Is pic related that bad? is it a good choice to start learning game design?

Is pic related that bad? is it a good choice to start learning game design?

Attached: ogimg.jpg (1200x630, 86K)

Jow Forums.org/vg/agdg

Yeah it's a great tool, only problem is that it's closed source and has licencing restrictions.
I would recommend checking out Godot because you can do whatever you want with it and don't have to read and think like a lawyer before selling or putting a game online.
Godot is on par with Unity but Unity has more external tooling available because it's so popular. Pic related is Godot.

Attached: realtime-global-illumination.jpg (960x588, 154K)

It's good. There will be many people that tell you it's shit due to it being popular.

just a horny day

>main UNITY office is literally underneath me

What do?

Wasn't Dark Souls built on Unity? Rather roll my own engine, but whatever.

No, use Godot

Don't listen to him, OP. Godot still doesn't have good documentation and the 3D tutorials are not there yet (it's good for 2D games though). Plus, Unity is actually used in the vidya industry so companies will look favorable at your resume if you know how to use it.

I don't think so, but hearthstone was. Unity is pretty intuitive, OP, I'm enjoying learning to use it.

bomb it

>'Go to declaration'
>Get a hexdump
But pretty fun overall

use Godot, Haxeflixel, or Love2D for 2D games

use Unreal for 3D

Unity is great for beginners, but it's also used by some professionals. If you're just learning design on Unity you can branch out to other engines later if desired.

The Soul's games and many other Japanese games are built on Sony's PhyreEngine.

godot could use help from people to write documentation and improve the tutorials, feel free to help out

>vidya industry companies
sure sounds fun having to deal with 16 hour work days during endless crunch time because unity fucked something up and the developers refuse to fix bugs or do anything

Car bomb

Fuck off Unity shill, the documentation is great and gets better by the day, there are plenty of 3D tutorials online and Godot is also actually used in the gaming industry.

cut hole in floor and jack off into it.

I want to just fuck around, create my own map, put stuff in it and relax that way. I've got some cg experience and wouldn't mind porting my own models. Is Unreal fine for that?

it's really good, the only reason it gets so much shit is because the only games that have the unity splash screen are shitty ones made in the free version.
I still prefer source for "just getting into it" game design

Sounds more like Source is for you.

it is because of the massive community following
no other engine has the amount of user guides and videos unity does

Source is fucking ugly and always was though, especially for outdoors (which is something I want).

Unity user here. No one in the industry cares for Godot. If they wanted to use a 3d rendering engine, they'd use Unreal before they even think of that shitty thing. Unity and Unreal are the industry standards.

>read and think like a lawyer before selling or putting a game online.
This desu. What a fucking hassle. I don't think I'd enjoy being harassed by Unity lawyers every time I try to release some shitty generic indie game.

>pirate pro version
>they never know whether you used Unity or not

Thank them on my behalf for providing a foothold into programming for dumbasses like me.

yes unreal is fine for that. but so is unity. it doesn't matter. just pick one and stick with it. the only reason I suggested Unreal is because it's trendy and there's loads of resources on it for doing everything you probably want to do.

Unity is the best game engine imo, can't really say anything about Unreal because I have no experience in it, nor do I plan to work with it. I have used plenty of other known engines as well.
For the people shilling godot, fuck off. I can't get over the absolute joke of how the engine makes every entity have it's own scene. It's so counter-intuitive and makes me not want to progress further.

Just because it's an industry standard doesn't mean it's good. In fact proprietary standards are never good.
They do, there's a trademark signature hidden in the code.

>I can't get over the absolute joke of how the engine makes every entity have it's own scene.
It's nice desu. It's more intuitive when you get used to it. It allows for very clean gamedesign and easy debugging.

it´s bad for pixelshit

Why would you even pirate pro when the only difference between pro and free is a splash screen and a darker editor interface?

I always had the impression that its slow and less efficient, but maybe is because is filled with shit developers

Only if you use the latest version, older ones are very unoptimized for modern hardware

Unreal send good because blueprints are quick and easy to build with