Why do the strike pads on matchboxes (generally) have a hexagon pattern?

Why do the strike pads on matchboxes (generally) have a hexagon pattern?

Attached: D2926310-2CCB-46E5-877B-4C17B33FEEBD.jpg (442x333, 65K)

increases the firepower

It's the best way to pack cells together. Even bees know that!

You can pack more into the same area compared to circles.

Hexagons are the future, kid.

Then why not a solid rectangle?

Because it grants expert fire magic to all users.

Attached: it's ogre.png (799x600, 488K)

solid rectangles are a thing in the past. they were thicker then and would run out quicker compared to these (talking out of my ass on the second part btw but im sure its something like that)

The edges of the pads are sharp and provide a serrating friction for the match to strike more easily so the more edges there are in all directions the better.

High striking surface area, less material.

>would run out quicker compared to these (talking out of my ass
Obviously, it's the total opposite. It just doesn't really matter given the short service cycle and this is cheaper.

Good question. Good thread OP.

I have no idea though

they just save the material and is probably more resistant that way

-save material
-raised bumps let oxygen better in between them

less material, the tip of the match will grip inbetween the hexagons and drag over the edge of it increasing friction with short strokes as opposed to the long pulls you needed to do on old matchboxes of the 80s and 90s.
I remember being a kid and sometimes striking off the entire tip trying to get it lit on those because there wasn't enough resistance to easily ignite.

Wouldn't Triangles actually be better?

Curious question, user

You want raised edges to act as serrations and you don't want the match to be able to fall into a groove while you are striking it. Hexagons pack nicely and are stagered so they form no continuous lines.

I would think the material would start to wear off from the tips of the acute corners, until they had worn down into something approaching circles.

more like

>increased striking surface area
>15%better airflow
>nearly 5x cost compared to long term

Actually bees originally arrange their cells in a circular way, the hexagonal pattern just is a product of the malleability of wax

underrated post

Some do have a solid strikepad. They strike the match MUCH better. Not sure why it isn't more common, but from now on I'll only buy these ones.

I bet bees tried that before, but triangle bees died out to hexagon bees.

This, I also prefer the solid strikepad.

You don't strike matches on beehives do you