/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 2600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 2700X / i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: ZenPlus-Uarch.jpg (1279x636, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/rp4ykd
pcpartpicker.com/list/rVsq3b
youtube.com/watch?v=PUqVHbbcTgY
pcpartpicker.com/list/97c27W
pcpartpicker.com/list/XcwNq4
pcpartpicker.com/list/Jj8n7W
pcpartpicker.com/list/P6MBZR
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200048
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200072R
amazon.com/gp/product/B002KTVFTE
pcpartpicker.com/list/LJxn7W
microcenter.com/product/5000148/AMD_Ryzen_5_1600,_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_Gaming_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
microcenter.com/product/5001827/AMD_Ryzen_5_2600_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler,_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_Gaming_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

More please

Attached: soft.png (476x639, 313K)

Best case fans for corsair 200r?

What sizes does it support and how many do you want to buy?

Is 2600 OCed a better purchase than 2600X OCed? I read they will have the same performance at a reasonable OC level, is that true?

assuming they reach the same overclock, they will both perform identically.

Comes with 2 stock, 1 in front 1 in back.
Im guessing adding one to top is next step but im not sure

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-21-15-09-57.png (1440x2560, 231K)

What gpu argggh I don't know if I should get 1440p or 144hz 1080p monitor for some gaming and mostly other shit like 100 tabs open on chrome. Bought a 2700x already and gonna get 32 gb ram just don't know what to do about monitor situation was thinking 4k but it's to expensive and is it even worth it?

if you OC them to the same level they will perform the same
the 2600x has the better cooler though

I should've mentioned a game as a reference, my mistake, ~150 FPS in Overwatch on the lowest settings.
I already have about 80 FPS in the actual game but my CPU is both pretty old and always really hot and my RAM is DDR3 668MHz.

Attached: current PC specs.png (480x425, 23K)

Am I understanding correctly, Ryzen and Ryzen 2 use the same motherboards and sockets? Which will better work with a GTX 1060 3 GB, 3 2200G or 5 1600?

are you planning to watch videos?
if so I would recommend a 1080p monitor since thats the standard and 1080 looks horrible on 1440p monitors
if you arent playing games you could go 2 1080p 60hz monitors
if you are playing games then go 1080p 144hz

if you are using a dedicated gpu go 1600
you might also consider the 2600x if it isn't too expensive for you
you can overclock it to 4.0ghz on all cores at very low voltages so you wouldnt even need to get another cooler

Goddammit im fucking retarded.

Need to build new gaming machine because i bought a vr headset. already have a 4k 60hz monitor with FREESYNC that my currenty gpu. cant handle and it wont handle vr either

Only decent gpu for it is a 1080ti but the prices are retarded and i need freesync

only close card for amd is a fucking vega 64 which is inferior and even more expensive

Attached: thisisgud.jpg (364x270, 39K)

why do you need freesync?
does the vr headset use freesync or just the monitor?
I don't know how that works desu

Now I just need to figure out how this 32GB SSD cache drive is supposed work. The RAID utility on boot says it's disabled and it doesn't show up in drive management. So, am I supposed to create a RAID volume? Does it just werk?

no idea if vr does freesnyc but i doubt it.
I just like not having screen tearing and i hate vsync mouse lag which is why my current gpu and monitor setup supports freesync. I also already have a freesync monitor so getting nvidia would mean wasting the extra money spent on the monitor

freesync doesn't add any significant cost unlike gsync
I would just focus on getting what you can that will run your monitor and headset
its better to have some screen tearing or input lag rather than not being able to use them at all

that is unless you feel like waiting

I got 32GB of DDR4 @2400mhz non-ecc unbuffered ram for $250~. Good deal or not?

lowest I can find on pcpartpicker is $280 so it seems pretty decent

I recently got a bunch of working WD Green Drives for free (they work fine.), the only issue is the annoying fucking intellipark feature.

I've heard Crystaldiskinfo can disable intellipark or at least change how long till the heads reset, does anyone have any experience with it?

it has the same cooler as 1600, they downgraded the cooler on 2600 (but muh based amd)

yeah im currently disabling it on my seagate hdd using hddparm + windows built in task scheduler (you have to disable it each boot)

The X variants make more sense this time around since they bring coolers and have XFR2. Sure, you could go and try and OC a 2600 so that it's 4.2GHz at all cores, or you can just let XFR2 do its thing and lower clocks per core use. It's not like the previous one that had only two clock modes: one for single/dual thread and another for multithread. This one scales accordingly per workload, so you could have a very good single thread OC while still retaining good clocks when using all cores.

is a 2600 enough for a futureproof fhd 144hz build? Paired with a 1080 and 16gb gskill 3200 ddr4. Or the gpu gets bottlenecked? In any case, is the 2600x to be preferred?

Thanks I will have to read up on XFR2.

I was comparing the 2600 to the 2600x
I'm aware it has the same cooler as the 1600
you can get the 2600x to 4.0ghz with like 1.2v so the cooler is good

I really like the thought of rocking a flashy new R7 2700X, but the i5-2500K has never let me down. How do I justify buying an unnecessarily powerful CPU?

you don't. wait for 7nm

pcpartpicker.com/list/rp4ykd

Plan on gaming at 1440p/144hz with the 1180 whenever it comes out. Is this sufficient on the CPU side? Need to upgrade since some my current parts are dying and I only have 8GB of DDR3 anyway.

Ditch the closed loop liquid meme cooler and grab yourself a NH-D1*. The 8600k is fine, but I'd go with a 2600x over that. Even moreso I would go with a 8700k for pure gayming or a 2700x for very close performance in gaymes and just about better performance in everything else.

> implying 7nm will be the holy grail of CPU performance

I bet my left nut it's going te be about 10% more powerful

Gaming-related, I get FPS stutter/drops kind of like a streaming issue. My GPU is a 1080Ti. I know that my CPU is extremely underpowered for this card, using just a ryzen 3 1300x at factory clocks. I am also using an external 7200rpm HDD to load games from. Now, I'm fully aware that both of these are the issue. My question is, which one is ruining performance MOST.

I can upgrade to a Ryzen 7 1700X right now, or a m.2 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB. Which one will serve me best for the short-term? (I will eventually buy both)

TL;DR- Can't afford CPU and SSD right now. Which upgrade is best?

I bet my right nut that they will release a 3600 with 6-8 cores at 5Ghz.

>G4560
Jesus fucking Christ

*2700X

I just ordered pic related for my pc but I'm scared that it will bottleneck my CPU. I'm using an i5 4670k. Do I need a new CPU? or is the one I'm using fine?

forgot pic

Attached: 1080.jpg (221x229, 10K)

Let's say I purchased RAM rated on its packaging for 3000MHz. The RAM itself has to be overclocked in bios to reach that speed, it actually starts out at 2400MHz. Stands to reason that the faster rated RAM will also be like that, right?
I might be retarded here, but I can just keep OC'ing RAM right?

>2700x is on the way

Attached: 1523743718248.png (657x527, 29K)

if you can't afford an upgrade on the CPU, just OC it
only thing you can't OC is storage so go for that

>convinced my friend to buy a 2700X instead of wasting 1000$ on an i9
I did my part

it's just a good time to upgrade - 7nm, ddr5 ram etc.

You sorta fucked with 1300X. Just 4core 4 thread version of the Ryzen. The weakest variant of Ryzen.

Going from 4 core/thread 1300x to 8 core 16 thread 1700x is HUGE. Personally you'd benefit more optimally if you go for 1600/2600.

If you had to choose between the CPU/SSD, go for CPU. 4 core is a huge limit right now for most case, especially on a limited sub 4Ghz 4core.

he'll be disappointed for having 2 less cores congrats

>buy ryzen
>dont oc
damn dude
if you're playan at 1440/4k just oc
otherwise upgrade the cpu
buying an ssd only reduces loading times
oc
youre good

is there no way you could move your HDD to a sata connection?
it would also help if you use a USB 3.1 gen 2 connection if possible

other than that the CPU would likely be best to change first
you could check with HWInfo64 if you would like

nice try intel

it s always the same shit , then 7nm comes and someone will say , "DUDE WAIT FOR 5NM "

>is there no way you could move your HDD to a sata connection?
I have an internal SATA HDD but it's only 1TB and I use it for media more than games. I might try installing a game to that and compare.
>it would also help if you use a USB 3.1 gen 2 connection if possible
I'm using 3.1 gen 1. Is gen 2 much of a leap?
>other than that the CPU would likely be best to change first
Ok, I think I'll do that for now.
>you could check with HWInfo64 if you would like
I know what this software is, but what do you mean by this? Isn't this program just a list of your components?

Ok thanks. I'm really only interested in resolving this stuttering/fps dip than I am about 4K. What kind of performance can you expect from OC'ing a 1300X anyways (on stock cooler)?

Thank you user. I am pretty sure I'll do the CPU upgrade first now. I understand the suggestion of 2600X but I want to have a bit of future proofing, and I think the comparison with the i7 8600K is too appealing for the price (I found a 2700X for even less than retail price).

Yay, switching boot to UEFI and reinstalling 10 got it to work.

Attached: Untitled.png (946x710, 60K)

Anyone know if a r7 2700x or i7 8700k would be better for using large complex brushes on high resolution canvases in Krita and similar software? Occasionally I have Blender open for reference at the same time.

From what I've seen, the 2700x is faster at rendering in Blender, and the 8700k is better in games. I want to know what would be less likely to lag when using Krita and similar software.

Please help me.

Attached: 1499202487362.png (555x776, 296K)

my guess is 3.8-4
all depends on the silicon lottery and how high you're willing to let the temps get
i have a trash 1600 and hit a wall at 3.75
yours is an x model so it's probably a better bin
burn cd's

Guys, is there any raven ridge ready mobo?

>inb4 AMD gives you a shitty CPU to update BIOS

not were I live

want to build a gaming computer to play the most recent titles preferably on high to ultra settings.

Thoughts on this build? 1080p monitor 60hz

pcpartpicker.com/list/rVsq3b

pretty much everything that comes from a vendor with high througput should have a BIOS version new enough. The X470 boards definetly do, but thats kinda overkill for raven ridge. Just ask your vendor.

Anybody having experience with M.2 SSD located right under GPU? I can't find any reasonable answers on the internets.

I'm still rocking good ole GTX 780, which gets to +70°C in modern games quite easily and this drive would be literally milimeters below it.
I want to buy M.2 SSD, but I'm quite worried about the temps, especially that I want it to be my system drive, obviously.

you have more SATA connections you could use right? or is it a problem with no brackets for the
HDD
3.1 gen 2 is 10gbps while gen 1 is 5gbps. Sata 3.0 is 6gbps
that is why I think cpu is more important to upgrade
HWInfo64 allows you to see the load of your components
so you can see if your gpu is being throttled by the cpu

>1600 with the 2000 series out
>novidea
>16gb ram
100 burgers for case
>120 burgers for kb+m

Attached: your post.png (367x403, 5K)

dammit forgot a meme arrow

I guess it won't affect it. The heat should spread up and out, not down. Otherwise your motherboard would start melting.

I'd save up for a 2700x and meanwhile overclock the 1300x
youtube.com/watch?v=PUqVHbbcTgY

R8 my $1K build, I just want 1080p 60 fps and the newest game I have is Alien: Isolation, but when I get this system together I want to get some newer games like Doom and Planet Coaster.
pcpartpicker.com/list/97c27W
First timer btw so pls use lube

Attached: 1463200116519.jpg (601x601, 106K)

And I'd say it works, though it looks like it's bottlenecking on the SSD for sequential writes.

Attached: Untitled.png (802x692, 1.04M)

hows this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/XcwNq4

>optical drive
cute

Can't give advice on this build as I know nothing myself but 4GB 570 sounds bad... but then again i ran alien isolation on a 6770 1GB soooooOOoOooOOOooooo.........

pcpartpicker.com/list/Jj8n7W
I would go with this at the same price
1060 6gb is stronger and a smaller SSD with a bigger HDD will be good for gaymen
if you already have an HDD you can switch it back

if anything the airflow is going to be beneficial. The GPU gets 70°C, the heatspreader a lot less, and the air around it even less. The hot air should get blown out to the sides and then up, out of your case. Not down.

Would it be worth it to suck it up and pay the extra $300 for a GTX 1070?

are nzxt cases a meme Jow Forums?

Also best 1440p 140+ hz monitor? I've read that the acer one is good but jesus christ that predator logo is aids.

Sure, look for a B350 motherboard that's not the Pro4 or the Gaming Pro with a Ryzen 2000 Ready sticker. Go to some retailers or call them to find out

probably not
you could look up benchmarks and decide what $300 means to you though

shizuku a cute

Some games are unoptimized pieces of shit that a 1060 6GB won't lock you at 60fps. But there aren't that many games like that, and those that are aren't very good anyway. Stick with 1060 6GB if you can handle dropping a few (not all) settings down from Ultra to High/Medium.

Do you have a case? Otherwise it looks good.
>Buying windows
Just get a key off Kinguin or something.

pcpartpicker.com/list/P6MBZR
My friend is selling me his 1600 for $120, otherwise I'd go Ryzen 2. I've already got some hard drives.
What monitor should I go for with this build? Budget is $300. Not gonna do anything that needs accurate colors, just vidya and music production.

AOC AG241QX

I looked up the benchmarks, and it looks like the 1070 is a bit overkill, considering virtually all my games are 5+ years old, so I'll go with the 1060.
Thank you frens

Attached: 1488570768908.jpg (1375x645, 83K)

yes i do
thanks

This was the ceiling exhaust fan on my case. The fan blade part slipped out and fell straight down, one of the blades cracked off against either my mobo or video card. Thankfully my PC still works perfectly.

I need a new 120mm case fan, what's the best cheap one I can buy? Hoping to spend

Attached: 20180421_160553.jpg (4032x3024, 3.27M)

>buy ryzen
>ask for a bios update
>get the computer 5 days later
>mount all the parts
>turn on
>Nothing on screen

How much chance that they fucked up / forgot to do the bios update ?
I checked that everything was good twice
PSU turns on, all fans turns on including PSU fan, hdd seems to be on too. Only thing is that I don't have anything onscreen

It's out of stock right now, but I've had some of these for about a year and a half and they still work well. newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200048

A four pack is in stock for $15 though. newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200072R

Isn't 1440p gonna be a struggle with a 1600+1060?

Oops, that four pack is not the same fan. They are 1200rpm while the first one I linked is 200rpm.

no problem
that will be $4.99 plus tip

I ended up just buying this. It was super cheap and highly rated, thanks anyways. For 4, that's a great deal, but all I really need is 1 right now.

amazon.com/gp/product/B002KTVFTE

I have no idea when this actually happened. I was just cleaning off my PC case and noticed there was no air being shot up and that's when I realize the blade had fallen off. This is the first time I've ever seen this sort of thing happen before, but I guess it's to be expected. The ceiling fan has been fighting gravity all of this time.

depends entirely on what you play and what settings you expect. I'm pushing a 1440p monitor with a 4 year old R9 290 and have absolutely no issues whatsoever. Only playing older stuff right now, but battlefield 4 and 1 still get more than 100 FPS with ~medium settings.

In the worst case you can just reduce the resolution, the interpolation of newer monitors works well enough. And 1440p is a big benefit for everything non gaming related as well.

I'd get this
pcpartpicker.com/list/LJxn7W
With one of these
microcenter.com/product/5000148/AMD_Ryzen_5_1600,_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_Gaming_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle
microcenter.com/product/5001827/AMD_Ryzen_5_2600_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler,_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_Gaming_CPU-Motherboard_Bundle

plugged the hdmi into the mobo and not the gpu? :^)

You don't need a fan in every slot.

Just need to find the pressure you want. My S340 came with 2x120mm mounted rear and top exhaust. I moved the top 120 to a bottom front intake to get some positive pressure, and now I have 2x140mm as front intake for more positive pressure at slower/quieter speeds. There's a dust filter on the top vent and the 120mm is sitting in my mobo box.

Drop the bluray drive, go with the Ryzen 5 2600 for a little more. Seriously, pretty sure you still need special licensed software to even play blurays on your computer. It's bullshit

Also pay a little bit more for a 1060 6GB. They're going as low as $330 now. Easily on par with a 580.

>FULL ATX TOWER
Is this a troll? You're making a huge mistake. I had the same idea when I was a teen and after that I never got another one.

it's a ryzen 3 2200G and I'm not using a gpu

What is bad about full tower cases?

i was waiting for zen 2 but my computer is giving his last breath

it insta reboots when i launch any game, but doesnt crash on prime95 for some strange reason

anyway i have a 2500K laying around, if i could buy a chink board and use it until 2019

am i doing it right

Attached: windows update.jpg (700x933, 81K)

GPU may be shot, or if your PSU is multi-rail the rail the GPU is on is bad.

Is the i3 8100 stock cooler any good?

If not, what's a cheap one that works well?

Extreme budge build here. Just bought a thinkstation with a x3430. can anyone recommend a super cheap graphics card to finish it off?

It's more than enough for what it needs to do.

Massive waste of space unless you need 16 drives and a E-ATX motherboard with an extra large PSU, or two.

You're paying more to take up more of your space without any purpose from the looks of that build. It's pointless and when you want to change furniture it'll get in the way because of the size.