Godot language

Best language for Godot?

I'm planning on learning Godot now, because it looks really, really good now. But now there is several options for scripting. So what should I use.

And note the actual programming language's difficulty doesn't mean much to me, because Godot's language would probably take 5 minutes to learn, and I program in C++ and C# almost an equal amount.

Attached: godot.jpg (256x256, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/about/faq.html#doc-faq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I prefer C#, because I can easily switch between godot and Unity.

First read Godot docs before asking stupid questions like this.

I remember reading that they recommend using the godot language instead of the other options
Don't remember the reason

Just rtfm you faggot

Wow, it's almost like, they want to promote their creation over other people's. And you know, maybe I should ask the people that have experience using the engine. But no, you have to be toxic for no reason, and just make yourself look like a twat.

I'm just irritated that godot doesn't use go.
It seemed so obvious. It seemed so fun!

Well what the fuck do you expect? Its like buying a microwave and then asking us what not to put init() when you could just rtfm and it tells you in plain English what not to do with it.

It may be easier for them to reduce the amount of API breakages at their language level than closet to the implementation e.g cpp.

>But no, you have to be toxic for no reason,

Grow a pair goddamn.

Just use GDScript together with C++.
C# support will always require you to still use C++ in some situations because of the bindings overhead and will always be a second class citizen and additional bloat. Visual language is kind of broken, another aproach to stuff a normal language into visual patterns. All other bindings will be dropped sooner or later.
On the plus side static type checking support and JIT compilation are on the roadmap for GDScript.

C# was never made for game scripting. Lua was never made for game scripting. Python in particular was never made for game scripting.
No wonder almost any AAA engine comes with their own solution.
There are some game scripting languages out there as of 2018, but Unity's and Godots approach of engine scripting (instead of game scripting) is kind of silly.
Y'all need to listen to the sound of gid gud and do it in C++.

KILLIATE YOU'RE SELF
KILLIATE YOU'RE SELF
KILLIATE YOU'RE SELF

for fuck sakes
why can't you take a hint and read the fucking documentation

>Note that C# and Visual Scripting support is comparatively young and GDScript still has some advantages as outlined below.

docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/about/faq.html#doc-faq

why not give their scripting language a try first and then when you see that it maybe lacks something you want use something else?

>being this triggered by the truth

Would you recommend godot for someone who doesn't even know how to ""code""

how's the VR support

Whatever you're more comfortable with.

it looks pretty faggy idk man. why dont you use unity instead

>it looks pretty faggy idk man
idk bro, Unity looks pretty onions cuck if you know what I mean senpai lit

Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you?

Just use GDscript. It is way easier even if you already know C++ and C#

I'm certain nobody here has ever done anything making money in gamedev.... Unity is good cause external tooling is there to do some stuff that you'd eventualy want or need. Godot is free but at the same time, it's only free if your time is considered worthless

What you mean Godot looks faggy? Looks good to me senpai

>GDScript? Why use a custom scripting language instead of my language of choice?

>The short answer is that we think the additional complexity both on your side (when first learning Godot and GDScript) as well as our side (maintenance) is worth the more integrated and seamless experience over attracting additional users with more familiar programming languages that result in a worse experience. We understand if you would rather use another language in Godot (see list of supported options above), but we strongly encourage you to try it and see the benefits for yourself.

>GDScript is designed to integrate from the ground to the way Godot works, more than any other language, and is very simple and easy to learn. Takes at most a day or two to get comfortable and it’s very easy to see the benefits once you do. Please do the effort to learn GDScript, you will not regret it.

>Godot C++ API is also efficient and easy to use (the entire Godot editor is made with this API), and an excellent tool to optimize parts of a project, but trying to use it instead of GDScript for an entire game is, in most cases, a waste of time.

>Yes, for more than a decade we tried in the past integrating several VMs (and even shipped games using them), such as Python, Squirrel and Lua (in fact we authored tolua++ in the past, one of the most popular C++ binders). None of them worked as well as GDScript does now.

French or Irish, both are good

I don’t believe you. What are the technical reasons for the item above?

>The main reasons are:

>No good thread support in most script VMs, and Godot uses threads (Lua, Python, Squirrel, JS, AS, etc.).

>No good class extending support in most script VMs, and adapting to the way Godot works is highly inefficient (Lua, Python, JS).

>Horrible interface for binding to C++, results in large amount of code, bugs, bottlenecks and general inefficiency (Lua, Python, Squirrel, JS, etc.)

>No native vector types (vector3, matrix4, etc.), resulting in highly reduced performance when using custom types (Lua, Python, Squirrel, JS, AS, etc.).

>Garbage collector results in stalls or unnecessarily large memory usage (Lua, Python, JS, AS, etc.).

>Difficulty to integrate with the code editor for providing code completion, live editing, etc. (all of them). This is very well supported by GDScript.

>GDScript was designed to solve the issues above, and performs very well in all the above scenarios. Please learn GDScript and enjoy a very smooth integration of scripting with the game engine (yes, it’s a rare but very enjoyable situation when things just work). It’s worth it, give it a try!

Godot did nothing wrong

Godot is great, don't listen to this shill spreading FUD

Not shilling godot, it's fucking awesome for what it is, but unity is really there when you fucking need to deliver the game. It's not fucking perfect, it has a lot of flaws, but in the end unity made making game like a 1000 times less horrible.

what a basedboy. Keep your onions out of this board please.

Use C++. Scripting languages are garbage and C# is shit for game dev.