>strong enough gpus are basically unaffordable
>web sources are bitrate-starved garbage
>UHD-BDs are mostly upscaled from existing masters

Is there a bigger meme than 4K?

Attached: 4k.jpg (500x281, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah chroma sub-sampling. As far as I understand it there is a greyscale video and a color video saved in 99% of video out there except the color video is 25% the resolution of the greyscale video (display resolution). So in order to see "real" 1080p video you actually need "4K" video.

Worst part of all this is even blu-ray chroma sub-samples video to 4:2:0. So much for "high quality".

Attached: Downsample-Feature-Image-1-640x360.jpg (640x360, 43K)

>Not hooking up your 4k television to your media center and your gaming pc

Unless you look at invidual pixels, this is actually acceptable tradeoff. Research shows clearly that to human eye brightness is much more important than colour. For example, JPEGs and MPEGs work in the same way.

At low resolutions with low PPI + better color reproduction tech. This becomes a problem as both increase (see amoled 1080p phone screens).

please painfully slowly die in a fire

MODS! MODS! MODS! HE POSTED EQUINES

That's what I did.

Attached: 24 inch vs 65 inch comparison.jpg (837x942, 364K)

Yes. TV, current consoles, ultra settings, streaming and Blu-ray are all bigger memes than 4k.

Le epic troll xDD

4k is a meme!! Look at this shitty font using windows 10
Dont fall for the 4k jew!!!!

Attached: 4k.png (3840x2042, 1.42M)

>4k is a meme
Yes it is.
UHD is the non-meme name for it.

Attached: scaling.png (1499x1400, 473K)

Even bigger meme that is supported by neo Jow Forums

>10bit h.265 (HEVC) encoding if source is 8bit H.262 / MPEG-2 Video
>I can has now more colors than source had
>desu desu desu desu
>quality improved 180% over original
>you made me use 3% of my true power!
>the bitrate is over 9000!!!
>FLAC audio for improved sound even when source had MPEG-1 Audio Layer II 224kbps
>put it all in .mkv and animu tiddies rock harder!!!
>had to buy a Mac for better font rendering because I need subtitles and can has no any moonspeak skills

Previously posted one got deleted because somebody got butthurt of the fact that the post didn't agree with neo Jow Forums approved methods of saving anime tiddies for autists and font rendering.

Attached: linustechmeme.jpg (1280x720, 136K)

This will never be funny

Nice cope

>macs have ppi of over 200
>better fonts
pure coincidence

x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf

Just so nobody falls for these shitposts

native 10 font rendering looks like THAT??!!

UHD is a meme just for now, but it's the 1080p v2.0 in the future, when monitors and gpus able to drive it will be cheap enough for the majority of people.
1440p on the other hand is a literal meme, the bastard of a resolution.

Technically what you state is true but I think that you missed the point of the meme post you replied to. It talks about color and image quality, not bandwith.

Read the PDF. It can deliver better video quality

>So why does a AVC/H.264 10-bit encoder perform better than8-bit?When encoding with the 10-bit tool, the compression process is performed with at least 10-bit accuracy compared to only 8-bit otherwise. So there is less truncation errors, especially in the motion compensation stage, increasing the efficiency of compression tools. As a consequence, there is less need to quantize to achieve a given bit-rate. The net result is a better qualityfor the same bit-rate or conversely less bit-ratefor the same quality: between 5% and 20% on typical sources.

>>UHD-BDs are mostly upscaled from existing masters
That might have been true for early UHD blurays, but currently most are 3k or 4k+ masters

>Read the PDF. It can deliver better video quality
>It can deliver
>It can
>can

"Can" is not same as "will", because it depends on what kind of source is used. Polishing a turd for hours doesn't make it gold, it still remains a turd.

Point being that faggot has no reason to ridicule 10 bit encoding of 8 bit sources. It's superior in terms of video quality or bandwidth.

So let me get this straight, you would actually use 10bit HEVC for video and FLAC for audio if you had the mentioned 8bit MPEG 2 video from DVD as a source with an MP2 audio?

This makes the quality better how?
Why not use 8bit HEVC or even h264?

No because x265 is a steaming turd and lossy to lossless would be retarded

so now you agree with the arguments of the troll because somebody else had to explain the content to you?

>this is the absolute state of Jow Forums in 2018

the main advantage of using 10bit for low-bitrate encodes is because a 10bit colour gradient can be more compressed more efficiently than dithered 8bit colour (dithering is pure noise which is as uncompressable as it gets).
this is why its mostly effective for chinese cartoons. They are full of linear digitally coloured gradients, especially in shadows.
Obviously re-encoding AAC from a DVD to FLAC is fucking stupid and you'd hope that videos that come with FLAC audio have gotten is from a lossless BD source.

I agree it sucks how little high quality UHD (or even FHD) quality there is. But the more people that move to 4k screens the more content will eventually be brought out in proper high quality. So while currently it could certainly be considered a meme you should hope more people fall for it as it will increase the speed of high quality content release.

>compression
>better quality
Compression of any kind won't increase the quality. Also there's no reason to use 8bit HEVC since 10bit HEVC has hardware support unlike 10bit AVC.

Are you actually retarded or trolling? Nobody argued against the HEVC/FLAC part before. People were discussing the advantages of using a higher bit-depth when compressing videos.

>Blaming 4K and not the shekelshaving kikes behind the sandbagging

>no carpet
>no wall isolation panels
enjoy your echo

>>most TV stations haven't moved past 1080i

Dude, I'm dealing with sub 720p here.
For 720p to maybe the occasional 1080p I'd have to pay a monthly fee so fuck that

Even without chroma sub-sampling you'd still need a 4K camera to record true 1080p.

For true 4K you'd need an 8K camera and they are very expensive.

Lol, gotta love retards like you. You really do make the rest of us laugh.

Try watching Netflix series in 4K Dolby Vision, I don't regret having a 4K TV one bit.

>doesn't know about Bayer sensors.
>calls other people retarded.

Nigger, no one gives a fuck what you call "real 4k" or "real 1080"

No one has EVER seen "real" 1080p in their life at home unless they produce content.

You're talking about shit that is literally unnoticeable without doing frame by frame comparisons.

>figures out he was wrong all along.
>huurrrr! muh moving goalposts!!!!

Go literally kill yourself please.

No, you're being autistic and pedantic about something that DOESN'T EXIST.

Get over it, "real" 1080p according to you simply doesn't exist as a distributed media content, and NEVER WILL.

>"real" 1080p according to you simply doesn't exist as a distributed media content

Sure it does.
It's called "UHD".

No, because that's not how scalers work you dumb cunt.

You'd have to re-encode from UHD 4:2:0 down to 1080p 4:4:4, and nothing that currently exists is doing that on the fly.

Further, even if you DID do that, you'd still end up with worse image than you'd get with the source UHD 4:2:0.

Pretending it looks better after throwing away 1/4 of the resolution for a slightly better looking 1080p is just dumb.

Attached: 1522778262463.png (1953x1077, 1.62M)

Are you actually retarded, or do you have some reason you've spent the better part of 3 months trying to convince people UHD is worthless using very specious arguments?

Where did I say UHD is worthless?

I was just commenting that chroma-subsampling isn't the only reason you don't get true 4K.

If your camera only records colors at 1/4th the resolution you might as well use chroma-subsampling.
Up-scaling to 4:4:4 is silly, is all I'm saying.

>hurrr derp u r retard
Fucking American "debating skills".
This is why I laugh every time I see a dead American.

I wish I could enjoy echo, but the whole wall behind the sofa is just one big acoustic panel, so I can't enjoy any echo.

No, you're being purposely deceptive in your argument to fool people who don't know any better.

Or you're just autistic and retarded and can't even realize what you're doing.

>2020 (-2)
>TV stations
Just put in the extra 3€ for Netflix UHD and download 4k movies, faggot

Yeah bro. Can't wait to watch all these sport events on netflix :^)

One of the best looking pieces of sports I ever saw, was a Samsung UHD promo cut, fantastic colors and massive resolution. If sports were actually broadcast at that quality I'd probably pay for TV again.

As it currently is, meh, it's low res garbage and I just can't get interested in watching sports on TV.

true 1080p next to fake 4k, notice the fake 4k looks significantly better?

Attached: retard.png (631x414, 222K)

Yes, 3D is the biggest meme ever.

old shit may be rescanned for 4k, or possibly already scanned in at a resolution higher then 4k, and they use those to master 4k

some 1080p may have upscaled, but its not hard to find out what what is doing.

any new movie has a 4k master at least.

most tv stations are 4k capable if not doing their recording in 4k, cable companies however limit most of it to 720p

espn is one that I know is able to do 8k and does everything in 4k, you may be able to get them to stream 4k, i don't know.

It looks to me like everyone wants to hold off for 8k to be the norm, as that will be the final resolution that tv is broadcast in, because to get a tv to be so big that 16k makes sense would require 160+inch

and here is what that wiki page really looks like.

Attached: chrome_2018-04-23_16-14-56.png (3840x2039, 1.89M)

>not watching BBC Planet Earth 2 in 4k

it is literally better than going to africa yourself

no u

Attached: 2018-02-21 09.57.08.jpg (4032x2355, 2.24M)