speed without AC.

Meanwhile you have some companies like Levono that put massive batteries plus a cooling system in laptops with no GPU, and they last 20+ hours actual usage.

Sage for mactard shill thread.

>It makes tons of sense that they would move to ARM
I'm with you, dawg. Mobile and wearables will be ARM powered. This is a good move, tech and business wise. Where you lose me is when you think laptops and desktops will have arm. This is laughable, you can't do any real development, run VMs, use photo shop, play vidya, edit videos, or show of a beefy system. You need to use cloud computing to make up for the loss. Sure, dev can be done in the cloud(and Apple would lose software developers who use macs), but not any else. Network bottleneck is too much of a hinder. Just look at chromebooks, it's hot garbage. A joke. Don't expect it to get much better. Why would apple make macs that are the same as ipads?

>Apple.will be able to add what ever features they want to the SoC
>If you said in the 80's x86 was going to dominate the server/mainframe market people would say x86 was only for shitty personal computers and would not scale to a mainframe use.
That's an invalid argument, it's not the 80s any more. Did you not read the part I said moore's law is already broken? We've nearly exhausted all silicon has to offer. How are you not getting that? Once again, hardware advances are over. You have to soft code ARM to more efficient than it is now. Even Steve Jobs came back from the dead and cured aids, he couldn't force ARM to replace x86. Just stop dude, you don't know what you're talking about.

>They already use ARM coprocessors in the new MacBook Pros and iMacs as hardware controllers and secure enclaves
Bruh, same story with Ryzen and PSP.