/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/ (currently not working, possibly indefinitely)
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: ThinkPad_X60_Series_with_Libreboot.jpg (3095x1911, 897K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VrDnTXqoqjM
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-Motherboard-Upgrade-to-Nvidia/td-p/2096626
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Before this one turns to shit does anyone have input on this post?

Lads im worried about the future. If the battery on older models is so shit itll only become shittier.

why not a T530?, although a T430 would be nice too

Anyone know what that user talking about a 3k display on a t440p was on about? I still cannot find any evidence something like that exists.
Also, is it worth it to buy a legit replacement battery instead of a knockoff? They're all going for 100 bucks or more on Amazon.

You can just change the cells inside the battery. I think battery DRM prevents this on newer thinkpads, thanks lenovo.
youtube.com/watch?v=VrDnTXqoqjM

>17Wh usage on average
>3 hour battery life
Yeah, I think I'm gonna shell out the cash.

I think the T530 is just as wide as the W series, just thinner no? I'd be looking for as small a replacement as possible

I bought a legit 9 cell from Lenovo for my W510, it was the only big battery with really high Wh, cost nearly $200 CAD, worth it imo

and slightly lighter, iirc.
>I'd be looking for as small a replacement as possible
Then get the T430, or a 2570p

>tfw can’t decide whether Librebooted x200 for principles and morality or New chinkpad X210 with 8’th gen CPU, Intel 620 GPU, 32 GB DDR4 ram, 1080p FHD IPS in x200 with chink assembled motherboard and cpu

The right thing is to go for libreboot right?

Attached: 74128E63-7E4B-4310-9D26-41C4E97C6DC8.png (657x539, 110K)

What mystifies me is how a 100Wh battery would give me 6 hours of usage given my system's power consumption under Debian despite multiple reviews claiming at least 10 hours of usage under Windows on the same battery.
Does Linux power management still suck that much?

wow it's almost like reviews are paid for and dont test real world usag

Oh wow, I didn't know this was possible. Thanks a lot dude.

>$200
>worthy it
holy steve jobs
no, definitively it isn't
Aliexpress will provide you with legit ones, not just knock offs. Cheaper than Amazon, longer shipping times.
Check your Debian, I guess. I get easily 6 hours with real world usage with 6 cell batteries from 2014 as well

Just buy a legit battery. I've seen to many people myself included be burned by chink shit batteries that lose 50% capacity in the first month.

probably okay but the autist in me says t420 with cpu/screen upgrade

x250 i5, 8 gb of ram, 180 gb ssd, ips display, ~320€ y/n?

not sure if I should get this one or an x230 for ~100€ less

$200 Canadian, friend. Certainly not the end of the world for a big batter

>Canadian
same.
>not the end of the world
w/e floats your boat, m8, that's your money.

Attached: same shit.png (1249x788, 349K)

yes user
honestly i own a dedicated desktop botnet and two libreboot machines entirely separated from that
i never leave traces between the two identities, feels like i've found the perfect way to live with the botnet

Is the 420 a lot more modifiable than the 430?

it's easier to flash the bios, screen replacement is same for both, t420 supports 3rd gen i7 so on par with 430, except no need to cahnge keyboard
chink batteries are also not blacklisted in t420

Would you consider a keyboard replacement on the T430 a must?

yes but i'm autistic, quite literally
i just really like the shape and i just couldn't stand the new ones after using the old
if you're gonna buy a chinkpad i say go full autism (besides t400 libreboot) and have the real thing

can I use a t420 keyboard on a t430?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
yes

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 87K)

I do like the keyboard on my 510, I've used chiclet keyboard thinkpads in work and never really had a problem with them, my biggest beef was the trackpads with integrated buttons. The more I think about it the more I do want to hold on to an older style keyboard though

thanks.

your master plan has been foiled already, since you admitted to it on an NSA forum
it's a Schroedinger's cat situation
you can be autismal without being autismal, or better, be a normie while being autismal
a normie wouldn't bother to replace the keyboard, OTOH an autismal won't stand a makeshift option
I find the keyboard meme the biggest ThinkPad meme ever, key actuation is the same. On the other hand, the lack of physical trackpad buttons on stock T440p is quite annoying if you're trying to get the Real Business Experience

Attached: >that bulge.jpg (1356x738, 136K)

>foiled
i'm on a public network :^)

....like Dread Pirate Roberts when he was arrested (^:

i heard that dumbass got busted because he was using social media with his tor ID
might just be chatter to discredit him and help the cia niggers hold people's guards down

Is the t430 the last "true" thinkpad of the T series?

Which i7 CPU specifically would you recommend?

Is it pretty common for ebay sellers to ship at the last second? I bought my x201 and the last day for expected delivery is monday.

>3720qm W530 with cracked vent and no hdd on ebay auction
>put in final bid milliseconds too early
>outbidded by 10 dollars
>some pajeet gets it for 200 aud

fug :-DDD

usually they ship right away unless you order on a weekend
my latest purchase was an exception though, it didn't get shipped until two days before the expected date
still made it on time though

I bought it on april 6th when I won the bid. Says Estimated delivery Mon, Apr 16 - Mon, Apr 23.

Wonder if they're doing this on purpose so they can re-list the item. Nobody really was bidding on it and I got it for about 56 dollars.

To the user asking about Nvidia Quadro graphics on the t420 in the last thread

forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-Motherboard-Upgrade-to-Nvidia/td-p/2096626

>I find the keyboard meme the biggest ThinkPad meme ever, key actuation is the same
The actuation of the chicklets is fine. The keys themselves are not. Nor is the layout OK. I actually use the sixth and seventh row.
And since I don't have to change.... I won't.

>be me
>have a T440p
>do the trackpad swap
>the trackpoint no longer works
>the trackpad works like a generic one
>ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS says that I have a ALPS Glider and the trackpoint doesn't work
>but the synaptics drivers that everyone recommends work fine in Windows 7(albeit they don't enable the trackpoint)
What the heck I'm doing wrong, lads?
I'm using Windows 7.

This desu.
The feel is superior, but the layout is retarded as fuck.

How much should I be selling a w520 for

Nice vid.

I had to remove a couple of DE panel iterms that wouldn't let the CPU go into low power states.

Check cabling.
Get a better distro.

No, you're thinking of the t420.

Cabling is fine.
I'll use Fedora to watch what the hell is hapening in there.

Tried to compare TN vs IPS for fun since i upgraded last week, the picture taken doesn't do justice, TN is horrible in comparison, i need to order another one.

Attached: 20180422_094333.jpg (1152x864, 80K)

I'll give you 20 shekels

will the x220i battery fit on a x230?

hi. im getting a thinkpad off ebay for around £300. i want either the t440 or x1 carbon. which one is better?

I debated grabbing an X1 Carbon before the upgradability of the T440p + replaceable battery made me switch. The 440 is going to have somewhat worse upgrade options compared to the p though, so keep that in mind.

i was looking at the t440p but was not sure about weight and thickness of the p. i used a gaming laptop for work for a while and hated how massive and heavy it was. what is the p like in battery life?

I'm a bad person to ask on battery life since my battery is old and I haven't replaced it yet. By the numbers, I should be getting at least 7 once I get the 100Wh battery, right now with an older 45Wh battery I'm getting around 3 and a half or so.
Is weight that big a deal for you? The p model is only about 20% heavier if memory serves.

Units for battery life are hours, sorry. Was a retard and didn't fully proofread before hitting submit.

What Thinkpad do you guys use /would use for Pentesting?

Attached: PenTesting.jpg (480x270, 23K)

Someone hack this email [email protected]

I'm on it
while I'm doing it visit this website to get his IP address, you can use it to ddos him.
lemonparty.fr

Attached: dvdrewinder 2.jpg (800x649, 39K)

ok. yeah the weights kinda of a big deal since 70% of its use is being carried around, on my lap or on my stomach if im in bed. my new one wont be doing much heavy work unless im on a flight and want to play some games. only thing about the carbon is the storage is m.2 and i have a spare 1tb ssd that i would shove in the t440

I use Windows 8.1 on my T420. I’ll nuke it and reinstall my OS today. Is there any reason to upgrade to W10?

No bully pls.

Thoughts on I7-2860qm for a t420?

I don't have the nvidia gpu and I already have a 95w power adapter, and those were two of the biggest hurdles to a quad core upgrade according to what i've read online. Other than that the biggest obstacle is overheating and throttling but I can regulate that with throttlestop/tpfancontrol.

I use W10 on my t420, there's nothing about it that makes it especially usable/unusable on a thinkpad, so it's up to personal preference.

Getting a new laptop for work. Will be doing light dev work, so atleast a 7th gen i5 is necessary. Want a really thin one as well. Please let me know which thinkpad is best

Thinkpad T25

ThinkPad T470s/T470 or something along those lines

kek

>Windows users in my /tpg/

Attached: 1502792191226.jpg (853x480, 38K)

What drivers did you have to manually install?

For me it was; fingerprint scanner, card reader, and WWAN adapter - none of which I use but I don’t want question marks in my device manager because autism. Everything else works as expected?

And I’d hate to commit but find out that “Lul, you can’t activate with that W8 product key, m8, the free ‘upgrade’ is over”, knowing Microshit. It won’t be a waste of time, will it?

It’s the ((((((((((industry))))))))) ””””””””””standard”””””””””” - I get no choice for some of my main software.

>T25
kek
>T470
double kek
>light dev work
literally any, i5 processors are all M unless you pick some S series
there's barely any difference from the third generation onwards, Moore's Law has been pretty much defeated performance-wise
even T420 is fine anyway
T430 is arguably fine
T440p grants you IPS without modding too much
anything "newer" is way overkill

I actually don't remember having to install anything, but I have an unknown "Base System Device" which might have something to do with my dock.

I highly suspect it’s one of the 3 I mentioned. You can narrow it down exactly if you google it, not that it matters if you don’t use it.

T480

it's the card reader from what i gather. I don't have a camera so idc

T25 is just a T470 with the classic keyboard, why do you hate it so much?

bump

price and its a cheap attempt to lure fans of the older designs in

because it's going to rape your wallet for no reason at all?

It's Lenovo off loading unsold stock

>T25 is just a T470 with the classic keyboard, why do you hate it so much?
>T25 is just a T470

Attached: 456745464.jpg (1202x1098, 266K)

i need a laptop for work
i have lots of downtime and i will often hook up a monitor to it cause i cant stand using a single monitor
just wanna install linux and work with shitty frameworks and watch streams on the other monitor
what configuration would you recommend

>there's nothing about it that makes it especially usable/unusable
the mouse drivers for the trackpoint suck ass. the max speed is way too low, the middle button doesn't work as middle click, and middle button scrolling is completely broken in almost all applications.

Does this work on thinkpad batteries? That's pretty neat.

Attached: 1524149670287.jpg (640x480, 37K)

X200.

>$783
That is the base configuration with the lowest specs, the T25 is a high end model.

What is your budget?

T25 has worse specs then the T470

Do you think Rossmann post in /tpg/?

He has an actual job, I don't think so.

$700-$800
i just wanna know what configuration i need to look for

Hey /tpg/!

If you're just wanting to browse the web, watch videos, and program, a Librebooted device is the best thing in the world.

Attached: Aesthetic_Librebooted_W500.jpg (2136x1424, 1.84M)

Id stay away from anything that has a chink bios

It depends on how you configure it.

You can get up to three (3) good thinkpads with that budget
Even a T420 allows for two external monitors
"shitty frameworks & streams" will just work without too much hassle
T440p, W541 are high end solutions already
and for (at most) half your budget

can you libreboot a t60p?? could get one with dockingstation for 60bucks

Where do you guys buy thinkpads?

Attached: 1523855434420.png (400x400, 107K)

i'm trying to buy on ebay but i heard people buying from forums and such or (((friends)))

/technically/ you can, but there won't be any video output since the ATI GPU requires proprietary initialisation code.

That's still a good deal though, and an Intel T60 mobo is only about $20.

Found a good deal for a NEW T480, any thoughts about this model in particular? This would be my first "contemporary" ThinkPad.
Anyone else have this?

Attached: 1496459358220.jpg (590x424, 32K)

Im planning on buying one soon, from the reviews it seems getting the better screen is worth it.

T480 comes with single heatpipe cooler that chokes on new quad core ulv cpus, but only if you get the version without dedicated nvidia gpu. With nvidia gpu you get dual heatpipes, but you lose 2x lanes on thunderbolt 3 because those lanes are now used for dgpu. I own T480s which has dual heatpipes in either igpu or dgpu configuration and even with undervolting, replaced thermal paste to grizzly kryonaut and perfect conditions(100% fan) the cpu can easily exceed 90c, also mine had terrible stock thermal paste applications, thinkpads sure have poor quality control these days. Also T480 has some stupid shit with m.2 drives which you get adapter for in the 2.5 inch sata bay, so you can't have both 2.5 inch and m.2 alongside.