How do i read this book?

What is the correct way to read this book?

Attached: SICP_cover.jpg (400x579, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wikihow.com/Read-a-Book
bitbucket.org/snippets/Tetsumi/ke6jL4/sicp
github.com/qiao/sicp-solutions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In Japanese.

Probably to supplement the lectures given by Abelson

With your eyes, hopefully.

You gotta wear the appropriate socks.

From left to right.

opposite direction from animes

Try opening the book!

like facing away from my tv??

kill yourself brainless faggot

no, like getting laid

in your parents' basement

wikihow.com/Read-a-Book

You throw it into the trash and buy a copy of K&R instead.

>getting laid in order to read the wizard book

I read the first two chapters. I don't like it, it makes me feel like a brainlet. I probably need to watch the lessons like said.

Though fuck them for using scheme and lisp, it's awful with parenthesis everywhere.

hardcore autist successfully baited and captured.

It's a book meant for first year MIT STEM students. Yup, it'll be difficult af.

>it's awful with parenthesis everywhere.
parentheses are for the computer. Us humans are meant to use indentation.
If you can't deal with that, you're probably an aspie.

The fact that this is an actual thing is worrying

you dont

Our university used that book for the introductory course in programming for 1st semester CS students. But as high school grades went down, it was dropped in favour of something more simple.

The Wizard Book is not for everyone. Once you find an editor that supports you, Scheme is a pretty fun language to toy around with, though. The main advantage is that you don't have to program everything out, Scheme evaluates what it can/knows and gives you partial results.

I used Scheme extensively for my graph algorithms and also wrote a few extensions to GIMP in it.

TeXinfo format in Emacs

put it in shreder

Not sure about Scheme, but for the Emacs Lisp docu, that actually worked pretty well. You could edit the text, place the cursor after a ()ed expression, and C-x C-e would evaluate it on the spot.

No, the lectures supplement the book.

Read the Greeks first.

>parentheses are for the computer. Us humans are meant to use indentation.

You can do a lot of naughty things with parenthesis that you cannot do with indentation, like moving things around quickly, splitting and grouping s-expression and so on. Plus they are easier ho understand: no need to remember precedence of operator and so on.
Indentation is actually one of the worst thing possible for a programming language. Its harder to see when a block ends.

t. doesn't understand a thing about scheme

Learn recursion and use pencil and paper as support.

this

I'm currently going through it -- I'm not terribly far in, but I'm slowly making progress.

* Use DrRacket (the GUI) to run and edit your code. Be sure to load up either r5rs or sicp as the used language.
* Read the book from start to finish.
* Really try to do as many exercises as you can. Exceptions to this are the "for shits and giggles" oddities: case in point, exercise 2.6.

I've had a math background, so most of the math stuff wasn't too bad -- I felt that the book held your hand through most of it, and as long as you paid attention to the concepts and trial-and-errored, you could get the answers.

And with tinfoil hat

Drop it and read pic related.

Attached: 1509946423028.jpg (260x224, 13K)

>indentation makes it harder to see when a block ends
Just shoot me now.

Attached: 1505657640681.png (657x527, 29K)

Have you read TAOCP?

I, like everyone on this planet except Knuth, would lie if I said I read EVERYTHING. But I did go through most of it, stuff like Snow Plow in the third volume is simple yet clever, and you won't find it anywhere else.
I did complete the first two volumes and currently working my way through the third. Though I still consult them from time to time, after all they are a reference, and I just can't remember every single thing. But it has taught me far more than any programming book ever could, including SICP.

Attached: 1514793533665.png (1351x1054, 437K)

you read it by putting it under your pillow for a week
then after 7 days pass you throw it into a nearby dumpster

Thank you for this, do have any similar ones?

In english.

Man am i a brainlet? I tried reading this book and while i kind of liked the chapters i couldnt even do 1 excercise.

Like how the fuck do you guys know about all those super hard math problems? They didnt even make sense to me.

all this lisp tards
super retarded people
COMPLETY IGNORE MEMORY MANAGEMENT
LIKE MEMORY IS INFINITY AND CAN BE EASY FOLDED LIKE TRASH CAN AND MAGICALY SORTED AND TETRIS-ED
THE RESULT IS- USELESS PEOPLE WHO CAN SING A SWEET SONG ONLY

Attached: 02c844f7-1e14-4b32-95d6-bed5177ca921.jpg (361x361, 25K)

Left to right, like my chinese cartoons, I think.

Attached: froggy2.png (1012x1800, 2.66M)

get racket and install the racket package for sicp
read the html5 version
watch the lessons from uc berkeley.

bitbucket.org/snippets/Tetsumi/ke6jL4/sicp

Attached: guidosicp.png (601x623, 100K)

or go full 1980s mode

linux synaptic package manager:
mit-scheme-dbg:i386
-------------------------------
help: ctrl+H m
evaluate: ctrl+X ctrl+E

Attached: x.png (1430x860, 11K)

Read it a decade ago. There's solutions online and on github.

Here's one of them:

github.com/qiao/sicp-solutions

If you're a cs student than i recommend going through all the examples and problems in the book.

If you're picking up coding as a hobby or want to work on a startup, spend your time building projects.

Attached: 1524355079839.jpg (1081x1920, 398K)

To add to that. Yes there are going to concepts that require a re-read and some problems will be tough. Its supposed to be like that. This isn't high school, you're building skills that someday some one will pay you money for. Work hard, dedicate time to the book daily and build a routine. Once you find your cadence, you'll find you'll pick up things easier.

Attached: 1524406946605.jpg (460x679, 83K)

do u have lewds
also recommend me lewds

The correct way is to read "The little schemer" first.
It will take you maybe five evenings.

After that start reading SICP and DO THE FREAKING EXERCISES.
I'd also suggest looking up the solutions if it's to hard for you. But the important point is to really try each exercise, even if you fail.

OK, I'll be honest:
Nobody did all the exercises. Some of them are just too mathematical. But you should do as many of them as you can.

Outsource an indian to read it for you

turn it upside down

Attached: 1510387431945.jpg (640x633, 42K)

Does anyone have an epub or pdf of this diabolical tome?

Attached: 6183236.jpg (460x306, 24K)

>this is your brain on C

Attached: eggs.jpg (1024x768, 121K)

1. vpn
2. gen lib rus
3. thank me

see

>not starting with the Babylonians

Thanks

why a vpn?