What is a computer science course like?

What is a intro to computer science course like? Do you need to know how to code or have knowledge of computers before entering this field?

Attached: index.jpg (374x135, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
lynda.com/JavaScript-tutorials/Four-Semesters-Computer-Science-5-Hours/604270-2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I mean like some knowledge of coding

no you don't.

you usually have a programming class, an algorithm class, a math class and some gender shit.

What gender shit?

We talk about memory addresses.

Why do more people drop out of computer classes then math?

Intro to anything classes usually do no require prerequisite knowledge of the subject. If they did, they would not be intro classes. If you can post on Jow Forums, you have enough knowledge for an intro CS course.

It was for the virgin autists who didn't know how to act around women besides their mother; but now seems to have been overtaken these days into a sjw, feminist unit.

Usually you start from the ground up but having some computer knowledge is helpful for extra credit.

Here, check out a few lectures of the Harvards CS course:
edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

You don't need to know shit, but obviously you'll have a nice headstart if you do.

basic mathematics is all you need, most intro CS courses don't assume you have coding knowledge

how high is the math in the field?

CS degrees generally have a math course in them, often discrete math

it's more like logic really

I mean like higher courses in cs require you to take higher math courses right? Do you have to take physics courses also?

Depends, if you gonna go into gamedev then you would need to be capable of vector math, quaternions, and Physics yeah. But other specialized fields require different Math.

different fields of cs need different math.

Maybe check this out

lynda.com/JavaScript-tutorials/Four-Semesters-Computer-Science-5-Hours/604270-2.html

is learning gml worth it if I want to become a game developer?

Depends if you're gonna use Game Maker a lot. I would recommend spending your time rather on learning a general more widely used programming language, whether C, Python, C#, C++, Java, etc doesn't matter alot. If you get proficient in one or two "real" languages so to speak then it would be an ease to use GML because most skills carry over from other programming languages.

Thus go learn a mainstream language first before you start using a specialized language.

If you need to take classes in gender shit then it's a meme program.

my intro to computer science course was basically java 101

Variables
Methods
Objects(OOP)
Arrays

Intro to CS 2 was
Arrays cont.
Multi-Dimensional Arrays
Array lists
Inheritence
enums
and some other stuff I don't remember

IT needs literally nothing, it's the brainlet concentration. IS needs Calc 1 and Prob and Stats. Pure CS neds Calc 1, Calc 2, Prob and Stats, Graph Theory, and Linear Algebra.

All of the above need Math for Computer Science which is literally just binary operations and logic problems.

>.gif with "Computer Science"
>professor crosses out "Computer"
>professor crosses out "Science"
CS is basically "Computer Engineering Lite", with nearly all the good stuff removed. Some good stuff remains, but not much.

This is how you figure out you're in a shit school.

my entire intro cs course has been in haskell.
has anyone else's college done this?

>haskell
I've heard of people using C++, Java, Python, and C# but never Haskell
What the fuck is that about?

Attached: 1523306740396.jpg (323x454, 137K)

the lecturer says it's the most 'pure' language for learning concepts

Attached: 1524084404132.gif (500x419, 239K)

>Do you need to understand a subject to take an intro course on it?
Do you not know what intro means? Are you mentally retarded?

It's not that dumb of a question, some "intro" classes I attended pretty much assumed you already knew the material.

>some "intro" classes I attended pretty much assumed you already knew the material.
Then it's not an intro class, or you're confusing "things you should learn in high school" with "subject specific knowledge at a 101 college level course."

Intro to computer science? God no. You just have to have some kind of interest in the subject and any normal introductory class will introduce you to the basic concepts, like any other intro course.

I'm talking about badly structured courses. I always did well in high school and still remember most of it.