Where has this distro been all my life?

Where has this distro been all my life?
- Rolling release or point release
- Uses Snapper, an application that lets you rollback updates that break your system
- Installer lets you pick which DE and packages to add to minimize bloat
- Optional atomic updates
- Uses Yast, a GUI that lets you easily edit system config files

Attached: 2000px-OpenSUSE_Logo.svg.png (2000x1250, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:gldickens3#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1497942652368-g.png (547x435, 95K)

Yeah where?

Oh, that's not even remotely all that's good about it.
- patched Firefox to use filepicker with thumbnails
- patched GTK so it correctly scales according to monitor's DPI (Qt did this right since forever)
- package versions locked to repositories by default so you don't have to pin every single package like an idiot
- both YaST and zypper prompt with options to resolve package conflicts
- can customize installation down to single packages because the installer is so awesome

Seriously, OpenSUSE is the best distro all around.

I'll probably switch to it if they switch to using Cancel instead of Abort in the UI

My CPU is running full advance in idle, how can I retard it? (Kernel 4.4.126-48-default)

Nein.

Installing texlive in opensuse means adding more than 2000 packages to your system. There isn't even menulibre in the repos. What the actual fuck. Even solus has menulibre. An anonymous distro that was born 5 minutes ago. If you use openSUSE, well, welcome to 2006.

And yes, it doesn't boost also.
If I use vanilla kernel - wifi doesn't work, but CPU idles as it should. Interesting fact is that CPU heats more, but consumes less electricity according to powertop, and it seems to be true...
On Tumbleweeds 4.15+ kernel everything works, but I don't like how it occasionally breaks my WiFi each update.
>If you use openSUSE, well, welcome to 2006.
Like something bad.

>how can I retard it
Browse to r***it, /v/ or /b/ for about 20 minutes, that should do it.

No, it won't.

Is there any way to get it to render fonts well?
The defaults are TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, awful, disgusting, "I'd rather have Windows Cleartype" shit.

You at least have a German sense of humour, that should help in using a German os

sudo zypper ar -f -c ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ packman
sudo zypper install freetype
Add packman repo and install freetype, then go to YaST, fonts, enable subpixel rendering, select slight hinting, and your sub pixel order and lcdlight filter.

I have wonderful experience with TW, boot time on my ssd was close to 2 mins, after every update I had to rollback because some shit broke and Yast needed only 15 seconds to open....German enginering at its finest

Thank you very much. I guess I'll give Tumbleweed another chance then.
By the way, do you think it makes sense to use OpenSuse without KDE? It feels like the Gnome integration is as lazy as can be.
Also, why slight hinting?

Tried OpenSUSE with GNOME few months ago. Don't even think about it. Go for KDE or install something else.

You can do it on Leap as well, just change repo to Leap.
>Also, why slight hinting?
Because on my monitor it looks more readable. Feel free to play with settings.
Indeed, best KDE support, yet probably worst Gnome support.

I was disto hopping for longer time then most of you fags are on the internet and I have to say OP speaks the truth. Leap is best distro out there now. Best use of best DE + stability.

is tumbleweed any good? is leap software as outdated as debian?

I've tried tumbleweed on x240 and I had some small hw issues ( not worst then with other distros f.g. fedora ). Leap from the other hand works 100% OOB. Not sure are the packages are "fresh". Shit works so I don't care.

Has been really unstable for me whenever I used it.
Might have just been bad luck or my fault, but I'll stick to Manjaro for now.

I'm using Tumbleweed right now and so far no issues, except that GPU passthrough broke with kernel 4.16 but I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually.

The only thing that Opensuse sucks in opposite to Ubuntu is the font rendering. Holly shit, it sucks hard.
I love opensuse but i cant use it if my eyes cries blood every time i have to see the screen.

sudo zypper ar -f -c ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ packman
sudo zypper install freetype

And enable subpixel rendering.

any screenshot of the result? I test lot of solutions i found on internet and none of those results were as good as ubuntu font rendering system

Attached: Screenshot_20180422_203150.png (1440x900, 588K)

Works on my machine (LG MacBook Air 13" LCD 128 PPI)

Attached: Screenshot_20180422_203428.png (1012x630, 96K)

build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:gldickens3#

Use the ubuntu fontconfig and rendering libraries

>install nvidia driver
>randomly breaks after reboot
>try to reinstall driver
>kernel gets removed, can't boot

And into the trash it goes.

Blame novidia.

Thank you user! Tomorrow im going to try it ^-^

>atomic updates

Attached: 1402660061828.gif (320x240, 429K)

>using opensuse when fedora exists

Attached: 1524422977742.webm (404x718, 2.82M)

so you recommend using fedora gnome? cuz fedora kde sucks dick

>using fedora when opensuse exists

What other distro allows changing 'stable' to 'rolling' without breaking system?
OpenSUSE is just superior piece of German engineering, like VAG, where you can enable shit with VCDS.

>Downloads an additional 3GB of bloat on first update due to patterns
>broken package management system, specifically pakman or whatever the fuck it is for multimedia, leading to broken media capabitlities
>shit will break in a month anyway

>both YaST and zypper prompt with options to resolve package conflicts

No other distro gets package conflicts so congrats

>Downloads an additional 3GB of bloat on first update due to patterns
OpenSUSE was never intended to be minimal.
If you want to be minimal - you can disable this during install.
>broken package management system, specifically pakman or whatever the fuck it is for multimedia, leading to broken media capabitlities
paKman is in arch, here is zypper.
Yes, due to patents reasons they don't ship it with 'freetype' and media codecs, but there is a paCKman repo, that has all this, and nobody had really complained that it is broken or what.
They even have 'One-Click install' feature on their website, so you don't need even to add repo manually.
The only shit is always breaking is kernel related broadcom drivers. But it is on all distriburions. Solution is simple, add kernel-headers and gcc stuff to install official wl driver.
>shit will break in a month anyway
Werks with my hand and on my machine. On the other hand, Ubuntu broke (without any ability to fix it without spending too much time) after third update.
What about Slackware?

The installer literally lets you pick which packages to install. It's your own fault for adding all the extra applications to your system. Packman is not even an official repo. Nearly all distros break from updates but few have a system in place to rollback updates or support atomic updates like OpenSUSE.

Debian stable does.

>but few have a system in place to rollback
Only if you use BtrFs, that is recommended by default.
I use Ext4, I don't have this option, but it kindly keeps old kernels.

Bull. ie. shARtCH is full of em..

Btrfs does a lot more than keep old kernels. It keeps snapshots of your root partition so if an update in something like KDE breaks, you can rollback to the previous snapshot until a newer update fixes the problem. Snapshots are made automatically everytime you update. If you're worried about data loss, remember that the home partition is on XFS.

used for a very short period
seems good to me
but >muh bloat