Open Emacs

>open Emacs
>see this
>close Emacs

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-22_20-44-13.png (769x568, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/neovim/neovim/blob/master/src/nvim/version.c
spacemacs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>type vim
>see this
>sigkill terminal after struggling for 10 minutes trying to exit vim

Attached: Screenshot_2017-03-30_22-30-20.png (562x338, 16K)

>git message brings up vi
>kill it after struggling
>terminal is fucked up and keeps printing shit

>GNU
stopped reading right there

nice bait retard, maybe if you could read these things wouldn't seem so difficult and time consuming

Attached: 2018-04-23-005547_198x14_scrot.png (198x14, 3K)

>literally says in screenshot how exit
>struggle

It's a meme, making fun of GUItards who open vim on whim and conclude it's unusable. How new?

Your text editor is a joke.

Attached: exit vim most popular stack exchange question of all time.png (625x354, 24K)

it's called brainlet filter

the fuck is this brainletness bullshit

Attached: kek-pepe.jpg (399x385, 29K)

vim fails in the most basic ui design.

It gives instructions to exit, but the instructions are wrong. It's very easy to get into a state where it's impossible to exit. My first instinct before even reading the text is to press "q" which normally exits command line programs. Now it's recording a macro or something. Maybe I pressed some other keys trying to get back. And now the instructions are gone. And it's in a state where even typing ":quit" doesn't work. Even control-Z doesn't work.

Attached: exiting vim orly.jpg (1561x2048, 555K)

A text editor doesn't need a UI. Nobody who uses vim uses gvim, they use vim in terminal.

Attached: asdf.png (1137x650, 27K)

There is a reason people still use vi(m) 40+ years after it was designed

The UI is basically perfect

fuck ugandan children i just want to code. why cant these tards keep their politics to themselves? i dont see rsm sperging out about communism in his programmes

>help poor children in uganada
Anyone else switching to nano after this?

You know your editor is shit when the most viewed question ever is how to exit said editor.

>fork vim
>remove any MOTD mentioning uganda or things you don't like
>merge patches from upstream
>problem solved

literally just add
set shortmess+=I
to the dotfile

or go to this file github.com/neovim/neovim/blob/master/src/nvim/version.c and remove all ugandan references, it is open source software after all

Can someone post a link for the book, I cannot find this one on Amazone.

It's in the vimtutor.

Well I tried that, but on step 2 vimtutor says:
Type: :q! .
I'm not sure how many space (or are those backspaces? I need to insert after the Type:) I have also to type, the dot at the end of the command? That still doesn't work for me, maybe its an issue with Debian..

>>It gives instructions to exit, but the instructions are wrong.
No they aren't. Vim starts you off in normal mode.

>My first instinct before even reading the text is to press "q"
That's because you're a retard who ignores the colon that's very clearly printed on your screen.

It’s not being a retard it’s expecting the software to conform to standard practices.

Insofar as you quit Vim by pressing :q vim is conforming to the standards laid out for vi in POSIX.

It tells your right there how to exit Vim.

I use vim. It’s just that young people will not understand those commands given that explanation and it’s not being a retard. If I tell you to tack a sailboat you wouldn’t even know what I’m talking about it’s the same thing.
Whoever maintains vim obviously doesn’t give a fuck about being accessible to newcomers which is why vs code is more popular even though it doesn’t do anything vim can’t but it’s friendly to beginners

>Spending hours editing a text file.
>Need to press the w key but accidentally hit q instead.
>vim quits and lose hours of work.

Oh yeah a great idea.

Fucking godawful bait.

vim wont let you quit an unsaved buffer without :q!

Fake news. You have to type :q! to quit with an unsaved buffer.

The instructions are very clear. You only get yourself into trouble if you stubbornly refuse to follow the instructions and instead do something else because you think it should work a different way. That's not the instructions which are wrong, but the user.

Pressing q won't cause vim to quit unless you have no unsaved changes and also press enter afterwards.

Who the fuck doesn't start vim by running vim ?

Are you all retarded? He's pointing out why it would be retarded to have q as the quit shortcut.

it's called pretending to be retarded for internet points

Nobody uses Vi/Nvi.
People use vim/NeoVim.

They should use kakoune/Vis.

He doesn't use emacs -nw in his terminal

>>Who the fuck doesn't start vim by running vim ?
Probably brainlets who use gvim.

>Who the fuck doesn't start vim by running vim ?
i forgot for a second that vim cant do as much as emacs and that theres no reason to open vim for anything but quick sub 100 line edits on text files

This.

retard

I have vim sessions running that have been running for months. Between them I've several hundred files open and have edited god knows how many thousands of lines. None of them were started by running vim by itself without giving it an initial file.

holy fucking namefags, and those who reply to namefags. kill yourselves

Attached: Untitled.png (1901x1057, 309K)

the fuck are you talking about?

back to /v/ kiddo

Vim is like a shitty concert performance.
Entry is free but you must pay to leave.

You can edit your .emacs to hide the splash screen, FYI.

already did
like it isn't bad enough i have to support ugandans moving to europe with my taxes now i have to support their little shits too? fuck that

lrwxrwxrwx 1 user anon 13 Mar 28 20:49 vi -> /usr/bin/nano
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user anon 13 Mar 28 20:48 vim -> /usr/bin/nano

Attached: devilishb.jpg (199x253, 12K)

My n'wah.

spacemacs.org/

>install vs code
>open vs code
>wait few seconds
>do the work
Leave your memes faggots, and start to use real software.

one of the things that made me panic on Vim was accidentally hitting the caps-lock key while pressing j, I fucked up the whole file before :q!'ing out of there, didn't know J joined lines.

Now you know a new command, what's wrong with that? Just go :earlier 1m and you're back to before the fuckup

nothing wrong with this

nothing wrong, it was just funny

How do you use a text editor without a UI?

I can fap to this

I'm still salty that guides meant for absolute beginners use vi(m) without actually explaining what it is and how to use it.

vim can predict what you want and writes whatever you would. No interaction needed :^)

>Help poor children in Uganda!

hahah! nice programming joke.

>This is vim. the best text editor. We love niggers. We use our software to make you feel guilty. Are you a white poc? Then you can redeem yourself by reading this nigger ad 24/7 and after all that emotional pressure, you can donate your hard earned money that didn't end up in wellfare support for niggers in your country, to some other niggers in a different country.
>you don't like getting manipulated like that? you can always waste your time tinkering around with the code and remove any vim unrelated things we like to put there for emotional pressure! You don't know how to do that? Well, that sucks, you now have to read the nigger ad forever. You don't want to waste time fucking around with the code... well you have to watch the nigger ads then.
>vim's so good, you have to remove the Jow Forums nigger shit from it.
----------------------------------------------
>back to >>>>pol asshole
I think you meant >back to >>>>>vim

Let me know when there's a fork of VSCode without any M$ telemetry.
>inb4 you can disable it through the config
Wireshark would like to prove your definition of 'disable' wrong since VSC is still connecting to M$ servers.

>Open spacemacs
>See the loading progress bar
>Close and delete spacemacs
>Open Vis

>be freetard
>muh opensource
>muh show code everybody
>microsoft wants to see your code
>freetard triggered
Yeah you proven how brainless you are.

>>microsoft wants to see your code
im shy

it's the Unix Way™

>Users not invited xere

How do I know it's my code they want to see and not, say, the content of my home directory?

I use vim everyday and this shit happens to me soooo much.

>Not installing dashboard and evil mode

Is there a terminal based text editor that has the power of VIM and the usability of Emacs but with scripting shortcuts in something like Python or Bash?

Attached: 1510707158947.jpg (800x1200, 207K)

M-x shell, term or eshell?

Attached: 1500228846873.jpg (640x640, 87K)

ansi-term/eshell

Well, yes. The entire point is to be used alongside other system tools. The point of Emacs is having them inside of it.

Unironically nano is my editor of choice for quick edits.

exactly. I don't need my text-editor to have a calendar. There is something called an Operating System that can provide that.

I'd say emacs, but it doesn't fit the "has the power of VIM".
Emacs has more power than Vim, its scripting language, is more than just for scripting, it can be used for various dev topics. It's more powerful than simple scripting languages and emacs can handle it very well.... sometimes your scripts are just interpreted and if emacs decides that they are not running very fast, it compiles them.

Yeah I know. I too use an Operating System for that, it goes by the name of Emacs.

>this shit happens to me soooo much.
Why the wuck do you have caps lock on your programming keyboard?

Check out "Vis" it uses Lua and some bullshit inspired by Plan9.

so, you need an whole operating system just for a calendar?
People are running everything on web browsers nowadays, but this nigger complains about 100 lisp LOC running on an interpreter.
> I want my spreadsheet "app" on the cloud via V8 and my calendar on your finest *nix reimplementation.