Why the fuck are laptops so sterile and boring looking now

why the fuck are laptops so sterile and boring looking now
I miss dedicated media buttons, power buttons and comfy grooves to put my wrists on
Laptop design peaked at the Vista era and it's all been downhill since

Attached: why.jpg (1642x2092, 684K)

What you miss doesn't matter because you're not the target demographic for anything

Yeah, I miss the teeny-tiny trackpads with no gestures too.

this should be on a board banner

The real problem is those trackpads, they never give them any substantial coating, so they always wear down and become a smoothed out, unusable mess. Just put a fucking glass panel there, they cost like 2 bucks per unit what the fuck.

I'd rather use key-binds than have a stupid massive trackpad constantly getting in the way
even fagOS doesn't have palm-detection good enough to let me get up to my 110wpm typing speed.
Thank god for the Air

That's what normalfag like. They aren't really buying laptops anymore, hopefully they start making good laptops before my x220 dies.

Buy a gay man laptop and fuck off,

>more complicated shit to break is somehow better
You never used those buttons I bet. I prefer my machine to have as few ingress points as possible.

>MUH THINKPAD MUH NIPPLE MUH TRANNYBOOT
fuck off faggot, I wish avatarfagging with those shitboxes was a bannable offense.

they were shit then and shit now

But I thought you wanted media buttons and bulky non-sterile features. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Everything is creatively sterile these days...maybe it's just a reflection of our utterly hopeless times but everything is safe and focus tested and inoffensive... everything.

Do a few quick comparison to a decade ago...laptops we're fun but oftentimes took more risks. Hell even operating systems while less secure were more stylish on looks (as opposed to flat and dull). Social media is the biggest example, Facebook vs Myspace... utterly bland and dull vs whatever you want but flawed.

Now any moment some asshole will lecture us about desktop design and assure us that anything other than painfully bland is 'childish'...no side panel windows, no color and don't you fucking dare allow them to see RGB light less you be mocked.

Sorry user but everything has just become dull and less fun. Welcome to the progressive utopia.

Take your pills grandpa, not every GUI has look like a real world item. I'll take efficiency over tawdry hedonism any day.

>I-its the Jews!!!

>I'd rather use key-binds

Good thing we can have both then, huh?

Attached: screenshot.gif (800x600, 204K)

this

Attached: 1521660213114.jpg (947x1024, 83K)

The thing is you can be inoffensive looking without sacrificing style. SilverStone made the MM01 an inoffensive looking case to nearly everyone but damn if it isn’t the best looking modern case I’ve seen in awhile.

TrackPoint > trackpad. Was unintuitive when I first tride it, but it's all about getting used to it. Same with using keybinds instead of point-click all the time. Function keys with volume and brightness control are annoying.

yeah no
Get that accelerating bullshit out of here
complete cancer.
I'd rather a laptop with no pointing thing at all and just connect a mouse. MAYBE an integrated trackball like some of those old toshibas

Attached: 1524047654128.png (991x672, 233K)

I want IRC back.

It still fucking exists, Pajeet.

I an saying that trackpads are cancer, not mice. I prefer using wireless mice sometimes, but I can easily switch to using just the TrackPoint when I am on the go.

Aslo >trackball. Whatever floats your boat.

yeah no one fucking uses it you monkey
>hurrr join our discord server!

Fringe groups use IRC, like most Linux distros for example. Most people went away from IRC because people don't want to install six different fucking programs for socializing. Atleast Discord has voice, embedded links, public and private chat all under one roof.

>Atleast Discord has voice, embedded links, public and private chat all under one roof.
yes how convenient it is for discord to have ALL of your communication data to sell

God forbid you get a targeted ad that disappears because you use uBlock. You do realize Discord doesn't just post your personal info in a pastebin that anyone can access correct?

I'm just saying WHY normies do it.

>You do realize Discord doesn't just post your personal info in a pastebin that anyone can access correct?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh you sweet, innocent child

Not an argument. I'd rather have my data go to bots than fucking retarded/malicious Anons from god knows where.

>Not an argument. I'd rather have my data go to bots than fucking retarded/malicious Anons from god knows where.

Attached: 1509035494017.jpg (657x527, 32K)

>Hehe, why are you complaining, goy? If there's a demand in the market, then a company will fill that demand to make money.
>What? There's a demand for well-built, fully serviceable, business-class laptops? But then we could only make 20% profit instead of 80% profit! And then we can't sell you a replacement laptop every two years! Sorry, neckbeardgoy, it's not worth it! Hehehe...

Meanwhile, a small Chinese company of enthusiasts took the original T60 chassis and modified it with modern internal components, including customizing the chassis for new ports, calling it the T70:
>high-resolution 4:3 IPS screen (e.g. 1600x1200, 1400x1050, etc.)
>Intel Core i7 HQ CPU (Kaby Lake) (e.g. i7-7700HQ, i7-7300HQ, i7-7820HQ, etc.)
>16GB RAM, upgradable to 32GB
>256GB SSD

The reason for the variations in specs is because they manufacture them in batches. You must pay out the ass for that, right? Taken directly from their specs of one:
>7300HQ + 16GB RAM + NVME 256GB + 1600x1200 UXGA screen = $1350 USD

They also sell the mainboards alone for like $700-800.

Attached: thinkpad t70.jpg (1080x720, 97K)

Clevos offer that though
The clevo that the system76 galago pro is based is fully serviceable

You're a mactoddler aren't you?
are you really willing to pay that much for a slightly higher resolution and processor? waaaayyy too pricey for me.

I disabled my trackpad.

I wish it was smaller because it's a waste of space.

>accelerating bullshit

You do realize you can configure it.......right?

>I looooved windows Vistas era
>Where are my colorful cartoon Keyboards!
>I NEED smooth wrist groves, the rough edges hurt my soft s0ii skin
S0ii B0Y! Hahaha!

Attached: 1524324729045.png (1276x1048, 548K)

It must suck living with shitty trackpads on Windows laptops that make the ThinkPad nipple look good by comparison.

They're unusable user
your stupid, lonely brain only likes them because of the dopamine hit when you post your thinkshit and get (you)s.
>EITHER YOU LIKE SHITTY, 10 YEAR OLD LAPTOPS OR YOU'RE A MACTODDLER

It's the awkward position I hate, not the trackpad itself.

Also scrolling with a trackpad is a joke.

All the laptops that are less than 6 years old are shitty mac clones. So you're either a mactoddler or you like chinese bootleg macs.

At that point why not just produce the chassis

With 3D printing, this will probably be the end result.

I too use the superior QWERTZ keyboard layout

so we need to eliminate the normies so we get nice things again?

Because fat gets trimmed either to reduce size or cost. While there is certainly room for debate whether the push to seem innovative is making companies go too far down the road of diminishing returns you can hardly fault them for relegating features used rarely by most people to a modifier key.

Besides the physical aspect of it minimalism is in right now so if you dislike it you're just out of luck.

Attached: xps-15-2in1-open.jpg (1200x799, 125K)

Give me more squared off things please, I'm thoroughly bored of everybody ripping off the macbook air's teardrop body profile, its disgusting.

Attached: twingoooooo.jpg (2000x3000, 1.04M)

Macs are literally gay knocks-offs VAIOs.

Attached: 1495420012224.jpg (499x356, 16K)

> Thinkpad
> dies
Just replace the failing part and it will last forever

Attached: dpt_3.jpg (2560x1600, 708K)

This is what peak performance looks like

Attached: IMG_20180421_012710.jpg (2448x3264, 2.36M)

everything about that picture is a meme
kill yourself

>Cum stained ThinkPad
Meme
>ATI GPU
Meme
>Clover OS
Meme

How did companies ever think those tiny trackpads were ok? On the flipside though
>Better bezels than modern thinkpads
Where did we go wrong?

No. No you can't.

>Grandpa
Yeah sorry didn't realize I'm talking to fucking millennials...people who see anything other than standardized boredom as triggering.

Being remotely interesting...you caught me. It's truly an idea of the past. Guess I'd better go to the retirement home before I do something really crazy and suggest you mindless sterile fucks develop a personality.

You're right that it's inoffensive but I don't see how it's good looking at all let alone "the best". It looks like a cheap but functional box that would be sold as Dell or HP machines bought by the hundreds for schools, but absolutely not the kind of thing I would choose to own.

Attached: mm01-34right.jpg (560x560, 36K)

What model is that?

What is the point of this comparison?

Holy shit...if that was any more sterile and dead it would be the countertop in an STD clinic. Jesus Christ how lacking in....well fucking everything.

>Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Attached: 4ff.png (475x792, 357K)

You don't use the trackpad, they only added trackpads in the early 2000s

you're an idiot

Those trackpads are okay because you're not supposed to use them, you're supposed to use the trackpoint if you are doing serious work.

Attached: shiggs thinkpad.jpg (1500x1061, 514K)

So why include it at all? And that doesn't negate the other manufacturers using similar sized ones at the time.

Apple did it, and everyone has to follow suit like the sheep they are.

>So why include it at all?
Because it's better having more options than removing them. My thinkpad has a trackpad, a trackpoint, a touchscreen and a pen digitizer. I can use any of them to make inputs whenever needed.

The trouble with MySpace was that most people tended to make ugly abominations filled with glitter gifs and difficult to read color combinations. Facebook forced sensible but bland design on everyone. You could no longer design your page how you wanted, but neither could your friends who had no clue about usability.

Agreed on the rest -- the sentiment seems to be that everything needs to be bland, boring, minimalist, and as much like Apple as possible.

>trackpad, a trackpoint, a touchscreen and a pen digitizer
yeah and they're literally all garbage
you faggots memed me into buying an x220t and even though mine is mint the pen is trash compared to even a cheap wacom pad
stop shilling this garbage on here

>are you really willing to pay that much for a slightly higher resolution and processor? waaaayyy too pricey for me.
In what world is a Kaby Lake i7 "slightly" better than a Core 2 Duo?

What a pathetic comment.

p l a n n e d

o b s o l e s c e n c e

>I bet
>I prefer
Breaking news: you aren't me.

pa·thet·ic
pəˈTHedik/Submit
adjective
arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.
"she looked so pathetic that I bent down to comfort her"

i think you're using that word wrong, kiddo

You can always plug in a mouse, trackball, proper graphics tablet, light gun, penis pointing device, whatever you like, if you don't like the built in ones.

I for one find trackpoint and touchscreen pretty useful for certain tasks, though they make me wish for a mouse for other tasks.

I think you can't even read the definitions you yourself pasted.

2. miserably inadequate.

The first definition is not always the one that applies.

>the pen is trash compared to even a cheap wacom pad
Gee user, I assume you were expecting to pay 100 dollars and get a cintiq like experience with 4096 pressure levels. With that cash you can barely get the middle sized entry level intuos pen tablet. It works to make doodles and writing shit, that's what it was designed for.

I have an x220T and the pen is good enough for me. Were you expecting something on par with top of the line drawing tablets for $200?
In what world do you need a i7 on a laptop? Just remote control your desktop if you really need to something hardware intensive.

c o n t r i v e d
d u r a b i l i t y

also

r e d d i t

s p a c i n g

I don't know what the fuck you faggots are complaining about.
Laptops and integrated graphics have gotten to the point where I don't even use a desktop anymore, just a laptop connected to my monitor.
I haven't used a laptop in the last half decade that didn't work perfectly with linux too, when this used to be a major problem.
Things have gotten better, you're just stuck in the past.

I bought a T430 and I love it.
>extended battery for 8 hours of USE, not just stand by time.
>awesome docking stations for it.
>more usb ports than I'll ever need
>hard drive slot if i ever need it
>has a fucking handy ass reading light
>cooling system efficient enough for passing cooling for light stuff (youtube,Jow Forums) which saves battery power
>express card slot for external gpu
>designed to be serviced/upgraded.
>built like a tank
>niggers think its an old pos so they wont steal it.
Yes MUH THINKPAD because it's the shit.

well your memepad is only 5 years old so it's not too bad
niggers on here are meming fucking 7-10 year old machines

just the people who tell them what is important, follow the nose.

>extended battery for 8 hours of USE, not just stand by time.
This is average for laptops half its weight nowadays
>awesome docking stations for it.
Every laptop worth owning now has USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 which support docking stations that aren't proprietary and overpriced.
>more usb ports than I'll ever need
So, like two?
>hard drive slot if i ever need it
HDDs are garbage, especially for mobile devices.
>has a fucking handy ass reading light
For all those times I'm stranded in the wilderness away from civilization.
>cooling system efficient enough for passing cooling for light stuff (youtube,Jow Forums) which saves battery power
Again available on modern laptops half the weight.
>express card slot for external gpu
Thunderbolt 3
>designed to be serviced/upgraded.
Any part you should need to service is serviceable on modern devices as long as it isn't a macbook.
>built like a tank
*cracks*
>niggers think its an old pos so they wont steal it.
They also can't because it weighs six pounds.

I hate the luddites on Jow Forums who shill outdated machines built for legacy corporate bullshit instead of actual laptop use.

Why are you shilling for modern laptops so hard? The keyboards are awful, they're overpriced, most are absolutely not as serviceable as a thinkpad, no clit, no coreboot/libreboot, and all the fancy usb c/thunderbolt shit is useless unless you want to buy more overpriced shit. I have an Dell XPS and I wish I spent the money on a desktop and just stuck to my thinkpad.

Because modern laptops are leagues above where they were 5 or 10 years ago. They're actually portable, powerful, and feel good to use.

Keyboards are fine, price is better than your thinkpad when it was new, not as serviceable sure but still plenty serviceable, clits are a meme(there's a reason most manufacturers dropped them), nothing usable supports libreboot.
>and all the fancy usb c/thunderbolt shit is useless unless you want to buy more overpriced shit.
I literally have no idea what the fuck you're talking about with this. Your proprietary docks are shitty and overpriced while a $100 USB-C dock does basically everything you could ever want.

> I have an Dell XPS and I wish I spent the money on a desktop and just stuck to my thinkpad.
Oh that explains it, you use your laptop primarily at your desk like a retard and bitch about the minor grievances that modern devices have to actually be portable.

ThinkPadfags BTFO.

>In what world do you need a i7 on a laptop? Just remote control your desktop if you really need to something hardware intensive.
I would find an i3 or i5 a more reasonable choice, though there are use cases for a laptop with an i7. Either way it's leagues better than a fucking Core 2 Duo. It will be able to run modern desktop environments, browse the web normally in a non-crippled browser, and play HD videos on that high res IPS screen without transcoding them to something shitty and bloated first.

Looks > Functionality

>It will be able to run modern desktop environments,
Where are you getting this bullshit from? My x220 can easily run even windows 10 let alone linux DEs. What the hell kind of DE are you using?

The best part of trackpoint is being able to do everything without moving a hand off the keyboard, and no trackpad will ever be able to compete with this.

>Keyboards are fine
Nope, they are all chiclets with non existent travel time. I would rather buy a tablet and use a touch screen then type on those pieces of crap.
>you use your laptop primarily at your desk
When did I say that? Why are you getting so defensive over someone not liking your toys, it's almost like you're a shill or something.

A Core 2 Duo can run Windows 10, but not all that well. And if you start more than a few programs it will lag. The biggest problem though is it's going to be fairly slow at modern web browsing.

This. Anyone denying this is deluding themselves.

well-designed chiclets beat the shit out of a lot of the mushy shit boards that ship with popular business marquis post-1999

Not true.

clearly you missed the joke,
its okay , you're not the target demographic

Attached: 1516578180387.png (709x748, 129K)

Most old laptops also have shit keyboards, aren't serviceable at all and have no clit.

What you are doing is comparing an old BUSINESS laptop to modern CONSUMER craptops.
Modern business laptops are far better than older ones.

You bought a Dell XPS.
You should have bought a Dell Latitude.
Your mistake.

Vaio X505

MUH CLIT MUH CLIT GUYS DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MUH THINKPAD WITH MUH CLIT
BUY A CUM COVERED USED LAPTOP FROM MY EBAY STORE THATS THE ONLY WAY TO LOOK L33T ON Jow Forums.
god if I had my way all you thinkfaggots would get the rope.