I've been struggling with this book, I got about 500 pages in and its become so fucking boring...

I've been struggling with this book, I got about 500 pages in and its become so fucking boring. Can I just learn the rest of the basics by watching youtube tutorials and then refine my skill with something like 'make games with python' or will I be doing myself a disservice if I do this? I'm not bored with programming but this book is so exhaustive with the entire language and I'm sick of it

Attached: zzz.png (463x435, 173K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailycodingproblem.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just start working on a project, you'll learn the remaining on the fly.

Well I eventually want to work on machine learning or ai but that seems too advanced. What's a good beginner project? do you have that image of a big list of them?

dailycodingproblem.com/

this is good thanks user

That's not really advanced from a programming stand point. Do already have the maths background?

You can also read the python tutorial from the python website.

No not really I'm planning on being a math minor but I've only gotten as far as calc

and the python tutorial is also dry. Pure programming is just dull to me I guess. I need it to go towards a task.

I'm pretty ADD, so sometimes I can find books dry too. Maybe you're more of a visual learner. I can recommend the Python for Informatics series by Charles Severance. Originally on coursera, but I find youtube's interface easier to navigate, so you can find it there too.

When I learned Python, I'm pretty sure I didn't even learn how to make a class until I'd been using it for a year. I just learned the basics (lists, for loops, dictionaries) and then started doing webscraping projects with it.

For starting out in ML, try doing something with a NearestNeighbors classifier and read up about how it works. I use the one in the scikit-learn library.

Le machine learning meme

Basic calc should be enough for a start.

craftinginterpreters.com

I think I learn best with reading. I'm a traditional learner. Could a beginner learn from this coursera series? I tried one from them and it was for people with some experience in the language. thanks for the info btw

yeah fuck me for having an interest

Wanna know how I know you're going to give up programming in a couple of months?

Attached: 1056491687.jpg (859x720, 128K)

sure

I don't know how anyone can work through these books, after the first bit I feel like gouging out my eyeballs. Just look up interesting things to do with said language and start doing it. Even if you "write horrible code against our philosophies hurr durr" you learn what you did wrong and don't have to fuck that up later.

How could anyone write 500 pages on Python?

It's like 1000 pages or so. Maximum bs and describing multitasking and exotic tools. There are better books if you want to learn python.

>1000
1600 I believe

It's like this with all these books, it boils down to discipline. Nobody, nobody, enjoys reading a thousand pages to learn a language. But if you do it pays off in the long run. By the time you're done with the book you will feel comfortable with the language and that's worth a fucking lot.
It's not that you cannot get comfortable with a language by learning stuff as you encounter it, but it's way slower. Took me half a year to get comfortable with C++ doing it that way. Now I'm learning Elixir and erlang, and in less than a month I feel like I'm getting the language. Why? Because I've been going through books that may be boring but are able to teach you faster than anything else.

It's like an investment, you buy this stock and you lose money right now, but in a month from now on it's worth a thousand times its price and you're rich. Nobody likes the idea of losing money right now but when they tell you that you'll get so much more in the near future, it starts to sound like a good idea. You will not regret finishing that book.

Attached: JUST.png (667x324, 51K)

what are you trying to prove by posting one bad review from some random dude on the internet?

Some of us can install and program without printed help. At least check the book before make your verdict.

I borrowed that book when I had to work on something, but never read on anything more than the syntax. Instead, I just read online docs and learned everything else on the fly.

Id never written a line of code in my life or used linux before April but had an idea and found python was the ideal tool for the job given the vast resources and code online.
its been fun, everything I wanted to achieve was achieved and is still growing, if somebody said a month ago Id be building spiders and bots to trawl the internet for data, then use googles tensorflow to analyse images, then use them to do some other stuff.... Id have called you a liar.

Im thinking about getting some books, I find python fun to use even though I give no shits about learning it professionally. I have ideas I want to see happen, I dont want to be a programmer, as long as I know enough to map solutions and then fudge my way towards them Im happy. Are the books a waste of time for me or are they for non-students too?

python programming is a joke
you just use modules that do everything for you

You're dumb enough to respond to my bait posts

Thats a good thing

He's not wrong though. And as far as learning a new language goes, you're pretty much going to be in one of two positions:
- A complete beginner, in which case you need to get typing code and thinking about how to phrase a problem as a program. 1600 pages of verbal diarrhoea isn't going to get you thinking.

- You know another language well, and unless you're coming to e.g. Haskell from a C background, you only need to start learning what's different about the new language to start writing code in it. It might not be idiomatic code, but it's all you need to begin, and 1600 pages of verbal diarrhoea isn't going to help you get to that

You dont learn programming from books, you learn programming by programming. Find something to build and build it. Whenever you hit something you dont know how to implement, google it.

Attached: 1503112261615.png (400x406, 246K)