BACKUP

How often do you do a full backup of your OS and data? You do..backup your data, right?

Attached: Servers.png (512x512, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machine_(macOS)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>data
Daily to an internal drive, weekly to an external drive
>OS
Huh?

daily reminder to test your backups

The novice asked the backup master: "Master, now that my backups have good coverage, are taken frequently, are archived, and are distributed to the four corners of the earth, I have supreme confidence in them. Have I achieved enlightenment? Surely now I comprehend the Tao Of Backup?"

The master paused for one minute, then suddenly produced an axe and smashed the novice's disk drive to pieces. Calmly he said: "To believe in one's backups is one thing. To have to use them is another."

The novice looked very worried.

I only backup my docs / work now.

Planning on cloning the OS install too, just in case.

Or/and installing a spare OS copy on another volume and disk, if the current one ever fails.

I back up on an external drive every time I think I've added important new files or work on the current workspace.

I'd be worried too, because it'd take fucking forever to restore those backups and backups should only be used in life or dead emergency situations

You should definitely do it. It might not seem necessary but then when your system drive fails you will spend a ton of time getting it to how it was before.
I learned that lesson the hard way.

What do you all use for backups?

1-2 times / year

i use parity to ensure integrity

I just make a copy of everything when i remember on 2 external disks that i keep in a drawer, but i read about bit rot and stuff, and i dont even know what file system my backup disks use. Can i put one of those badass file systems that handle date corruption on an disk that is not constantly plugged in a nas?

apple does it automatically on my macbook

>TimeMachine does it automatically on my macbook
Fixed.
Apple isn't involved.

It's been bothering me in the back of my mind that I don't have any backups but I don't know what device to use to host my backups.

You can just use an external HDD.

wtf would I back up my OS? I'm not some pleb.

dd

Noob question how do I get started with backups? Is an external HDD good enough or should I got for a nas box or something?

A NAS, or two harddrives (external or internal). Or get one HDD and google drive pro and use rclone to upload and encrypt everything.

Ok, any tips on what to do or not do?

Nope, I'm just losing game data

I have more data(40TB) so my setup is a bit more involved than just an external HDD.

I'm using a 4U Supermicro X8DTL with FreeNas(ZFS) in RAID over LAN to my Windows.

I use RAID 1 and hope nothing gets deleted on accident.

Attached: 8CaAlQP.jpg (4016x6016, 1.61M)

i never back up my data because none of it is important. i could just download it all again

Attached: ede83db8a1995bda97cf21ae51787ec6.jpg (564x564, 62K)

Attached: 1476406824926.gif (433x358, 863K)

who is that semen demon?

While we're at it, how much storage do you all have?

Not enough.

I wish I could drop $2,000 on storage and just bask in all the data.

I use macrium reflect to backup my server. Both System and Data volumes. Clients get backed up by the server on daily basis. I keep two copies of backup data. One is a full backup which has everything. Other backup just has core files; content that would take ages to recreate/download again (even if I could cause you know torrents/links die). I keep the backups shutdown when not used. Also use a UPS on the server and I use shadow copies feature so if a file/folder does get deleted I can just restore it without having to touch my backup copies.

almost 12TB. which is small anymore. some user's have like 20+ (I'd hate to see the time It'd take to backup all 20+tb in one go)

I have about 16TiB and I have no idea how to back it up. I don't really want to build a second server just to mirror the NAS but I might have to.
Send help.

I don't have anything worth backing up on my computer tobh

Easy.

You don't backup 20TBs all in one go.
Use differentials.

If you don't use NTFS backup solutions are pretty robust, checksummed, and failure tolerant.

>Apple isn't involved.

>Time Machine is a backup software application distributed as part of macOS, desktop operating system developed by Apple
>developed by Apple

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machine_(macOS)

>internal
My desktop and laptop take automatic backups every hour with a cronjob. They backups are stored in a borg repository and have timestamps so I can return to whatever state I want. The laptop doesn't do backups when it's not docked obviously
>external
I'm working on it. I'm no sure if I should just push it to a relative with ssh or if I should just put it on a disk and carry that around
>does is work
Yes. My laptops ssd failed one time and I was able to restore a fully working system from the backup 20 minutes ago. It's running fine since a year with throat backup